Home
What say you? Ashes to ashes, dust to dust, garden to garden?

Several states allow for human bodies to be composted. Are you ready for your kids to garden with you one more time and let you help feed the grand kids for another couple of years?

https://www.greenmatters.com/p/human-composting-facility

Human composting, an eco-friendly alternative to traditional burial, has already been made legal in Colorado, Oregon, Vermont, and Washington. Plus, states including California, Illinois, Massachusetts, and New York have introduced legislation to legalize the process. So as the carbon neutral burial process grows in legality across the nation, more and more human composting facilities and funeral homes are springing up.

Thinking about your end of life can be scary — and made even scarier when considering the high environmental impacts of traditional death practices such as burial and cremation.

So if you are interested in learning more about human composting and your body returning to the earth when you leave this planet, keep reading for a look into a few of the innovative funeral homes leading the way in human composting, aka natural organic reduction.

Recompose, which is based in Kent, Wash., is a full-service funeral home that works directly with clients and families for empathetic end-of-life processes. After a client passes away, for 30 days, the Recompose team regularly mixes the body with soil, alfalfa, woodchips, and straw in a Recompose vessel.

Once the body has fully turned into soil, they remove any items that did not break down, such as dental fillings or metal pins and screws, and recycle them; the soil is then moved to a bin for several more weeks to cure and dry. Recompose will then offer some topsoil to the person’s loved ones; otherwise, it will be donated to a conservation partner.

Recompose’s full-service burial (including local transportation of the body, the entire natural organic reduction process, death certificate filing, an online obituary, and more) costs​ $7,000. The company’s services are open to people anywhere; but you’ll be responsible for paying to transport the body to Washington.

Not only was Recompose the first licensed human composting funeral home to open in the U.S., but Recompose and its founder Katrina Spade actually inspired a Washington bill to legalize the process in the state back in 2019. Additionally, the Recompose team is also helping pave the way for other states to legalize human composting, which you can learn more about on the public policy section of Recompose’s website. The company is also planning to open a second location by the end of 2022, in Colorado.
I want my buds to use me for chum for their offshore fishing trips.
After composting, Aunt Bessy has the same effect on plants as cow manure.
$7,000 to compost or $1200+/- direct cremation.....

'Green' ain't cheap.....
Being green is about the wealthy 'paying their fair share' except for the liberal wealthy with the proper loopholes.
God seems to care enough about my body that He promises a resurrection & glorification of it, and therefore Christians have historically buried their dead when possible.

So that’s where I tend to lean…
My preference is to be laid out for the ravens and other scavengers. Otherwise, natural decomposition in the ground should work. It seems fine in our pet cemetery. Wrap the dearly departed in a burlap bag and put them in the dirt. GD
Originally Posted by efw
God seems to care enough about my body that He promises a resurrection & glorification of it, and therefore Christians have historically buried their dead when possible.

I tend to think that if 'whatever is going to happen later' is incumbent on, dependent, or affected by what we do, or is done, to a deceased body, then we would have been told what to do with it.....

JMHO....
Dutch only gave us a narrow set of choices...Soylent Green seems the most likely trend if the One True Party of the donkey maintains power..one way or another.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I think that is a dangerous remark, considering the OP appears to be in the fish farming business, don't give him ideas.
Lay me out in the desert or forest and everything can take it's share.

Kent
Seems to me that if they just put you in the ground without embalming, without a steel coffin or concrete vault, the same thing would be accomplished. Me, I will be cremated.
Originally Posted by gnnrsig40
Seems to me that if they just put you in the ground without embalming, without a steel coffin or concrete vault, the same thing would be accomplished. Me, I will be cremated.
Embalming is a creepy practice, so are wakes with an embalmed corpse laying in a box and having people stare at it. Saw both my parents that way and I guarantee it ain't going to happen to me. Throw me in the ground without a box and call it good.
Originally Posted by efw

Are you suggesting that God is incapable of resurrecting a cremated body?
Simply cremated.
Cremated for sure
Originally Posted by efw

How much of the body is left for those buried 2-300 years ago?

Wood chipper?

Pre or post mortem? wink
Don’t care….I’ll be dead
Cremation seems to be the quickest ,easiest and most economical . Wife can spread my ashes off the back of my horse on our favorite trails.
Cremation, Got my camo urn on the safe waiting, its all paid for already.
Originally Posted by greydog
My preference is to be laid out for the ravens and other scavengers. Otherwise, natural decomposition in the ground should work. It seems fine in our pet cemetery. Wrap the dearly departed in a burlap bag and put them in the dirt. GD

The Parsi corpse is exposed to the rays of the sun, and the corpse is consumed or devoured by birds of prey — vultures, kites and crows," Mistree says. For Zoroastrians, burying or cremating the dead is seen as polluting nature.
Maybe Lenin style?
Cremation for me.
Cremated with a party afterward. Don’t get me started on the predatory funeral home industry.
Originally Posted by Stickfight
Originally Posted by efw

Are you suggesting that God is incapable of resurrecting a cremated body?

I did not suggest that in any way, no.

I choose my words carefully and said exactly what I mean.
Originally Posted by Muffin
Originally Posted by efw

I tend to think that if 'whatever is going to happen later' is incumbent on, dependent, or affected by what we do, or is done, to a deceased body, then we would have been told what to do with it.....

JMHO....

The faithful of biblical times were, when possible, buried.

Pagans cremated.

Is there an express command? Nope. Is there a practice that prevails in the biblical witness? Yes.

I never condemned anyone for any other view just expressed an honest answer to the question.
Originally Posted by efw

This, burial for me also

Christians never chose cremation, it was mainly the hindu way

I know cremation is way cheaper but I'll pay extra
Asplundh
Torch me. No religious side to it. I just can't see paying money for a plot. My wife knows where I want to be spread. I can live/die knowing that
Originally Posted by Blondie
Originally Posted by efw

This, burial for me also

Christians never chose cremation, it was mainly the hindu way

I know cremation is way cheaper but I'll pay extra

Not to disrespect your view...but how is that different than for a Christian who died in a fire and is similarly disarrayed?

Or is it a matter of choice of treatment of ones body?
Cremation Society of Idaho went to the care center, transported MIL's remains, provided the cremation, met with family in very cordial and respectful manner, and returned ashes in a cardboard box. All for about $800 a couple years ago.

I am sure prices have increased a bit.

There is uniform consent among our extended family that this company will get our business in the future as need arises.

https://www.cremationsociety-idaho.com/

With your personality, ya better emphasize the "after I'm dead" part.
Cremation for me.
Wife and kids can make some nice jewelry out of me. Wife did that with her dads ashes. He passed from brain cancer and had some earrings made. She wore them when got married.
Hold on to my ashes in Urm. When they are ready to let me go, dump me out on my hunting grounds
My wishes are to donate anything useful to anyone that needs it and cremate the remains. I do want my ashes buried. The ashes are to be placed in a Dutch oven, either one of mine or a new one, their choice. I have a plot reserved in a rural cemetery where many of my family have been buried since the 1830s. It costs nothing to be buried there if one has family already there. Voluntary donations of no specified amounts are collected annually by a committee to cover maintenance expenses. Nothing is required. Those that want to, give whatever they want, if anything. I decided many years ago that was where I belonged. I have already ordered my tombstone and will have it installed later this year, all but the final date on it. All my family will need to do is literally drive over there with my ashes (in the Dutch oven), take a shovel and bury the ashes, and have the final date added to the stone. No muss, no fuss, and very little expense. Why would I want thousands of dollars to be spent on a casket, a vault, a lot in a commercial cemetery, embalming, transportation of my body, etc.? No one will ever see my body or any of this expensive stuff again after I would be buried, except maybe some archeologist 3,000 years from now. So, why make a funeral home rich? I would much rather my remaining family have that money to do whatever they want with it. I will be next to my father's tomb stone and near my grandparents and other relatives. My daughter asked if she could keep a few of my ashes, and I said sure. If someone else wants something different for themselves, that's fine by me. This is what I want for me and why.
I'm surprised there's no-one here nominating the Hunter S Thompson method - ashes shot out of cannon.
Originally Posted by jdunham
Cremated with a party afterward. Don’t get me started on the predatory funeral home industry.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS

I've already made and paid for arrangements.
I told my wife I wanted to be cremated.
She made an appointment for next Thursday.
My plan was to be cremated and shot out of the sextant port of a C-130 halfway between NJ and the Azores. Now my ANG unit has C-130s without a sextant port. My wife and I will be cremated and buried near Highbrass in the WV veteran's cemetery.
I’m being preserved like Lenin.
Originally Posted by deflave
I’m being preserved like Lenin.

They way you drink, wouldn't even cost anything......
I’m leaving this decision up to those that remain. It won’t matter to me at that point.
Dig for me a really deep hole, pile all my guns,saddles ect around it and let them that show up pick what they want then rake whats left in the hole with me and cover it up. Then plant a mesquite tree on it.
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Originally Posted by gnnrsig40
Embalming is a creepy practice, so are wakes with an embalmed corpse laying in a box and having people stare at it. Saw both my parents that way and I guarantee it ain't going to happen to me. Throw me in the ground without a box and call it good.
Same deal for me except I would rather be cremated.
The Bible indicates that we will arise with transformed bodies. I see that as the same body but transformed into something perfect, like Jesus at the Transfiguration. There's no body so bad off that God can't transform it.
Most certainly there's no warning against cremation. If it destroyed a person's hope for heaven, God would have told us. He wants everyone in heaven and he wouldn't kick a person out because his spouse cremated him.
[quote=mauserand9mm]I'm surprised there's no-one here nominating the Hunter S Thompson method - ashes shot out of cannon.[/quot

A friend had her ashes loaded into some fireworks mortars. A fireworks display was set off at a evening dinner attended by her friends.
I want the cheapest send-off possible.
If it were up to me I would have them lay me out on a couple of old tractor tires and light it up.
But here in Arkansas you can be buried in a pine box so I already have mine built and using it for storage in the shop until I go.
Wife doesn't like the idea of creamation, I told her it won't matter to me do what you like.
© 24hourcampfire