Home
I have spent most of September, hunting elk in Grizzly country. There is an eerie feeling knowing that something that could kill and eat you is lurking around in the same woods. We found a dead elk, wounded by another hunter.

Yes, he is out there...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Jeebus, that’s creepy as fûck!

Cool post, Shrap.

🦫
Posted By: 673 Re: Elk Hunting In Grizzly Country - 09/26/22
Being shot where he was hit, makes me wonder how hard the shooter looked to recover the Elk.
That is a large grizzly for sure.
Originally Posted by shrapnel
We found a dead elk, wounded by another hunter.

Guess that is another shot that won't make it to YouTube, nor the story told in some forum. Too bad, nice bull.

Good job on the pics and story Shrapnel, and thanks.
Looks interesting...
Nice trail cam location!
Seize the moment.
Looks interesting...
Originally Posted by 673
Being shot where he was hit, makes me wonder how hard the shooter looked to recover the Elk.
That is a large grizzly for sure.

Grizz may have been on the kill quick too. Never know here in MT...those bears are smart and follow people to their next big meal.

Ymmv
When I lived in Kodiak, I liked the humbling feeling of dwelling in the dominion of Ursus.
That is so cool, thanks for posting
Holy jeebus that’s a big bar.
Cools pictures. That look like a big bear.
That would sure make the hair on the back of your neck stand up for sure. Thanks for sharing the pics Shrap.
And there's an argument for hunting elk with something like a .338 or .375 magnum!
Big puss-pocket coming out of the eye. I'll ask the dumb question, any chance this bull was killed fighting another bull?
Originally Posted by horse1
Big puss-pocket coming out of the eye. I'll ask the dumb question, any chance this bull was killed fighting another bull?

That’s an eyeball the birds pecked out. The shoulder wound is from an arrow. I originally thought the same thing, that it might have been a battle scar, but it was another archer…
Thanks Shrap, when your hunting amongst them, it certainly adds a degree of excitement/trepidation to the hunt!

We hunt in grizzly country, and it does keep you on “high alert”! Several years ago, we did a “gutless” field dress of her elk. A day later the remains had been dragged about 15 or 20 yards into a little timbered ravine and mostly consumed! You have to respect their power! memtb
We have had a large uptick in grizz sightings in my hood this year, it went from rare sightings to frequent. I need to get out, this working chit is getting in my way.
Cool Post Shrapnel, thanks for sharing.
Posted By: las Re: Elk Hunting In Grizzly Country - 09/26/22
Most excellent!
Great pics. Thanks.

You can sleep well in camp knowing it is well fed - for a while.
Woof! That doesn’t look like Yogi, huh?
That’s a really neat sequence Shrap.
What's the rule on salvaging horn from a rotten elk?
Thanks for the reminder, ya spoilsport!...

...always on the mind. A few years ago I took my son back to the spot he shot his first WT. It was after some snow and as we drove in on the double track I noticed some rather large tracks along the road. Unmistakable tracks, and large. A little later stopped and talked to another hunter going the opposite direction, he said " Oh yeah, that giz been hanging around hear for the last couple days." I decided to take the kid to another venue, not worth the chance to test if he can "Skin Grizz!"
Cool post.I only did it once up in Alberta.Didn't care for it too much. To long a story to type
Lemme guess…. The reason you want to go shoot p-dogs tomorrow is to get out of where that guy has set up camp. 😁 At least we’ll be able to see him from a couple miles away if he’s trying to sneak up on us. Got any solids for your Swift?
The only North American animal I fear in the woods..
I've seen the wrath of their strength.
It's humbling.
Originally Posted by Kenlguy

When it is a hunter killed elk, you can’t take any part of the elk. Once the bear has had his way, it may become another story…
Originally Posted by BangPop
Lemme guess…. The reason you want to go shoot p-dogs tomorrow is to get out of where that guy has set up camp. 😷

Mostly to have you spot for me…
Interesting story, and in picture form.

Thanks.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
When I lived in Kodiak, I liked the humbling feeling of dwelling in the dominion of Ursus.
Yeah, when I moved up to Juneau for a bit I told my wife I guess I'd have to stop taking naps up against a tree around lunch time while out huntin/fishing/hiking.
So how do you keep the pucker factor controlled long enough to visit the camera? I’d need 4 of us walking back to back in X formation with guns. Beautiful bear, from here.
Posted By: CP Re: Elk Hunting In Grizzly Country - 09/26/22
Oh yeah-I have had to put my head on a swivel more than a few times too. It sure takes the fun out of the deal.

[Linked Image]
Its why I just take a selfie, swig of whiskey, cut the skull cap off with a sawz-all, and bug out.

Critters gotta eat too and I’m usually ready to get some fajitas and beer somewheres for the evening
In griz or brown bear country it pays to keep alert for signs of feeding. Things like scavenger birds and turned up dirt are big clues. I came around a bend in a brushy creek bottom once and was confronted with alot of freshly churned up dirt. The rifle instantly went to a muzzle forward high ready with finger on the safety, eyes and ears hard at work. After a couple uneventful, full alert minutes I looked around. Evidence indicated one brown bear had killed another and had eaten everything just a day or two prior to my arrival. The killer had made his bed on a slight rise about 25 or 30 yards downwind from the prevailing wind direction.

I've found a bunch of brown bear kill/cache sites before, but that was the freshest one and it gave me a start.
What is the time interval between the pictures?

Nice pixels.
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Yeah, when I moved up to Juneau for a bit I told my wife I guess I'd have to stop taking naps up against a tree around lunch time while out huntin/fishing/hiking.

Things get real sporty when you're deer calling and a brown bear shows up in your lap instead.

A somewhat frequent occurrence is the drag-the-deer-to-the-beach trick. Bear just follows the scent trail, jumps the unsuspecting hunter, and takes the deer.
So the griz eats a few bites, and then buries the leftovers.
Originally Posted by ironbender

Nice pixels.

Over 325 pictures in less than 24 hours...
Great sequence.

How is the hunt going?
The guys that study the bear say that if wind and atmospheric conditions are just right the Grizz can scent an elk kill from ten miles!!

Nice pixels.
Thanks.
Spring bear season years back on the Idaho side of Lolo pass area had a guy shoot a very nice black bear. Went back by the harvesting spot the next day and a grizzly had eaten everything of the gut pile.
Horses were skittish there.
Great pics Shrap, a year from now I’ll be in Alaska trying for a bigger one.

Osky

Nice pixels.

that would be a great time laps video if you could put it up on this forum.

i have never seen a bear kill but have watched a few Gris stripping berry bushes, 1 a hundred yards from our house in B.C. just a mile from the medicine line above Ferry county Washington State, the other one 80 miles south of Grand Prairie AB in the bush.
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
Its why I just take a selfie, swig of whiskey, cut the skull cap off with a sawz-all, and bug out.

Critters gotta eat too and I’m usually ready to get some fajitas and beer somewheres for the evening

You take a sawz'all on elk hunts, awesome.

mike r
Respect the bear

Ain't never hunted elk in grizz woods

If I do....SA 10mm w/16 rd mags will be close by

[Linked Image from files.springfield-armory.com]
I have spent most of September, hunting elk in Grizzly country. There is an eerie feeling knowing that something that could kill and eat you is lurking around in the same woods. We found a dead elk, wounded by another hunter.

Yes, he is out there...

Ran into that exact situation the one year that I archery hunted out there. Came across a dead bull so we baled out of there. Several days later like a dope I went back in that general area because that’s where the elk were and I forgot about that dead bull. The wind was blowing in the direction of the dead animal and sure enough something came crashing through the timber and passed 50 yards above us and kept going. Went over to the dead elk and it all covered up. Got the hell out of that drainage and stayed out.
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Interesting story, and in picture form.

Thanks.

Exactly. Story doesn't need any words.
I have hunted my whole life in griz country, in 4 different states. I won’t go scratch one’s nuts but I also don’t worry too much about them. Just be cognizant and never let your guard down.

I don’t carry spray, even when bow hunting. I have never had an issue though I have had quite a few encounters and they will humble you, as to how close they can be without you knowing they’re around.

I have had them steal meat a number of times but I have never felt I was in immediate danger in those situations. Just use your head and try to stay calm.
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I have hunted my whole life in griz country, in 4 different states. I won’t go scratch one’s nuts but I also don’t worry too much about them. Just be cognizant and never let your guard down.

I don’t carry spray, even when bow hunting. I have never had an issue though I have had quite a few encounters and they will humble you, as to how close they can be without you knowing they’re around.

I have had them steal meat a number of times but I have never felt I was in immediate danger in those situations. Just use your head and try to stay calm.

UR just a stud........

Still bangin WY/MT fatties ?
Originally Posted by tikkanut
UR just a stud........

Duh…..I always bang the fatties. They luv it.

BTW, I took a transfer to Fairbanks AK 2 years ago so the WY fatties don’t get it as much as they want anymore.

Still hunt ID and MT every year so those fatties still get their fix.

UR just a stud........

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

just fur you

ranch boy

Well, it’s a known fact that Grizz don’t eat lesbians. So, obviously you’re gonna be safe.

🦫😝
UR just a stud........

Duh…..I always bang the fatties. They luv it.

BTW, I took a transfer to Fairbanks AK 2 years ago so the WY fatties don’t get it as much as they want anymore.

UR in Alaska ????????????????????????
Really cool post, Shrapnel! I don't think this old boy will venture into the great northwest any time soon, hunting elk! Phuque that! Black bears in the area never scared me , Grizz..... no thanks!
Grizz don't faze the "Chuck Norris" of Montana....
Respect the bear

You know what they say about those sharp edges on a “grizzly pistol”.

just fur you

ranch boy

Wimminz like that do not exist in WY.

Just say’n.
Originally Posted by shootem
Respect the bear

You know what they say about those sharp edges on a “grizzly pistol”.

Ribbed for your pleasure....... oooh

just fur you

ranch boy

Wimminz like that do not exist in WY.

Just say’n.

This is correct.... and Alaska for that matter.... although I did find one at Ketchican fishing lodge once.... I even have pic's to prove it... but nobody needs pic's on the campfire for credibility anymore.. wink
Cool pics, thanks for sharin. 👊🏻
I bow hunted for years in island park. I know that uneasy feeling. I almost lost a friend and hunting partner to a grizzly attack about 6 years ago on sawtell. He called me the night before and said his brother could go with so I stayed and went to work because I had stuff that needed done anyways. He still starts shaking when he tells the story.

Bb
Cool story, appreciate your sharing.
[Linked Image from i.imgflip.com]
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco

You take a sawz'all on elk hunts, awesome.

mike r

Absolutely, I have no respect for anything, I don’t even recycle, and I throw plastic bottles out all over the country.

More dangerous than a Grizz....

Just a fact of life in some hoods.

In the last 3 years 3 grizzlies got lethal managment within 3 miles of my house.

Beats living in New Orleans. wink

Not being worried and going into the woods unprepared as you have stated won’t buy you a pass from a grizzly. Of course there are thousands of people that have shared the woods with grizzlies and never had an encounter.

I don’t care who you are, when you come across this in the woods…

You had better get smart and be worried, because this isn’t bear sign, this is a bear meat locker that means he isn’t far off and he isn’t going to run from you, he is going to run at you and you won’t win that battle….

Not being worried and going into the woods unprepared as you have stated won’t buy you a pass from a grizzly. Of course there are thousands of people that have shared the woods with grizzlies and never had an encounter.

You had better get smart and be worried, because this isn’t bear sign, this is a bear meat locker that means he isn’t far off and he isn’t going to run from you, he is going to run at you and you won’t win that battle….

LOL.

Found a few buried bulls.

Usually a sign of an old mature bear that isn't looking for a fight.

But you keep being afraid. wink
There really is no bottom to your bullshît is there?
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

Ol Shrap is scared, not bullschitting.

Cut him some slack.

Is that Kyle Lamb?
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

Is that Kyle Lamb?
Johnnyfatbelly.
LOL
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

LOL.

Looks like you ate them too…

LOL.

I’d say this Grizz would easily tear your ass open for looking inside his fridge.

He might have to detox, then hit an AA meeting after grubbing on you though.

😝🦫

Is that Kyle Lamb?

Ol Tater is lookin a little rough.... that Kyle dude looks perpetually happy...

LOL.

Whine as you will.

Fake how you killed a moose as you must.

LOL.

Fearing a big grizzly may not be as bad as being stupid.

The old Russian bear may make Ukraine wish they had been scared.
I found a new recipe that JB should enjoy. NyQuil Chicken. It’s been trending the past several days.

John, let us know how it tasted.

https://www.npr.org/2022/09/22/1124252556/nyquil-chicken-challenge-fda-warning

Lol

🦫
Originally Posted by jaguartx

LOL.

I kill grizzlies for fun.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

LOL.

Whine as you will.

Wait a minute, are you related to Big Stick??
Burns is proving delusional can run with stupid.

Not any more, they're divorced.

LOL.

Whine as you will.

Ol’ Burnsie gets invited to Big Stick’s when Stick has his friend over for muscatel and a movie. They give John a beer, then turn on the projector and watch a movie they project on his forehead.

It looks like it won’t work anymore, tan has turned red and the quadruple chin has brought his over tightened hairline into the center of the screen.

Those were the good ol’ days…
...so burns sees fit to jump shrapnels thread, pretty low move
Ol’ Burnsie gets invited to Big Stick’s when Stick has his friend over for muscatel and a movie. They give John a beer, then turn on the projector and watch a movie they project on his forehead.

It looks like it won’t work anymore, tan has turned red and the quadruple chin has brought his over tightened hairline into the center of the screen.

I kill grizzlies for fun you whiney puzzy.

Did somebody say something?
LMAO . Even Shrapnel has started jabbing BurnsDoggle.

I kill grizzlies for fun you whiney puzzy.

photoshop edit
Originally Posted by irfubar

More dangerous than a Grizz....

Definitely more expensive than a grizzly attack
Originally Posted by Beaver10

LOL.

I’d say this Grizz would easily tear your ass open for looking inside his fridge.

He might have to detox, then hit an AA meeting after grubbing on you though.

😝🦫
😂😂😂😜

I just got bluff charged last month when I happened upon a griz that had a caribou cached. Luckily I wasn’t too terribly close…maybe 50 yards but it was close enough. By the time I got off my horse and pulled the rifle out ASAP he was long gone. Call me a liar but I kept eye contact despite my heart rate and he veered off about 15 yards away. I suspect it was the same boar I ended up killing a few days later a few miles away.

Had a brownie at 25 yards on Afognak a few years back that claimed my buddy’s Roosevelt elk carcass. Stay calm and use your head. No problem. He had his 5 star meal and didn’t give a damn about us but we sure weren’t going to fight him for it.

Use your head and there is rarely an issue. Sometimes there is nothing you can do of course but those are rare situations. The same could be said about wandering the streets of Bozeman with all the weirdo druggies there.

LOL.

BOOM!

I just got bluff charged last month when I happened upon a griz that had a caribou cached. Luckily I wasn’t too terribly close…maybe 50 yards but it was close enough. By the time I got off my horse and pulled the rifle out ASAP he was long gone. Call me a liar but I kept eye contact despite my heart rate and he veered off about 15 yards away. I suspect it was the same boar I ended up killing a few days later a few miles away.

Had a brownie at 25 yards on Afognak a few years back that claimed my buddy’s Roosevelt elk carcass. Stay calm and use your head. No problem. He had his 5 star meal and didn’t give a damn about us but we sure weren’t going to fight him for it.

Use your head and there is rarely an issue. Sometimes there is nothing you can do of course but those are rare situations. The same could be said about wandering the streets of Bozeman with all the weirdo druggies there.

Great story, maybe you should write books for children…
BOOM!

Boom.

In the last 3 years 3 grizzlies got lethal managment within 3 miles of my house.

Do you roll down the hill out there...
Great story, maybe you should write books for children…

LOL.

Kirk is way over his head playing best hunter games with Ted.

But it's neverr not funny.
Originally Posted by Mr_TooDogs
BOOM!

Boom.

asss shot it in the local dump I bet.. Looks like some thick cover with lots of alders aspen etc. lol
BOOM!

Boom.

And suck Zelensky NWO and SOROS COCK for fun.
Originally Posted by stxhunter

Do you roll down the hill out there...

LOL.

Post your bear pictures whiner.

I'll wait, for a bit. wink
Posted By: 673 Re: Elk Hunting In Grizzly Country - 09/27/22
Originally Posted by horse1

That’s an eyeball the birds pecked out. The shoulder wound is from an arrow. I originally thought the same thing, that it might have been a battle scar, but it was another archer…
Ahh yes, an arrow, that makes sense now.

Yeah, I think that a hunter with game down is scouted more often by a grizzly than some people realize. My bil said a couple years ago they had an Elk down and were trying to get the meat prepped and out of the bush, and the flashlights revealed eyes watching from the edge of timber. They know it won't be their Elk come morning.

Exellent pics.
Originally Posted by Mr_TooDogs

I have a long history of slapping Shrap/Kirk down.

His moose kill debacle was epic.
Originally Posted by jaguartx

LOL.

You are a washed-up fat piece of chit Nyquil sipping turd to troll this thread.

Is that Kyle Lamb?

Ol Tater is lookin a little rough.... that Kyle dude looks perpetually happy...
He's laughing about the dumb f-ck to his right.

Who owns this thread?

Whomp, Whomp, Whomp. laugh
I remember seeing a grizzly run off with a hunters mule deer. It looked like the bear grabbed it between the front legs and trotted of with a 200lb. deer in its mouth.

Good stuff Shrapnel thanks for posting.

Who owns this thread?

Whomp, Whomp, Whomp. laugh
Your mom, probably whomp whomp, after she spit your fat ass out.
Cool pics! Have found caches like that before. Eerily cool finds but yep, put some distance between you and the area. Lots of griz around Alberta now. They do keep you focused on your surroundings.
I'll be out hunting grouse in the Foothills west of Rocky Mountain House week after next.
Just me, my Beretta Silver Pigeon 20g and a can or two of bear spray.....gotta be well seasoned. Hope I have time to hit the SOS on my Garmin so they can find my carcass.
A few years ago, my hunting partner lost a nice White tail buck to a big griz North of Hinton Alberta. We got to it just after the bear laid claim to it not 5 mins after he shot it. Happens fast!
Head is always on the swivel out there.
Jeff
I luv it....

[Linked Image from y.yarn.co]
Originally Posted by ol_mike
I remember seeing a grizzly run off with a hunters mule deer. It looked like the bear grabbed it between the front legs and trotted of with a 200lb. deer in its mouth.

I had a grizzly run off with my moose hind quarter hanging in camp after a moose hunt in BC. It was close to 200 lbs and he carried like it was a small stick
Originally Posted by ribka
Originally Posted by ol_mike

I had a grizzly run off with my moose hind quarter hanging in camp after a moose hunt in BC. It was close to 200 lbs and he carried like it was a small stick

Freakish strength
These 2 pictures really show the difference between dead and buried...

LOL.

We get it.

You're a skeird puZZy.

Stay in town.

Nice. Didn't you legit take an Montana grizzly an long time ago?

This one was a little smaller.
[Linked Image]
gun shot is a Grizz dinner bell.
Sometimes they are very angry even after being released at relocating:

Montana definitely needs a season.
MT, ID and WY all have them. 100s are killed by G&F, Federal hunters and ranchers.

"shoot, shovel and shut up"
Griz scares the schitt out of me, but without them out there, it'd just be another patch of woods.

It ain't the same hunting where you don't need to watch your six.
Originally Posted by UpThePole
MT, ID and WY all have them. 100s are killed by G&F, Federal hunters and ranchers.

I always hear this but it seems to be most often repeated by those who've never done it and never will.

As in, if I ever had to shoot a bear where I didn't want anyone to know I did it the last thing I'd do is leave the scene, go get a shovel, return to the scene, and spend the time digging a hole big enough to bury a bear.
Originally Posted by ElmerKeith

[Linked Image from fieldandstream.com][Linked Image from fieldandstream.com][Linked Image from fieldandstream.com][Linked Image from fieldandstream.com][Linked Image from fieldandstream.com][Linked Image from fieldandstream.com][Linked Image from fieldandstream.com]
So much for that release..

[Linked Image from fieldandstream.com][Linked Image from fieldandstream.com][Linked Image from fieldandstream.com]

https://www.fieldandstream.com/photos/gallery/hunting/2008/01/grizzly-attack-caught-camera/
A guys gotta wonder just what was going through Louis's mind as he put his hand on the back of that bear to brace his fall.

[Linked Image from fieldandstream.com]

When it is a hunter killed elk, you can’t take any part of the elk.

Wrong
Originally Posted by JeffA
A guys gotta wonder just what was going through Louis's mind as he put his hand on the back of that bear to braced his fall.

[Linked Image from fieldandstream.com]

Maybe “Nice kitty”

Lol

🦫

LOL
Originally Posted by ElmerKeith

I think I'll just use my 10mm on myself in that situation!
Originally Posted by smokepole

I always hear this but it seems to be most often repeated by those who've never done it and never will.

As in, if I ever had to shoot a bear where I didn't want anyone to know I did it the last thing I'd do is leave the scene, go get a shovel, return to the scene, and spend the time digging a hole big enough to bury a bear.

Come on maaaaann. Go with the flow. laffin

You'd need a backhoe for a big griz
Originally Posted by Osky
Spring bear season years back on the Idaho side of Lolo pass area had a guy shoot a very nice black bear. Went back by the harvesting spot the next day and a grizzly had eaten everything of the gut pile.
Horses were skittish there.
Great pics Shrap, a year from now I’ll be in Alaska trying for a bigger one.

Osky

Was that in the Beaver Ridge or Parachute Hill area? I worked there in the early 90's.
Is that Kyle Lamb?

Yeah. I think it's the same photo Kyle has on his wall at home.
Originally Posted by losttrail60

Wrong

Stick with something you know something about. We called FWP to find out the rule for taking the horns, they (FWP) that’s Montana Fish Wildlife and Parks, they control the hunting regulations, not you, and they said you can’t claim an animal that has been wounded by another hunter.

When we talked to them, they never once mentioned you or what you know about game laws in Montana…

Wrong

Stick with something you know something about. We called FWP to find out the rule for taking the horns, they (FWP) that’s Montana Fish Wildlife and Parks, they control the hunting regulations, not you, and they said you can’t claim an animal that has been wounded by another hunter.

When we talked to them, they never once mentioned you or what you know about game laws in Montana…

Pure made up BS. It is very clear in the regs on page 24 about what you take and what you can't. Read it and understand it if you can but I have my doubts. I don't need to talk to FWP because I can understand the regs. Stick to faking moose pics which is all you are good at.

There was nothing illegal about how that bull died. Piss poor shot ya. The dude was probably unprepared and had to adjust his peep with his teeth. LOL

LOL.

We get it.

You're a skeird puZZy.

Stay in town.

Somebody got their little feelers hurt.

Burns, Shrapnel has been a fixture of this forum for many years, and the majority of us who have stayed around a little really like his posts.
You on the other hand, are the hemorrhoid that just won’t go away.
And to say Sharp needs to stay in town? Only pictures I’ve seen of you show a fat boy with an AR and usually somebody to carry the load standing with you.
Shrap on the other hand only posts cool [bleep], like sweet guns usually with dead critters. No fanfare, just the the good stuff.

Thats why we like him, and not you. In a nutshell.

Have a nice day.

Wrong

Pure made up BS. It is very clear in the regs page 24 on what you take and what you can't. Read it and understand it if you can but I have my doubts. Stick to faking moose pics which is all you are good at.

There was nothing illegal about how that bull died. Piss poor shot ya. The dude was probably unprepared and had to adjust his peep with his teeth. LOL

Reread pg 24...esp MCA 87-6-202 section (c).
Originally Posted by Jcubed

Wrong

Pure made up BS. It is very clear in the regs page 24 on what you take and what you can't. Read it and understand it if you can but I have my doubts. Stick to faking moose pics which is all you are good at.

Do you understand the word "unlawfully"?

Wrong

Do you understand "accidentally killed?"

As to unlawful...if no tag on that hunter killed animal...if is unlawful to possess in MT.

But YOU are the expert with primo reading comprehension...ymmv

Wrong

Do you understand "accidentally killed?"

As to unlawful...if no tag on that hunter killed animal...if is unlawful to possess in MT.

But YOU are the expert with primo reading comprehension...ymmv

"accidentally killed" is under sheep you moron. BTW wounding loss is not illegal but I wish it was.

Wrong

I’m doing 2 things today, ignoring you and shooting prairie dogs. I have enough guns in the truck, just to shoot varmints, that are worth more than you and the trailer you live in.

Wrong

I’m doing 2 things today, ignoring you and shooting prairie dogs. I have enough guns in the truck, just to shoot varmints, that are worth more than you and the trailer you live in.

Don't forget the wheel chair.
How are you going to make wounding loss illegal. lost tail?? Im sure corrupt anti hunting BHA is working on legislation now caldumb

What a moron.
Originally Posted by Jeffrey

LOL.

We get it.

You're a skeird puZZy.

Stay in town.

Burns, Shrapnel has been a fixture of this forum for many years, and the majority of us who have stayed around a little really like his posts.

I disagree. He goes away sometimes but the problem is he always comes back.
NO it's not. Page 24, you referenced, has the law right there. Read it.

I never said wounding loss is illegal, learn to read. Taking the untagged bulls head is illegal. A cursory reading comprehension could have saved you much embarrassment.

Rsgards
Read and understand.
wrong,,again.
Says the ginger [bleep] Calnum.
wrong,,again.

You can say that...believe it...but it doesn't make it true...

Look at pg 24 in the deer, elk, and antelope regs. In fact, anyone can read the cited regs and determine for themselves that you are incorrect.

Enjoy the fantasy land you live in...

Regards
Thanks for the pics Shrapnel!

Great thread[prior to the two resident idiots showing].
I had a run in with a big boar grizzly in Wyoming a couple years back. I had a rifle in hand but my bear spray was on my pack hanging off the saddle horn and the horse took off down the mountain with it. I fired in the general direction of the bear as it was coming my way at about 40 yards and the bear broke off and left. It all happened very quickly. I recovered my horse and went along with my day.

Scared the [bleep] out of me and if that makes me a puzzy so be it. Way too close for comfort and I am not looking for a repeat. Different than seeing them at the ole zoo...
Once again we see the "experts" getting into a pizzing match over something no one cares about.

The topic WAS hunting Elk in Griz country, NOT antler gathering.

As for the flatlanders who don't believe "shoot shovel and shut up" is a myth, you DNS.

Maybe they don't all get buried but a couple of TSXs through the guts kills them and leaves no evidence.

The states could be making huge money off a regulated season but a bunch of bark lickers in DC stops that.

Shame the Governors don't have the balls to tell the Feds to FU as all three could be economically self sufficient.
Originally Posted by Raeford
Thanks for the pics Shrapnel!

Great thread[prior to the two resident idiots showing].

Thanks...

Also thanks for the thread and pictures Shrapnel.

Regards
Just so all the Debbie Downers know, Sharp and I. Are out in the NO BEAR part of Montana living the dream. 75 degrees, no wind, lots of p-dogs and gophers without a care in the world. The haters can keep on doing their thing and we’ll do ours. Life is good.
Once again we see the "experts" getting into a pizzing match over something no one cares about.

As for the flatlanders who don't believe "shoot shovel and shut up" is a myth, you DNS.

Maybe they don't all get buried but a couple of TSXs through the guts kills them and leaves no evidence.

The states could be making huge money off a regulated season but a bunch of bark lickers in DC stops that.

Shame the Governors don't have the balls to tell the Feds to FU as all three could be economically self sufficient.

Funny how many members of BHA opposed the proposed grizzly management in Montana and Wyoming and Idaho.

Ol Shrap is scared, not bullschitting.

Cut him some slack.

But, but, but wait, you are the 'long range' guru, correct?
Funny how every pic you post you are bragging about 'the distance shot' except THIS THREAD?
Funny that!

So how often are you out there alone[you know, without real badasses backing you up] in the wilderness with bow only?

LOL.

We get it.

You're a skeird puZZy.

Stay in town.

And then Smokepoles chimes in, hemorrhoid Burn’s anal wart brother.
Great post as always Shrap. Thanks for posting.
Just so all the Debbie Downers know, Sharp and I. Are out in the NO BEAR part of Montana living the dream. 75 degrees, no wind, lots of p-dogs and gophers without a care in the world. The haters can keep on doing their thing and we’ll do ours. Life is good.

I was trying to paint the exterior of our house, but rain ruined the day and put me on the couch. Yeah, I’m gonna hate on you and Kirk for enjoying a good day of shooting prairie furs.

Enjoy the suck!

Lol

🦫

And to say Sharp needs to stay in town? Only pictures I’ve seen of you show a fat boy with an AR and usually somebody to carry the load standing with you.
Shrap on the other hand only posts cool [bleep], like sweet guns usually with dead critters. No fanfare, just the the good stuff.

Have a nice day.

I don't really understand why you want more pictures of me in this thread but here's a bull and there are grizzly tracks in the snow.

Add it to your spankbank.

Never has the pleasure of elk hunting in Grizzly Bear country. Too damned old to do it now anyway. If I did, I'd feel well armed with my .35 Whelen and 225 gr. TSX loads. It's what I use for elk anyway.
Paul B.

Have a nice day.

I don't really understand why you want more pictures of me in this thread but here's a bull and there are grizzly tracks in the snow.

Add it to your spankbank.

The reason people don’t like you Burnsy, is because you’re a [bleep]. But feel free to validate your ego by posting pictures for people you have never met and never will meet.

This is an awesome thread, and you suck cock. It is what it is.

LOL.

We get it.

You're a skeird puZZy.

Stay in town.

And then Smokepoles chimes in, hemorrhoid Burn’s anal wart brother.

Well, at least I don't call myself "Jeffrey."
Kenlguy: I know in Washington you can salvage the horns during Elk seasons - but you have to "tag" them.
Not sure what gives after a season?
I have done so (salvaged antlers/horns) in Montana several times now - including from archery wounded Elk, archery wounded Mule Deer, archery wounded Antelope and archery wounded Whitetails!
But I have done these more or less on the sly.
Last year an archery wounded Mule Deer had been slumping around in the fields adjacent to my home with an arrow through its neck for nearly two months. Numerous reports came to the local game warden detachment and they finally (after weeks of trying!) got close enough to this Buck Mule Deer to "dart" him and then remove the arrow.
We are seeing more and more Grizzly sign each year. Wife and I saw three Grizz in three separate spots in one day going over Beartooth Pass (not in a park but in public lands!).
It is time for a Grizzly season in Montana.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Losttrasil60 is wrong and full of schit..... typical brain dead libtard....

In regards to bighorn sheep it says "It is unlawful to posses bighorn sheep head/horns picked up in the wild" this has been a law for a long time , a legally taken sheep has an identifying plug placed in the horns... I have heard of rare exceptions where a person finds a ram dead by natural causes and a game warden accompanies them to the site and allows an individual to take the horns... my guess is you better have connections to make that happen.

As for elk deer etc... the law is a little more vague... but I tend to believe Shrapnel on this.
Cutting off horns without tagging them during season is bound to get you in trouble

As usual another resident libtard (lostsoul60) is a moron and wrong

You're even more full of shît than callnum lol.

Brother Gruff... up the pole is Larry Root
wrong,,again.

Look at pg 24 in the deer, elk, and antelope regs. In fact, anyone can read the cited regs and determine for themselves that you are incorrect.

Regards

If callnum had any pride they'd be embarrassed enough to admit they were wrong.

Wow, this was ridiculously easy. Read the regs lol.

Brother Gruff... up the pole is Larry Root

That actually makes sense. Same writing style and all.
wrong,,again.

Regards

An Achilles heal of leftist is they can never admit they are wrong, stupid and misinformed
wrong,,again.

Regards

An Achilles heal of leftist is they can never admit they are wrong, stupid and misinformed

Honestly brother fubar, I don't even think it's ambiguous. Pretty cut and dry actually.

Damn you BangPop.... I have been following the infamous prairie dog map to Shrap's killing ground for years now and it has only lead me to the top of the Beartooths... sonofabitch ....... ;(

In regards to bighorn sheep it says "It is unlawful to posses bighorn sheep head/horns picked up in the wild" this has been a law for a long time , a legally taken sheep has an identifying plug placed in the horns... I have heard of rare exceptions where a person finds a ram dead by natural causes and a game warden accompanies them to the site and allows an individual to take the horns... my guess is you better have connections to make that happen.

As for elk deer etc... the law is a little more vague... but I tend to believe Shrapnel on this.
Cutting off horns without tagging them during season is bound to get you in trouble

Wrong again California transplant.

With the passage of Senate Bill 344, it is now legal for people to pick up and possess skulls and horns of bighorn sheep as long as they died of natural causes. Those who recover horns or skulls must report the find to Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks within 48 hours and present it to FWP for inspection and plugging within 10 days

With the passage of Senate Bill 344, it is now legal for people to pick up and possess skulls and horns of bighorn sheep as long as they died of natural causes. Those who recover horns or skulls must report the find to Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks within 48 hours and present it to FWP for inspection and plugging within 10 days
Why'd you change your handle calnum?
Possession of Wildlife Parts (MCA 87-6-202)
A person may not possess, ship, or transport all or part of any game fish, bird, game animal, or fur-bearing animal that was unlawfully killed, captured, or taken, whether killed, captured, or taken in Montana or outside of Montana. “Possess” includes the act of killing, capturing, or taking a game fish, bird, game animal, or fur-bearing animal regardless of whether the person takes or retains physical possession of the fish, bird, or animal This section does not prohibit the possession, shipping, or transportation of: (a) hides, heads, or mounts of lawfully
killed, captured, or taken game fish, birds, game animals, or fur-bearing animals, except that the sale or purchase of a hide, head, or mount of a grizzly bear is prohibited, except as provided by federal law;
(b) naturally shed antlers or the antlers with a skull or portion of a skull attached from a game animal that has died from natural causes and that has not been unlawfully killed, captured, or taken or accidentally killed;

Ooops looks like I have a little crow to dine on.....
Doesn't change the fact you are a liberal moron.... wink
Calnum votes for retards that want to abolish 2A.
Calnum is losttrail60.

Ooops looks like I have a little crow to dine on.....
Doesn't change the fact you are a liberal moron.... wink

To be specific... I was wrong in regards to bighorn sheep... it's been law for years you cannot salvage sheep horns... apparently in 2019 they changed that law... good to know.
wrong,,again.

Regards

The bull in the op’s post wasn’t accidentally killed or illegally killed. It is legal to take the horns

I can keep busting you guys up all night long

Wounding loss is not an accident
The bull in the op’s post wasn’t accidentally killed or illegally killed. It is legal to take the horns

Lol...keep digging.

Correct, even though I don't agree with the law, necessarily.

Maybe irfubar can prove he isn't a liberal by admitting he's wrong...probably won't happen.

I guess he did sort of admit he was wrong...which makes me wrong about my prior statement.

That makes me ultra conservative, I reckon.
Originally Posted by BuzzH

Maybe irfubar can prove he isn't a liberal by admitting he's wrong...probably won't happen.

Care to address callnum's assertion you can take the head of an unclaimed hunter kill without tagging it?

I guess he did sort of admit he was wrong...which makes me wrong about my prior statement.

I was wrong Buzz....
I didn't realize they changed the law in 2019...
I must say I don't agree with change, seems to me it opens up an opportunity for someone to poach a ram and keep the trophy.
My position was based on years of law.... so I forgive myself.... smile

Care to address callnum's assertion you can take the head of an unclaimed hunter kill without tagging it?

Not really, simply don't give a chit enough to bother reading the regs to find out. The bull in question is a dink. A good eating sized bull with maybe a buck fifty in antler to an antler buyer. I've got few dozen raghorn racks just like it and I'm out of rafter space.

The sheep law bothers me though, as I know what some people will do for a K or 2.

Tagging it would also be illegal.

I was wrong Buzz....
I didn't realize they changed the law in 2019...
I must say I don't agree with change, seems to me it opens up an opportunity for someone to poach a ram and keep the trophy.
My position was based on years of law.... so I forgive myself.... smile

Totally agree with you, the new law is BS and opens the door for scumbags to do what they do.
I have lost two elk to Grizzly's. Bastards. Both in Wyoming.
"What's the rule on salvaging horn from a rotten elk?"

That elk ? Ask the bear first....
Possession of Wildlife Parts (MCA 87-6-202)
A person may not possess, ship, or transport all or part of any game fish, bird, game animal, or fur-bearing animal that was unlawfully killed, captured, or taken, whether killed, captured, or taken in Montana or outside of Montana. “Possess” includes the act of killing, capturing, or taking a game fish, bird, game animal, or fur-bearing animal regardless of whether the person takes or retains physical possession of the fish, bird, or animal This section does not prohibit the possession, shipping, or transportation of: (a) hides, heads, or mounts of lawfully
killed, captured, or taken game fish, birds, game animals, or fur-bearing animals, except that the sale or purchase of a hide, head, or mount of a grizzly bear is prohibited, except as provided by federal law;
(b) naturally shed antlers or the antlers with a skull or portion of a skull attached from a game animal that has died from natural causes and that has not been unlawfully killed, captured, or taken or accidentally killed;

Is it lawfully killed if un-tagged?

Wouldn't think so.

Should have read farther down.
Originally Posted by Steve

You need reading lessons lol

Is wounding loss considered natural causes?
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

It looks like he’s saying a lost/legally hunted elk IS legally killed, so the horns/skull can be taken?

I don’t know. I have very little elk hunting experience and haven’t yet committed the minutia of the MFWP Hunting Regulations to memory as of yet.

It looks like he’s saying a lost/legally hunted elk IS legally killed, so the horns/skull can be taken?

I don’t know. I have very little elk hunting experience and haven’t yet committed the minutia of the MFWP Hunting Regulations to memory as of yet.

He has talked himself into a corner...in addition to being wrong lol

Ymmv

Maybe you confused personal issues with ..uh sheep?

https://legiscan.com/MT/bill/SB344/2021

"Summary
Allow for adult inmates at Pine Hills Youth Correctional Facility"

No, it isn’t. We did call FWP about taking the horns and they said no. They told us to call Tip-Mont and report it to them. We did that and never heard back.

FWP said NO on the horns, so we left them for the bear. If they don’t know what they’re talking about, who does?
Originally Posted by SBTCO

"Summary

A little confusing....
This is the one I found... https://legiscan.com/MT/bill/SB344/2019

along with the 344 bill you found

No, it isn’t. We did call FWP about taking the horns and they said no. They told us to call Tip-Mont and report it to them. We did that and never heard back.

FWP said NO on the horns, so we left them for the bear. If they don’t know what they’re talking about, who does?

Straight from the horses mouth... so to speak
Originally Posted by SBTCO

"Summary

A little confusing....
This is the one I found... https://legiscan.com/MT/bill/SB344/2019

along with the 344 bill you found

Still think Lost rail was pining for the 2021 bill...just in case.

You believe that crap?

Per the wardens I have talked to no.

You believe that crap?

Yes... because it seems like common sense to me. To posses fresh horns during season with out a tag attached seems like a can of worms to me

ICYMI
That's one good thing about hunting the Eastern hardwoods.....you're usually not on the menu.

You believe that crap?

Yes... because it seems like common sense to me. To posses fresh horns during season with out a tag attached seems like a can of worms to me

I will go with the regs, it’s worked in the past.

ICYMI

That means In Case You Missed It callnum.
Totally agree with you, the new law is BS and opens the door for scumbags to do what they do.

While I don't agree with the Buzzster on many political issues I would say that making trafficking in sheep horns more difficult is good policy for wildlife in North America.

As far as antlers in Wyoming once a grizzly is on an elk he owns the whole thing.

F around on a buried elk and you will get a ticket.

If you want the horns come back in a few months and get an interstate game tag.

Also don't be a whiney puzzy when you find a grizzly kill. Lookin at you Shrappy. wink
Burns

Be honest. After your doctor said to cut out drinking you grabbed a sharpie and scissors?
Posted By: 673 Re: Elk Hunting In Grizzly Country - 09/28/22
Anyways.....Stumbling across a buried animal or near one, is probably how most people get beat up by a grizzly, as opposed to a predatory attack.

My friend who lives near me was walking around above his house, he smelled something dead, briefly looked around, then he saw a grizzly walking around in the thick bush, within 100ft of him lol. He got out of there quick and didn't think the grizzly saw/smelled him.
There must of been a buried carcass around there somewhere.
So serious question: if you are on your elk kill and a grizzly tries to claim it, can you shoot the grizzly? Are you required to give your kill up to a grizzly? Not asking about self defense. But can you defend your kill from a grizzly?
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
So serious question: if you are on your elk kill and a grizzly tries to claim it, can you shoot the grizzly? Are you required to give your kill up to a grizzly? Not asking about self defense. But can you defend your kill from a grizzly?

Do you enjoy the company of the feds?
Tell the Grizz you have an attorney on speed dial

That would be an emphatic no.

🦫
The game warden finally called back, he doesn’t know lost Trail but he does know lost trail is an idiot. The horns were not free for the taking under those circumstances. But it does sound like now it would be between us and the bear if we wanted the horns.
The game warden finally called back, he doesn’t know lost Trail but he does know lost trail is an idiot. The horns were not free for the taking under those circumstances. But it does sound like now it would be between us and the bear if we wanted the horns.

Funny thing tho, the warden captain I talked to said just the opposite and as he put it
"its very clear in the regs but most have a hard time reading". I laughed and told him my thoughts exactly.

Funny thing tho, the warden captain I talked to said just the opposite and as he put it
"its very clear in the regs but most have a hard time reading". I laughed and told him my thoughts exactly.

Yeah, every-body's funnee, now U funnee too.

Why was it that U changed user names again?

Seems we have two different stories regarding game wardens interpretation of the law.....
From two different posters....
So lets compare the two....

Shrapnel, post pic's, has real relations with other members, doesn't create sock puppets, doesn't hide his identity etc....

Losttrail on the other hand, never post a pic, creates sock puppets, hides his identity, lies etc....

Hmmm who to believe?
Originally Posted by Steve

You need reading lessons lol

I need a hell of a lot more than that!
Very cool thread and pics - thanks Shrapnel! This is what I come to the ‘fire for.

The only stashed kill I’ve come upon was a sheep killed by a lion and stuffed into shallow cave. That was on a bluff above the Pecos river and the pucker factor wasn’t on the same chart as this!
Death from an arrow or bullet is not “ natural causes” under Montana law.
Shrapnel’s report from the warden is correct.
Do not follow alternative interpretation.

With the exception of Alaska in every state I am aware of you can’t do squat about a grizzly bear claiming your dead elk or whatever you have down. The only reason I would except AK is if you have a valid tag or are in an open brown/griz unit and that bear doesn’t have cubs—-IE, if you could kill that bear anyhow, even if it wasn’t claiming your carcass. The way I understand it, Alaska nor other states does not consider harvested game (even if hanging in your camp) as your “property” when it comes to bears.

I presume the Yukon is the same, but don’t really know.
Posted By: las Re: Elk Hunting In Grizzly Country - 09/28/22
Originally Posted by 673
Anyways.....Stumbling across a buried animal or near one, is probably how most people get beat up by a grizzly, as opposed to a predatory attack.

My friend who lives near me was walking around above his house, he smelled something dead, briefly looked around, then he saw a grizzly walking around in the thick bush, within 100ft of him lol. He got out of there quick and didn't think the grizzly saw/smelled him.

Maybe not - could have been the bear itself after being on a rotting carcass.

I was taking my wife and boys out on a spring walk to one of my moose-hunting areas, with my carry rifle - '94 in .30-30.

50 yards off the road we got the smell, just as Mr. Bear (Brownies in this area, usually) went crashing off through the second growth, while we went back to the truck, post haste. A few days later I poked my nose in there again VERY cautiously! No smell, no carcass, no bear.

Killed a cow caribou up near the top of a ridge, once, after sunset, 2 miles from the truck. Gutted her, spread the rib cage open with granite shards and left. Over the top, and down in a big cirque, I got jumped in the half-dark at maybe 50 feet by a young 2 or 3 year old brownie coming out of a sunken, grass-lined stream bed. Bear was likely thinking I was a meal on the hoof of some sort. I certainly smelled like it after the hasty dressing job. After a brief stare down, a stand-up look at me, and loud - um- "conversation", it realized what I was and left muy pronto - up the way I'd come down.

Next morning I found it on the gut pile, which had rolled 50 yards or so down the steep slope from the cow. More "conversation" followed , only this time I had a fully loaded magazine and chamber in the '98 .280, instead of only 2 rounds in the mag as per the night before, after shooting the cow and not topping out again. Dumb!

The bear left, not without looking back a few times.

The bear had eaten the liver, took a little off the brisket, bitten into the heart, and crapped all over the place.

I kept the rifle within reach as I skinned and parcelled the cow, and had it in my hands before you could say "Oh, chit!" after I caught movement out of the corner of my eye.

I have never before nor since been puckered by a big batch of yellow and blue party balloons come drifting over the ridge line just above me..... smile

I'm with T Inman - bearanoia is over-rated, but pay attention!
Originally Posted by las
Originally Posted by 673

I was taking my wife and boys out on a spring walk to one of my moose-hunting areas, with my carry rifle - '94 in .30-30.

50 yards off the road we got the smell, just as Mr. Bear (Brownies in this area, usually) went crashing off through the second growth, while we went back to the truck, post haste. A few days later I poked my nose in there again VERY cautiously! No smell, no carcass, no bear.

Killed a cow caribou up near the top of a ridge, once, after sunset, 2 miles from the truck. Gutted her, spread the rib cage open with granite shards and left. Over the top, and down in a big cirque, I got jumped in the half-dark at maybe 50 feet by a young 2 or 3 year old brownie coming out of a sunken, grass-lined stream bed. Bear was likely thinking I was a meal on the hoof of some sort. I certainly smelled like it after the hasty dressing job. After a brief stare down, a stand-up look at me, and loud - um- "conversation", it realized what I was and left muy pronto - up the way I'd come down.

Next morning I found it on the gut pile, which had rolled 50 yards or so down the steep slope from the cow. More "conversation" followed , only this time I had a fully loaded magazine and chamber in the '98 .280, instead of only 2 rounds in the mag as per the night before, after shooting the cow and not topping out again. Dumb!

The bear had eaten the liver, took a little off the brisket, bitten into the heart, and crapped all over the place.

I kept the rifle within reach as I skinned and parcelled the cow, and had it in my hands before you could say "Oh, chit!" after I caught movement out of the corner of my eye.

I have never before nor since been puckered by a big batch of yellow and blue party balloons come drifting over the ridge line just above me..... smile

I always freak out when I see party balloons in the wild.... especially if they are attached to a clown.... wink
Funny about the balloons.

When I was a kid, my dad bribed me with bear hunting if I split enough wood throughout the summer. We spent the entire summer near West Yellowstone and bears were a common occurrence almost every day.

I split enough wood to qualify to go bear hunting at the end of the summer and my dad dropped my brother and I off at the highway to sneak into where the bears ate at a campground dump near Beaver Creek.

When we walked up, a black bear crawled out of the dump and my brother shot it. When we got up to it, there was an Eddy’s Bread sack hanging out of the bear’s butt.

Being kids, we weren’t sure how to handle the situation, and pointed it out to our dad.

All he said was “don’t mention any of this to your mother.”
Shrapnel, what do you think that bear weighed?
Originally Posted by viking
Shrapnel, what do you think that bear weighed?

I would guess around 500#

Almost always the right choice.
Many of my conversations with my sons have began or ended with “Don’t tell Mom”.
Funny about the balloons.

When I was a kid, my dad bribed me with bear hunting if I split enough wood throughout the summer. We spent the entire summer near West Yellowstone and bears were a common occurrence almost every day.

I split enough wood to qualify to go bear hunting at the end of the summer and my dad dropped my brother and I off at the highway to sneak into where the bears ate at a campground dump near Beaver Creek.

When we walked up, a black bear crawled out of the dump and my brother shot it. When we got up to it, there was an Eddy’s Bread sack hanging out of the bear’s butt.

Being kids, we weren’t sure how to handle the situation, and pointed it out to our dad.

ha
Posted By: 673 Re: Elk Hunting In Grizzly Country - 09/30/22
Originally Posted by las
Originally Posted by 673

That is an exellent point you bring up las, it may have been the bear that stank and maybe there was no buried carcass.
© 24hourcampfire