Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by poboy
The naming of the Owyhees is a cool little history lesson.

Yep. Bad spelling of “Hawaii”. Named for Hawaiians lost there exploring the area.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by old70
For man made things, New Grange in Ireland. Predates the pyramids by a couple thousand years. Fascinating that the entrance still lines up with the sunrise on the winter solstice, and at no other time. Lots of theories about what it was for, but not sure if anyone living really knows.

As far as the oldest building goes, probably the historische wurstkuche in Regensburg. It’s been open as a restaurant since 1146 or so.

Old70
I believe the Hill of Tara, not far from there, is much older. One mass burial monument (The Hill of Hostages) was dated to 3200BC. Reigning kings lived there through at least 142 administrations. some pretty weird vibes catch a lot of people there.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by NVhntr
We were on a rafting trip.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Ah, nice! Haven't had the opportunity yet.

Thx

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Boston Harbor, the Old North Church.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
The Captions on the Old Ironsides.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B2

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Ziggurat of Ur (Iraq), 21st century B.C.

Petra (Jordan), 5th century B.C.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Babylon.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
blanket Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Was referring to your youthrld. Been in the old world just your old wourd

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
St Augustine is not far from here. It's about as old a place as you will find in America

Just thinking that this was the oldest place I'd been too as well.....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Oldman3: I have been to the beautiful city of St. Augustine, Florida - it is the "oldest city" in the United States.
I got to go yachting on two different luxury ocean going yachts, pet a Manatee, eat at a fantastic restaurant, swim in warm ocean water, and stay in two different luxury ocean side/view mansions.
Like to go back there someday.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Jcubed
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Rift Valley...

Safari?

Church Trip. Would love to do a plains game safari. But alas, not in the cards...

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Of the inhabited places I've been to St Augustine Fla. 1565

Nassau Bahamas 1670

Fort Harrod, Ky. 1774

And a good friends house several times a year for cocktails 1793.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
blanket;
Good afternoon to you sir, I hope the weekend was well behaved overall for you and you're well.

Beginning in about '89 or so, I began to seriously haunt this part of the neighborhood.

[Linked Image]

What I was looking for was one of these, which I found in the fall of '91.

[Linked Image]

In early '92, we bought a chunk of ground at the base of the mountain where that ram died.

While we've knocked around the mountain behind the house a whole lot in the intervening decades, there were some spots I just never went back into. One of the blessings of where we're living is a generous season for most things, though California Bighorns are now a really tough to get drawn for LEH hunt only.

This fall a very good friend who has since moved up the valley got drawn, so we began to scout pretty seriously for him in some of the old sheepish area.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Yesterday, exactly 31 years and 2 days after the 2nd photo was taken, he killed a nice mature ram.

He doesn't do social media so the photos of the ram shall remain where they're at. Also I'll refrain from saying which of the views was taken while we were cutting up the ram on the side of the mountain - just because.

However in the spirit of the 'Fire where we furnish "pics or it didn't happen"....

[Linked Image]

Anyways sir, his ram died within less than a kilometer of mine all those years before.

All the best to one and all. Good luck on your respective hunts.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I spent my childhood in England so saw my share of castles. The ancient feature that impressed me most though was forty five years ago.

Back for a visit I was walking a stretch of Roman Road called High Street across the high moors of the Lake District in NW England, fifteen miles between two Roman Fort sites, a route following an even earlier pathway and used across the Centuries by successive groups since.

You could see the track snaking out before you across the hills, at one place passing a ancient stone circle, the original purpose of which long lost in the mists of time.

There’s been a major archeological exploration of High Street beginning this summer, be interesting to see what they find.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Around here, you have to look hard to find anything man made which is over 100 years old. This part of the country pretty much belonged to the Indians until nearly 1880. There is not much left to show they were here but a few arrow heads.

The College of Idaho in Caldwell Id was founded in 1909. The train depot in town is not much older.

Completed 1910, photo 1918, Sterry Hall College of Idaho
[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]

Construction for Owyhee Dam was started in 1928. It is a concrete arch-gravity dam on the Owyhee River in Eastern Oregon near Adrian, Oregon. At 417 feet, it was the tallest dam in the world at that time. As memory serves.

This dam was constructed in the same manner as was used to build Hoover Dam later. Owyhee Dam was actually "proof of concept" for the construction technique.

[Linked Image from mapio.net]
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

It's fun to walk parts of the Oregon Trail in Twin Falls county and follow the wagon ruts that are still there. There's a few pieces of trail, here and there, here in Caribou county as well, but not near as well defined.

As far as castles, I went to college in an actual, factual, honest to goodness, castle. It's not what it's cracked up to be after a while, but the double 1,000 liter bulk beer tanks in the student bar in the cellars were handy to have around......

[Linked Image from afnu.net]

Sic Semper Tyrannis
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Always interesting how different Campfire members define various stuff.

Here, many define "old" by their lives, others by the oldest local human history--which may be defined by Europeans showing up for the first time in their area.

Then there's archaeologic/prehistoric/geologic history.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pretty sure all the places are pretty much the same age.

A person who's happy will make others happy. Anne Frank
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
We went out to lunch with Toby and Mark ! Just saying!

Oh ! You said places! 😅😂😂

Last edited by Whelenman; 09/18/22.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

638 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 65 invisible), 2,819 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,830
Posts18,516,968
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.