Home
Posted By: CashisKing I trust Toyota! - 10/11/22
Fakebook flashed me an old post I had done...

"Two years ago Pearson Toyota towed/removed/rebuilt/reinstalled the electric motor on our 2010 Prius.

The car had 185,000 miles on it... and it was 11 years old.

NO CHARGE!!!

I trust Toyota...

Period... End of sentence"

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I tipped the mechanic $500 cash when no one was looking.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/11/22
The original 12v AGM ignition battery had fallen below the specified 12.4 volt minimum and this caused the motor/inverter to "Cook".

Toyota solved the problem without the slightest whine or complaint... in ONE DAY!
Posted By: tikkanut Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/11/22
I trust Toyoda for a reliable product

Have three currently....newest is an '11

Mileage totaled for the three is 677K and counting

All are 4x4 SUV's
Posted By: Teal Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/11/22
Originally Posted by tikkanut
I trust Toyoda for a reliable product

Have three currently....newest is an '11

Mileage totaled for the three is 677K and counting

All are 4x4 SUV's

Same on reliable. I've owned 3 of them. Tercel was junk and for what they are, not unexpected but the truck and then Tacoma were excellent.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/11/22
That's neat my 95 toyota tacoma 2.7 4cyl has 251,000 miles on it and doesn't need to be rebuilt. When the battery crapped out on it last time I just bought one at wallyworld and put it in myself then went out and bought myself a new gun and a steak dinner with drinks as a tip to myself..mb what did your new batteries cost? Mine was 89 bucks
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/11/22
But But But. Kia , Hyundai have a great warranty grin

Counter guy at the UPS center has a very old Prius with 280k on it , no issues whatsoever. He bought it used when it had 100k on it and the previous owner thought it was not long for this earth.
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
That's neat my 95 toyota tacoma 2.7 4cyl has 251,000 miles on it and doesn't need to be rebuilt. When the battery crapped out on it last time I just bought one at wallyworld and put it in myself then went out and bought myself a new gun and a steak dinner with drinks as a tip to myself..mb what did your new batteries cost? Mine was 89 bucks

The AGMs are a bit expensive... it has to vent to atmosphere. $110 IIRC at the time.
Posted By: rainshot Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/11/22
I had a 03 Tundra. It had less than 10k miles on it and the Ck engine light kept coming on. Took it to the dealer. The mechanic told me they had a defective fuel neck that they knew about but never put out a recall to change out that 6” or so fill tube for gas. They charged me for it. Yeah trust Toyota.
I get better gas mileage with my full size F150 super crew than that little Tundra. It did get me a ticket once for “exhibition of Acceleration “ in Frost Texas from the local Elvis impersonator cop for spinning out on gravel at an intersection. It got dismissed though because apparently Elvis couldn’t spell either word.
Posted By: org_Rogue_Hunter Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/11/22
I've had 3 Tacoma that were rock solid. Got as high as 243,000 on one...probably could have drove them all further, but worried I'd have to replace exhaust system and shocks...LOL

HOWEVER, the 2010 Tacoma I have now has been one thing after the next: of course the frame issue; left front wheel bearing; both struts; both u-joints; cabin fan motor; and now the motor assy. for the DS power window is giving out.

The struts and u-joints were covered by Toyota...but, it's that my trust in "Toyota quality" has been shaken...1 for 4 is mostly pretty good, but 25% failure rate???

Pondering a Dodge Ram for next truck.
Posted By: Raeford Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/11/22
Toyota doesn't seem to be going all in on the EV's, telling.

Replaced the '03 battery this past summer

Went with the AGM Everstart H6......$184 OTD

48 month replacement

Next size up the H7......little big for the tray

[Linked Image from i5.walmartimages.com]
Posted By: Chisos Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/11/22
Originally Posted by CashisKing
The original 12v AGM ignition battery had fallen below the specified 12.4 volt minimum and this caused the motor/inverter to "Cook".

Toyota solved the problem without the slightest whine or complaint... in ONE DAY!
Originally Posted by Raeford

VERY MUCH SO!

.GOV is seriously pissed about that.

.GOV is going to be going "all in" on G rigs here shortly. Guess who will pay for that epic disaster?
Toyota vs the new Ford Maverick

Posted By: Steelwaver Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/11/22
I trust Toyota. They are the best for me.
Posted By: Chisos Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/11/22
Got charged $198.00 for a new coolant change on my '13 Tundra when I was having the transmission serviced. When reading the fine print of the invoice afterwards, the change consisted of 1(one) gallon of new coolant. Was also informed when I brought the truck in, to change the headlight shut off delay from 30 seconds to 180 seconds "is only $135.00". Glad to see your experience with a dealership was better than mine.
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/11/22
I had two Toyota Tacoma company vehicles that were certainly good/great vehicles, but no better than the F-150s that I have had. That said, I certainly appreciate that Toyota isn’t part of the UAW. That alone will get my business on our next purchase.
Posted By: himmelrr Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/11/22
I love my Toyotas. I strayed away for an Explorer and Expedition a time or two but no more. I currently have a 1994 pickup, 2018 Tundra and my wife's car is a Lexus Hybrid. In the past, I had a couple of pickups (pre-Tacoma), a T100, a 2001 Tundra and a 2005 Tundra. The highest mileage was the 2001 Tundra that had over 380K miles on it when my son wrecked it. ALL were dependable but there were a few issues here and there. Nothing that was high dollar repairs, just O2 sensors and the like.

My hard earned money will be spent at Toyota/Lexus dealers only.

Toyotas owned me or my kids have owned:
1988 Pickup
1994 Pickup (still own)
1996 T100
2001 Tundra
2002 Sequoia
2003 Highlander
2004 Sequoia
2004 4Runner
2005 Tundra
2007 4Runner
2015 Tacoma
2018 Tundra (still own)
Posted By: tzone Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/11/22
I trust Toyota. But I trust my Ford more. It's a better truck than my Tundra was and I liked the Tundra a lot.
Posted By: VaHunter Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/11/22
I have owned 3 and still drive 2 of them, a 2014 Highlander with approx. 197,000 mi. and a 1998 4Runner with approx. 258,000 mi. When we replace one of those it will be with a Toyota most likely.

I do have a Ford F250 Super Duty for play.
Posted By: Dutch Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/11/22
I had both a 88 corolla and a 97 Taco that were flawless. I disliked the 2009 Taco with a passion. Cheap to run, for sure, but, bleh, it was like driving a sponge.

As far as the video above, I ordered a Maverick even though I'm not a fan of domestic brands in general, specifically because of my last Tacoma. It was too big to be small enough, and to small to be big enough. Power was lacking, the transmission spent more time hunting than I do, and the fuel consumption was about the same as an F150, if not worse. The only selling point was longevity, which I acknowledge. But in the case of the Tacoma, I enjoyed the reliability for a long time, in discomfort. Yes, the Taco is going to outlast the Mav, but it's also 35% more expensive, gets much worse fuel economy (30%), and is less comfortable. Since I'm not looking for a trail capable vehicle, the nod goes to the Mav.
Posted By: g5m Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/11/22
My Toyotas have been very trouble free.
Posted By: mud_bogger Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/11/22
Originally Posted by org_Rogue_Hunter
HOWEVER, the 2010 Tacoma I have now has been one thing after the next: of course the frame issue; left front wheel bearing; both struts; both u-joints; cabin fan motor; and now the motor assy. for the DS power window is giving out.

The struts and u-joints were covered by Toyota...but, it's that my trust in "Toyota quality" has been shaken...1 for 4 is mostly pretty good, but 25% failure rate???

Seems like if you get a bad one, theres no fixing it. I have a '14 f150 5.0 that is like that. Biggest POS I have ever owned.
The '04 tacoma has been a damn good truck
Posted By: pal Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/11/22
Have owned Lariat, Explorer, Yukon, GMC Suburban, Land Cruiser and Tundra 4x4's. My 2000 Tundra has been the best of all. Quality far above Ford and GMC. I trust Toyota.
Posted By: Slowtrollr Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/11/22
A Taco, FJ40, FJ Cruiser and next I’ll add a FJ60 to the stable.

My Ram 2500 for pulling, they are the Toys.
Posted By: Slowtrollr Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/11/22
Posted By: MarcH Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/11/22
Am on my third Tundra. None of my Tundras were ever in a dealership for repairs.
Had a F150 in between, it was in the dealership six times in the year I owned it (all under warranty). The F150 was a more refined vehicle and I really liked it but had no faith in it for the long term.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/11/22
Toyota may not be jumping on the EV bandwagon, but they're losing me with their push to small displacement turbo engines. More complicated more stressed is NEVER BETTER.

Not sure what I'll do for my next truck, but after driving Tundras for 22+ years, the new Tundra leaves me cold in every way.
Posted By: JPro Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/11/22
I tend toward Toyota offerings, some Hondas, and full-size Ford trucks. We currently have an newer F150 and Camry, along with a 10yr old Accord and Highlander. About as exciting as vanilla ice cream, but they are good for what they are.
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/11/22
My Tundra is a 14, wife's 4 Runner is a 16, no issues so far.
W e both feel we bought the best available
Posted By: slumlord Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/11/22
I tip de chauffeur when it was ova and i gave her my OWWN ride
Posted By: JPro Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/11/22
Great. Now that's playing in my head....
Posted By: Valsdad Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/11/22

It would seem their new "truck" will be unibody then?

Maybe like a Subaru BRAT?

Could be interesting for light duty stuff, gravel roads, trips to town, especially if it comes in around $20K as that video title suggests.

I'd look into one to augment the '01 Tacoma and '16 RAV4 since our nice little Matrix wanted to go for a swim one day. A third vehicle would come in handy.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/11/22
Originally Posted by slumlord
That from one of them rap crap songs you like?

Which one?
Posted By: Dutch Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/11/22
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Could be interesting for light duty stuff, gravel roads, trips to town, especially if it comes in around $20K as that video title suggests.

I'd look into one to augment the '01 Tacoma and '16 RAV4 since our nice little Matrix wanted to go for a swim one day. A third vehicle would come in handy.

It's a unibody trucklet, more like the Ridgeline than the Brat. Ford offers them with tow options and "off road" (i.e. off pavement) packages, but skid plates make sense even running gravel roads. They sold out in 7 days for the 2023 model last month, and they go for an average premium of 18% over sticker if you find one on a lot somewhere. They make a lot of sense for a parts runner or delivery outfit, especially with the hybrid rated at 40 mpg city. The 2L gas motor is rated 28 HWY w. the AWD.
Posted By: reivertom Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/11/22
I agree, but a lot of it has to do with the local "stealership". Luckily I have has nothing but good experiences out of mine. I have a 22 year old Tundra I wouldn't trade for one of the new turbo V6 models if I had to keep it and drive it every day.
Posted By: Teal Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/11/22
I've decided the 3g Taco will be my next truck. Basically means a 22 or 23 whenever they hit the lot.
Originally Posted by tzone
I trust Toyota. But I trust my Ford more. It's a better truck than my Tundra was and I liked the Tundra a lot.

LMFAO
Originally Posted by reivertom
I agree, but a lot of it has to do with the local "stealership". Luckily I have has nothing but good experiences out of mine. I have a 22 year old Tundra I wouldn't trade for one of the new turbo V6 models if I had to keep it and drive it every day.

I have 2 toyota dealers and 3 honda dealers within a short drive. The 2 toyota dealers have very very competent mechanics, bring it in with a problem it gets fixed . The honda dealers are hit and miss.l The Ford, Chevy and Ram dealers are a joke.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/11/22
Still want to know the cost of the batteries that drive the electric motor in that Prius. Not the one that starts the gas engine..mb
Posted By: jackmountain Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/11/22
We’ve owned 6. Currently an ‘18 cruiser, ‘14 tundra limited and an ‘03 Tacoma crew TRD. If it wasn’t for the work trucks and dump trucks, I’d see no reason to buy anything else.
Still want to know the cost of the batteries that drive the electric motor in that Prius. Not the one that starts the gas engine..mb

The ignition battery actually starts the systems... more than "starting the car" kinda thing.

But to answer your question specifically... No idea... they haven't ever gone bad.

I guess I could Google it, but so could you.

They come with some crazy long warranty anyway.
Posted By: himmelrr Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/11/22

My wife has a Lexus RX450H Hybrid and has very similar battery as the Prius. My Lexus has 180K miles and is going on year 12 of the original battery. It is still cruising along just fine. In my research for a replacement hybrid battery, there are a couple options. One is to have the battery refurbished and just have individual cells replaced. This is not always possible though. The other is a complete replacement. The cost of this runs $4000 or so installed.
Posted By: BWalker Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/11/22
I've had 3 Tacoma that were rock solid. Got as high as 243,000 on one...probably could have drove them all further, but worried I'd have to replace exhaust system and shocks...LOL

Pondering a Dodge Ram for next truck.
I have a 2012 Taco that I have absolutely pounded On for 200k miles. I've replaced a serpentine belt, 1 set of brakes and a AC compressor clutch. That's it.
Posted By: Mackay_Sagebrush Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/11/22
It is not fast, or fancy, but it just keeps going and going.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: ltppowell Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/12/22
Most of our members think China and Japan are the same place.
Posted By: Japlvr Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/12/22

Which one?

Tone Loc "Wild Thing"
Posted By: jackmountain Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/12/22
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

And appreciating in value every day you own it!
Posted By: Slowtrollr Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/12/22

Love the wagons…
Originally Posted by ltppowell

When I was 18, (32 years ago) an old WWII vet damn near whipped my ass for driving a Mitsubishi (dodge D50) because Mitsubishi apparently made the zero aircraft the kamikazis flew into Pearl Harbor. I had no idea it wasn’t made by dodge at that time. Dude was hot!
Posted By: GAGoober Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/12/22
My 2004 SR5 4x4 TRD Off-road 5 Spd Manual Ext Cab baby goes anywhere. It is only used for H&F. Believe it or not only 70K miles. Yes it proudly wears its “Toyota Rash.”
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/12/22

I trust some Toyota's. Some not so much. As for buying new, no I tried that and got the run around when a new Tacoma went tits up. Boy was that an ordeal, but sure got the run around for a few months until threatening with a lawyer. Toyota usually does not stand behind their product very well. No rental cars, no hotel rooms, you are pretty much on your own. I do trust some Toyota vehicles though. They are made well and last a long time typically. The old ones like your landcruiser were very dependable. The first Toyota pu I had was an 83 4x4 SR5 and it was tricked out when I got it. Lockers, header, webber/offenhouser. It ran well and was damn reliable. I prefer Honda cars over toyota cars though, but Toyota for pickups and utility vehicles. This one does very well and it is 22 years old. I perform all maintenance on it:

The power to weight ratio is just right on this one. Not like the generation after this one. Those are fn gargabe. Small v8 in a big heavy pickup just does not make any sense. Trust me, this one is getting ready for the work it's going to have to do this winter...
Working on my shooting lane off the beaten path.
Posted By: GRIZZ Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/12/22
Originally Posted by jackmountain

When I was 18, (32 years ago) an old WWII vet damn near whipped my ass for driving a Mitsubishi (dodge D50) because Mitsubishi apparently made the zero aircraft the kamikazis flew into Pearl Harbor. I had no idea it wasn’t made by dodge at that time. Dude was hot!

Awe them fuggen Japs vever had an original idea...I'll stick with my Chevy HD
Posted By: Timbermaster Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/12/22
My 09 Tacoma is about to roll 300k. It has been a very dependable vehicle that has been pushed pretty hard.
Posted By: org_Rogue_Hunter Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/12/22
Toyota Rash??
Originally Posted by GAGoober
My 2004 SR5 4x4 TRD Off-road 5 Spd Manual Ext Cab baby goes anywhere. It is only used for H&F. Believe it or not only 70K miles. Yes it proudly wears its “Toyota Rash.”
Posted By: Ben_Lurkin Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/12/22

LOL. My gramps was the same way. Can’t blame the old guy. If I had been strafed by them several times; I would not have been a fan either. He did manage to shoot one down one tho so there’s that.
Posted By: Teal Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/12/22
Toyota Rash??

Peeling roof paint?
That’s right. Clear coat peeling. Quite common. Too bad they never recalled it.
Posted By: add Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/12/22
Those first gen Tundras can not be beat for what they were.

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

The power to weight ratio is just right on this one. Not like the generation after this one. Those are fn gargabe. Small v8 in a big heavy pickup just does not make any sense. Trust me, this one is getting ready for the work it's going to have to do this winter...
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/12/22
My 2013 Tundra was one of the best cars I ever owned. Finally sold it and bought a truck.
1st gen tundra’s are legend. So are 1st gen tacomas like mine.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/12/22
Legendary 4 wheel drive golf carts.
Posted By: LBP Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/12/22
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I trust some Toyota's. Some not so much. As for buying new, no I tried that and got the run around when a new Tacoma went tits up. Boy was that an ordeal, but sure got the run around for a few months until threatening with a lawyer. Toyota usually does not stand behind their product very well. No rental cars, no hotel rooms, you are pretty much on your own. I do trust some Toyota vehicles though. They are made well and last a long time typically. The old ones like your landcruiser were very dependable. The first Toyota pu I had was an 83 4x4 SR5 and it was tricked out when I got it. Lockers, header, webber/offenhouser. It ran well and was damn reliable. I prefer Honda cars over toyota cars though, but Toyota for pickups and utility vehicles. This one does very well and it is 22 years old. I perform all maintenance on it:

Nice truck, I love the first gen tundras.
Posted By: steveredd1 Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/12/22
I live my tundra but I hate the toyota service dept
Posted By: pal Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/12/22
Originally Posted by add
Those first gen Tundras can not be beat for what they were...

My first-year (2000) Tundra. V-8 4x4 with 124,000 miles.

Posted By: Burleyboy Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/12/22
The tundra should be the best. When you build the same thing for almost 15 years without a redesign it should do pretty well.

Bb
Posted By: Valsdad Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/12/22
Originally Posted by Dutch

It's a unibody trucklet, more like the Ridgeline than the Brat. Ford offers them with tow options and "off road" (i.e. off pavement) packages, but skid plates make sense even running gravel roads. They sold out in 7 days for the 2023 model last month, and they go for an average premium of 18% over sticker if you find one on a lot somewhere. They make a lot of sense for a parts runner or delivery outfit, especially with the hybrid rated at 40 mpg city. The 2L gas motor is rated 28 HWY w. the AWD.

Thanks Dutch. I've never looked into the Ridgeline. Always figured that was a real truck. And didn't know Ford was making a unibody one either.

Lotta folks make fun of Subarus. Most don't know the 4WD wagons were originally designed as "all road" vehicles, not off road vehicle. And I sure took the ones I had on a lot of sketchy looking "roads".

I bet the new Toyota thing will serve just fine for its intended purposes.
Originally Posted by Japlvr

Which one?

Tone Loc "Wild Thing"
Gracias

Best friend's dad came out and looked at his Chevy LUV when he had the hood up.

Saw the Made by Izuzu plate in there and about came unglued. Said those "Jap mo-fos put me in the water in the Pacific and tried to kill me, now they're going after you"
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/12/22
Working on my shooting lane off the beaten path.

I miss my 2004 Tacoma double cab TRD:

But the 2000 Tundra gets better gas mileage, has more room and runs better. The taco was better on goat trails though.
Posted By: KFWA Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/12/22
I'd be interested in buying a $20Kish Toyota truckish vehicle similar to the Maverick. At this point my towing is limited to a jon boat and mowers on a 5X8 trailer.

Demand for them will be thru the roof though so they won't be $20K. By the time you get a loaded one off the lot it will be $38K
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/12/22
Originally Posted by Raeford
Think Fuel Cell... eg: The hoslers at Port of Los Angeles...
Posted By: tikkanut Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/12/22
1st gen tundra’s are legend. So are 1st gen tacomas like mine.

I truely miss my '98 Taco truck

Was called 'Jack's truck' as per my Golden retriever Jack (pic 1)

Sold it in '17 after driving for 12 trouble free years

Bought my 2nd gen '14 Taco DC SB V6 manual...'nother good one...but gone now too

Replaced the '14 with the clean 2 owner AZ native '03 LX Cruiser w/190K miles

I'm a 'Yoda guy forever

Posted By: ruffcutt Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/12/22
I’m going to keep my first Gen tundras as long as possible. With the limited electronics compared to newer vehicles, I consider that a plus. The only downside is parts pricing, Toyota is pretty proud of their parts.
Posted By: ribka Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/12/22
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
My 2013 Tundra was one of the best cars I ever owned. Finally sold it and bought a truck.

it does take a good 4x4 truck to pick up a few 2x4's from Home Depot
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
I’m going to keep my first Gen tundras as long as possible. With the limited electronics compared to newer vehicles, I consider that a plus. The only downside is parts pricing, Toyota is pretty proud of their parts.

Just a thought......what I do....I use these guys in PHX AZ

Cross reference/search Toyota OEM part numbers here...see if they stock/carry it

Have recently done it for parts for my '01 LC

Free fast shipping/no tax........they're GTG !

https://parts.belllexusnorthscottsdale.com/Lexus_2003_LX-470.html
Posted By: ruffcutt Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/12/22
Thanks, I’ll give them a try.
Posted By: Japlvr Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/12/22
Originally Posted by Japlvr

Which one?

Tone Loc "Wild Thing"
Gracias

You are Welcome!
Posted By: T_O_M Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/12/22
I trust Toyota...

I did but no longer do. My 2014 Tacoma has two problems they cannot fix.

First, there's a design problem. Driven hard in corners, there's enough body roll to trip the sensor and lock the breaks which nearly creates the rollover situation it thinks it is detecting. The shop manager's Tundra has exactly the same problem. Swapping in a new one does not fix the problem, it's a part design problem, not a part failure problem. Can't be fixed. I've had it throw me off of the road into the ditch twice and nearly wreck me on the freeway a few times.

Second, there's a bad "flapping" wind noise which occurs at higher temperature. They have not been able to locate it because the dealership mechanics go off shift before the temperature rises to where the problem occurs. They've been chasing it off and on for 4 years. Doesn't happen in winter, only in the depth of summer ... 105 degrees and up. My best guess is some rubbery/plasticy part becomes soft enough to flap in the wind when high speed air crosses it. If I drop down to around 60 on the interstate, then I can mostly manage it but that renders the truck almost useless.

Tom
Posted By: BWalker Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/12/22
Originally Posted by GRIZZ

Awe them fuggen Japs vever had an original idea...I'll stick with my Chevy HD
GM makes nothing but garbage and has for years.
Posted By: himmelrr Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/12/22
TOM, first of all, you are not supposed to drive a truck hard into corners, just like you would not take a Corvette off roading. I just had to get that off my chest. Have you tried changing to Biltstein or some other stiffer shock and or springs to see if that fixes the issue. To be honest, I do not know of a body roll sensor on a Tacoma. Is it part of the ABS or Traction Control?

The flapping issue may be something simple. I have had friends have all kinds of parts thrown at a similar issue on earlier Tacomas, Tundras and Sequoias. I eventually found it. There is a gasket on the firewall for the steering shaft. IIRC it is called a coupling shield or something similar. The rubber gets old, brittle and will make a flapping noise especially when hot. Feel down in there to see if the rubber is gone.
Posted By: BWalker Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/12/22
Never had either issue with my Taco snd I tend to barrel into corners.
Posted By: Huntz Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/12/22
Any Truck that does not have a full frame,limited slip diff.,Hi and Lo transfer case is a piece of schit no matter what it gets for mileage .You either want a grocery getter or a real 4X4.Brand does not matter.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/12/22
I get a kick out of the 'badass' Toyota's all built up with color coordinated off road accessories. Never been stuck or to hell and back but by God they're a tough sumbitchin' pickup.....lol

Shinier than chit and rarely see anything other than pavement. Flat brim beard bro all decked out in spotless KUIU or whatever chit. See a few of them in town now that it's hunting season.

Meanwhile the WORK gets done in a POS Ford or Chevy.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/12/22
Originally Posted by T_O_M
I trust Toyota...

I did but no longer do. My 2014 Tacoma has two problems they cannot fix.

First, there's a design problem. Driven hard in corners, there's enough body roll to trip the sensor and lock the breaks which nearly creates the rollover situation it thinks it is detecting. The shop manager's Tundra has exactly the same problem. Swapping in a new one does not fix the problem, it's a part design problem, not a part failure problem. Can't be fixed. I've had it throw me off of the road into the ditch twice and nearly wreck me on the freeway a few times.

Second, there's a bad "flapping" wind noise which occurs at higher temperature. They have not been able to locate it because the dealership mechanics go off shift before the temperature rises to where the problem occurs. They've been chasing it off and on for 4 years. Doesn't happen in winter, only in the depth of summer ... 105 degrees and up. My best guess is some rubbery/plasticy part becomes soft enough to flap in the wind when high speed air crosses it. If I drop down to around 60 on the interstate, then I can mostly manage it but that renders the truck almost useless.

Tom
Your first issue sounds like a problem with the yaw sensor. In lifted Tundras, the yaw sensor had to be re-calibrated or shimmed to fool it, making it believe the vehicle stance was unaltered.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/12/22
My last one, a 2014 Tundra 4x4 crew, had the nav/entertainment system go out twice before 50k. Had a cold start valve go out in the same timeframe. It was far from bulletproof.
Posted By: pal Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/12/22
Originally Posted by T_O_M
...I've had it throw me off of the road into the ditch twice and nearly wreck me on the freeway a few times...

Sounds like you need to adjust your driving habits to the vehicle you're driving.
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I get a kick out of the 'badass' Toyota's all built up with color coordinated off road accessories. Never been stuck or to hell and back but by God they're a tough sumbitchin' pickup.....lol

Shinier than chit and rarely see anything other than pavement. Flat brim beard bro all decked out in spotless KUIU or whatever chit. See a few of them in town now that it's hunting season.

Sam

never mud mud in Utah.........

Only dust
Posted By: Mackay_Sagebrush Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/13/22
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Yeah

I can't say that.

Of course I don't have all the right accessories. Or a flat brimmed Bro hat.

But I do know mud.

And waiting for the traffic jam to clear:

Posted By: devnull Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/13/22
Toyota fan here. Just bought a new '22 Highlander today with that last of the V6s. Do NOT want a '23 Highlander with a 4-cyl turbo. This is our third Highlander. Still have second one with 181K on the Odo. Was thinking about a Tundra to replace my '06 Duramax unitl the got rid of the V8. No Tundra for me now.
Posted By: Buzz Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/13/22
We have a 2019 Highlander (hers). It hasn't been great, a surprising number of recalls and two unscheduled breakdowns. We are still happy with it but have been spoiled with largely trouble free cars over the years. I have an 8 year old GM truck - been fine, one issue with a condenser. Plenty of friends have Toyota trucks. Franky, they don't seem to be any better or worse than anything out there. "Pops" 99 GMC will probably turn over 600k by end of the year.

I'm not sure I'd trust any vehicle made after 2020 - they all seem to be suffering frown
Posted By: rcamuglia Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/13/22
Originally Posted by Buzz
We have a 2019 Highlander (hers). It hasn't been great, a surprising number of recalls and two unscheduled breakdowns. frown

That sucks

Hopefully the scheduled breakdowns are staying on schedule
Posted By: Houston_2 Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/13/22
Swapped my 2019 tundra for a 2021 f-150 4x4 with the 5.0.

Very happy with the new Ford. One year old yesterday and 23,000 miles, no problems yet. Over 20 mpg tank to tank and it’ll haul tail. 10 speed tranny. Pulls my tractor well.

Glad I made the swap when I did, so far.
Posted By: Buzz Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/13/22
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
We have a 2019 Highlander (hers). It hasn't been great, a surprising number of recalls and two unscheduled breakdowns. frown

That sucks

Hhaha - perhaps a better term would have been unexpected service visits.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/13/22
Still kick myself.......

In '89 bought a new 4Runner off the showroom floor...$13K

Right next to it was a new Land Cruiser......$20K

Like a dumm azz.......bought the 4R

Prob still have the LC today if I'd bought it..............):
Posted By: Mackay_Sagebrush Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/13/22
Posted By: steveredd1 Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/14/22
there sales dept sucks too
Posted By: rcamuglia Re: I trust Toyota! - 10/14/22
Originally Posted by rcamuglia

That sucks

Hhaha - perhaps a better term would have been unexpected service visits.

😂😂😂
© 24hourcampfire