Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I've always loved watching the race gun guys on youtube - USPSA types. I used to be fairly serious at Trap and Sporting Clays.

I am not a comp guy - I can handle a 1911/G19 ok and shoot for fun. The various rules/classes seem confusing but it's Monday, I've had an uber crappy day and thought some conversation would be interesting. Not looking for a "XX is good, YY is crap" perspective - or should I say, just that.

Curious.

1. What do you compete in?
2. What do you compete with?
3. Generally how do you do?
4. Why do you shoot what you shoot in the disciple you've decided upon?

Me

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've done lots of competitive shooting sports.

PPC, CAS, Mounted CAS, Master Gunfighter competitions, open bullseye rifle and pistol, trap when younger, and used to hit the Turkey Shoot circuit quite a bit.. (You'd be surprised how many there are and how much prizes and cash you can get)

Used to do a wild west show, trick shooting off my horse. Got paid pretty well to do that, and stayed pretty booked up. That was fun. Wish I were that young and able again... wink

Only did a couple of hunting contests. First was the World Coyote contest and then a hog contest. Really didn't care too much for either... I think I'll stick to hunting for enjoyment only.

Won several titles in some the categories above, silver and gold buckles, cash, guns, turkeys, hams, ammo, and such.

Still enjoy shooting, but really would rather just shoot at my private range here at the ranch.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Teal
I've always loved watching the race gun guys on youtube - USPSA types. I used to be fairly serious at Trap and Sporting Clays.

I am not a comp guy - I can handle a 1911/G19 ok and shoot for fun. The various rules/classes seem confusing but it's Monday, I've had an uber crappy day and thought some conversation would be interesting. Not looking for a "XX is good, YY is crap" perspective - or should I say, just that.

Curious.

Teal,

1.) I shoot USPSA but I used to shoot IDPA. I enjoy both but I prefer USPSA. To me it's a more straight forward sport and I'm more interested in shooting as fast as possible as opposed to trying to implement tactics or be preached to about retention of rounds, etc. But I should add that I have the option of both. If IDPA were all I had I would happily participate.

2.) I use a G34 with Trijicon SRO and shoot the Carry Optics Division primarily. But I will also run a G17 with irons and shoot Limited on occasion.

3.) Locally I do well but if I attend larger matches I start getting my ass kicked by the guys that truly compete at state, regional, and national type matches.

4.) I carry Glocks so I want to be good with Glocks. I attempted slide mounted optics when I lived in Montana but that area simply did not afford the opportunity to compete regularly so I had no barometer to determine where I should be at when running an optic alongside a variety of skill levels. I highly recommend all serious handgunners start running optics. They're massive game changers. Staying with Glocks also allows me to use the same rig and have the same familiarity with my EDC (if I want to shoot it at a match) a G17 if I want to shoot Limited, my G34 if I'm shooting Carry Optics, and my G44 if I shoot a rimfire Steel Challenge even though you don't need a holster to shoot Rimfire Steel Challenge. Belts, holsters, and mag carriers are expensive. So are magazines. Commonality is good IMO.

I absolutely love shooting USPSA and IDPA matches. It was one of the things I missed most when living in Montana even though that part of Montana afforded an almost limitless amount of shooting and hunting. But I'm thrilled to compete regularly again. COVID and Joe Fugk Face have caused hiccups but things are slowly getting closer to normal again.

I also shoot three gun matches but only about once a month. My primary reason for shooting these is familiarity with shoot-people-type-shotguns which is something I don't tend to do a lot of. I love shooting Steel Challenge as well, but not as much as regular USPSA. I usually do decent at both of these.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I used to shoot USPSA/IPSC a lot, about three times a week, 50 weeks a year, for 20 years or so. I shot a compensated Colt .45 GM, but quit when the optics started taking over. My best finish was 5th C at the '89 Nationals, but that got me kicked up into B class, so I competed there for a couple more years, until other interests took over (and I got burned out). It was a lot of fun, and I met a LOT of good people in the process.

Locally, and regionally, I did pretty well over the years, but it also took a lot out of me, as I was an NROI certified range officer and spent a lot of time designing or running matches, in addition to competing. I was spending ALL my free time messing with IPSC, and just burned out. My USPSA number was A-2630, I was into it early-on, and saw things go from real carry guns into the raceguns folks use today. I played along for a good long while, but when optics started taking over, I bowed out because the optics being used were not "practical" in an everyday-useage sense.
It's different now, the smaller optics and better batteries have changed all that, but I haven't gotten back into it.

I still love my 1911s, and always will, but I'll never switch over to optics. They just ain't "me".

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
I used to shoot USPSA/IPSC a lot, about three times a week, 50 weeks a year, for 20 years or so. I shot a compensated Colt .45 GM, but quit when the optics started taking over. My best finish was 5th C at the '89 Nationals, but that got me kicked up into B class, so I competed there for a couple more years, until other interests took over (and I got burned out). It was a lot of fun, and I met a LOT of good people in the process.

Locally, and regionally, I did pretty well over the years, but it also took a lot out of me, as I was an NROI certified range officer and spent a lot of time designing or running matches, in addition to competing. I was spending ALL my free time messing with IPSC, and just burned out. My USPSA number was A-2630, I was into it early-on, and saw things go from real carry guns into the raceguns folks use today. I played along for a good long while, but when optics started taking over, I bowed out because the optics being used were not "practical" in an everyday-useage sense.
It's different now, the smaller optics and better batteries have changed all that, but I haven't gotten back into it.

I still love my 1911s, and always will, but I'll never switch over to optics. They just ain't "me".

Huh??? Alaska state troopers from the rumor mill are pushing to be allowed to have optics on their pistols. Also word is they are going back to the Glock 17's.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by 79S

Huh??? Alaska state troopers from the rumor mill are pushing to be allowed to have optics on their pistols. Also word is they are going back to the Glock 17's.

No "Huh" to it, READ what I wrote, ALL of it. Devote some time to reading comprehension on the second paragraph. That was over 30 years ago, too, Tasco Pro Point IIs were the hot ticket back then. Today, things are different, as I wrote.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

No "Huh" to it, READ what I wrote, ALL of it. Devote some time to reading comprehension on the second paragraph. That was over 30 years ago, too, Tasco Pro Point IIs were the hot ticket back then. Today, things are different, as I wrote.

But I can't read... cry I did read it and you are still stuck on everybody should be shooting a 1911 and damn you to hell if you use optic because I don't.. Go buy a Glock 34 and optic I bet you case of metamucil you would have the time of your life and go golly gees I been missing out..

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Used to shoot state f-class tr mid & long range, midwest regional, shot f-class national once when Lodi hosted it. Was a hoot shooting with and rubbing elbows with some of the big names in the sport.

These days it's all local gun club just for fun 22 rimfire steel silhouette, 5 stand clays, sporting clays, trap now and then. Haven't shot the clubs bullseye league in years. That was fun too.

GOA
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I've done lots of competitive shooting sports.

PPC, CAS, Mounted CAS, Master Gunfighter competitions, open bullseye rifle and pistol, trap when younger, and used to hit the Turkey Shoot circuit quite a bit.. (You'd be surprised how many there are and how much prizes and cash you can get)

Used to do a wild west show, trick shooting off my horse. Got paid pretty well to do that, and stayed pretty booked up. That was fun. Wish I were that young and able again... wink

Only did a couple of hunting contests. First was the World Coyote contest and then a hog contest. Really didn't care too much for either... I think I'll stick to hunting for enjoyment only.

Won several titles in some the categories above, silver and gold buckles, cash, guns, turkeys, hams, ammo, and such.

Still enjoy shooting, but really would rather just shoot at my private range here at the ranch.

Resident "quiet" badazz.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I was pretty active in bowling pin shoots while in college in SLO California. The recently deceased Aaron Hogue was a fellow competitor and FFL for my two pin guns.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Shot NRA small bore 3 and 4 position, air rifle, highpower, indoor and outdoor handgun, trap, USPSA, PPC, CBAS, was an NRA instructor in rifle, pistol, and shotgun, A USPSA range officer.So yes I have competed forgot outdoor prone

Last edited by blanket; 10/17/22.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I shot Small Bore and High Power Rifle Silhouette for over 20 years. Az, Calif, NM, Texas, Colorado, PA, and MO. Generally didn't do to well at the Nationals, but I took my class in HP HR in 2000. Shot a Regional in MO 9 times, took 1 second and 7 3rd places, I won 6 State Championships, 1 SB and 5 HP. Combined I have enough 2nds and thirds to make Phil Mickelson proud.

Now I play with a shotgun, sporting clays, super sporting and 5 stand. D class with 4 punches. Don't travel with this, just started this past Feb.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Damn Flave nice write up.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Teal

Curious.

Competition requires the ability to concentrate and the desire to better other people.

I have neither.

I'm a pretty good trick shooter.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Now, just doing some NSCA events.

Have shot a few PRS matches, but it's been a while.

Have always thought I'd do three gun one of these years.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

NRA/CMP High Power Rifle

AR-15
Current barrels are Bartlein from CLE
Geissele MK 7 rail, trigger, and scope mount
March 1-4.5 scope

Ok for club matches
Earned my Distinguished Rifleman’s badge at the Texas state high power championship this year
Master classification from CMP and NRA
Broke 490 in a match this year, which was one of my goals.

We get to wear heavy shooting coats in the middle of the summer and if you win you get little or no prize money

Texas Service Rifle championship is in two weeks, last chance to shine this year.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Rimfire Bench Rest
Cast bullet Bench Rest

Usually do quite well in the rimfire version.

Win or lose, scores are listed in the club newsletter.

No prizes, just for fun.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I won a potatoe sack race one time…..

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I used to shoot IHMSA silhouette with a Dan Wesson 357 magnum. I didn't win any matches but I had a good time.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Got bit by the bug in 1977, shot my first what was then called Combat pistol match, using a S&W M39. Year or two later moved to a 1911 and started shooting IPSC.
Attended the World Speed Shooting Championship "Steel Challenge " in 1984 and 1985.
Dropped out of IPSC style shooting in 1992, just couldn't keep pace with equipment race and took up revolver shooting, thinking what more can you do to a revolver except tune the action? Man I was wrong there, but have stuck with it to this day.
Still run the revolver I had Frank Glenn build in 1992, S&W M14, heavy barrel and still wears the Tasco Pro Point I put on it.
Now days I shoot Steel Challenge and NRA action pistol matches, Steel Challenge each run is only 5 hits, and NRA action pistol stages have reloads after each six shots thru a stage. I'm good to go as long as I don't miss, or just miss once.
Not as good as when I was a young man, but who is? I usually place in the top five at local matches,so I can still run with the young hot hands, and they get a kick out of the old fart with a six shot revolver keeping them honest.
93 and 94 placed in top 10 in the world at the International Revolver Championships, that was the best I was.. all down hill from there, but still love shooting, and enjoy being around other shooters.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

194 members (35WhelenNut, 450yukon, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 2ndwind, 29 invisible), 2,941 guests, and 975 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,643
Posts18,533,634
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.