Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
1. What do you compete in? Initially NRA Mid-range AR tactical class. My daughter was interested so she does it as well. I shoot NRA /CMP HIGHPOWER as well, as well as NRA LR my daughter shoots that as well

2. What do you compete with? AR tactical initially for me AR15 in a 223 wylde all PSA made, only decent thing about it was my scope a 10x SWFA. I dumped the barrel, went with a green mtn barrel, better trigger larue mbt and switched to a A2 stock. My scores improved tremendously. Following year daughter wanted to shoot, so I put an AR15 together ARP 224 Valkyrie barrel specifically setup to shoot 80gr eld-m. I built one for myself as well, can no longer get those ARP barrels chambered in 224 Valkyrie.

3. Generally how do you do? My daughter made master first year AR tactical, I’m a expert. Service rifle I’m not so great I’m mr 412 lol. I did get a new barrel recently and I have high hopes this barrel will get me into the 430-440’s. For LR my daughter shoots f class rifle I shoot an AR15 in 223.

4. Why do you shoot what you shoot in the disciple you've decided upon? It’s fun and something to do, my daughter really enjoys it.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have competed in NSSA Skeet and NSCA Sporting clay, ATA trap (very little). ARA Rimfire, NAA archery, NFAA archery, and a very little pistol (don't recall but I think it was ISPC) Lately I have been shooting rimfire matches

In Skeet, Trap, and Sporting Clays, I used Browning, Beretta, Blaser, Remington, and maybe another one or two before settling in on Krieghoff. In Archery, I used Martin, Hoyt, and others, but when I quit I was shooting PSE. In Pistol, I shot a Nowlin 1911. In rimfire, I use either a CZ or a Remington 40X

How did I do? In skeet (before I quit) I make the state skeet team and was AAA in everything but 410 and was AA in that. Trap was not my thing and I might have made it to C class before moving to Sporting Clay where I made it to B class.
In Archery, years ago I won the state in BHFS indoors and several local matches. I dropped out of archery to shoot shotguns, and then about 6 years ago when back to shooting archery. When I cam back, I won the state indoors NFAA FS division (in the old guy class) as well as the state NFAA Outdoor Field. Also placed second in the state senior Olympics (in my aged division) In pistol, I was the one that made everyone else look good....lol
In Rimfire (this is my first year to do that) I one the league shoot at the club I shoot at in Factory class

Why did I shoot? I started out in archery to be a better bow hunter, and fell down the rabbit hole. Shotgun was a lot like archery, I stated shooting to be a better wing shot for dove and duck. Pistol, well that one still has me wondering "what I was thinking"..lol

I still enjoy shooting but don't feel the need to compete like I once did. I would rather go and shoot skeet, trap or sporting with some friends and have a good time than to compete like I once did.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Originally Posted by Teal
I've always loved watching the race gun guys on youtube - USPSA types. I used to be fairly serious at Trap and Sporting Clays.

I am not a comp guy - I can handle a 1911/G19 ok and shoot for fun. The various rules/classes seem confusing but it's Monday, I've had an uber crappy day and thought some conversation would be interesting. Not looking for a "XX is good, YY is crap" perspective - or should I say, just that.

Curious.

1. What do you compete in?
2. What do you compete with?
3. Generally how do you do?
4. Why do you shoot what you shoot in the disciple you've decided upon?

Competition requires the ability to concentrate and the desire to better other people.

I have neither.

Don't forget it is an Åsshole magnifier.

Shot sporting clays as a fun time with friends. Kept score, tried to
improve. Knew who was better/less so. A few were quite good
the guys wo don't keep score, just count "drops".

Only completion was Pasture Rimfire.
Swingers, offhand, 5 targets and a sudden death tiebreaker.
25 cents per round. Usually 10 rounds 5-10 guys.
Fun times, trying to improve skills.
Had 2 competitors. Bought the tools, shot the ammo. Never built the skills.
Was fun watching them!!!

My goal was to never leave with less quarters than I brought.
Never did. That was good enough.

I lied.

Shot some Turkey shoots too.
Used my turkey gun. Had fun with a few friends, won a bit of stuff.
A weapons race, gotta spend the money to do well.
But luck plays a big role. So anyone can win occasionally.

Was a weird deal.
Open shoots I got hammered. Using a hunting gun.

"Hunting Gun" shoots my gun was banned. A .665 choke was too tight!

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 10/18/22.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Well then there is Big Stick, claims his shooting off his hind legs is Rightly Legendary and that he's a Legendary Rifleman, but can't come up with any kind of classification, match report, or a single trophy!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim270
Well then there is Big Stick, claims his shooting off his hind legs is Rightly Legendary and that he's a Legendary Rifleman, but can't come up with any kind of classification, match report, or a single trophy!

I noticed since partaking in some 1000yd matches the so called long range shooters are absent. Don’t know if it’s because they find it boring or are scared to really see how well that rifle shoots. It’s one thing shooting Steel the size of truck hoods and calling all shots hits good. Versus a MOA target at a 1k (if you shoot f class) not say anything wrong with shooting steel size of a truck hood. But I find it funny when they say yeah was shooting steel out 1300 today ok show us some pictures of the group you shot???

Last edited by 79S; 10/18/22.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

IC B2

Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

I've seen Masters level Sporting Clays guys miss ducks at 20 yards. Repeatedly. I take "classification" with a grain of salt, especially when it comes to shooting critters. Constant harping on it "Post your load!" JeffO style doesn't prove a point to anyone.

There's a difference between being able to shoot critters in adverse conditions and from dynamic positions than "standing in the box" and plugging away at known distances/target presentations.

YMMV

Me

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I've seen Masters level Sporting Clays guys miss ducks at 20 yards. Repeatedly. I take "classification" with a grain of salt, especially when it comes to shooting critters. Constant harping on it "Post your load!" JeffO style doesn't prove a point to anyone.

There's a difference between being able to shoot critters in adverse conditions and from dynamic positions than "standing in the box" and plugging away at known distances/target presentations.

YMMV[/quote]

Apparently you missed the silhouette thread in the Competive Shooting section.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I might have competed against you. This was 10 years ago

Originally Posted by deflave
I've always loved watching the race gun guys on youtube - USPSA types. I used to be fairly serious at Trap and Sporting Clays.

I am not a comp guy - I can handle a 1911/G19 ok and shoot for fun. The various rules/classes seem confusing but it's Monday, I've had an uber crappy day and thought some conversation would be interesting. Not looking for a "XX is good, YY is crap" perspective - or should I say, just that.

Curious.

1. What do you compete in?
2. What do you compete with?
3. Generally how do you do?
4. Why do you shoot what you shoot in the disciple you've decided upon?

Teal,

1.) I shoot USPSA but I used to shoot IDPA. I enjoy both but I prefer USPSA. To me it's a more straight forward sport and I'm more interested in shooting as fast as possible as opposed to trying to implement tactics or be preached to about retention of rounds, etc. But I should add that I have the option of both. If IDPA were all I had I would happily participate.

2.) I use a G34 with Trijicon SRO and shoot the Carry Optics Division primarily. But I will also run a G17 with irons and shoot Limited on occasion.

3.) Locally I do well but if I attend larger matches I start getting my ass kicked by the guys that truly compete at state, regional, and national type matches.

4.) I carry Glocks so I want to be good with Glocks. I attempted slide mounted optics when I lived in Montana but that area simply did not afford the opportunity to compete regularly so I had no barometer to determine where I should be at when running an optic alongside a variety of skill levels. I highly recommend all serious handgunners start running optics. They're massive game changers. Staying with Glocks also allows me to use the same rig and have the same familiarity with my EDC (if I want to shoot it at a match) a G17 if I want to shoot Limited, my G34 if I'm shooting Carry Optics, and my G44 if I shoot a rimfire Steel Challenge even though you don't need a holster to shoot Rimfire Steel Challenge. Belts, holsters, and mag carriers are expensive. So are magazines. Commonality is good IMO.

I absolutely love shooting USPSA and IDPA matches. It was one of the things I missed most when living in Montana even though that part of Montana afforded an almost limitless amount of shooting and hunting. But I'm thrilled to compete regularly again. COVID and Joe Fugk Face have caused hiccups but things are slowly getting closer to normal again.

I also shoot three gun matches but only about once a month. My primary reason for shooting these is familiarity with shoot-people-type-shotguns which is something I don't tend to do a lot of. I love shooting Steel Challenge as well, but not as much as regular USPSA. I usually do decent at both of these.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

YMMV

I seen plenty of non master sporting clay guys miss ducks at 20yds. Afterwards you go wtf as you and partner sit their dumbfounded.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I remember one time at a golf tournament, Jack Nicklaus needed to sink a foot and a half put to win the marbles. He missed and afterwards the commentator ask him how could you miss such an easy put? Jack said the same way you could!

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shotgun

2005 NSCA National Championship Browning All-Around Champion
2005 NSCA National Championship Krieghoff Cup Champion
2005 NSCA National Championship FITASC Champion
2001 NSCA National Championship Runner Up
2006 Pan American FITASC Champion (World Cup)
2006 World FITASC 14th
2007 NSCA National FITASC Champion
2003 NSCA National Championship Krieghoff Cup Runner Up
2005 NSCA US Open 3RD
2005 NSCA US Open FITASC Runner Up
2007 Texas State Sporting Clays Championship Runner Up
2005 World Sporting Clays Championship FITASC Runner Up
2004 Browning/Briley Runner Up
2002 Midwest FITASC Champion
2003 Midwest FITASC Champion
2007 NSCA National Championship FITASC 3rd
2007 Mile High Classic Champion
2007 Zone 7 FITASC Champion
4-Time Team USA Member, 3 Team Silver, 1 Team Gold
9-Time New Mexico State Champion
3-Time Arizona State Shoot Champion
2-Time Colorado State Shoot Champion
8-Time NSCA All-American

Rifle

7/2010 Whittington Sporting Rifle Match Champion with Course Record Matching 58
2013 Steel Safari Runner Up
2014 Steel Safari Champion
2015 Steel Safari 7th
2016 Steel Safari 6th
Two top 20 finishes at Sniper's Hide Cup
Top 10 finish at 2015 NMPRC PRS Match

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Shotgun

2005 NSCA National Championship Browning All-Around Champion
2005 NSCA National Championship Krieghoff Cup Champion
2005 NSCA National Championship FITASC Champion
2001 NSCA National Championship Runner Up
2006 Pan American FITASC Champion (World Cup)
2006 World FITASC 14th
2007 NSCA National FITASC Champion
2003 NSCA National Championship Krieghoff Cup Runner Up
2005 NSCA US Open 3RD
2005 NSCA US Open FITASC Runner Up
2007 Texas State Sporting Clays Championship Runner Up
2005 World Sporting Clays Championship FITASC Runner Up
2004 Browning/Briley Runner Up
2002 Midwest FITASC Champion
2003 Midwest FITASC Champion
2007 NSCA National Championship FITASC 3rd
2007 Mile High Classic Champion
2007 Zone 7 FITASC Champion
4-Time Team USA Member, 3 Team Silver, 1 Team Gold
9-Time New Mexico State Champion
3-Time Arizona State Shoot Champion
2-Time Colorado State Shoot Champion
8-Time NSCA All-American

Rifle

7/2010 Whittington Sporting Rifle Match Champion with Course Record Matching 58
2013 Steel Safari Runner Up
2014 Steel Safari Champion
2015 Steel Safari 7th
2016 Steel Safari 6th
Two top 20 finishes at Sniper's Hide Cup
Top 10 finish at 2015 NMPRC PRS Match

I'd say you know your way around a shotgun! Congratulations on your excellent shooting!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd say you know your way around a shotgun! Congratulations on your excellent shooting!

Thank you Jim! Lots of dedication and hard work

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rcamuglia

Thank you Jim! Lots of dedication and hard work

Impressive indeed!

But I disagree with it being ONLY dedication and hard work. It takes a natural talent or ability, skill, whatever you want to call it, as well.

It's never good to get "rusty". You can't when competing. But natural ability allows someone to out shoot 95% of others, even when you don't practice a 1000 rounds a week.

When you do practice and hone, you are closing in on the other 5%. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Did local IPSC matches in the late 80's to mid 90's until I couldn't afford the equipment race. Middle of the pack at best. Started NRA High Power shooting service rifle until I legged out. Silver and bronze at the nationals, Camp Perry. Went to match rifle and made HM before my spine went to chit. Had great fun and met a lot of great people. That's what I miss most, you never knew who you'd get squaded up with! I got to shoot with some of the very best back then. Got my azz handed to me most of the time but it was always fun. Never did F class although it did look like fun, maybe a little more of a equipment race?

Now I just go blast away and bullchit with fudds.

Have fun until you can't!

Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by blindshooter
Did local IPSC matches in the late 80's to mid 90's until I couldn't afford the equipment race. Middle of the pack at best. Started NRA High Power shooting service rifle until I legged out. Silver and bronze at the nationals, Camp Perry. Went to match rifle and made HM before my spine went to chit. Had great fun and met a lot of great people. That's what I miss most, you never knew who you'd get squaded up with! I got to shoot with some of the very best back then. Got my azz handed to me most of the time but it was always fun. Never did F class although it did look like fun, maybe a little more of a equipment race?

Now I just go blast away and bullchit with fudds.

Have fun until you can't!

I think that's what I miss most about clays - wasn't the shooting but the people.

Me

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O

YMMV

I found myself back around 2000 in a duck blind with some really good folks, on my right was John Satterwhite. It was on the Missouri River, east side, just out of Pierre.
It was an insanely brutal day with cold, sleet, and a north wind coming right to left at somewhere near the speed of sound. Not much flying.
I happened to look up wind and a long ways off I spotted three dots coming our way on the wind. I called out, gritted my teeth and got ready to rise. John was fastest up on my right and as those three ducks came across us At Mach 12 I hear what seemed one shot versus the three he fired. There were three puffs of feathers out front followed by three crumpled dead ducks ducks all of it moving horizontally on that brutal wind. Man that guy could shoot!
I unloaded my gun and sat the blind for the conversation and chocolate chip cookies rest of that morning.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Osky

YMMV

I found myself back around 2000 in a duck blind with some really good folks, on my right was John Satterwhite. It was on the Missouri River, east side, just out of Pierre.
It was an insanely brutal day with cold, sleet, and a north wind coming right to left at somewhere near the speed of sound. Not much flying.
I happened to look up wind and a long ways off I spotted three dots coming our way on the wind. I called out, gritted my teeth and got ready to rise. John was fastest up on my right and as those three ducks came across us At Mach 12 I hear what seemed one shot versus the three he fired. There were three puffs of feathers out front followed by three crumpled dead ducks ducks all of it moving horizontally on that brutal wind. Man that guy could shoot!
I unloaded my gun and sat the blind for the conversation and chocolate chip cookies rest of that morning.

Osky

Yep - used to shoot trap with a guy who was a 16.5 average but he'd straight murder anything with wings. Rarely ever missed.

My point being - prowess in one discipline is not necessarily indicative of ability to hit game at distance and vice versa. I'm sure there's a pile of guys who can straight sluice mulies at 750 that couldn't place in the top 99% of a bench rest match. I just find little correlation to "that guys a good shot" and "show me your card". They're not always connected. Steelhead used to say a lot- back in the day - I don't care about groups. I shoot to hit stuff and if I can hit it at UKN distances over and over - I'll take that over some mythical "I shoot this in the 2's" type of bragging. (paraphrasing)

Me

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
ATA Trap, well use to.
Been shooting ATA Trap since 03, Local, State, and Grand American.
I'm shy about 1500 rounds from getting my 50,000 pin for 16 yd. registered birds, 25,00+ for handicap and just under 18,000 for doubles.
All State Team, about 8- 100 pins and lots of trophies.
Just before Covid hit in 2020 I was carrying a 96+ average for 16 yards and 23 yd Handicap.
Not shooting for the last two years, and getting two years older (78 now) my average is in the low 90's.
I've decided my trap shooting now is for enjoyment, not competition.

Last edited by jbmi; 10/18/22.

"The older I get, the better I was"
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Osky

YMMV

Osky

A man's gotta know his limitations. laugh

Camp is where you make it.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

477 members (19rabbit52, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 163bc, 1lesfox, 44 invisible), 2,768 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,656
Posts18,533,887
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.