Home
Posted By: blanket Old places you have been - 09/17/22
Today my wife and I went to a little Iowa town to buy mums for her birthday. On the way back we went down a country road to a creek my dad and I used to jump shoot wood ducks 50 odd years ago
Posted By: zcm82 Re: Old places you have been - 09/17/22
I occasionally drive by the last bit of old family land we deer hunted back when I was in high school. Still burns my azz my folks got fugged out of buying the place by my bitchass aunt.

It ended up sold off to some rich guy from Chicago who cleared half the woods to put a weekender McMansion on it. Everytime I see that house I still get pissed, and that's been over 20 years ago.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Old places you have been - 09/17/22
Earth?
Posted By: scrooster Re: Old places you have been - 09/17/22
Jerusalem, The Parthenon, Thermopylae, Hadrian's Wall, Civitavecchia and so on .... but the oldest site I've ever spent time in was right here in SC doing volunteer work for Al Goodyear at the Topper site ... 50,000 years old. Predates Clovis, right down the road from me.

Best couple of weeks I ever spent ... learned a lot. Ending-up finding something on my property thanks-to what I learned volunteering on that dig.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2004/11/041118104010.htm
"Old" defines this area - the oldest govt building, in continuous use, is west of me ~ 40 miles.
Indian teepee rings a couple of hundred yards from one of my gates.
The Folsom Point was found near Folsom, NM. less than 30 miles from our ranch at Raton.
Define "old" smile
Radio Shack
Posted By: blanket Re: Old places you have been - 09/17/22
Old in your life, four heavens sake I have been on the plains where time began talking family
Posted By: Kenneth66 Re: Old places you have been - 09/17/22
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Earth?

My first thoughts when I saw op
Kenneth
Posted By: blanket Re: Old places you have been - 09/17/22
How about you go yourself
The oldest man made place I’ve ever been is Fort San Juan in Puerto Rico. I think it was built in the 1500s.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Dess Re: Old places you have been - 09/17/22
Stonehenge. It's near a highway in England. Seems more like a tourist attraction rather than an iconic piece of history. Nothing else around. 30 minutes and you've seen and read all of the information signs.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Old places you have been - 09/17/22
Pyramids in Egypt
Several places in Istanbul, don’t recall their names. But1000s years old.
Posted By: old70 Re: Old places you have been - 09/17/22
For man made things, New Grange in Ireland. Predates the pyramids by a couple thousand years. Fascinating that the entrance still lines up with the sunrise on the winter solstice, and at no other time. Lots of theories about what it was for, but not sure if anyone living really knows.

As far as the oldest building goes, probably the historische wurstkuche in Regensburg. It’s been open as a restaurant since 1146 or so.

Old70
Posted By: denton Re: Old places you have been - 09/17/22
You've got me beat. I was going to mention the home of Christopher Columbus' nephew in Dominican Republic, plus the ruins of a nearby fort and church, all dating back to the early 1500s.
Posted By: batch Re: Old places you have been - 09/17/22
Pyramid at Saqqara in Egypt, King Tut's tomb, rode around the 9 pyramids at Giza on a camel. Saltzburg castle and catacombs. A dig in Israel at Beit Guvrien on way to Jerusalem. Was at millennium celebration for Liege, Belgium around 1978? Must be time to start traveling again.
Posted By: norm99 Re: Old places you have been - 09/17/22
Barcelona, Rome, Florence, Venice, Jerusalem, Aman, Jerico ,dead sea. Troy Ephasuse,Turkey Chiro, # Piramids ,Aswan ,Alexandra, Valley of the kings , and a few other places over there.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Old places you have been - 09/17/22
Pierce City, MO a pre Civil War & Sundown town.

Up to 1984 there were still signs on each end of Main St that read, “if you’re black, don’t be caught in this town after sundown.”
Posted By: Craigster Re: Old places you have been - 09/17/22
Hue City. And more than a few others.
Posted By: RS308MX Re: Old places you have been - 09/17/22
Fort Ticonderoga, Saratoga Battlefield, Fort William Henry (French and Indian War). More recent, some of the places I used to hunt with my Dad more than 50 years ago are housing developments.
I went squirrel hunting this morning in the same patch of woods where I first started hunting them as a boy back in the '70's.
Posted By: Jim270 Re: Old places you have been - 09/17/22
Originally Posted by mark shubert
"Old" defines this area - the oldest govt building, in continuous use, is west of me ~ 40 miles.
Indian teepee rings a couple of hundred yards from one of my gates.
The Folsom Point was found near Folsom, NM. less than 30 miles from our ranch at Raton.
Define "old" smile

PM sent.
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I went squirrel hunting this morning in the same patch of woods where I first started hunting them as a boy back in the '70's.

That’s become exceedingly rare to be able to hunt the places you did as a child. I’m blessed to be able to hunt the same places I did decades ago and I’ve been able to take my children to those same sacred spots.
Posted By: BeanMan Re: Old places you have been - 09/17/22
The bottom of the Black Canyon of the Gunnison cut out of precambrian rock
Posted By: OMCHamlin Re: Old places you have been - 09/17/22
Originally Posted by blanket
Old in your life, four heavens sake I have been on the plains where time began talking family

I know what you mean, when I am in Maryland, near Aberdeen, sometimes I stop by our old house on Sherwood Lane, not recognizable to me anymore. When in Sevierville (only a couple hours away now), I go by the last place I lived with my folks, on Allansville Rd, and when the Mrs. and I were in Germany for Oktoberfest in 2000, I took her by the old brown apartments where we lived when dad was stationed there around the early 70's. 2C Rhinestrasse, right next to gate 3, Campbell Barracks. That's all gone back to the krauts now, so glad we took the time back then.
As an army brat and later a sailor, we've left a lot of places and gone somewhere's else.
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Earth?

Right.

A great place too.
Posted By: ShaunRyan Re: Old places you have been - 09/17/22
Originally Posted by blanket

Your thread title doesn't make that clear and is open to the reader's interpretation. Perhaps something like, Old Haunts You Have Revisited . . .

Nobody likes grammar nazis but clarity is king.

On topic, about 10 years ago I tried to visit a couple of spots on Fool Hollow Lake, near Show Low, AZ, where I used to camp and fish as a teenager, both solo and with family. No dice. It had gone all Parks and Recreation. It was still pretty wild when I was a kid. Rutted dirt roads, no groomed campgrounds, no fees, no time limit that was ever actually enforced. Had some good times there, was one of my favorites places growing up. Made me sad.
I just went and watched my daughter graduated from the University in Urbina Italy, according to them it dates back to 1021,

Proud papa moment, she graduated in a language which she had no formal training in

Attached picture 32BB809F-E1A2-4CA4-91C2-9854FD4B9774.jpeg
Posted By: scrooster Re: Old places you have been - 09/17/22
Originally Posted by Hairtrigger
I just went and watched my daughter graduated from the University in Urbina Italy, according to them it dates back to 1021,

Proud papa moment, she graduated in a language which she had no formal training in

Italian is a great language .... met my wife over there, spent many years over there. Le Marche is a beautiful region. They're having some flooding issues in that region lately. Congrats to your Daughter BTW. Once you learn Italian you can-pretty much communicate with all the other Latin languages.

My nickname over there, amongst my peers, was Gallo Pazzesco.
Posted By: benchman Re: Old places you have been - 09/17/22
Occasionally, I make a run to some 550 acres my family used to own . It is now part of Pa sgl 269. I usually go past where the store used to be, and take a left to go down the dirt road then hang a right and go to where the old house used to be. Then I park where the old dock used to be, and look out on the big pond that used to have a lot of dead trees in it. I can still see all of that.
Meadowcroft Pa.
I don't have access to any hunting and fishing spots I had as a kid. Wish I did.
A few years back I was granted the opportunity to hunt shark's teeth, etc at Devil's backbone which I frequented often 45 yrs ago.

As far as "old places" as in human construction/civilization.
1. Great Wall of China. too many times.
2. Excavation site in Old Vienna from a few thousand years ago.
3. Some castles near Bristol England circa 1000 a.d.
St Augustine is not far from here. It's about as old a place as you will find in America
Posted By: krp Re: Old places you have been - 09/17/22

Took this picture Wednesday, Pond in a waterway, there's a ladder stand on the right a friend of mine put in there for a hunt 15 years ago and never took it out.

Anyway it's a hidden area where I first found big bull elk during an archery hunt in the 80s, killed my first mature bull here, it's the reason I committed to archery elk hunting early in my hunting life.

Feral horses have taken over the area around for miles and the elk have mostly moved out, it's a shame what has been allowed to happen.

I still visited the spot and went over in my mind those memories years ago, used to kill elk in there for years.

Kent
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Old places you have been - 09/17/22
One would be, the Old Fort, at Fort Sill.

The jailcell where they held Germino.
Posted By: ROMAC Re: Old places you have been - 09/17/22
Cliff dwellings in Mesa Verde national park. Settled in the 500's abandoned in the 1200's.
Posted By: Teal Re: Old places you have been - 09/17/22
Dubrovnik Croatia

More locally, Pictured Rocks.
Posted By: MarkWV Re: Old places you have been - 09/17/22
i guess the oldest for me is Jamestown. Still go to the hunting area I’ve hunted since 1974. Dad was hunting it in 1947. We’ll be there this year too if the good Lord allows it.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Old places you have been - 09/17/22
I pass the spot where I Kilt my first deer in 1972 just about every day. It’s up on a small ridge here on the place. I suppose I could go up there a carve something like “Kaywoodie kilt a derr here in 1972" on a live oak. But I think more of the tree than that. 🤣
Posted By: cisco1 Re: Old places you have been - 09/17/22
Hunting grounds in Rusk County Wisconsin . Hasn't changed too much . some county land , some private , some family farms.

However, for old The Fellsenmeer near where we hunt.

Attached picture 074_blue_hills.jpg
Originally Posted by Teal
Dubrovnik Croatia

Flown there twice headed elsewhere, if there's another chance we'll spend more time there. Gotta walk the old fort walls after a few shots of schlivovitz.
Posted By: poboy Re: Old places you have been - 09/17/22
The caves in Palo Duro Canyon.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Old places you have been - 09/17/22
The Great Wall of China would be something to see.
Posted By: Muffin Re: Old places you have been - 09/17/22
Stonehenge - believed to have been constructed from 3000 - 2000 BC

Broughton Castle - England - construction began 1306

The town of Bodicote, Oxfordshire, England, where my mother and grandparents lived, dates to the 11th Century

The church in Bodicote, where grandparents AND my parents were married, dates to the 13th Century...

St Augustine - ???? barely makes a mention.... in comparison.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Old places you have been - 09/17/22
It's been a while since I was there, but there is a place on the creek where the wagons use to cross. You can see the old wagon ruts going out thru the woods for a ways. This place is about 1/2 mile downstream from the current road. To the oldtimers around, I'm guessing Dad might be the last, this place on the creek was called 'the ol ford', for obvious reasons. Dad says he never remembered it being used and the road was in its present location when he was a young boy.

Another place down same creek a ways is a steep hillside that someone farmed long ago. They took the native iron ore rocks and made there terraces with them. Dad said that he never remembered anyone farming that place.

I referred to Dad in both instances.... Dad will be 96 next month and is about the oldest person around.
My house was built in 1820... 202 years old.

There is a lot of "oldish" stuff here in Virginia.
San Salvador in the Bahamas where Columbus made first landfall.

Magellan’s landfall in Guam.

Hue, founded circa 400 AD. I may have farted a few times when flying overhead.

Everglades was a family camping and hunting place. Began in the early ‘50s, last time I hunted there was ‘86.

All but one of the homes I lived in during those times have been erased by progress.
Posted By: hanco Re: Old places you have been - 09/17/22
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle
The oldest man made place I’ve ever been is Fort San Juan in Puerto Rico. I think it was built in the 1500s.

I’ve been in that exact spot
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Old places you have been - 09/17/22
Graveyard in Portsmouth, NH..... Being from La., it was strange to see grave stones from the 1700's.
I climbed the fantastic Maya pyramid at Chichen Itza. Probably built 1,000 years ago. Walked through the Acropolis one time in Athens.
Posted By: atvalaska Re: Old places you have been - 09/17/22
It ain't that old but I've been under the Lincoln Memorial
Posted By: johnw Re: Old places you have been - 09/17/22
Been a few historic places.

Campbeltown
Cyprus
Clover Bend, Arkansas and Shirey Bay
Kinshaza and Kolwezi
Copan and Comayagua

Douglas pass and Canyon Pintado

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Seems important to me to recognize that the ground all of our houses sits on has a history that goes back to creation. Prairieville, Illinois will never draw the tourist crowds of Rome or Great Britain. There's history there still.
Some fascinating stuff found in the driftless zone of the upper midwest.
Posted By: Jcubed Re: Old places you have been - 09/17/22
Earth...4.5 billion years old.
Originally Posted by ROMAC
Cliff dwellings in Mesa Verde national park. Settled in the 500's abandoned in the 1200's.

Been there a couple of times. It’s an awesome place.
Also Chaco Canyon, and Monument Valley. And Folsom, NM and the Alibates Flint Quarries in the TX Panhandle. It’s probably as old as the Folsom & Clovis sights, as far as early N American tool making by “Native Americans”.
Around here, you have to look hard to find anything man made which is over 100 years old. This part of the country pretty much belonged to the Indians until nearly 1880. There is not much left to show they were here but a few arrow heads.

The College of Idaho in Caldwell Id was founded in 1909. The train depot in town is not much older.

Completed 1910, photo 1918, Sterry Hall College of Idaho
[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]

Construction for Owyhee Dam was started in 1928. It is a concrete arch-gravity dam on the Owyhee River in Eastern Oregon near Adrian, Oregon. At 417 feet, it was the tallest dam in the world at that time. As memory serves.

This dam was constructed in the same manner as was used to build Hoover Dam later. Owyhee Dam was actually "proof of concept" for the construction technique.

[Linked Image from mapio.net]
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Old places you have been - 09/17/22
Rift Valley...
Posted By: poboy Re: Old places you have been - 09/17/22
The naming of the Owyhees is a cool little history lesson.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Old places you have been - 09/17/22
Bottom of the Grand Canyon. The rock is 1.8 billion years old.
Where in tge Canyon did you go?

Backpacked it before but looking for more suggestions.
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Rift Valley...

Safari?
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Old places you have been - 09/17/22
We were on a rafting trip.
Posted By: GF1 Re: Old places you have been - 09/17/22
Originally Posted by poboy
The naming of the Owyhees is a cool little history lesson.

Yep. Bad spelling of “Hawaii”. Named for Hawaiians lost there exploring the area.
Originally Posted by old70
For man made things, New Grange in Ireland. Predates the pyramids by a couple thousand years. Fascinating that the entrance still lines up with the sunrise on the winter solstice, and at no other time. Lots of theories about what it was for, but not sure if anyone living really knows.

As far as the oldest building goes, probably the historische wurstkuche in Regensburg. It’s been open as a restaurant since 1146 or so.

Old70
I believe the Hill of Tara, not far from there, is much older. One mass burial monument (The Hill of Hostages) was dated to 3200BC. Reigning kings lived there through at least 142 administrations. some pretty weird vibes catch a lot of people there.
Originally Posted by NVhntr
We were on a rafting trip.

Ah, nice! Haven't had the opportunity yet.

Thx
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Old places you have been - 09/18/22
Boston Harbor, the Old North Church.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Old places you have been - 09/18/22
The Captions on the Old Ironsides.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: GF1 Re: Old places you have been - 09/18/22
Ziggurat of Ur (Iraq), 21st century B.C.

Petra (Jordan), 5th century B.C.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Old places you have been - 09/18/22
Babylon.
Posted By: blanket Re: Old places you have been - 09/18/22
Was referring to your youthrld. Been in the old world just your old wourd
Posted By: frogman43 Re: Old places you have been - 09/18/22
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
St Augustine is not far from here. It's about as old a place as you will find in America

Just thinking that this was the oldest place I'd been too as well.....
Oldman3: I have been to the beautiful city of St. Augustine, Florida - it is the "oldest city" in the United States.
I got to go yachting on two different luxury ocean going yachts, pet a Manatee, eat at a fantastic restaurant, swim in warm ocean water, and stay in two different luxury ocean side/view mansions.
Like to go back there someday.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Old places you have been - 09/19/22
Originally Posted by Jcubed
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Rift Valley...

Safari?

Church Trip. Would love to do a plains game safari. But alas, not in the cards...
Posted By: gunzo Re: Old places you have been - 09/19/22
Of the inhabited places I've been to St Augustine Fla. 1565

Nassau Bahamas 1670

Fort Harrod, Ky. 1774

And a good friends house several times a year for cocktails 1793.
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Old places you have been - 09/19/22
blanket;
Good afternoon to you sir, I hope the weekend was well behaved overall for you and you're well.

Beginning in about '89 or so, I began to seriously haunt this part of the neighborhood.

[Linked Image]

What I was looking for was one of these, which I found in the fall of '91.

[Linked Image]

In early '92, we bought a chunk of ground at the base of the mountain where that ram died.

While we've knocked around the mountain behind the house a whole lot in the intervening decades, there were some spots I just never went back into. One of the blessings of where we're living is a generous season for most things, though California Bighorns are now a really tough to get drawn for LEH hunt only.

This fall a very good friend who has since moved up the valley got drawn, so we began to scout pretty seriously for him in some of the old sheepish area.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Yesterday, exactly 31 years and 2 days after the 2nd photo was taken, he killed a nice mature ram.

He doesn't do social media so the photos of the ram shall remain where they're at. Also I'll refrain from saying which of the views was taken while we were cutting up the ram on the side of the mountain - just because.

However in the spirit of the 'Fire where we furnish "pics or it didn't happen"....

[Linked Image]

Anyways sir, his ram died within less than a kilometer of mine all those years before.

All the best to one and all. Good luck on your respective hunts.

Dwayne
I spent my childhood in England so saw my share of castles. The ancient feature that impressed me most though was forty five years ago.

Back for a visit I was walking a stretch of Roman Road called High Street across the high moors of the Lake District in NW England, fifteen miles between two Roman Fort sites, a route following an even earlier pathway and used across the Centuries by successive groups since.

You could see the track snaking out before you across the hills, at one place passing a ancient stone circle, the original purpose of which long lost in the mists of time.

There’s been a major archeological exploration of High Street beginning this summer, be interesting to see what they find.
Posted By: Dutch Re: Old places you have been - 09/19/22
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Around here, you have to look hard to find anything man made which is over 100 years old. This part of the country pretty much belonged to the Indians until nearly 1880. There is not much left to show they were here but a few arrow heads.

The College of Idaho in Caldwell Id was founded in 1909. The train depot in town is not much older.

Completed 1910, photo 1918, Sterry Hall College of Idaho
[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]

Construction for Owyhee Dam was started in 1928. It is a concrete arch-gravity dam on the Owyhee River in Eastern Oregon near Adrian, Oregon. At 417 feet, it was the tallest dam in the world at that time. As memory serves.

This dam was constructed in the same manner as was used to build Hoover Dam later. Owyhee Dam was actually "proof of concept" for the construction technique.

[Linked Image from mapio.net]
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

It's fun to walk parts of the Oregon Trail in Twin Falls county and follow the wagon ruts that are still there. There's a few pieces of trail, here and there, here in Caribou county as well, but not near as well defined.

As far as castles, I went to college in an actual, factual, honest to goodness, castle. It's not what it's cracked up to be after a while, but the double 1,000 liter bulk beer tanks in the student bar in the cellars were handy to have around......

[Linked Image from afnu.net]
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Old places you have been - 09/19/22
Always interesting how different Campfire members define various stuff.

Here, many define "old" by their lives, others by the oldest local human history--which may be defined by Europeans showing up for the first time in their area.

Then there's archaeologic/prehistoric/geologic history.
Posted By: Geno67 Re: Old places you have been - 09/19/22
Pretty sure all the places are pretty much the same age.
Posted By: Whelenman Re: Old places you have been - 09/19/22
We went out to lunch with Toby and Mark ! Just saying!

Oh ! You said places! 😅😂😂
© 24hourcampfire