Home
Posted By: worriedman Hot off the press - 10/16/22
First loaded round for the grand son's Grendel, 100 gr. Partition, we will get sighted in next week, raining right now (which we need badly)!
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Hot off the press - 10/16/22
Seems like it’s getting extremely popular for a kids first rifle. Good luck to you guys.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Hot off the press - 10/16/22
Looks good!

What rifle is he using?
Posted By: TheLastLemming76 Re: Hot off the press - 10/16/22
Looks good! My stepson shot his first deer during last falls September youth hunt with my CZ 527 in 6.5 Grendel with a factory 123 SST. I like that rifle and cartridge a lot.[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Hot off the press - 10/16/22
I like your confidence Sir, load one round and shoot it before loading another. 😁

The best of luck to your grandson.
Posted By: EFHutton Re: Hot off the press - 10/16/22
I was planning on shooting a group today also, maybe in a day or two.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Hot off the press - 10/16/22
That should work!
The Grendel is a sweet little round. I've banged steel out past 600 yards with mine.
Great CF round to start the young ones on.
Posted By: worriedman Re: Hot off the press - 10/16/22
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Looks good!

What rifle is he using?
Howa Mini, cut the plastic stock down to fit him, will get something else when he grows a bit.
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I like your confidence Sir, load one round and shoot it before loading another. 😁

The best of luck to your grandson.

He was coming down to finish up the online Hunter Safety Course and I wanted to have him a loaded round ready to paw. He helped me deprime, resize and clean the brass, but I wanted him to see a loaded round.

I got bullets in Friday (Thanks to Doc Holidude for turning me on to Grice) and have the cases ready to prime and load with him one afternoon this week. Will hit my range with him next weekend to sight in and start practicing.

Got him a Lifetime Hunting license the day he was born...
Posted By: TheLastLemming76 Re: Hot off the press - 10/16/22
That lifetime license is an awesome gift. They were offered here in MI years ago when I was a teenager. I didn’t have the money to buy one but it would have payed for itself several times over even with the limited hunting that I do.

I can’t imagine a better gift than that for a grandfather to buy his grandson.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Hot off the press - 10/16/22
Sounds like a great setup for a kid.

The lifetime hunting license is a wonderful gift for a newborn here in Tennessee. My kids have them, and if they ever have kids, they’ll get them as well.

Hopefully he’ll get a shot at a nice buck when juvenile season rolls around. There’s nothing more fun than seeing how excited a kid gets when shooting their first deer.
Posted By: rainshot Re: Hot off the press - 10/16/22
The lifetime hunting license is a great idea. The Grendel is great for young shooters.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Hot off the press - 10/16/22
Guns still shoot in the rain.
Originally Posted by Reloder28
I have a cover at the range, so rain is not an issue, but it was a lack of enough ammo. He had football games yesterday and I was off doing politics in Middle TN, so I will finish getting 10 rounds done and we will get zeroed and shoot for group, see if my seating depth is right and if this load groups well, then to load a bunch.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Hot off the press - 10/19/22
Originally Posted by worriedman
I have a cover at the range, so rain is not an issue, but it was a lack of enough ammo. He had football games yesterday and I was off doing politics in Middle TN, so I will finish getting 10 rounds done and we will get zeroed and shoot for group, see if my seating depth is right and if this load groups well, then to load a bunch.

I could tell you a story about seating depth. 🤨🤨
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Hot off the press - 10/19/22

I’d like to hear it.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Hot off the press - 10/19/22
That kid is fortunate! Good luck the both of you this season and beyond.
Posted By: MartinStrummer Re: Hot off the press - 10/19/22
An old gunsmith buddy of mine, rest his soul, had a guy call him about teaching his son to shoot.
When Mitch arrived at the range, a guy resembling a NFL defensive lineman was standing at the shooting bench. His son, a 13 year old weighing about a buck sat at the bench.
When Mitch walked up to the bench, the double-Y chromosome ape told the kid, "Shoot the gun."
The kid snugged up to the gun and pulled the trigger!
His cap flew off! The muzzle blast created a dust cloud that just kinda sat there in the still, east Texas air.
Mitch picked up the rifle.
Weatherby .300 Wby Mag.
Pop was taking son on his first Colorado mule deer hunt.

"First thing you have to do is get this kid a gun he can shoot." Mitch said.

The guy relented, bought the kid a .243 Win. Mitch worked with the kid about a month.
Kid killed a damned nice mulie!

I applaud you for getting a kid a caliber he can handle and is fully capable of taking deer.
Kudos!
May he hunt with it for many years!
Posted By: worriedman Re: Hot off the press - 10/19/22
Originally Posted by gregintenn

I’d like to hear it.
Me too, always up tp learn.
Posted By: steve4102 Re: Hot off the press - 10/19/22
What powder are you using?

I had by best luck with 2520
Posted By: worriedman Re: Hot off the press - 10/19/22
Originally Posted by steve4102
What powder are you using?

I had by best luck with 2520
Benchmark.
Posted By: msalm Re: Hot off the press - 10/19/22
I put a custom barreled Grendel Howa mini in an MDT chassis stock for my 7 yo son. With the M4 stock was able to get the LOP short enough for him to comfortably shoot the rifle. He shot his first deer with it two weeks ago. For ammo I used the Nosler 120gr Etip with a portion of the base parted off in the lathe for an 87gr copper expanding bullet at 2980fps. It did a great job on a broadside through the ribs shot with a lot of damage to the lungs and an excellent 60 yards blood trail.

Attached picture D0D38AF8-227E-4D70-A000-95777F09806A.jpeg
Attached picture 9D95CBA9-6464-4D61-B60F-26488C7156BC.jpeg
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Hot off the press - 10/20/22
Originally Posted by gregintenn

I’d like to hear it.
Me too, always up tp learn.

Bought a Sako 85 in 308. Bought new Lapua cases & headed to the range to fire form only. Dropped the powder charge which was limiting the bullet seating depth to less than I would like. So, I simply pushed the 155 Scenar in until it would not go anymore. I figured it didn't matter since I was only fire forming. First two rounds went into the same hole. So, I started measuring the OAL from there. Each subsequent round was a totally arbitrary seating depth. They kept going into the same hole. Seating depths ranged from jam to .010. They kept going in the same hole. These were virgin Lapua cases that were loaded straight from the box without running them thru the die. Velocity averages 2850 fps. As these loads rest in the case over the season the bullets creep out increasing the OAL. I have to carry a cleaning rod to knock the jammed bullet from the barrel after sticking in the lands and dumping the powder upon extraction. Not every one of them do that. Again, I just push the bullet down until it won't go anymore. Have not had the time to address the issue. Just keep whacking pigs & Deer. Never had a gun be so accurate while defying all of the common sense reloading rules.
Posted By: Castle_Rock Re: Hot off the press - 10/20/22
The scenars are not sensitive to seating depth, try that with ELDM s and it will be epic
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Hot off the press - 10/20/22
It is not just a good one for young kids but for older folks as well.

We have found the 120 grain to put the smack down on hogs real quick.

Factory rounds have been some good shooters,some good place to get brass to reload.

Hope he does well this year.
Posted By: Houston_2 Re: Hot off the press - 10/20/22
Well done, worriedman and a great gift for the youngster.
© 24hourcampfire