Home
I posted a thread earlier that got polluted with idiotic innuendo. This is a clean pictorial of how quick a few Grizzlies can consume a full sized bull elk. If you think that Alaska has all the big bears, you might want to think again...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GReat pics, Shrap. Any idea as to what the population is up your way?
Originally Posted by jorgeI
GReat pics, Shrap. Any idea as to what the population is up your way?

Yes, 2 as in 2 many...
Those bears are amazing.
That’s a biggun in that last pic. “Eatin’ good in the ‘hood” 😁
They do look big.
I was talking to a fellow hunter yesterday about the local grizzly population around here, he said he saw one burying a carcass about 8 years ago in a logging block. He went back in there for a look, and it had a black bear buried, he said he wasn't sure if the grizzly had killed the black bear or not.
Montana: 1,800 to 2,000.

source
Great pictures! Beautiful animal.
Very cool
Estimated weight on them?
Thanks again!
Big SOB.
Originally Posted by CrowRifle

Hard to really say, but I would bet that big one is over 600#

great pictures Shrapnel!

I do not know their weight, but I would assume similar to Oprah Winfrey's weight.

673, here is on my friend killed in BC a few years ago, pretty big! I live in Alberta, way too many of them now since they banned Grizzly hunting.

Those first pictures look like big bears when comparing it to the size of the elk antlers.
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Makes a 10mm in your quiver look a bit overwhelmed. Then there’s the 458win saga that is absolutely amazing.
Those bears look pretty healthy. Cool pics.
A double!!

Cool
Thanks for the pictures. I have no desire at all to run into one of those big boys.

L.W.
If you think that Alaska has all the big bears, you might want to think again...

Alaska has the biggest bears - end of discussion. Nice try though
Here are before and after pictures that show the power of a grizzly and how little anything, including a tree, will slow him down. Notice the trees in the foreground when the elk was first buried and how they aren't there anymore...

Originally Posted by MuskegMan
If you think that Alaska has all the big bears, you might want to think again...

Some Alaskans do have a difficulty seeing the difference between big and biggest...
You would have been better off just sayin' MT has some big bears smirk
Cool pics. Thanks for sharing them.
Originally Posted by 673
They do look big.
I was talking to a fellow hunter yesterday about the local grizzly population around here, he said he saw one burying a carcass about 8 years ago in a logging block. He went back in there for a look, and it had a black bear buried, he said he wasn't sure if the grizzly had killed the black bear or not.

I'm sure you know that they will.

I do not know their weight, but I would assume similar to Oprah Winfrey's weight.

KillerBee, what did a bear ever do to you to get compared to Oprah? No wonder there is bear/human conflict....sheesh, hold into the salad....grin
My God
I’ve fed my neighborhood bear a few bulls

[Linked Image]

Maybe 175 on the big one. Everyone always overestimates bear weight

😁
I posted a thread earlier that got polluted with idiotic innuendo. This is a clean pictorial of how quick a few Grizzlies can consume a full sized bull elk. If you think that Alaska has all the big bears, you might want to think again...

I put a camera on an elk cow here and just getting ravens and mag pies. Have yet to get a griz on a game camera

cool pics
Now all you need is a season.

Ravens are bigger too.
Originally Posted by OldHat

Ravens are bigger too.
Happy camper phoned lately?
LOL
I bet you all in that country are careful. It probably wouldn’t be good to walk up on one, startle him or her. Do you walk out at night to a hunting spot?? What about a kill after dark?? The only thing down here that concerns is walking up on a big feral pig sow with babies. I put an arrow in a piglet once, bitch went crazy. I wear a sidearm just for that, probably couldn’t hit cshit, but maybe the noise will scare them..
You would have been better off just sayin' MT has some big bears smirk

You seem determined to fugk up as many threads as possible.
Great pics, shrap. Thanks for sharing.
Originally Posted by hanco
I bet you all in that country are careful. It probably wouldn’t be good to walk up on one, startle him or her. Do you walk out at night to a hunting spot? I wear a sidearm just for that, probably couldn’t hit cshit, but maybe the noise will scare them..

I do wear a revolver and bear spray, but when you look at the size of that bear, you lose confidence in the gun and never had any confidence in the bear spray..

I bet you all in that country are careful. It probably wouldn’t be good to walk up on one, startle him or her. Do you walk out at night to a hunting spot? I wear a sidearm just for that, probably couldn’t hit cshit, but maybe the noise will scare them..

I do wear a revolver and bear spray, but when you look at the size of that bear, you lose confidence in the gun and never had any confidence in the bear spray..

No kidding.

The walking sticks with bells attached that REI sells to the granola/yogurt/Subaru/armpit hair crowd kinda cracks me up.

What you need is a good pair of Nikes, and a hiking companion with flip flops.

Great pics.
Nice bear pictures. It's always a jolt to me when I see them.
I've seen them in the Yaak and the Swan Valley.
Awesome pictures of some big bears….even for Montana.jk. 👍

They are awe inspiring when encountered in their natural habitat and just about anything you carry for a firearm seems small. I do love having the wild places that they inhabit and without those top tiered predators those places wouldn’t be wild.

Great thread Shrap. 👍
One if the coolest animals on the planet!
Looks like moose hunting on the Kenai Peninsula! Big brown bears are every where. I love hunting in wild country. All wilderness has grizzly bears. Trees and brush and mountains are not wilderness with out the big bears.
My dick is bigger than yours?

Clyde
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
Originally Posted by 673
They do look big.

One of the comments below that youtube vid:

"You should always carry pepper spray and wear a bell when in bear country. You can tell the kind of bear by examining their poop. Black bear poop contains twigs and berries. Grizzly bear poop smells like pepper spray and contains little bells."
Koool pics

L I K E !!!!!!!!

When they find your camera........

They're gonna destroy it !
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
Originally Posted by 673
They do look big.

One of the comments below that youtube vid:

"You should always carry pepper spray and wear a bell when in bear country. You can tell the kind of bear by examining their poop. Black bear poop contains twigs and berries. Grizzly bear poop smells like pepper spray and contains little bells."

Also helps if you are adept at climbing trees. If the bears climbs after you, it's a black bear; if it tears the tree down to get you it's a grizzly.
...and always remember to file off the front sight of the revolver you tote for defense.
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
That's for sure.
Great post Schrap.
I've been in awe of Grizz all of my life.

Hunted interior Grizz twice and Kodiak once.
All were hunts to be revered and instilled incredible respect for the beasts.

I was in YNP with the wife and this big boar came within feet of her window just at sundown.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Not a fan. Them or wolves or rattlesnakes in the yard.

KillerBee, what did a bear ever do to you to get compared to Oprah? No wonder there is bear/human conflict....sheesh, hold into the salad....grin

Nothing really, except I marvel how big they can both get, as long as I am not on the menu, no issues!
Originally Posted by Salmonella
Great post Schrap.
I've been in awe of Grizz all of my life.

Hunted interior Grizz twice and Kodiak once.
All were hunts to be revered and instilled incredible respect for the beasts.

I was in YNP with the wife and this big boar came within feet of her window just at sundown.

And Houston_2 thinks the pedophiles and globohomos can take out the bear.

LMAO
Great pictures and thank you for sharing. I do believe I would want an 8 round slug gun in that country.
Originally Posted by High_Noon
...and always remember to file off the front sight of the revolver you tote for defense.

Uhhhh.....this must be some sort of inside joke right? That not actually a legitimate suggestion?
Originally Posted by 160user
Great pictures and thank you for sharing. I do believe I would want an 8 round slug gun in that country.

I hunt in Grizz country, you would want the last 2 or three shots to be 3" OO Buckshot. Pretty hard to bite something if you face and teeth are gone!
Originally Posted by KillerBee
Originally Posted by 160user

I hunt in Grizz country, you would want the last 2 or three shots to be 3" OO Buckshot. Pretty hard to bite something if you face and teeth are gone!
Shoot them in both front feet too
Thanks for sharing those pics. I’ve really enjoyed them.
Amazing animal.
Originally Posted by Verylargeboots

Uhhhh.....this must be some sort of inside joke right? That not actually a legitimate suggestion?

It is so you don't chip a tooth when you put it in your mouth to pull the trigger rather than die from the bear. Yes it is a joke.
Originally Posted by Longbob

It is so you don't chip a tooth when you put it in your mouth to pull the trigger rather than die from the bear. Yes it is a joke.
It is so when the bear is ramming the pistol up your azz it doesnt hurt near as much.

Thanks. I assumed it was a joke, but this is the Fire, so I couldn't completely rule it out as nothing but terrible advice haha.
We have some really cool stuff on the campfire... if you can sort through all the bullshit... this is the good stuff.... smile

LoL!
Originally Posted by losttrail60

LoL!
Calls4cum is an expert on interior grizz.
LOL

That’s the same batunka ass all the Kardashians pay a cosmetic surgeon to give them.

🦫
That an impressive bear!
I saw some game cam pics a couple of weeks ago of a water hole on Buck ridge near the First Yellow Mule which is just a few miles South of Big Sky resort. In 2 days, 7 different grizzlies and 2 black bears went to this water hole. No shortage of bears around.
So how gd many grizzly bears do the feds want?
Originally Posted by Beaver10

That’s the same batunka ass all the Kardashians pay a cosmetic surgeon to give them.

🦫

Hehehe. Fo sho bro.
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Tigers are way cooler.
Timothy Treadwell got all excited about bears too.

Well as long as you brought up ole Timmy, you know what his pappy used to tell him when he was a kid?
This has been an interesting thread--partly because of the comments on grizzly bear size.

The biggest Montana weighed on a certified scale in front of witnesses went 1018 pounds, no doubt in the fall, when they tend to be fattest. But around 15-20 years ago some of the bear researchers with the state game department trapped and tranquilized one in the spring--which bottomed out the 800-pound portable scale they used in the mountains. I wouldn't be surprised if that bear wouldn't have weighed more than 1018 pounds in the fall.

Like Shrap I was born and raised here (in fact we was a year behind me at Bozeman Senior High School), and run into a bunch of grizzlies over the decades, some in Glacier and Yellowstone Parks. Luckily none has been aggressive. Have run into others in Canada, in Alberta, British Columbia and Northwest and Nunavut Territories. In fact saw 10 on a horsepack caribou, elk and moose hunt in northern BC--and a big one tried to come in on my guide and me as we were cutting up my moose. Luckily, the bear realized we were ready--but was on the remnants of the bull when we packed out on the nearby trail two days later. He was the biggest I've seen outside of Alaska--though dunno if he weighed over 1000 pounds.

The two biggest I've seen in Alaska were both on Kodiak Island, where I've done three fishing and one hunting trip, but the interior bear I took in 2009 was big enough that both my guide (a bigger and younger guy) had to expend considerable effort to roll the bear over for skinning.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
This has been an interesting thread--partly because of the comments on grizzly bear size.

The biggest Montana weighed on a certified scale in front of witnesses went 1018 pounds, no doubt in the fall, when they tend to be fattest. But around 15-20 years ago some of the bear researchers with the state game department trapped and tranquilized one in the spring--which bottomed out the 800-pound portable scale they used in the mountains. I wouldn't be surprised if that bear wouldn't have weighed more than 1018 pounds in the fall.

Like Shrap I was born and raised here (in fact we was a year behind me at Bozeman Senior High School), and run into a bunch of grizzlies over the decades, some in Glacier and Yellowstone Parks. Luckily none has been aggressive. Have run into others in Canada, in Alberta, British Columbia and Northwest and Nunavut Territories. In fact saw 10 on a horsepack caribou, elk and moose hunt in northern BC--and a big one tried to come in on my guide and me as we were cutting up my moose. Luckily, the bear realized we were ready--but was on the remnants of the bull when we packed out on the nearby trail two days later. He was the biggest I've seen outside of Alaska--though dunno if he weighed over 1000 pounds.

Well Lost Trail laughed at the 600 pound guesstimate, what would you guess he weighs?
Originally Posted by Tide_Change

Well as long as you brought up ole Timmy, you know what his pappy used to tell him when he was a kid?

You are never going to amount to sh... Well, he sure showed him!

Well Lost Trail laughed at the 600 pound guesstimate, what would you guess he weighs?

Losttrail is an absolute chickenshït troll.

I’d be interested in weight estimate as well.
True Story,

An old timer and friend of mine told me story 20 years ago and I thought I would share it with you guys.

Many years before he told me this story, a man that went hunting about 2 hours from where I live, went hunting on his own and without a partner. Well he did not return from his hunt and a few days later a search party went to look for him but they could not find him, so they gave up.

A week later my friend went moose hunting in the same area on his own, he was an expert hunter and knew his way around the bush. Anyway a couple of hours into the hunt he came across an area that looked pretty disturbed, like you would see in an area where moose were fighting and at the same time he smelled the definite order of rotting flesh.

He was looking around and noticed a pile of leaves, dirt and debris typical when you come across an animal that had been buried by a bear, so he went a little closer to have a look wondering if it was a buried moose or elk.

While he walked towards it he noticed a boot sticking out of the pile of debris which struck him as odd and a few steps more he saw that the boot was attached to a meatless tibia and fibula and the rest covered by the leaves and dirt.

Needless to say he got the %#$* out of there ASAP. He told me that he was never more scared in his life and that on the way out his head was on a swivel. We did not have cell phones back then and there was really no rush to call the police anyway. When he got home he called the RCMP and told them he found the man. He took them back to the area, sure enough it was him, the missing guy. They took his remains out and he did get a proper burial.

I hunt in grizz country, and a grizz is the only animal that makes me nervous, except for bull moose when I bow hunt them during the rut and calling them in really close.

I have the highest respect for all bears, I have seen them first hand doing things that takes incredible strength and that is truly remarkable. One bear came at me up a tree once, he was in my tree stand in a few seconds and I was 20 feet up. Where I hunt its pretty thick bush, and you do not get to see them coming from a long way off.

I never go into grizz country unless I am properly armed and always on FULL ALERT.

Cheers ~

You are never going to amount to sh... Well, he sure showed him!

Well played !!!
Great pictures, Thanks for sharing Shrapnel.

Lol-Confirmation bias

https://www.greatfallstribune.com/story/news/local/2016/07/18/famous-grizzlies-montana/87168708/#:~:text=Lincoln%20bear%20The%20Lincoln%20Ranger%20District%20is%20home,bears%20ever%20documented%20in%20the%20continental%20United%20States.
Originally Posted by losttrail60

Lol

https://www.greatfallstribune.com/story/news/local/2016/07/18/famous-grizzlies-montana/87168708/#:~:text=Lincoln%20bear%20The%20Lincoln%20Ranger%20District%20is%20home,bears%20ever%20documented%20in%20the%20continental%20United%20States.
link no work callnum.
deleted
Grizzlies can get pretty big in MT/BC area.

In the late '80s biologists were studying bears in the area around the NW corner of Glacier Park, both sides of the border, for three years. There was an especially large male in the area, mostly on the B.C. side, which they never succeeded in trapping, but sometimes saw and quite often found and measured his tracks. They claimed that with the experience they had, they were able to judge autumn weight pretty closely by track dimensions, and estimated this one at very close to 1100 pounds. One day a biologist was watching a black bear which three days earlier had been trapped, weighed and otherwise probed, then tagged. It weighd 440 pounds. While watching, the huge grizzly rushed from the timber and killed the black and proceedede to devour it. The biologist said the grizzly had nearly the black's whole head in it's mouth.

The big guy was not normally known to cause problems, but the hunting outfitter in the area kept a messy camp and had been warned by BC conservation to clean it up. One evening he and some clients crossed the border (illegally), spent some time at the Northern Lights saloon in Polebridge. When they returned to camp the big griz was there eating trash, the outfitter gut shot it, probably hoping it would wander off before dying and thus avoiding scrutiny on himself; but leaving a wounded, huge grizzly wandering the woods during hunting season. A few days later the group returned to Polebridge, got drunk, and one of them told other patrons the story; as a result, BC conservation investigated, fined him and he forfeited the hunting/guiding license, for which he reportedly paid $1.5 million Canadian dollars. I don't remember the exchange rate at the time.

A large black grizzly was caught during that study period which was weighed at 880 lbs, but I don't remember what time of year.

The biggest I ever encountered in that general area was, according to FWP, around 750lbs fall fat.

source

How do they know? What method are they using for estimation? They could have 3,000 or more, maybe. Unless..

Alaska was using a method developed and used for Montana bear pop studies - admittedly not a good fit but all they had until they figured out how to do it more accurately. (And got the funding for it- always important)

Set up bait stations with barbed wire hair snatchers arounbd it, then DNA the suckers. Over a 3 or 4 year period of "capture and recapture" of the samples, they could make a far better estimate of the bear population.

We wound up with almost twice as many bears as with originally used Montana methodology. I'm thinking Montana probably is doing the same DNA-based method now, but don't know.

So they could be right.

Thanks. I assumed it was a joke, but this is the Fire, so I couldn't completely rule it out as nothing but terrible advice haha.
There is plenty of bad advice anyway.
We've had some big ones in Eastern Idaho. Idmilton got a big griz on tral cam at his blackbear bait a few years back. Iirc they had shot and skinned out a 350ish pound black bear and left the carcas near the bait. They were headed back to the bait a day or 2 later and something had carried the 350 carcas quite a ways down the trail. They went and checked their cams and it was a huge grizzly. I think it wasn't too far up the hill just east of rigby. If he sees this hopefully he can tell the story for us correctly.

Bb
Originally Posted by las

source

How do they know? What method are they using for estimation? They could have 3,000 or more, maybe. Unless..

Alaska was using a method developed and used for Montana bear pop studies - admittedly not a good fit but all they had until they figured out how to do it more accurately. (And got the funding for it- always important)

Set up bait stations with barbed wire hair snatchers arounbd it, then DNA the suckers. Over a 3 or 4 year period of "capture and recapture" of the samples, they could make a far better estimate of the bear population.

We wound up with almost twice as many bears as with originally used Montana methodology. I'm thinking Montana probably is doing the same DNA-based method now, but don't know.

So they could be right.
It was far better than using a no longer valid model with different parameters than the KP!
Cool pics, bears are some big bad muthers,.. but I notice that the crows ain’t goin away hungry either!!
las - At least 10 years ago I heard that Montana used the same barbed wire hair snatcher/DNA gathering technique in a rather limited area around Glacier National Park and likewise found they had twice as many grizzlies as previously estimated. They tried to get a federal grant to expand the study to all of northwestern MT, but were turned down. The biologist who told me this suspected the reason was that it would provide data supporting re-opening grizzly hunting, something the DC politicians/political hacks were against.
Way cool, Kirk. Scary predators. I can't even imagine walking up on one of those big beasts. Thanks for sharing.
I shot a Grizz once upon a time

My favorite line about grizzlies came out of a Sackett novel. Tell, I think it was, opined that it was amazing how filled up a country could get with just you and a griz in it.

Pretty much true, sometimes.
Originally Posted by irfubar
We have some really cool stuff on the campfire... if you can sort through all the bullshit... this is the good stuff.... smile
Along with Big Sky's fish pic, some dog threads and such.
Originally Posted by viking
So how gd many grizzly bears do the feds want?
That's easy....................................

MORE!
Originally Posted by crittrgittr

Congratulations on the grizz with a bow, not many can say they accomplished that.
Originally Posted by KillerBee

Congratulations on the grizz with a bow, not many can say they accomplished that.
Takes a pretty big pair to do it.

No kidding.

The walking sticks with bells attached that REI sells to the granola/yogurt/Subaru/armpit hair crowd kinda cracks me up.

What you need is a good pair of Nikes, and a hiking companion with flip flops.

Great pics.

lol
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

[video:flash]https://www.instagram.com/reel/CjJOyGcpRUA/?utm_source=ig_embed&utm_campaign=loading[/video]

Large male grizzly kills another grizzly

I'll take your word for it, but in that photo the head, ears and paws look a lot like a black bear.
ditto
© 24hourcampfire