Home
Dad's working on another possible Pebble car. The owner won best in class this year with the 1938 Packard my Dad did and wants to go back this next year. Pretty dope. Nevermind the Pimp.

Lot's of blue!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Look at the size of those...... bell bottoms! LOL
Three carbs but the middle one had a smaller intake. Not sure why. Factory air raises and lowers the top and the suspension. Dad was glad when he saw the car squat down. He'll be in and out of this thing for the next 3-4 weeks.
Speaker in the rear seat.

I was by a few weeks ago when Dad was rebuilding the armrest. The shop lost a few pieces and he had to redesign the whole thing.
Who's the freak in the plaid pants?
Originally Posted by kolofardos

Did you picture me differently?
I always appreciate your dad's work and love the pics!
Originally Posted by Higginez

I did.
Tag.

I did.

LOL

A couple of my musician buddies wanted to come and see it.

The pimp looking dude knows more about old Caddy's than most.
Big Fin. Pimpin. smile
Nice ride, that takes some skill.
Your Pop has some skills.
Thanks for sharing
Originally Posted by Huntz

Yes he does. 63 years or so will make a guy good at what he does. smile

Still don't know how he gets in and out of these cars on his knees with no carpet in em day after day. My ass is whining crawling around in a truck bed on my knees twice a year!
Stylin'!
Bad arse. My favorite year of Caddy.

Still don't know how he gets in and out of these cars on his knees with no carpet in em day after day. My ass is whining crawling around in a truck bed on my knees twice a year!

No schidt. Even on my daughters old speedo kick board, bout half a day gettin off that and I'm done.
Originally Posted by JLimbo

No schidt. Even on my daughters old speedo kick board, bout half a day gettin off that and I'm done.

LOL

Yeah, Dad is the guy that doesn't get novacane for a filling because he has phone calls he's gonna have to return when he gets back to work.
Very nice.

Tuff sombish is what they call old dudes like your Dad.

Thought the Skynyrd tribute band was in town.
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Very nice.

Pink goatie and rose colored specs.

The guy is a legend on the Hammond B3.

Skynyrd wishes they were half as cool. LOL
Nothing pimp about that. That's style.
Very nice.

Dude, I love B3 music, PM me a link to something he's playing on.

And the car..................it's a dream car...................back when Caddys were more than a rebadged Chebby.

Wish I had money and still had my '71 Coupe, that was a cool car too.
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Very nice.

Dude, I love B3 music, PM me a link to something he's playing on.

And the car..................it's a dream car...................back when Caddys were more than a rebadged Chebby.

Wish I had money and still had my '71 Coupe, that was a cool car too.

He has toured all over but not sure what records he has played on. I'll have to find out for you.

I've heard my Dad tell this story my whole life about a 40's Caddy.

Dad was born 1945 in Las Vegas. Him and his best buddy Happy would cut school and go help/hang out in the upholstery shop. One day some fool drives up in a 40's Caddy, opens the door to get out and the car leans WAY hard as that big old door opens.

Fella says "I've been winning at the silver dollar slots and been dropping my winnings in the window slit. Can you take off the door panel and retrieve my winnings?"

Dad says the door panel was about to burst!

Grandpa Frank "Sure, no problem!"

Fella says, "I'm gonna go across the street and grab some lunch. I'll be back in a few."

The story goes Frank closed the shop door as the guy left, removed the door panel, and proceeded to litter the shop floor with Silver Dollars. Said they had coins stacked up behind everything imagineable. Behind paint cans. Behind the sewing machine etc. Couldn't walk without jingling their pockets were so full of this dumbasses winnings.

Guy comes back and sees his pile of coins and is elated! LOL

"How much do I owe you?"

Grandpa Frank, "Oh, $5 I guess."

Schidt.....
Neat Project!... Those seats look OEM, Just as they should... Bet the Chrome $$$ Bill on that thing would Stagger a Horse...
Originally Posted by 7mm_Loco
Neat Project!... Those seats look OEM, Just as they should... Bet the Chrome $$$ Bill on that thing would Stagger a Horse...

$300k car pretty easily.

The passenger side fin chrome isn't there because one of the shops employees tried to force it and mangled it up pretty good.

Schidt happens, but dayum!

$300k car pretty easily.

The passenger side fin chrome isn't there because one of the shops employees tried to force it and mangled it up pretty good.

Schidt happens, but dayum!
Yes... Many people don't realize what it cost to bring a Car to that level... Or how quickly someone unskilled or uncaring can ruin your day and set you back...
Here's a pic of the guys 38 Packard at Pebble. Nice car.

FWIW, my old man kinda laughs because I hold Pebble in high esteem.

It wasn't as prestigious when he had done cars that won the whole thing in the 80's. LOL
Rear end of these cars s awesome. That '38 Packard looks pretty sharp too I might add.
A few more pics

That thing is Boss! Thanks for sharing
Nice fins!
Nuthin' better, really enjoyed seeing the Caddy.

Plz post pics of the finished project.

The Packard's a turd by comparison.

Likely a musician, and they have creative license to wear what the hell ever they want.
Our only contribution is to applaud or not.... much like the rest of life.
Originally Posted by AKA_Spook
Nuthin' better, really enjoyed seeing the Caddy.

Plz post pics of the finished project.

The Packard's a turd by comparison.

A lot changed in America in those 21 years.

No promises on getting pics when it’s finished but I’ll certainly try to get over there and take some.
Saw an interesting YouTube video not long ago describing how GM completely jettisoned their three year design cycle and massively redesigned the '59s after spying on what Chrysler was planning. Those Caddies, and the Buick IMO, definitely stand out as the peak, and the end of an era.
My mother loved her caddy's. My favorites were a 57 two door, and her 59 coupe!
1959 was a great year

Alaska and Hawaii make up the 49th and 50th States

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

Gibson Les Paul

Fender Bassman

Dodgers win the World Series

Ben Hur

Space Race
This thing has been giving my old man fits!

The frame for the top is all out of whack with bent bows and such.

Sent the car back to have them straighten it out.

Top was supplied by the owner (Dad hates when they do this) so a new top is on the way as well.
1959 was a great year

Gibson Les Paul

Fender Bassman

Ben Hur

Space Race

That was in that billy joel song
Originally Posted by slumlord
1959 was a great year

Gibson Les Paul

Fender Bassman

Ben Hur

Space Race

That was in that billy joel song

LOL

Yeah, I guess it was huh?

Likely a musician, and they have creative license to wear what the hell ever they want.
Or they have enough money and hangers on that they’re told whatever they want to hear so are tone deaf and look like jackasses. Steven Tyler.
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76

Or they have enough money and hangers on that they’re told whatever they want to hear so are tone deaf and look like jackasses. Steven Tyler.

LOL

Yeah, that guy don't have any money or even hangers on.

Just a BMF when it comes to music and a style outside the norm.

He's a kick.
This thing has been giving my old man fits!

The frame for the top is all out of whack with bent bows and such.

Sent the car back to have them straighten it out.

Top was supplied by the owner (Dad hates when they do this) so a new top is on the way as well.
"Business as Usual" in the Restoration world... lol
I was by the shop today and the resto shop was picking up an Aston Martin and dropping this back off. They had to work on the frame for the top. Meanwhile, Dad ordered a new top from a trusted vendor.

I snapped the pic as it just looks so weird with the air ride suspension at height. The owner of the resto shop was dropping it off and was telling me the height it's sitting at in the pic was called "service mode" or some such and was for oil changes etc but the weird part is, you can't remove the rear wheels without putting it in "service mode". He also said this car didn't originally have the air system and they bought two original systems to have enough working parts to put in this car.

That Cadillac is almost as big as the edwin fitzgerald
It kinda looks like a pinewood derby car too!
What a great ride, all steel.
When I figure out pics here I’ll post my 59 Catalina, nearly a twin to this caddie.
Beautiful work your dad does.

Osky

Elton John.
Bet the Chrome $$$ Bill on that thing would Stagger a Horse...

So, when we were looking at this car, my buddy in the cowboy hat was saying Neil Young has one of these that got side swiped and took out the whole passenger side. Apparently, the only thing that he couldn't replace was that chrome piece running from the fin to the windshield. Says Biarritz right under the mirror.

Talking with the resto shop owner today, I mentioned it. He said the chrome is being reman'd now, but you gotta buy the whole package for $12k!

This car has all original chrome but was missing the Eldorado on the back. Said it was $2k just for the one strip with lettering.

Yikes!
Yikes indeed! lol... A friend of mine asked me where to get the rear bumper for his 73 Trans am Chromed recently... Not bent, dented or rusty, just dull with light oxidation... I sent him to "The Chrome Shop" a local place here in N.E. WI that i've been using for yrs... The estimate was $9-1200 for that skinny little bumper bar... Chrome plating has always been expensive (mostly because of the prep labor) but apparently it has skyrocketed the last few yrs... I've been half assed looking for a 71 Riviera lately to replace the one i had when i was 16... I found a 71 GS Rivvy in Indiana recently but passed on it after estimating the Chrome work... Damn, The wholesale cost on the GM chrome trim i replaced on mine back in the late 70's was less than $200 i think...
Maybe it’s time to learn how to diy chrome plating. LOL
Took a few more pics of the interior.

My god the trunk is huge!

Minimum 10 DHU rating on that trunk.
Higgins’s,

Good on your old man for keeping the light burning. Amazing work he’s doing.

My dad loved his 4 door Caddys. I want to say that his first was a ‘63, that he eventually traded for a ‘68 Lincoln Continental. Then he bought my mom a ‘70 SdV while he drove a frickin Cutlass that was the trade for the Lincoln. He eventually picked up another ‘64 Sedan de Ville and drove that until he got into Nissan pickups…

I never drove the ‘63, but the 472 in the ‘70 would burn a tire forever. There was too much mass, not enough traction, and an open diff. Pump up the tires in the ‘64 to 45 psi, and it would kinda almost not be a pig in the corners. But the ‘68 Lincoln was the shiznit. 460 cubes of Ford goodness, suicide doors… I honestly wouldn’t mind finding one to just fool around with even now.
Minimum 10 DHU rating on that trunk.

DHU?
Cmon man
Dead hooker capacity

Holds 9 in the trunk

One in the ash tray
What’s the U for?
Units
Dead hooker capacity

Holds 9 in the trunk

One in the ash tray

And a watermelon in the glove box!
Units?

What kinda hookers you haulin with units?
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76

When I saw Aerosmith in 1972-73 ? He was wearing a leopard print leotard with tail. And he was a screaming demon as was the band. Outdoor concert with, I think, Gary Wright, Humble Pie, others.
I think 59 is pretty much the pinnacle of the tailfins era. 59 Impala versus 58 or 60, for example. But what a boat.

Laughin' grin
The quintessential "Joo-canoe"..
That thing is as long as a whore's dream.

My first car was a 59 chebby. It always stood out in a crowd. Kinda miss that car. My dad sold it so I could afford my college entrance fees & first quarter tuition. frown
Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin
That thing is as long as a whore's dream.

LOL.

Never heard that one before.
I enjoy these picture posts of your Dad's artisanship and his projects with cool cars, Higgz.
Always a welcome respite.

And I dig Huggy Bear's bell bottoms.

Let me know the name of your band.
Originally Posted by Morewood
I enjoy these picture posts of your Dad's artisanship and his projects with cool cars, Higgz.

Thanks man. Yeah, it's a nice break from some of the craziness around here and honestly, kind of a way to catalog and remember some of the stuff Dad is working on these days.

I've done a few gigs with a band called Walk On Boulevard in the last month. Old friend of mine and his 22 yo son put it together. College party band kinda thing. It's been pretty fun.

Guy in the cowboy hat is the real deal and has played with some big names. We used to have a country band called The Poachers until we all started popping out kids.

It’s great.

People with that type of mechanical ability, as well as the art of making things look good, always amaze me.

I’ve done plenty of work on my own vehicles, but to completely restore and fabricate things that need to be done is another world

Respect!
I'd just like to make a point of saying Dad isn't restoring these cars, just doing the upholstery.

The shops sending him these cars are a few hours away and do world class work.

The Aston Martin restos they are doing are doubling the value of the cars.

Pretty impressive.
Cmon man
Dead hooker capacity

Holds 9 in the trunk

One in the ash tray

Good to see a man that can still recite the classics.
Wow. What a ride. Silver is my color.
If that’s you in the picture, let me roast a fatty and buy you a beer. Pimp asz ride. Your pops
is skilled.
Cmon man
Dead hooker capacity

Holds 9 in the trunk

One in the ash tray

Good to see a man that can still recite the classics.
Lol….. a bit cleaned up but yeah. 2 in the front 3 in
back and a 100 in the ashtray.🤪

Thanks man. Yeah, it's a nice break from some of the craziness around here and honestly, kind of a way to catalog and remember some of the stuff Dad is working on these days.

I've done a few gigs with a band called Walk On Boulevard in the last month. Old friend of mine and his 22 yo son put it together. College party band kinda thing. It's been pretty fun.

Guy in the cowboy hat is the real deal and has played with some big names. We used to have a country band called The Poachers until we all started popping out kids.

Oh yeah? I like music. Tell me via pm when you’re gonna go rock. I’m down. I’d be honored to see you
Jam the guitar. I suck at strumming, but I like trying 😂
No s hit. Let’s go.
They have a few things booked in the spring. I’ll give you a heads up.
Have a guy here that has rides like these restoed, he does custom frame off[?] on all of them.
He's a Chebby guy so most are 50's cars and late 40's trucks.
He also has done some others like a 47 Jag Mark IV Saloon.
Everything gets a crated Z0 engine/trans combo.

He lets me stroll through his garage on occasion, I just walk around in amazement.

He also has a 74 Corvette with 27 miles on it.
Originally Posted by Raeford
Have a guy here that has rides like these restoed, he does custom frame off[?] on all of them.

He lets me stroll through his garage on occasion, I just walk around in amazement.

A 74 Vette with only 27 miles on it?

The guys pecker musta started working again! LOL
Originally Posted by Raeford

A 74 Vette with only 27 miles on it?

The guys pecker musta started working again! LOL

A former dealer took it home the day it arrived on the lot and parked it.
It was sitting in an old wooden shed.
The only issue was one wheel had some corrosion, old guy said he thought a dog of his had peed on it years back.
Just across the state line in West Virginia.
I went with his son to pick it up and haul back here.
It's crazy, original old yellowed labels still on the hoses etc
Family friend had an Edsal like that. Pa had parked it in a barn and ended up building walls around it. Sheetrock and everything, couldn't even see it except from the outside where a board had fallen down.
Dads still fighting this one. Third top and looks like this one is going to work.
I'll bet that top wasn't cheap!
It’s the labor that’s expensive.
It’s the labor that’s expensive.

That too, I imagine.

Had gravel break a back window on a Mustang convertible once, years ago. Had a small back window that was real glass. I thought it wouldn't cost much, and rather than use the comprehensive, I'd just get it fixed. After calling around and getting pretty much the same $3500 estimate, I decided to let insurance cover that...
Well, this one isn’t going to Pebble. At least not this year.
Very COOL!

When I hit the lottery that is the exact car I’d buy Dad. That’s Dad’s favorite year of Cadillac and since Dad is a Cadillac guy he’d be in hog heaven.

Your dad definitely has the skills to gett’er done. 👍🏼
© 24hourcampfire