Home
Posted By: Teal For those that compete - 10/17/22
I've always loved watching the race gun guys on youtube - USPSA types. I used to be fairly serious at Trap and Sporting Clays.

I am not a comp guy - I can handle a 1911/G19 ok and shoot for fun. The various rules/classes seem confusing but it's Monday, I've had an uber crappy day and thought some conversation would be interesting. Not looking for a "XX is good, YY is crap" perspective - or should I say, just that.

Curious.

1. What do you compete in?
2. What do you compete with?
3. Generally how do you do?
4. Why do you shoot what you shoot in the disciple you've decided upon?
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: For those that compete - 10/17/22
I've done lots of competitive shooting sports.

PPC, CAS, Mounted CAS, Master Gunfighter competitions, open bullseye rifle and pistol, trap when younger, and used to hit the Turkey Shoot circuit quite a bit.. (You'd be surprised how many there are and how much prizes and cash you can get)

Used to do a wild west show, trick shooting off my horse. Got paid pretty well to do that, and stayed pretty booked up. That was fun. Wish I were that young and able again... wink

Only did a couple of hunting contests. First was the World Coyote contest and then a hog contest. Really didn't care too much for either... I think I'll stick to hunting for enjoyment only.

Won several titles in some the categories above, silver and gold buckles, cash, guns, turkeys, hams, ammo, and such.

Still enjoy shooting, but really would rather just shoot at my private range here at the ranch.
Posted By: deflave Re: For those that compete - 10/17/22
Originally Posted by Teal
I've always loved watching the race gun guys on youtube - USPSA types. I used to be fairly serious at Trap and Sporting Clays.

I am not a comp guy - I can handle a 1911/G19 ok and shoot for fun. The various rules/classes seem confusing but it's Monday, I've had an uber crappy day and thought some conversation would be interesting. Not looking for a "XX is good, YY is crap" perspective - or should I say, just that.

Curious.

Teal,

1.) I shoot USPSA but I used to shoot IDPA. I enjoy both but I prefer USPSA. To me it's a more straight forward sport and I'm more interested in shooting as fast as possible as opposed to trying to implement tactics or be preached to about retention of rounds, etc. But I should add that I have the option of both. If IDPA were all I had I would happily participate.

2.) I use a G34 with Trijicon SRO and shoot the Carry Optics Division primarily. But I will also run a G17 with irons and shoot Limited on occasion.

3.) Locally I do well but if I attend larger matches I start getting my ass kicked by the guys that truly compete at state, regional, and national type matches.

4.) I carry Glocks so I want to be good with Glocks. I attempted slide mounted optics when I lived in Montana but that area simply did not afford the opportunity to compete regularly so I had no barometer to determine where I should be at when running an optic alongside a variety of skill levels. I highly recommend all serious handgunners start running optics. They're massive game changers. Staying with Glocks also allows me to use the same rig and have the same familiarity with my EDC (if I want to shoot it at a match) a G17 if I want to shoot Limited, my G34 if I'm shooting Carry Optics, and my G44 if I shoot a rimfire Steel Challenge even though you don't need a holster to shoot Rimfire Steel Challenge. Belts, holsters, and mag carriers are expensive. So are magazines. Commonality is good IMO.

I absolutely love shooting USPSA and IDPA matches. It was one of the things I missed most when living in Montana even though that part of Montana afforded an almost limitless amount of shooting and hunting. But I'm thrilled to compete regularly again. COVID and Joe Fugk Face have caused hiccups but things are slowly getting closer to normal again.

I also shoot three gun matches but only about once a month. My primary reason for shooting these is familiarity with shoot-people-type-shotguns which is something I don't tend to do a lot of. I love shooting Steel Challenge as well, but not as much as regular USPSA. I usually do decent at both of these.
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: For those that compete - 10/17/22
I used to shoot USPSA/IPSC a lot, about three times a week, 50 weeks a year, for 20 years or so. I shot a compensated Colt .45 GM, but quit when the optics started taking over. My best finish was 5th C at the '89 Nationals, but that got me kicked up into B class, so I competed there for a couple more years, until other interests took over (and I got burned out). It was a lot of fun, and I met a LOT of good people in the process.

Locally, and regionally, I did pretty well over the years, but it also took a lot out of me, as I was an NROI certified range officer and spent a lot of time designing or running matches, in addition to competing. I was spending ALL my free time messing with IPSC, and just burned out. My USPSA number was A-2630, I was into it early-on, and saw things go from real carry guns into the raceguns folks use today. I played along for a good long while, but when optics started taking over, I bowed out because the optics being used were not "practical" in an everyday-useage sense.
It's different now, the smaller optics and better batteries have changed all that, but I haven't gotten back into it.

I still love my 1911s, and always will, but I'll never switch over to optics. They just ain't "me".
Posted By: 79S Re: For those that compete - 10/17/22
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
I used to shoot USPSA/IPSC a lot, about three times a week, 50 weeks a year, for 20 years or so. I shot a compensated Colt .45 GM, but quit when the optics started taking over. My best finish was 5th C at the '89 Nationals, but that got me kicked up into B class, so I competed there for a couple more years, until other interests took over (and I got burned out). It was a lot of fun, and I met a LOT of good people in the process.

Locally, and regionally, I did pretty well over the years, but it also took a lot out of me, as I was an NROI certified range officer and spent a lot of time designing or running matches, in addition to competing. I was spending ALL my free time messing with IPSC, and just burned out. My USPSA number was A-2630, I was into it early-on, and saw things go from real carry guns into the raceguns folks use today. I played along for a good long while, but when optics started taking over, I bowed out because the optics being used were not "practical" in an everyday-useage sense.
It's different now, the smaller optics and better batteries have changed all that, but I haven't gotten back into it.

I still love my 1911s, and always will, but I'll never switch over to optics. They just ain't "me".

Huh??? Alaska state troopers from the rumor mill are pushing to be allowed to have optics on their pistols. Also word is they are going back to the Glock 17's.
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: For those that compete - 10/17/22
Originally Posted by 79S

Huh??? Alaska state troopers from the rumor mill are pushing to be allowed to have optics on their pistols. Also word is they are going back to the Glock 17's.

No "Huh" to it, READ what I wrote, ALL of it. Devote some time to reading comprehension on the second paragraph. That was over 30 years ago, too, Tasco Pro Point IIs were the hot ticket back then. Today, things are different, as I wrote.
Posted By: 79S Re: For those that compete - 10/17/22
Originally Posted by 79S

No "Huh" to it, READ what I wrote, ALL of it. Devote some time to reading comprehension on the second paragraph. That was over 30 years ago, too, Tasco Pro Point IIs were the hot ticket back then. Today, things are different, as I wrote.

But I can't read... cry I did read it and you are still stuck on everybody should be shooting a 1911 and damn you to hell if you use optic because I don't.. Go buy a Glock 34 and optic I bet you case of metamucil you would have the time of your life and go golly gees I been missing out..
Posted By: Mr_TooDogs Re: For those that compete - 10/17/22
Used to shoot state f-class tr mid & long range, midwest regional, shot f-class national once when Lodi hosted it. Was a hoot shooting with and rubbing elbows with some of the big names in the sport.

These days it's all local gun club just for fun 22 rimfire steel silhouette, 5 stand clays, sporting clays, trap now and then. Haven't shot the clubs bullseye league in years. That was fun too.
Posted By: EdM Re: For those that compete - 10/18/22
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I've done lots of competitive shooting sports.

PPC, CAS, Mounted CAS, Master Gunfighter competitions, open bullseye rifle and pistol, trap when younger, and used to hit the Turkey Shoot circuit quite a bit.. (You'd be surprised how many there are and how much prizes and cash you can get)

Used to do a wild west show, trick shooting off my horse. Got paid pretty well to do that, and stayed pretty booked up. That was fun. Wish I were that young and able again... wink

Only did a couple of hunting contests. First was the World Coyote contest and then a hog contest. Really didn't care too much for either... I think I'll stick to hunting for enjoyment only.

Won several titles in some the categories above, silver and gold buckles, cash, guns, turkeys, hams, ammo, and such.

Still enjoy shooting, but really would rather just shoot at my private range here at the ranch.

Resident "quiet" badazz.
Posted By: EdM Re: For those that compete - 10/18/22
I was pretty active in bowling pin shoots while in college in SLO California. The recently deceased Aaron Hogue was a fellow competitor and FFL for my two pin guns.
Posted By: blanket Re: For those that compete - 10/18/22
Shot NRA small bore 3 and 4 position, air rifle, highpower, indoor and outdoor handgun, trap, USPSA, PPC, CBAS, was an NRA instructor in rifle, pistol, and shotgun, A USPSA range officer.So yes I have competed forgot outdoor prone
Posted By: Jim270 Re: For those that compete - 10/18/22
I shot Small Bore and High Power Rifle Silhouette for over 20 years. Az, Calif, NM, Texas, Colorado, PA, and MO. Generally didn't do to well at the Nationals, but I took my class in HP HR in 2000. Shot a Regional in MO 9 times, took 1 second and 7 3rd places, I won 6 State Championships, 1 SB and 5 HP. Combined I have enough 2nds and thirds to make Phil Mickelson proud.

Now I play with a shotgun, sporting clays, super sporting and 5 stand. D class with 4 punches. Don't travel with this, just started this past Feb.
Posted By: Nestucca Re: For those that compete - 10/18/22
Damn Flave nice write up.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: For those that compete - 10/18/22

Curious.

Competition requires the ability to concentrate and the desire to better other people.

I have neither.

I'm a pretty good trick shooter.
Now, just doing some NSCA events.

Have shot a few PRS matches, but it's been a while.

Have always thought I'd do three gun one of these years.
Posted By: Mike70560 Re: For those that compete - 10/18/22

NRA/CMP High Power Rifle

AR-15
Current barrels are Bartlein from CLE
Geissele MK 7 rail, trigger, and scope mount
March 1-4.5 scope

Ok for club matches
Earned my Distinguished Rifleman’s badge at the Texas state high power championship this year
Master classification from CMP and NRA
Broke 490 in a match this year, which was one of my goals.

We get to wear heavy shooting coats in the middle of the summer and if you win you get little or no prize money

Texas Service Rifle championship is in two weeks, last chance to shine this year.
Posted By: Craigster Re: For those that compete - 10/18/22
Rimfire Bench Rest
Cast bullet Bench Rest

Usually do quite well in the rimfire version.

Win or lose, scores are listed in the club newsletter.

No prizes, just for fun.
Posted By: 79S Re: For those that compete - 10/18/22
I won a potatoe sack race one time…..
Posted By: mathman Re: For those that compete - 10/18/22
I used to shoot IHMSA silhouette with a Dan Wesson 357 magnum. I didn't win any matches but I had a good time.
Posted By: JefeMojado Re: For those that compete - 10/18/22
Got bit by the bug in 1977, shot my first what was then called Combat pistol match, using a S&W M39. Year or two later moved to a 1911 and started shooting IPSC.
Attended the World Speed Shooting Championship "Steel Challenge " in 1984 and 1985.
Dropped out of IPSC style shooting in 1992, just couldn't keep pace with equipment race and took up revolver shooting, thinking what more can you do to a revolver except tune the action? Man I was wrong there, but have stuck with it to this day.
Still run the revolver I had Frank Glenn build in 1992, S&W M14, heavy barrel and still wears the Tasco Pro Point I put on it.
Now days I shoot Steel Challenge and NRA action pistol matches, Steel Challenge each run is only 5 hits, and NRA action pistol stages have reloads after each six shots thru a stage. I'm good to go as long as I don't miss, or just miss once.
Not as good as when I was a young man, but who is? I usually place in the top five at local matches,so I can still run with the young hot hands, and they get a kick out of the old fart with a six shot revolver keeping them honest.
93 and 94 placed in top 10 in the world at the International Revolver Championships, that was the best I was.. all down hill from there, but still love shooting, and enjoy being around other shooters.
1. What do you compete in? Initially NRA Mid-range AR tactical class. My daughter was interested so she does it as well. I shoot NRA /CMP HIGHPOWER as well, as well as NRA LR my daughter shoots that as well

2. What do you compete with? AR tactical initially for me AR15 in a 223 wylde all PSA made, only decent thing about it was my scope a 10x SWFA. I dumped the barrel, went with a green mtn barrel, better trigger larue mbt and switched to a A2 stock. My scores improved tremendously. Following year daughter wanted to shoot, so I put an AR15 together ARP 224 Valkyrie barrel specifically setup to shoot 80gr eld-m. I built one for myself as well, can no longer get those ARP barrels chambered in 224 Valkyrie.

3. Generally how do you do? My daughter made master first year AR tactical, I’m a expert. Service rifle I’m not so great I’m mr 412 lol. I did get a new barrel recently and I have high hopes this barrel will get me into the 430-440’s. For LR my daughter shoots f class rifle I shoot an AR15 in 223.

4. Why do you shoot what you shoot in the disciple you've decided upon? It’s fun and something to do, my daughter really enjoys it.
Posted By: pullit Re: For those that compete - 10/18/22
I have competed in NSSA Skeet and NSCA Sporting clay, ATA trap (very little). ARA Rimfire, NAA archery, NFAA archery, and a very little pistol (don't recall but I think it was ISPC) Lately I have been shooting rimfire matches

In Skeet, Trap, and Sporting Clays, I used Browning, Beretta, Blaser, Remington, and maybe another one or two before settling in on Krieghoff. In Archery, I used Martin, Hoyt, and others, but when I quit I was shooting PSE. In Pistol, I shot a Nowlin 1911. In rimfire, I use either a CZ or a Remington 40X

How did I do? In skeet (before I quit) I make the state skeet team and was AAA in everything but 410 and was AA in that. Trap was not my thing and I might have made it to C class before moving to Sporting Clay where I made it to B class.
In Archery, years ago I won the state in BHFS indoors and several local matches. I dropped out of archery to shoot shotguns, and then about 6 years ago when back to shooting archery. When I cam back, I won the state indoors NFAA FS division (in the old guy class) as well as the state NFAA Outdoor Field. Also placed second in the state senior Olympics (in my aged division) In pistol, I was the one that made everyone else look good....lol
In Rimfire (this is my first year to do that) I one the league shoot at the club I shoot at in Factory class

Why did I shoot? I started out in archery to be a better bow hunter, and fell down the rabbit hole. Shotgun was a lot like archery, I stated shooting to be a better wing shot for dove and duck. Pistol, well that one still has me wondering "what I was thinking"..lol

I still enjoy shooting but don't feel the need to compete like I once did. I would rather go and shoot skeet, trap or sporting with some friends and have a good time than to compete like I once did.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: For those that compete - 10/18/22
Originally Posted by ltppowell

Curious.

Competition requires the ability to concentrate and the desire to better other people.

I have neither.

Don't forget it is an Åsshole magnifier.

Shot sporting clays as a fun time with friends. Kept score, tried to
improve. Knew who was better/less so. A few were quite good
the guys wo don't keep score, just count "drops".

Only completion was Pasture Rimfire.
Swingers, offhand, 5 targets and a sudden death tiebreaker.
25 cents per round. Usually 10 rounds 5-10 guys.
Fun times, trying to improve skills.
Had 2 competitors. Bought the tools, shot the ammo. Never built the skills.
Was fun watching them!!!

My goal was to never leave with less quarters than I brought.
Never did. That was good enough.

I lied.

Shot some Turkey shoots too.
Used my turkey gun. Had fun with a few friends, won a bit of stuff.
A weapons race, gotta spend the money to do well.
But luck plays a big role. So anyone can win occasionally.

Was a weird deal.
Open shoots I got hammered. Using a hunting gun.

"Hunting Gun" shoots my gun was banned. A .665 choke was too tight!
Well then there is Big Stick, claims his shooting off his hind legs is Rightly Legendary and that he's a Legendary Rifleman, but can't come up with any kind of classification, match report, or a single trophy!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Originally Posted by Jim270
Well then there is Big Stick, claims his shooting off his hind legs is Rightly Legendary and that he's a Legendary Rifleman, but can't come up with any kind of classification, match report, or a single trophy!

I noticed since partaking in some 1000yd matches the so called long range shooters are absent. Don’t know if it’s because they find it boring or are scared to really see how well that rifle shoots. It’s one thing shooting Steel the size of truck hoods and calling all shots hits good. Versus a MOA target at a 1k (if you shoot f class) not say anything wrong with shooting steel size of a truck hood. But I find it funny when they say yeah was shooting steel out 1300 today ok show us some pictures of the group you shot???
Posted By: Teal Re: For those that compete - 10/18/22

I've seen Masters level Sporting Clays guys miss ducks at 20 yards. Repeatedly. I take "classification" with a grain of salt, especially when it comes to shooting critters. Constant harping on it "Post your load!" JeffO style doesn't prove a point to anyone.

There's a difference between being able to shoot critters in adverse conditions and from dynamic positions than "standing in the box" and plugging away at known distances/target presentations.

YMMV
I've seen Masters level Sporting Clays guys miss ducks at 20 yards. Repeatedly. I take "classification" with a grain of salt, especially when it comes to shooting critters. Constant harping on it "Post your load!" JeffO style doesn't prove a point to anyone.

There's a difference between being able to shoot critters in adverse conditions and from dynamic positions than "standing in the box" and plugging away at known distances/target presentations.

YMMV[/quote]

Apparently you missed the silhouette thread in the Competive Shooting section.
Posted By: ribka Re: For those that compete - 10/18/22
I might have competed against you. This was 10 years ago

Originally Posted by deflave

Curious.

Teal,

1.) I shoot USPSA but I used to shoot IDPA. I enjoy both but I prefer USPSA. To me it's a more straight forward sport and I'm more interested in shooting as fast as possible as opposed to trying to implement tactics or be preached to about retention of rounds, etc. But I should add that I have the option of both. If IDPA were all I had I would happily participate.

2.) I use a G34 with Trijicon SRO and shoot the Carry Optics Division primarily. But I will also run a G17 with irons and shoot Limited on occasion.

3.) Locally I do well but if I attend larger matches I start getting my ass kicked by the guys that truly compete at state, regional, and national type matches.

4.) I carry Glocks so I want to be good with Glocks. I attempted slide mounted optics when I lived in Montana but that area simply did not afford the opportunity to compete regularly so I had no barometer to determine where I should be at when running an optic alongside a variety of skill levels. I highly recommend all serious handgunners start running optics. They're massive game changers. Staying with Glocks also allows me to use the same rig and have the same familiarity with my EDC (if I want to shoot it at a match) a G17 if I want to shoot Limited, my G34 if I'm shooting Carry Optics, and my G44 if I shoot a rimfire Steel Challenge even though you don't need a holster to shoot Rimfire Steel Challenge. Belts, holsters, and mag carriers are expensive. So are magazines. Commonality is good IMO.

I absolutely love shooting USPSA and IDPA matches. It was one of the things I missed most when living in Montana even though that part of Montana afforded an almost limitless amount of shooting and hunting. But I'm thrilled to compete regularly again. COVID and Joe Fugk Face have caused hiccups but things are slowly getting closer to normal again.

I also shoot three gun matches but only about once a month. My primary reason for shooting these is familiarity with shoot-people-type-shotguns which is something I don't tend to do a lot of. I love shooting Steel Challenge as well, but not as much as regular USPSA. I usually do decent at both of these.

YMMV

I seen plenty of non master sporting clay guys miss ducks at 20yds. Afterwards you go wtf as you and partner sit their dumbfounded.
I remember one time at a golf tournament, Jack Nicklaus needed to sink a foot and a half put to win the marbles. He missed and afterwards the commentator ask him how could you miss such an easy put? Jack said the same way you could!
Posted By: rcamuglia Re: For those that compete - 10/18/22
Shotgun

2005 NSCA National Championship Browning All-Around Champion
2005 NSCA National Championship Krieghoff Cup Champion
2005 NSCA National Championship FITASC Champion
2001 NSCA National Championship Runner Up
2006 Pan American FITASC Champion (World Cup)
2006 World FITASC 14th
2007 NSCA National FITASC Champion
2003 NSCA National Championship Krieghoff Cup Runner Up
2005 NSCA US Open 3RD
2005 NSCA US Open FITASC Runner Up
2007 Texas State Sporting Clays Championship Runner Up
2005 World Sporting Clays Championship FITASC Runner Up
2004 Browning/Briley Runner Up
2002 Midwest FITASC Champion
2003 Midwest FITASC Champion
2007 NSCA National Championship FITASC 3rd
2007 Mile High Classic Champion
2007 Zone 7 FITASC Champion
4-Time Team USA Member, 3 Team Silver, 1 Team Gold
9-Time New Mexico State Champion
3-Time Arizona State Shoot Champion
2-Time Colorado State Shoot Champion
8-Time NSCA All-American

Rifle

7/2010 Whittington Sporting Rifle Match Champion with Course Record Matching 58
2013 Steel Safari Runner Up
2014 Steel Safari Champion
2015 Steel Safari 7th
2016 Steel Safari 6th
Two top 20 finishes at Sniper's Hide Cup
Top 10 finish at 2015 NMPRC PRS Match
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Shotgun

2006 World FITASC 14th
2005 NSCA US Open 3RD
8-Time NSCA All-American

Rifle

2015 Steel Safari 7th
2016 Steel Safari 6th

I'd say you know your way around a shotgun! Congratulations on your excellent shooting!
Posted By: rcamuglia Re: For those that compete - 10/18/22
I'd say you know your way around a shotgun! Congratulations on your excellent shooting!

Thank you Jim! Lots of dedication and hard work
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: For those that compete - 10/18/22

Impressive indeed!

But I disagree with it being ONLY dedication and hard work. It takes a natural talent or ability, skill, whatever you want to call it, as well.

It's never good to get "rusty". You can't when competing. But natural ability allows someone to out shoot 95% of others, even when you don't practice a 1000 rounds a week.

When you do practice and hone, you are closing in on the other 5%. wink
Did local IPSC matches in the late 80's to mid 90's until I couldn't afford the equipment race. Middle of the pack at best. Started NRA High Power shooting service rifle until I legged out. Silver and bronze at the nationals, Camp Perry. Went to match rifle and made HM before my spine went to chit. Had great fun and met a lot of great people. That's what I miss most, you never knew who you'd get squaded up with! I got to shoot with some of the very best back then. Got my azz handed to me most of the time but it was always fun. Never did F class although it did look like fun, maybe a little more of a equipment race?

Now I just go blast away and bullchit with fudds.

Have fun until you can't!
Originally Posted by blindshooter
Did local IPSC matches in the late 80's to mid 90's until I couldn't afford the equipment race. Middle of the pack at best. Started NRA High Power shooting service rifle until I legged out. Silver and bronze at the nationals, Camp Perry. Went to match rifle and made HM before my spine went to chit. Had great fun and met a lot of great people. That's what I miss most, you never knew who you'd get squaded up with! I got to shoot with some of the very best back then. Got my azz handed to me most of the time but it was always fun. Never did F class although it did look like fun, maybe a little more of a equipment race?

Now I just go blast away and bullchit with fudds.

Have fun until you can't!

I think that's what I miss most about clays - wasn't the shooting but the people.
Posted By: Osky Re: For those that compete - 10/18/22

YMMV

I found myself back around 2000 in a duck blind with some really good folks, on my right was John Satterwhite. It was on the Missouri River, east side, just out of Pierre.
It was an insanely brutal day with cold, sleet, and a north wind coming right to left at somewhere near the speed of sound. Not much flying.
I happened to look up wind and a long ways off I spotted three dots coming our way on the wind. I called out, gritted my teeth and got ready to rise. John was fastest up on my right and as those three ducks came across us At Mach 12 I hear what seemed one shot versus the three he fired. There were three puffs of feathers out front followed by three crumpled dead ducks ducks all of it moving horizontally on that brutal wind. Man that guy could shoot!
I unloaded my gun and sat the blind for the conversation and chocolate chip cookies rest of that morning.

Osky
Originally Posted by Osky

YMMV

I found myself back around 2000 in a duck blind with some really good folks, on my right was John Satterwhite. It was on the Missouri River, east side, just out of Pierre.
It was an insanely brutal day with cold, sleet, and a north wind coming right to left at somewhere near the speed of sound. Not much flying.
I happened to look up wind and a long ways off I spotted three dots coming our way on the wind. I called out, gritted my teeth and got ready to rise. John was fastest up on my right and as those three ducks came across us At Mach 12 I hear what seemed one shot versus the three he fired. There were three puffs of feathers out front followed by three crumpled dead ducks ducks all of it moving horizontally on that brutal wind. Man that guy could shoot!
I unloaded my gun and sat the blind for the conversation and chocolate chip cookies rest of that morning.

Osky

Yep - used to shoot trap with a guy who was a 16.5 average but he'd straight murder anything with wings. Rarely ever missed.

My point being - prowess in one discipline is not necessarily indicative of ability to hit game at distance and vice versa. I'm sure there's a pile of guys who can straight sluice mulies at 750 that couldn't place in the top 99% of a bench rest match. I just find little correlation to "that guys a good shot" and "show me your card". They're not always connected. Steelhead used to say a lot- back in the day - I don't care about groups. I shoot to hit stuff and if I can hit it at UKN distances over and over - I'll take that over some mythical "I shoot this in the 2's" type of bragging. (paraphrasing)
Posted By: jbmi Re: For those that compete - 10/18/22
ATA Trap, well use to.
Been shooting ATA Trap since 03, Local, State, and Grand American.
I'm shy about 1500 rounds from getting my 50,000 pin for 16 yd. registered birds, 25,00+ for handicap and just under 18,000 for doubles.
All State Team, about 8- 100 pins and lots of trophies.
Just before Covid hit in 2020 I was carrying a 96+ average for 16 yards and 23 yd Handicap.
Not shooting for the last two years, and getting two years older (78 now) my average is in the low 90's.
I've decided my trap shooting now is for enjoyment, not competition.
Posted By: tzone Re: For those that compete - 10/18/22

YMMV

Osky

A man's gotta know his limitations. laugh
Posted By: jc189 Re: For those that compete - 10/18/22
[/quote]

Osky

Osky, I shot with John Satterwhite back in the late 70's. He certainly was fast and accurate. He put on one hell of a shooting exhibition with a shotgun. I have been out of the competition shooting game for a very long time. I fired my last shot in competition in 1980 well over 40 years ago. I started shooting skeet in 1970. FSA,NSSA. Won Florida state junior championship all guage's twice. Made the Florida All State Team. I shot with Julia Armour (Armour meats) Hal Dupont (kregioff guns) Gary Randal (Randal Knifes). Several Zone 4 Championship medals. Made the Sports Afield national Team in 1973 and 1974. I won 3 Gold medals,3 Silver medals and 2 Bronse medals in World Skeet shooting competition. NRA shooting instructor, NRA referee. I was recruited by the US Army Marksmanship Unit so I joined the Army. I was a member of the US Army Marksmanship Shooting Team (Ft. Benning Georgia) from 1977-1980. While I was there I shot international competition in Germany, Italy, France, Spain, Canada. Also shot all over the US. While I was at Ft. Benning I became a Sniper instructor. We shot M-21's. That was the army's sniper weapon at the time. In order to graduate the sniper school back then you had to be able to shoot a first round hit and kill at a 1000 meters and shoot a first round hit and kill at 600 meters with an AN PVS 2 starlight scope at night. No second shots. That system is antiquated now but we did pretty well with it using match 168gr boat tail hollow points. That was all a very long time ago. Now I just enjoy shooting with the grandkids. And going hunting of course.
Teal, My point is, if you take your finger and follow every word of Sticks post that I reposted, you will see that he claimed Legendary Rifleman status for himself not once, but twice. I don't know about you, but my version of Legendary Rifleman status has got to include more than pics of acouple of dinks, dead fish, cut trees, rifles underwater, and a bunch of broke stuff.
Posted By: deflave Re: For those that compete - 10/18/22
Shotgun

2006 World FITASC 14th
2005 NSCA US Open 3RD
8-Time NSCA All-American

Rifle

2015 Steel Safari 7th
2016 Steel Safari 6th

AND he’s retarded!!!

LOL
Posted By: Osky Re: For those that compete - 10/18/22
Originally Posted by jc189

Osky

Osky, I shot with John Satterwhite back in the late 70's. He certainly was fast and accurate. He put on one hell of a shooting exhibition with a shotgun. I have been out of the competition shooting game for a very long time. I fired my last shot in competition in 1980 well over 40 years ago. I started shooting skeet in 1970. FSA,NSSA. Won Florida state junior championship all guage's twice. Made the Florida All State Team. I shot with Julia Armour (Armour meats) Hal Dupont (kregioff guns) Gary Randal (Randal Knifes). Several Zone 4 Championship medals. Made the Sports Afield national Team in 1973 and 1974. I won 3 Gold medals,3 Silver medals and 2 Bronse medals in World Skeet shooting competition. NRA shooting instructor, NRA referee. I was recruited by the US Army Marksmanship Unit so I joined the Army. I was a member of the US Army Marksmanship Shooting Team (Ft. Benning Georgia) from 1977-1980. While I was there I shot international competition in Germany, Italy, France, Spain, Canada. Also shot all over the US. While I was at Ft. Benning I became a Sniper instructor. We shot M-21's. That was the army's sniper weapon at the time. In order to graduate the sniper school back then you had to be able to shoot a first round hit and kill at a 1000 meters and shoot a first round hit and kill at 600 meters with an AN PVS 2 starlight scope at night. No second shots. That system is antiquated now but we did pretty well with it using match 168gr boat tail hollow points. That was all a very long time ago. Now I just enjoy shooting with the grandkids. And going hunting of course.[/quote]

Impressive trails you’ve made jc, some of the other fellows here as well hats off to you boys.
Big John was quite the guy, the only time I could beat him may have been in a good crappie hole. He’d do about anything for a good catch of slab crappies.

Osky
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: For those that compete - 10/19/22
1. What do you compete in? I recently competed in my first IDPA match.

2. What do you compete with? Walther PDP compact 5" with e Holoson 508T optic. Carry optics senior division.

3. Generally how do you do? I was happy for my first. My overall stats out of 22 competitors was 9th in time and 5th in accuracy. With it being my first I went slower than I normally would being careful of safety violations or DQ's.

4. Why do you shoot what you shoot in the disciple you've decided upon? I simply like the idea of competing to keep myself sharp. I'm never going to be a USPSA guy simply because I won't dedicate the time required in live and dry fire practice. Big picture though...it's a blast and I like most all of the guys that compete here locally.
Posted By: rcamuglia Re: For those that compete - 10/19/22
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Impressive indeed!

But I disagree with it being ONLY dedication and hard work. It takes a natural talent or ability, skill, whatever you want to call it, as well.

It's never good to get "rusty". You can't when competing. But natural ability allows someone to out shoot 95% of others, even when you don't practice a 1000 rounds a week.

When you do practice and hone, you are closing in on the other 5%. wink

Absolute truth. I’m blessed!
Posted By: Teal Re: For those that compete - 10/19/22
Teal, My point is, if you take your finger and follow every word of Sticks post that I reposted, you will see that he claimed Legendary Rifleman status for himself not once, but twice. I don't know about you, but my version of Legendary Rifleman status has got to include more than pics of acouple of dinks, dead fish, cut trees, rifles underwater, and a bunch of broke stuff.

I've been here almost 20 years. Talked with/to Stick here and elsewhere. I'm well familiar with what he is and how/where he does or doesn't shoot.

Some "classification" in small bore silhouette is not going to change my opinion of his skills and never will one way or another.

No one's would except narrowly in small bore silhouette. IDGAF about SBS. I do care about poking critters in the ribs and his advice over 2 decades has helped me understand quite a bit more than before I met him in 03.
Posted By: LoadClear Re: For those that compete - 10/19/22
Shot a couple years at the state, regional, and national level for the Army National Guard. Took first in a couple of slow fire matches at the state level. My team won regional in the rifle class, and I placed in the 11th percentile overall at the Winston P Wilson Rifle, Pistol, and Machine Gun Championship at Little Rock AR. I was high novice that year. Then 9/11 happened, and the competitions were on hiatus… never went back to competetive shooting.

Shot the M-16A2 out to 600m prone unsupported (the event I won), the M9 in EIC match, and one year I shot the M-60 (out to 800m).

Never got enough leg points for the bling badges since 9/11 stopped it all.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: For those that compete - 10/19/22
Did you read the thread title?
Posted By: rcamuglia Re: For those that compete - 10/19/22
Some "classification" in small bore silhouette is not going to change my opinion of his skills and never will one way or another.

No one's would except narrowly in small bore silhouette. IDGAF about SBS. I do care about poking critters in the ribs and his advice over 2 decades has helped me understand quite a bit more than before I met him in 03.

What does it take to earn the labels “good” or “the best” at some type of skill?

I was always a great shotgunner and rifle shot in the field. When I first started serious competition, I could never shoot my best. Nervousness, trying too hard, focusing on the outcome instead staying in the moment.

I have a friend who plays a lot of golf. When he plays with his friends and family, he shoots incredible scores; big time under par rounds. If he enters a little local tournament, he shoots 75 every day on the same courses.

To be considered “good” or “The Best” at something, you have to be able to do it when it counts; when everything is on the line. It took years for me to be able to shoot to the best of my ability under the pressure of competition.

Being able to do your best under competitive pressures makes hunting and shooting game seem simple.

As far as I’m concerned, you have to be able to bring it under the pressure of competition to be “Legendary”
Posted By: stxhunter Re: For those that compete - 10/19/22
I shot IPSC in the eighties and early nineties, B class. mostly for fun my Dad, Ferman Garza, Taylor Latham, and Tommy Teas shot master class. I got my Dad's 38 super now, haven't shot it yet. Optics will be new to me.

Posted By: Jim270 Re: For those that compete - 10/19/22
As far as I’m concerned, you have to be able to bring it under the pressure of competition to be “Legendary”[/quote]

My thoughts exactly. Wigger and Tubb come to mind as far as Legendary Riflemen, not some internet keyboard pounding windbag.
Posted By: ldholton Re: For those that compete - 10/19/22

I've been here almost 20 years. Talked with/to Stick here and elsewhere. I'm well familiar with what he is and how/where he does or doesn't shoot.

It's much easier to say you just can't shoot off hand as well as you can with the rest. Quite simple
Posted By: dan_oz Re: For those that compete - 10/19/22
I have engaged in a range of competition over the years. When I was a teenager I shot a lot of ISU smallbore, including State and Nationals. I had a Martini International and then an Anschuetz - a 1407 IIRC, and won a lot of spoons. I also used to shoot Field Rifle, using my Brno Mod 1, and won the odd prize at that too.

As well as these I did a bit of Fullbore, out to 1000 yards. This was mostly with an Omark 44 target rifle (7.62 mm). I also competed in Modern Pentathlon, which at the time included shooting turning targets with a .22 Standard Pistol as one of the 5 events.

In the years since then I did a lot of shooting with the Army, and Service Rifle competition, and did pretty well at it. I have also enjoyed annual Anzac Day shoots with the SMLE, for old times sake. We had SMLEs in the school armoury (and Brens) when I started High School.

I shot IPSC for a number of years, starting out with a stock 1911A1 .45, and then shooting Production class with a Glock 17 fitted with a "-" trigger connector but otherwise unmodified. I competed in State and Nationals, and didn't disgrace myself. For a few years I was going through at least a couple of hundred rounds a week at this. I also did a bit of Revolver class, with a Ruger GP100, but this was just for fun.

I've also shot a fair bit of Sporting Clays over the years, and some 5 Stand, and I once won a prize in a trap comp using a borrowed gun (a very nice high-grade Miroku).

I have enjoyed competition, but I don't do it any more. I could maybe be tempted to go in a charity match or something, just for fun, but I'm not really driven enough to do it otherwise. I prefer to go hunting.
Posted By: rangerat Re: For those that compete - 10/19/22
I started competing in 1959 on a cadet corp high school rifle team and did well. Qualified exp. with the M1 in 62 army basic. Shot on my division rifle team for 19 mos in 64 and 65 when I got out. Didn't compete again til about 83 when I started shooting the high power rifle national match course again . Shot to master class with the m14 and went distinguished in 88 at the nationals. Shot until I retired in Nov. of 91 and moved to AZ. Shot in a couple of matches in Phoenix AZ and Seely Ca in the early 90's but just kind of lost interest in competition. Just been a plinker since then, but it's still fun.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: For those that compete - 10/19/22
I'm Highpower Service Rifle knuckle dragger.

An AR15 with nice match barrels. Used to use irons, now I shoot very nice scopes like the March.

I'm a decent club-level competitor, with brief flirtations with national level shooting.

I like to hunt and shooting without supports seemed like it would be good for building that skill. I was right. I kill a fair proportion from standing, but the majority from sitting, both skills that Highpower hones to a fine level. I also did a little SB Silo shooting years ago, but nothing formal. Also some trap shooting.
© 24hourcampfire