Home
Posted By: Rock Chuck Hiring from high school - 09/08/22
We need to see more of this. A large NY construction company is hiring high school juniors as apprentices. After graduation, good ones will be offered full time work at up to $47/hour with full bennies. No school bills to pay back.

This is one way to beat the liberal colleges. JOBS
My neighbor is a high school principle.
Some of my best hires in the last 30+ years are young folks she recommended.

I have one now. Started 2 weeks ago, albeit one year out of high school.

She is a beast! She finished high school with a 3.6 GPA. Parents divorced her senior year. No money for college. She enlisted in the NG as a heavy equipment operator.
As I type she is loading a semi with 6K pound reels of cable.

We are in a blue collar business where a person like her can easily break six figures by 30 years old is she works hard, shows up continues to learn.
Posted By: BKinSD Re: Hiring from high school - 09/08/22
Apprenticeships and hiring out of HS pending tech school attendance and graduation has been quite successful for a number of South Dakota kids through the Build Dakota Scholarship program. Having the school and the BD program part of the deal has been a real game changer in finding the opportunities and making sure each side lives up to the deal. It wouldn't be for me and my kids but it sure is for substantial group albeit a minority of students.
Posted By: 22250rem Re: Hiring from high school - 09/08/22
There are still kids coming out of high school who aren't afraid of hard, honest work. Although it seems those kids are now a smaller percentage of every graduating class. I hear some of the trades are beginning to lose older, experienced guys to retirement and they are having trouble getting new young folks to replace them. Seeing that trend for years now, I figured there would be some stepping up of recruitment, training programs and other incentives.
Posted By: Dutch Re: Hiring from high school - 09/08/22
One of the things that I keep remembering most from my mentor, long time ago was the phrase: I can teach employees anything, except getting up at 6 AM on Monday morning.....

He was right. The good ones stand out at a very young age, although I have a hard time convincing an obviously capable young person not to go to college if they can swing it financially and they are going to study something worth while. We need good electricians and fork lift operators, but we also need good engineers.........
Posted By: ipopum Re: Hiring from high school - 09/08/22
I hired summer employees. The best help I could find were farm kids from the smaller towns. They knew how to work and only needed

to be shown what to do and how to do it. I had some school teachers that could not be taught.
Posted By: Old Coach Re: Hiring from high school - 09/08/22
My grandson is on an apprenticeship program.
He is 1 year out of HS.
They came to him after the first year and offered him $35 per hour plus benefits. He does have to work the 12-12 night shift.
With the overtime he will be making $90K per year.
He still lives at home and his job is only 10 minutes away.
He has always been very mechanical minded.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Hiring from high school - 09/08/22
Four year college doesn't prepare you for a job, community college AAS degree and apprenticeship are the way to well paying jobs.
Especially school district plumbers, who make more than retired teachers with TRS (TEACHER, not plumber, Retirement System) in Texas.
Posted By: tzone Re: Hiring from high school - 09/08/22
My son will graduate this year. He’s starting an apprentice program for heavy equipment right after. Will be paid mid $30/hr out of HS.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Hiring from high school - 09/08/22
I hired a 19yr old gal the other day and she'll start at $100K+ a year,with 6 months of vacation. She'll be making $150K+ in a couple years,with huge benefits. Hint.............
Posted By: Joel/AK Re: Hiring from high school - 09/08/22
I think it's great.
Posted By: funshooter Re: Hiring from high school - 09/08/22
Local 12 Operating Engineers Union
Hires 50 year old house wives and 35+ year old ex hair dressers to be welding Inspectors.
I know this as a Fact because I was a 3rd Party Over sight for both of them.
I had to show them how to do their job as well as how to fill out their reports.
They were working on CalTrans projects.

I was just told by another seasoned Inspector that they are now Hiring High School Graduates to be Building Inspectors and the Labs are having a hard time getting them to show up for work.
I bet they are paying them very well being in the Union

Local 12 has been on my projects in the past threatening my coworkers

I guess when the next Earthquake hits Commyfornia everything will be A OK

Think about it High School kid with no prior experience Inspecting Welders , Concrete and Masonry

What could go wrong.
It's about time the folks who actually contribute start getting paid way more instead of hedge funders and these college business majors. If there's no technicians, electricians, and tradesmen then everyone us screwed and we will have to have a ton of folks from Asia immigrate here to maintain infrastructure.
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Hiring from high school - 09/08/22
Originally Posted by ipopum
I hired summer employees. The best help I could find were farm kids from the smaller towns. They knew how to work and only needed

to be shown what to do and how to do it. I had some school teachers that could not be taught.
Our little county has a reputation in Cincinnati and Lexington for producing workers in the trades and skilled labor force. Daughter worked for a geo engineering company that had pretty much an open door for county residents on their drill crews.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Hiring from high school - 09/08/22
Working for farmers etc for under $5 / hour and no overtime then having to chase them down to get your paychecks is what motivated me to get a masters degree. These days I'd seriously look at a trade school. Electricians, hvac guys, and plumbers are making far more today than I ever had. I had an hvak guy charge me $530 to put in a non programmable $22 thermostat in a rental house. Told me it would be $89 then billed for $530 and threatened to lean me. My cousin had a plumber charge him over $1000 just to seat a toilet he already owned. One wax ring and two bolts, over $1000.

I'll remember who's who when things slow down.

Bb
Posted By: Dutch Re: Hiring from high school - 09/08/22
Originally Posted by Burleyboy

Bb

Oh, it will be EPIC!
Posted By: EdM Re: Hiring from high school - 09/09/22
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Four year college doesn't prepare you for a job, community college AAS degree and apprenticeship are the way to well paying jobs.

Consistently comical.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Hiring from high school - 09/09/22
I thought it was consistently comical that I earned nearly 2x what my BIL with a PhD made.
Posted By: Dutch Re: Hiring from high school - 09/09/22
I thought it was consistently comical that I earned nearly 2x what my BIL with a PhD made.

In a world where money is everything, that would mean something...
Posted By: EdM Re: Hiring from high school - 09/09/22

Your BIL was an idiot and typical of a number of PhD's let alone BA's and MA's. Note the "A's"
Posted By: CCCC Re: Hiring from high school - 09/09/22
Some of these posts have the scent of incredible.
Posted By: reivertom Re: Hiring from high school - 09/09/22
Gee....That sounds a lot like things were in the early 1900s. Around here. If you wanted to work on the rail road or steel mill, and if you did a good job in local summer jobs, there was a decent chance you would get a job when you graduate. All you needed was a decent reputation and maybe a good word from a person working there.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Hiring from high school - 09/09/22
Another cut and paste dooshnozzle earns his place on ignore.
Posted By: BKinSD Re: Hiring from high school - 09/09/22
Originally Posted by CCCC
Some of these posts have the scent of incredible.

No joke. Seems pretty easy to be positive about these kids. No need to run down others that I can see. This nonsense about all the tech school and farm kids being up working before dawn then off to earn straight A's while volunteering to teach sunday school is exactly that. Nonsense. There are some great kids in cities and farms, on campuses and in tech schools, and there are some real duds in all these places.
The masonry trade in N.C. is working hard to attract young people. Get paid well to learn, no college debt etc. we are having only moderate success. The mighty cell phone and social media derail a lot of them. The work ethic that was there for so many years appears to be gone.
Posted By: BKinSD Re: Hiring from high school - 09/09/22
Work ethic abounds in today's kids. You're competing with others for them. Blaming them for having no work ethic isn't going to make them want to join up with you.
Posted By: verg Re: Hiring from high school - 09/09/22
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I hired a 19yr old gal the other day and she'll start at $100K+ a year,with 6 months of vacation. She'll be making $150K+ in a couple years,with huge benefits. Hint.............

jeepers what do you do? I should inquire!!
Posted By: funshooter Re: Hiring from high school - 09/09/22
Originally Posted by reivertom
Gee....That sounds a lot like things were in the early 1900s. Around here. If you wanted to work on the rail road or steel mill, and if you did a good job in local summer jobs, there was a decent chance you would get a job when you graduate. All you needed was a decent reputation and maybe a good word from a person working there.

In High School we had Technical Trade classes back in the day.
We had to put together projects for a Community craft show to pass the Class.
My Senior years I put several of my projects in the show for the Parents and Local Community to see.
I had Machine Shop and Welding Shop.
The Instructors put name tags on your projects so that the public could see who made what.

We had a Fabrication Shop Owner walk threw the Classes.
His Daughter attended my High School.

He went up to the Welding Instructor and started asking questions about my work and what I wanted to do when I Graduated and the Instructor told him about me.

That guy Hired me sight unseen about 6 months before I Graduated because of the projects I put into the program.

2 years latter the Bulldozed the Shop to the ground to make a a Parking lot.

The School System needs t bring the Technical Program back into it before kids get bored and drop out after High school they can go right to work or get into a Trade school for more knowledge.

I have said for many years that we have 3 types of people.
The people that work good with their heads and can work behind a desk.
The People that are good at Sports
And the People that are good with their hands.
We need all 3 in the world one is not better than the other.
But it has been a long practice that the People that work with their hands are looked down to as a lower form of life form.
This discrimination needs to be reversed
I work for a large chemical plant with mostly good paying blue collar jobs. Currently there’s two 19 year old kid that are sons of foreman that hired in out of HS. One worked at McDonald’s for a couple of years while in HS and the other on a farm owned by his grandparents. Both are rock solid good hardworking, confident, respectful kids that handle themselves well above their age. They hired in knowing what was expected and are a testament to good parenting.

I’m not sure how mainstreaming trades into HS would work. I can see it being a benefit to a lot of kids in the short run but millions of kids being pumped into the trades would potentially bring down wages in the long run. That and in today’s world girls would be actively recruited and probably expected to compromise half of the class.
Posted By: las Re: Hiring from high school - 09/09/22
"Compromise half the class"...... Some will, some won't.

I think you meant "comprise", but I like your version better. smile
Posted By: joken2 Re: Hiring from high school - 09/09/22
I'm a firm believer in high schools offering a skilled trades curriculum and employers hiring those who participate but what has been a common problem for employers in the past and still is nowadays is finding qualified young folks that can also pass drug testing.
Posted By: funshooter Re: Hiring from high school - 09/09/22
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
I work for a large chemical plant with mostly good paying blue collar jobs. Currently there’s two 19 year old kid that are sons of foreman that hired in out of HS. One worked at McDonald’s for a couple of years while in HS and the other on a farm owned by his grandparents. Both are rock solid good hardworking, confident, respectful kids that handle themselves well above their age. They hired in knowing what was expected and are a testament to good parenting.

I’m not sure how mainstreaming trades into HS would work. I can see it being a benefit to a lot of kids in the short run but millions of kids being pumped into the trades would potentially bring down wages in the long run. That and in today’s world girls would be actively recruited and probably expected to compromise half of the class.

We had Auto , Auto body and Fender ,Welding , Machine Shop , Wood Shop, Electronics and Drafting

I had a Friend that did the Auto Body and Fender class he entered his car in a State Competition and won first place took the car to a College level Competition all the way to New York from Utah and won first place.
He had a guy approach him to go into business together and the guy screwed him over real bad and almost bankrupted him.

In our Wood Shop the Instructor had connections with a Clock works manufacturer in Germany and the kids that wanted to could build Grandfather Clocks. We had a Kid that built 3 of them. 1 for his dad , 1 for his mom and 1 for himself

In our Machine Shop our Instructor had the advanced kids building Power tools and Equipment .
Or Auto Shop had 2 Computers when most of the Mechanic Shops back then could not afford them.

Our Welding Shop had a Retired Chicago Bridge and Iron Retiree teach the Class and the students that wanted to could get Certified while they were still in High School.
I was Stupid and did not do it and it took me 2 years out of School to get the shop I worked in to let me take the test.

Our Electronics Shop had kids building their own Home Computers before there were home Computers in the stores.

That was back when the Instructors cared about the students

Having the Technical Trades in High School give the kids an opportunity to see what they are capable of and give them a taste of what work can be done when they get out of School.

With out it some kids never get exposed to different types of work.
Our Society puts to much demand for our kids to go into desk jobs and discredits the Technical Trades in this Country
Posted By: CCCC Re: Hiring from high school - 09/10/22
Among other chores, I created, helped provide and supported vocational education programs designed to prepare young people (and some older) to step into responsible positions in various trades and vocations. These were a wide range of career programs. We were very good at doing this and enjoyed success, but it was not easy work.

At times, the "academic" types in our institutions were uncooperative and often jealous (to do this work well, the academic components must be of high quality and mastered by the student); the folks from various vocational "fields" can be very helpful as advisory boards, but some of them will try to exercise their self-interest which can take aspects of vocational ed programs down rabbit holes; since about 1990, the growing and deleterious emphasis on the "certified" or "credentialed" individual rather than the self learned and skilled/competent person has undermined expectations for excellence in vocational and other aspects of education. And, some relationships with "trade organizations" can bring considerable pain to the venture.

It is great work, and gives great rewards. As do some, don't make the mistake of presenting it as a simplistic and "easy peazy".
Posted By: hanco Re: Hiring from high school - 09/10/22
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
Working for farmers etc for under $5 / hour and no overtime then having to chase them down to get your paychecks is what motivated me to get a masters degree. These days I'd seriously look at a trade school. Electricians, hvac guys, and plumbers are making far more today than I ever had. I had an hvak guy charge me $530 to put in a non programmable $22 thermostat in a rental house. Told me it would be $89 then billed for $530 and threatened to lean me. My cousin had a plumber charge him over $1000 just to seat a toilet he already owned. One wax ring and two bolts, over $1000.

Bb

Charging that much is stealing, always get a signed estimate
For a long time the mantra became “prepare every kid for college”. I’m delighted to see the pendulum beginning to swing back.
Originally Posted by WhiteTail48
Especially school district plumbers, who make more than retired teachers with TRS (TEACHER, not plumber, Retirement System) in Texas.

When I left I was making as much as most of the high school principals. The plumbers, AC boys, and electricians were 45 plus. With overtime, 130,000 a year.

They can’t hire enough custodians, are paying maintenance people time and a half to clean buildings. They are working their 8 hours during the week, plus 4 hours to clean, then 8 to 10 on Saturdays. You get 2.3% for every year of service, 80% for 35 years. That’s 80% of your best 5 year average. I was one of the last 3 year average people.
My retirement, plus my SS, and union pension is pretty good, Wifey will get th TRS pension as long as she lives also. I am very fortunate, but I took a 12.00 an hour pay cut to go to work there. It took years to get that back.
Hiring hs students can be very rewarding. One of the major challenges with that is keeping in compliance with labor laws for minors. Lots of normal construction activities they legally can’t be exposed to, operating most types of medium duty equipment for example.

Also, paying high wages is all fine and good, but not great for the customer. A beginning level of knowledge is not something customers should pay high dollars for. Higher wages has to be balanced by high bill rates. However with limited experience the beginning worker is not often a welcome sight when the customer sees how much they have to pay.

Highschool kids are great but not all of them and not in all circumstances.
The child labor laws seem designed to make sure kids leave school with NO hands-on knowledge.
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
The masonry trade in N.C. is working hard to attract young people. Get paid well to learn, no college debt etc. we are having only moderate success. The mighty cell phone and social media derail a lot of them. The work ethic that was there for so many years appears to be gone.

I worked construction for 20 years, no old masons, they broke down by 40, stooped over, very hard trade on the body. Them boys were on the scaffold at 7:00am, trowel in hand, sling mud, laying blocks or bricks, stopped for lunch at 12:00, trowel in hand at 12:30, worked until 3:30. Meskins have taken it over here.
Posted By: Joel/AK Re: Hiring from high school - 09/10/22
I took heavy equipment mechanic at a votech school my junior and senior year. My instructor set me up with a job in my senior year working with a company on semis and garbage trucks.

In the 24 years in the field, I made good money. Doing good now so now I'm in my midlife crisis job (for the last 9 years) building Allison transmissions.

I really don't regret any of it. Plus, no college loans
Posted By: antlers Re: Hiring from high school - 09/10/22
I took oxy-acetylene torch and arc welding, and small engine repair in the eleventh grade. Hated that schit. Bored me to death. Can’t imagine havin’ to do it for a livin’.

I’m glad I went to college and got my degree in the field that I did. I was fortunate. My work challenges me every day, still.

To each his own.

Pros and cons to pretty much everything in life.
Posted By: funshooter Re: Hiring from high school - 09/10/22
Originally Posted by mark shubert
The child labor laws seem designed to make sure kids leave school with NO hands-on knowledge.

I have had a job since I was 8 years old doing various thing
In High School I was welding up stands for the free ads they have out side of stores
At the time they were called Magic Ads.
I went after school and some times I would work until 2am.

No one ever told me about Child Labor Laws

The IRS shut my worm business down when I was around 11 or 12.
I made $2000 in a summer with that business and that was in the early early 70s where money was worth something.
Posted By: colodog Re: Hiring from high school - 09/10/22
The local HS is very serious about getting the kids that want a technical job, placed in the right classes by 9-10th grade.
Concentrating on getting the classes that'll prepare them for their career choice.

They have a big push to get kids involved with SkillsUSA and competing/connecting with businesses in the trades that also go to the competitions. Local, regional and national.

They also give students class credit for working as apprentices at the local auto shops, modular home construction, farms, welding shops etc instead of sitting in classes.

Get the grades to show you're serious and they'll work to get you started in a career.

Sit on your hands and get left behind.
Posted By: smarquez Re: Hiring from high school - 09/10/22
I am taking a welding class in adult school and the teachers aids are all HS students. She has a few that competed statewide and scored very well in stick, mig and tig. These kids get to burn a lot of metal. Some have gone on to real jobs making real money. I'm sure they could get pipe/construction certs after high school since they are offered everywhere here. I'm sure they can get more specialized training to work in aerospace too. It's probably more of a lift in life than these kids realize since this particular school district is pretty ghetto.
Posted By: funshooter Re: Hiring from high school - 09/10/22
Originally Posted by smarquez
I am taking a welding class in adult school and the teachers aids are all HS students. She has a few that competed statewide and scored very well in stick, mig and tig. These kids get to burn a lot of metal. Some have gone on to real jobs making real money. I'm sure they could get pipe/construction certs after high school since they are offered everywhere here. I'm sure they can get more specialized training to work in aerospace too. It's probably more of a lift in life than these kids realize since this particular school district is pretty ghetto.

I have a Friend that has been approached several times to help Colton School District get the Tech. Trade classes started back up.
He was an instructor at CET and Summit both in Colton
This was several years ago and they could not get past the Legal red tape and Insurance Co.

He was approached by UEI and tried getting me in there and the BS that UEI put both of us threw was to much for both of us.
I called him the day I had had enough and told them to stick it.
And He told me that he was in the middle of an Interview with them and got up and walked out after telling them to Shove it where the Sun Never Shines (same day for both of us)

It is Sad that Administrators can not get along with the guys that really know how to teach these programs,
They bring way to many politics into the programs and schools.
Posted By: Judman Re: Hiring from high school - 09/10/22

Oh ya such a great decision!!! 👊🏻😂😂

She’s gonna waste a day before/after her hitch tramping around airports to get home, airfare, be stuck with a camp full of culls on the slope trying to fuuck her constantly, won’t be able to have a normal family life due to being stuck at camp 2-3 weeks at a time, ya great “career” you ignorant dummy!! Haha SMH

Oh, fuucking laughing……….
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Hiring from high school - 09/10/22
It is fascinatingly HILARIOUS,that those who can't begin to make it in the Private Sector,"live" so VERY vicariously and extoll their very WELL founded Insecurities,at every opportunity. Hint.

The kid lives local and the flights are of course free. On top of that gratis arrangement,one retains the accrued mileage for same. As to "languishing" in "commute",that is fhuqking FUNNY,as per the stopwatch and Bank Account. Hint.

If a 19yr old is "stuck" making $100,000+ a year,with 26wks of Vacation annually and exceptional benefits,paving the course for THE brightest of horizons,they can certainly leave. "Oddly" enough,that don't happen. Hint.

Brokedick Crying Kchunts tend to Fantasize that they "could too" and that ain't where Reality happens. Hint.

Much to the their chagrin. Hint.......................
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Hiring from high school - 09/11/22
I couldn't do the time away from home. And I don't even have kids.

Much rather make less money and live where I live.
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Yep.
Posted By: Judman Re: Hiring from high school - 09/11/22
It is fascinatingly HILARIOUS,that those who can't begin to make it in the Private Sector,"live" so VERY vicariously and extoll their very WELL founded Insecurities,at every opportunity. Hint.

The kid lives local and the flights are of course free. On top of that gratis arrangement,one retains the accrued mileage for same. As to "languishing" in "commute",that is fhuqking FUNNY,as per the stopwatch and Bank Account. Hint.

If a 19yr old is "stuck" making $100,000+ a year,with 26wks of Vacation annually and exceptional benefits,paving the course for THE brightest of horizons,they can certainly leave. "Oddly" enough,that don't happen. Hint.

Brokedick Crying Kchunts tend to Fantasize that they "could too" and that ain't where Reality happens. Hint.

Much to the their chagrin. Hint.......................

Great career choice, she won’t last a year you stupid fuuck. You think she might want a family? Great career choice for raising a family!! You know that you moronic dummy..

Fuucking laughing…..
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Hiring from high school - 09/11/22
Crying Karen,

The last gal I hired,of the same age and experience,simply CRUSHED her career. She was $175K+ quick,banked the means and left after the Company paid out their last $75K bonus to all 3000+ employees. She's due in a bit and her family frets nothing fiscal,though same consumes you. The next $75K bonus to all,probably ain't gonna suck either,but if it do I'll tell you. Hint. LAUGHING!

I realize you need to borrow the numbers,to formulate your bitching,as you can't even begin to Dream upon said scale. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................
Liar Larry, money grew on trees while you cut, you make “doctors wages “😂 now, you have a worn out piece of shiit truck,(4) broke down boats in your yard, along with a broken treadmill and ladder’s 😂😂, a shiity shack for a house, do no traveling or hunting in your home state, and have a pile of shiit riggin. Either you’re the lyingest mother fuucker on the www or the dumbest fuucker on the www. I tend to think both!! Haha

Now tell the www how the “slope” career and marriage/family life works out you dumbfuuck!!

Fuucking laughing….
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Hiring from high school - 09/11/22
Jud, homegrown sirloin is about to hit the grill while us humans hang out with the dogs.

Being home never sucks.....lol

Cheers brother!
Haha, ya, it has its benefits brother Samuel!👊🏻

Cheers back atcha
CryingKaren,

Pardon my not being "WOKE",though you partake mightily...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Keep extolling them WELL founded Insecurities,as you think about me constantly and hate yourself for good reason(s). Hint.

Bless your poor poor(literally) heart,for trying though!

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............
Liar Larry, just quit being a bitch and lying, and I’ll quit rubbing your hog neck in your negative flippant bullshiit. Pinky promise 😘
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Hiring from high school - 09/11/22
Disregard...
Crying Karen,

It is simply fhuqking FASCINATING,that your "life" has never generated a 19yr old girl's opportunity,as you wax eloquent upon your Brokedicktitude...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even YOU can "afford" to "contribute". Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............

Wait til you have kids, it’ll look like one hell of an opportunity!
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Hiring from high school - 09/11/22
Originally Posted by jackmountain

Wait til you have kids, it’ll look like one hell of an opportunity!

Oh come on now!
Crying Karen,

It is simply fhuqking FASCINATING,that your "life" has never generated a 19yr old girl's opportunity,as you wax eloquent upon your Brokedicktitude...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even YOU can "afford" to "contribute". Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............

You keep this behavior up, “you” just mind find another wife!! 😂😂😘

Naw, just shiitin ya!! Haha
Posted By: EdM Re: Hiring from high school - 09/11/22

It was tough Sam and my stellar wife made it work, with three sons... I really had no option.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Hiring from high school - 09/11/22
What do you mean...no option?
Posted By: Joel/AK Re: Hiring from high school - 09/11/22
I couldn't work remote to leave my daughter and wife.

7 figures maybe.....

Basically not gonna happen
Posted By: EdM Re: Hiring from high school - 09/11/22
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Reaching a level in the company that could not justify me working non-existent sub-10 billion dollar US projects. I guess I could have retired sooner than 53.

money.
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

money.

Yep. He never misses an opportunity to tell us how much he’s got.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Hiring from high school - 09/11/22
Th OP is about a bridge building outfit.

And it is a bit disingenuous.

These are government scale jobs. The labor rate is set in the contract,
Not by the employers. Bridge building. Hard, hot outside work.
Work your ass out when you can, nothing if rained out.
Traveling, living out of a suitcase in motels.
At your expense, or the bosses? Depends on contractor.

One of the biggest highway contractors has a facility a couple miles from here. I've driven dump truck for them, know a lot of guys who are bridgfe crew. Or other highway contract. Guys always bragging about $/he.
But they don't seem well off?
Might be because those jobs aren't going to pay 2080+ hours/yr.
Their insurance is deducted when they work for when they don't......

Worked all kind of jobs when young, would have jumped right on this.
Actually did similar work at 18.

But it's not as rosy as presented.
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: Hiring from high school - 09/11/22

You're here in Indiana, and should know that a graduate with a 4 year civil engineering degree from Purdue will start at a min of $65k/yr and only go up from there. And will have a 40+ year career. Smaller numbers of engineers, increases pay.....
Originally Posted by Kimber7man

You're here in Indiana, and should know that a graduate with a 4 year civil engineering degree from Purdue will start at a min of $65k/yr and only go up from there. And will have a 40+ year career. Smaller numbers of engineers, increases pay.....

Will that Purdue engineer be making $150k a year before he/she hits 30? Typically speaking...

35?

40?

Again... Typically speaking
Point being... I know 29 year old welder @ $100k.

HVAC folks with small businesses at $200k+... under 35.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Th OP is about a bridge building outfit.

And it is a bit disingenuous.

These are government scale jobs. The labor rate is set in the contract,
Not by the employers. Bridge building. Hard, hot outside work.
Work your ass out when you can, nothing if rained out.
Traveling, living out of a suitcase in motels.
At your expense, or the bosses? Depends on contractor.

One of the biggest highway contractors has a facility a couple miles from here. I've driven dump truck for them, know a lot of guys who are bridgfe crew. Or other highway contract. Guys always bragging about $/he.
But they don't seem well off?
Might be because those jobs aren't going to pay 2080+ hours/yr.
Their insurance is deducted when they work for when they don't......

Worked all kind of jobs when young, would have jumped right on this.
Actually did similar work at 18.

But it's not as rosy as presented.

Yes and no...

Factor in the Per diem (tax write off for employer) and the particular skill set involved...

Construction can pay very very well...

-------------------------

Roofers and grunts... hell no.

Skill... hell yes.
This Davis Bacon for Harris Texas (just a random grab)...

DB Harris County Texas

California and NY is probably 2x or 3x that...

If per diem is also added... goes up from there.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Hiring from high school - 09/11/22
Significant experience tells me that the community/technical college route has been, and will be, excellent for some students - leading to "well paying jobs".

Then again, significant experience tells me that the first sentence in that post is badly wrong - and hints at gross ignorance of the actualities. Might that be a clue that study at a "four year college" could help overcome some gross ignorance?
If a kid wants to go to a 4 year college, I would encourage them to get a Business degree, then follow that up with a technical/skilled trade certification. That will set them up really well. ANYONE can benefit from a business degree - electrician, carpenter, plumber, neurosurgeon, engineer.....
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Hiring from high school - 09/12/22
WRONG, I have both a four year college degree and a community college associate degree, I know where of I speak. I have earned significantly more with the knowledge gained with the associate degree than with the BA. I have Journeyman credentials in two professions and the last several years of my career worked as a Manufacturing Engineer.
Posted By: Dutch Re: Hiring from high school - 09/12/22
I know from personal experience that the drop out rate on some "associates" programs is north of 90%.

SOME kids will do well in community college, without a doubt. Many of those will go on to four year degrees. On the other side, MANY go to community college, pushed by family, communities, "education programs" (G-d help us all), and what not, and very (very, VERY) few of those make it through the first serious round of tests.
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
If a kid wants to go to a 4 year college, I would encourage them to get a Business degree, then follow that up with a technical/skilled trade certification. That will set them up really well. ANYONE can benefit from a business degree - electrician, carpenter, plumber, neurosurgeon, engineer.....

1982 my dad told me to major in whatever, but at least get a Business minor. It was great advice that I didn’t take, but I said the same thing to my daughter in 2002. At her college graduation party I was talking to my dad when she interrupted us to say thank you for the wise advice about the business minor. My dad looked at me and said you little bastard, I told you the same thing and you didn’t do it.
Yep, I replied, but I knew it was good advice so I said the same thing to Krista.

I have an English degree and an MBA. A Business minor sure would have helped.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Hiring from high school - 09/12/22
WRONG, I have both a four year college degree and a community college associate degree, I know where of I speak. I have earned significantly more with the knowledge gained with the associate degree than with the BA. I have Journeyman credentials in two professions and the last several years of my career worked as a Manufacturing Engineer.
Well, goody for you - but the post was not WRONG at all. You should realize that a sample of one - your case - can be very informative and convincing - to one.

Are you thinking that you can extrapolate, from your single case, a sweeping statement about all college students and programs?

Any decent four-year degree should have involved learning deep and broad enough to enable that person to understand that the larger world often is quite different from what one sees staring at his navel. Further, some may see educational experiences as leading to things greater than a dollar sign.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Hiring from high school - 09/12/22
I carry a Master Degree in Architecture from a top 5 program (at the time). Yale, MIT, Virginia Tech, Harvard, Cornell all jockey-ed for #1 at the time.

I have done FAR BETTER with trades... than I ever did with paper.

Having a plan... TRUMPS EVERYTHING!
Posted By: smarquez Re: Hiring from high school - 09/12/22
Originally Posted by funshooter

I have a Friend that has been approached several times to help Colton School District get the Tech. Trade classes started back up.
This was several years ago and they could not get past the Legal red tape and Insurance Co.

He was approached by UEI and tried getting me in there and the BS that UEI put both of us threw was to much for both of us.
And He told me that he was in the middle of an Interview with them and got up and walked out after telling them to Shove it where the Sun Never Shines (same day for both of us)

It is Sad that Administrators can not get along with the guys that really know how to teach these programs,
I'm right up the road in Upland at Chaffey High. My instructor is a woman that busts her ass. She teaches regular welding classes, ROP and then adults. Monday is a long day for here. I don't know how she got in there but she basically built the program they have and it is very popular.
Posted By: funshooter Re: Hiring from high school - 09/12/22

I'm right up the road in Upland at Chaffey High. My instructor is a woman that busts her ass. She teaches regular welding classes, ROP and then adults. Monday is a long day for here. I don't know how she got in there but she basically built the program they have and it is very popular.

They need to get more Schools involved with the Tech. Programs and they would have less Drop Outs if they did.

A hard Working Teacher that Cares makes a Huge difference
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Hiring from high school - 09/12/22

Beautiful stuff!
Posted By: hanco Re: Hiring from high school - 09/12/22
I’ve welded a lot, AC line, gas lines, fire lines. I don’t know if I’d want to do that for a living. It’s hot in the summer, cold in the winter. If it was part of another trade, like plumbing or pipefitting, it isn’t so bad. It is nice to know to build things you want, deer stand frames, trailers, bbq pits, etc. I like doing it, but all day, every day for a lifetime, don’t think so. That just my opinion on being a welder.
© 24hourcampfire