Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Osky
[/quote]

I found myself back around 2000 in a duck blind with some really good folks, on my right was John Satterwhite. It was on the Missouri River, east side, just out of Pierre.
It was an insanely brutal day with cold, sleet, and a north wind coming right to left at somewhere near the speed of sound. Not much flying.
I happened to look up wind and a long ways off I spotted three dots coming our way on the wind. I called out, gritted my teeth and got ready to rise. John was fastest up on my right and as those three ducks came across us At Mach 12 I hear what seemed one shot versus the three he fired. There were three puffs of feathers out front followed by three crumpled dead ducks ducks all of it moving horizontally on that brutal wind. Man that guy could shoot!
I unloaded my gun and sat the blind for the conversation and chocolate chip cookies rest of that morning.

Osky

Osky, I shot with John Satterwhite back in the late 70's. He certainly was fast and accurate. He put on one hell of a shooting exhibition with a shotgun. I have been out of the competition shooting game for a very long time. I fired my last shot in competition in 1980 well over 40 years ago. I started shooting skeet in 1970. FSA,NSSA. Won Florida state junior championship all guage's twice. Made the Florida All State Team. I shot with Julia Armour (Armour meats) Hal Dupont (kregioff guns) Gary Randal (Randal Knifes). Several Zone 4 Championship medals. Made the Sports Afield national Team in 1973 and 1974. I won 3 Gold medals,3 Silver medals and 2 Bronse medals in World Skeet shooting competition. NRA shooting instructor, NRA referee. I was recruited by the US Army Marksmanship Unit so I joined the Army. I was a member of the US Army Marksmanship Shooting Team (Ft. Benning Georgia) from 1977-1980. While I was there I shot international competition in Germany, Italy, France, Spain, Canada. Also shot all over the US. While I was at Ft. Benning I became a Sniper instructor. We shot M-21's. That was the army's sniper weapon at the time. In order to graduate the sniper school back then you had to be able to shoot a first round hit and kill at a 1000 meters and shoot a first round hit and kill at 600 meters with an AN PVS 2 starlight scope at night. No second shots. That system is antiquated now but we did pretty well with it using match 168gr boat tail hollow points. That was all a very long time ago. Now I just enjoy shooting with the grandkids. And going hunting of course.

Last edited by jc189; 10/18/22. Reason: spelling

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Teal, My point is, if you take your finger and follow every word of Sticks post that I reposted, you will see that he claimed Legendary Rifleman status for himself not once, but twice. I don't know about you, but my version of Legendary Rifleman status has got to include more than pics of acouple of dinks, dead fish, cut trees, rifles underwater, and a bunch of broke stuff.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Shotgun

2005 NSCA National Championship Browning All-Around Champion
2005 NSCA National Championship Krieghoff Cup Champion
2005 NSCA National Championship FITASC Champion
2001 NSCA National Championship Runner Up
2006 Pan American FITASC Champion (World Cup)
2006 World FITASC 14th
2007 NSCA National FITASC Champion
2003 NSCA National Championship Krieghoff Cup Runner Up
2005 NSCA US Open 3RD
2005 NSCA US Open FITASC Runner Up
2007 Texas State Sporting Clays Championship Runner Up
2005 World Sporting Clays Championship FITASC Runner Up
2004 Browning/Briley Runner Up
2002 Midwest FITASC Champion
2003 Midwest FITASC Champion
2007 NSCA National Championship FITASC 3rd
2007 Mile High Classic Champion
2007 Zone 7 FITASC Champion
4-Time Team USA Member, 3 Team Silver, 1 Team Gold
9-Time New Mexico State Champion
3-Time Arizona State Shoot Champion
2-Time Colorado State Shoot Champion
8-Time NSCA All-American

Rifle

7/2010 Whittington Sporting Rifle Match Champion with Course Record Matching 58
2013 Steel Safari Runner Up
2014 Steel Safari Champion
2015 Steel Safari 7th
2016 Steel Safari 6th
Two top 20 finishes at Sniper's Hide Cup
Top 10 finish at 2015 NMPRC PRS Match

AND he’s retarded!!!

LOL

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by jc189
Originally Posted by Osky

I found myself back around 2000 in a duck blind with some really good folks, on my right was John Satterwhite. It was on the Missouri River, east side, just out of Pierre.
It was an insanely brutal day with cold, sleet, and a north wind coming right to left at somewhere near the speed of sound. Not much flying.
I happened to look up wind and a long ways off I spotted three dots coming our way on the wind. I called out, gritted my teeth and got ready to rise. John was fastest up on my right and as those three ducks came across us At Mach 12 I hear what seemed one shot versus the three he fired. There were three puffs of feathers out front followed by three crumpled dead ducks ducks all of it moving horizontally on that brutal wind. Man that guy could shoot!
I unloaded my gun and sat the blind for the conversation and chocolate chip cookies rest of that morning.

Osky

Osky, I shot with John Satterwhite back in the late 70's. He certainly was fast and accurate. He put on one hell of a shooting exhibition with a shotgun. I have been out of the competition shooting game for a very long time. I fired my last shot in competition in 1980 well over 40 years ago. I started shooting skeet in 1970. FSA,NSSA. Won Florida state junior championship all guage's twice. Made the Florida All State Team. I shot with Julia Armour (Armour meats) Hal Dupont (kregioff guns) Gary Randal (Randal Knifes). Several Zone 4 Championship medals. Made the Sports Afield national Team in 1973 and 1974. I won 3 Gold medals,3 Silver medals and 2 Bronse medals in World Skeet shooting competition. NRA shooting instructor, NRA referee. I was recruited by the US Army Marksmanship Unit so I joined the Army. I was a member of the US Army Marksmanship Shooting Team (Ft. Benning Georgia) from 1977-1980. While I was there I shot international competition in Germany, Italy, France, Spain, Canada. Also shot all over the US. While I was at Ft. Benning I became a Sniper instructor. We shot M-21's. That was the army's sniper weapon at the time. In order to graduate the sniper school back then you had to be able to shoot a first round hit and kill at a 1000 meters and shoot a first round hit and kill at 600 meters with an AN PVS 2 starlight scope at night. No second shots. That system is antiquated now but we did pretty well with it using match 168gr boat tail hollow points. That was all a very long time ago. Now I just enjoy shooting with the grandkids. And going hunting of course.[/quote]

Impressive trails you’ve made jc, some of the other fellows here as well hats off to you boys.
Big John was quite the guy, the only time I could beat him may have been in a good crappie hole. He’d do about anything for a good catch of slab crappies.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
1. What do you compete in? I recently competed in my first IDPA match.

2. What do you compete with? Walther PDP compact 5" with e Holoson 508T optic. Carry optics senior division.

3. Generally how do you do? I was happy for my first. My overall stats out of 22 competitors was 9th in time and 5th in accuracy. With it being my first I went slower than I normally would being careful of safety violations or DQ's.

4. Why do you shoot what you shoot in the disciple you've decided upon? I simply like the idea of competing to keep myself sharp. I'm never going to be a USPSA guy simply because I won't dedicate the time required in live and dry fire practice. Big picture though...it's a blast and I like most all of the guys that compete here locally.

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Originally Posted by Jim270
I'd say you know your way around a shotgun! Congratulations on your excellent shooting!

Thank you Jim! Lots of dedication and hard work

Impressive indeed!

But I disagree with it being ONLY dedication and hard work. It takes a natural talent or ability, skill, whatever you want to call it, as well.

It's never good to get "rusty". You can't when competing. But natural ability allows someone to out shoot 95% of others, even when you don't practice a 1000 rounds a week.

When you do practice and hone, you are closing in on the other 5%. wink

Absolute truth. I’m blessed!

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Teal, My point is, if you take your finger and follow every word of Sticks post that I reposted, you will see that he claimed Legendary Rifleman status for himself not once, but twice. I don't know about you, but my version of Legendary Rifleman status has got to include more than pics of acouple of dinks, dead fish, cut trees, rifles underwater, and a bunch of broke stuff.

I've been here almost 20 years. Talked with/to Stick here and elsewhere. I'm well familiar with what he is and how/where he does or doesn't shoot.

Some "classification" in small bore silhouette is not going to change my opinion of his skills and never will one way or another.

No one's would except narrowly in small bore silhouette. IDGAF about SBS. I do care about poking critters in the ribs and his advice over 2 decades has helped me understand quite a bit more than before I met him in 03.

Me

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Shot a couple years at the state, regional, and national level for the Army National Guard. Took first in a couple of slow fire matches at the state level. My team won regional in the rifle class, and I placed in the 11th percentile overall at the Winston P Wilson Rifle, Pistol, and Machine Gun Championship at Little Rock AR. I was high novice that year. Then 9/11 happened, and the competitions were on hiatus… never went back to competetive shooting.

Shot the M-16A2 out to 600m prone unsupported (the event I won), the M9 in EIC match, and one year I shot the M-60 (out to 800m).

Never got enough leg points for the bling badges since 9/11 stopped it all.

Last edited by LoadClear; 10/18/22.

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Did you read the thread title?

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Teal
Some "classification" in small bore silhouette is not going to change my opinion of his skills and never will one way or another.

No one's would except narrowly in small bore silhouette. IDGAF about SBS. I do care about poking critters in the ribs and his advice over 2 decades has helped me understand quite a bit more than before I met him in 03.

What does it take to earn the labels “good” or “the best” at some type of skill?

I was always a great shotgunner and rifle shot in the field. When I first started serious competition, I could never shoot my best. Nervousness, trying too hard, focusing on the outcome instead staying in the moment.

I have a friend who plays a lot of golf. When he plays with his friends and family, he shoots incredible scores; big time under par rounds. If he enters a little local tournament, he shoots 75 every day on the same courses.

To be considered “good” or “The Best” at something, you have to be able to do it when it counts; when everything is on the line. It took years for me to be able to shoot to the best of my ability under the pressure of competition.

Being able to do your best under competitive pressures makes hunting and shooting game seem simple.

As far as I’m concerned, you have to be able to bring it under the pressure of competition to be “Legendary”

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I shot IPSC in the eighties and early nineties, B class. mostly for fun my Dad, Ferman Garza, Taylor Latham, and Tommy Teas shot master class. I got my Dad's 38 super now, haven't shot it yet. Optics will be new to me.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
As far as I’m concerned, you have to be able to bring it under the pressure of competition to be “Legendary”[/quote]

My thoughts exactly. Wigger and Tubb come to mind as far as Legendary Riflemen, not some internet keyboard pounding windbag.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Teal

I've been here almost 20 years. Talked with/to Stick here and elsewhere. I'm well familiar with what he is and how/where he does or doesn't shoot.

It's much easier to say you just can't shoot off hand as well as you can with the rest. Quite simple

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have engaged in a range of competition over the years. When I was a teenager I shot a lot of ISU smallbore, including State and Nationals. I had a Martini International and then an Anschuetz - a 1407 IIRC, and won a lot of spoons. I also used to shoot Field Rifle, using my Brno Mod 1, and won the odd prize at that too.

As well as these I did a bit of Fullbore, out to 1000 yards. This was mostly with an Omark 44 target rifle (7.62 mm). I also competed in Modern Pentathlon, which at the time included shooting turning targets with a .22 Standard Pistol as one of the 5 events.

In the years since then I did a lot of shooting with the Army, and Service Rifle competition, and did pretty well at it. I have also enjoyed annual Anzac Day shoots with the SMLE, for old times sake. We had SMLEs in the school armoury (and Brens) when I started High School.

I shot IPSC for a number of years, starting out with a stock 1911A1 .45, and then shooting Production class with a Glock 17 fitted with a "-" trigger connector but otherwise unmodified. I competed in State and Nationals, and didn't disgrace myself. For a few years I was going through at least a couple of hundred rounds a week at this. I also did a bit of Revolver class, with a Ruger GP100, but this was just for fun.

I've also shot a fair bit of Sporting Clays over the years, and some 5 Stand, and I once won a prize in a trap comp using a borrowed gun (a very nice high-grade Miroku).

I have enjoyed competition, but I don't do it any more. I could maybe be tempted to go in a charity match or something, just for fun, but I'm not really driven enough to do it otherwise. I prefer to go hunting.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I started competing in 1959 on a cadet corp high school rifle team and did well. Qualified exp. with the M1 in 62 army basic. Shot on my division rifle team for 19 mos in 64 and 65 when I got out. Didn't compete again til about 83 when I started shooting the high power rifle national match course again . Shot to master class with the m14 and went distinguished in 88 at the nationals. Shot until I retired in Nov. of 91 and moved to AZ. Shot in a couple of matches in Phoenix AZ and Seely Ca in the early 90's but just kind of lost interest in competition. Just been a plinker since then, but it's still fun.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
1. What do you compete in?
I'm Highpower Service Rifle knuckle dragger.

2. What do you compete with?
An AR15 with nice match barrels. Used to use irons, now I shoot very nice scopes like the March.

3. Generally how do you do?
I'm a decent club-level competitor, with brief flirtations with national level shooting.

4. Why do you shoot what you shoot in the disciple you've decided upon?
I like to hunt and shooting without supports seemed like it would be good for building that skill. I was right. I kill a fair proportion from standing, but the majority from sitting, both skills that Highpower hones to a fine level. I also did a little SB Silo shooting years ago, but nothing formal. Also some trap shooting.

Politics is War by Other Means
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (1badf350, 1minute, 270cowboy, 2500HD, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 58 invisible), 2,355 guests, and 1,355 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,167
Posts18,503,094
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.