Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by steve4102
What powder are you using?

I had by best luck with 2520
Benchmark.

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.-Richard Henry Lee

Endowment Member NRA, Life Member SAF-GOA, Life-Board Member, West TN Director TFA

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I put a custom barreled Grendel Howa mini in an MDT chassis stock for my 7 yo son. With the M4 stock was able to get the LOP short enough for him to comfortably shoot the rifle. He shot his first deer with it two weeks ago. For ammo I used the Nosler 120gr Etip with a portion of the base parted off in the lathe for an 87gr copper expanding bullet at 2980fps. It did a great job on a broadside through the ribs shot with a lot of damage to the lungs and an excellent 60 yards blood trail.

Attached Images
Last edited by msalm; 10/19/22.

Shoot straight, shoot often
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by worriedman
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by worriedman
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Guns still shoot in the rain.
I have a cover at the range, so rain is not an issue, but it was a lack of enough ammo. He had football games yesterday and I was off doing politics in Middle TN, so I will finish getting 10 rounds done and we will get zeroed and shoot for group, see if my seating depth is right and if this load groups well, then to load a bunch.

I could tell you a story about seating depth. 🤨🤨
I’d like to hear it.
Me too, always up tp learn.

Bought a Sako 85 in 308. Bought new Lapua cases & headed to the range to fire form only. Dropped the powder charge which was limiting the bullet seating depth to less than I would like. So, I simply pushed the 155 Scenar in until it would not go anymore. I figured it didn't matter since I was only fire forming. First two rounds went into the same hole. So, I started measuring the OAL from there. Each subsequent round was a totally arbitrary seating depth. They kept going into the same hole. Seating depths ranged from jam to .010. They kept going in the same hole. These were virgin Lapua cases that were loaded straight from the box without running them thru the die. Velocity averages 2850 fps. As these loads rest in the case over the season the bullets creep out increasing the OAL. I have to carry a cleaning rod to knock the jammed bullet from the barrel after sticking in the lands and dumping the powder upon extraction. Not every one of them do that. Again, I just push the bullet down until it won't go anymore. Have not had the time to address the issue. Just keep whacking pigs & Deer. Never had a gun be so accurate while defying all of the common sense reloading rules.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The scenars are not sensitive to seating depth, try that with ELDM s and it will be epic

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
It is not just a good one for young kids but for older folks as well.

We have found the 120 grain to put the smack down on hogs real quick.

Factory rounds have been some good shooters,some good place to get brass to reload.

Hope he does well this year.

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Well done, worriedman and a great gift for the youngster.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

58 members (Akhutr, beefan, 358wsm, 2500HD, bosshoff, 13 invisible), 1,376 guests, and 767 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,924
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.