Home
Say you had some guns you wanted to offload. Nothing special or collectible.

If you wanted to go through your LGS, what have you guys had the best experience with?

Consigning or selling outright to the LGS?
Sell them here in the classifieds and don't pay 20% commission or get 60% value at the LGS.
Originally Posted by BALLISTIK
Sell them here in the classifieds and don't pay 20% commission or get 60% value at the LGS.

Yep.
If you’re not interested in selling them yourself. Consignment by a long shot over just selling them direct to a LGS.
You could sell them to your friends or their kids.

I wouldn't prick around with some LGS or gunbroker.
If you're going to take 20-25% off the sell price, take it to a GunShow ...............

MY LGS will drop $80K buying people out, I helped him unload his pickup after one of those deals, back seat was full, and the bed had them stacked in like cord wood...

He would likely take one of mine on consignment, or co-insignment for the grammatically challenged, but he has more 'work' in a consignment gun and a LOT less money coming out, than one that he owns....

YMMV
Originally Posted by Brazos

Yep.
đź‘Ť
Auction house.
Okay, we've got one vote in favor of consignment, one in favor of selling outright and everybody else preferred not to answer the question.

Thanks, guys.
IF one of the two, consignment by a landslide
Consign of the options. www.louisianasportsman.com is a great way to sell guns here in LA.

https://app.louisianasportsman.com/...ction=list_ads&cat=HU&subcat=HU3
Originally Posted by Brazos

Yep.
This right here answers your question.

15%-20% consignment fee and dealer pays for the ads and shipping. It’s the easy button and the way to go IMO.
OK....

To get the most money, maybe, consignment...

Be aware, it's a 'Transfer' onto his books.... if, for some reason they don't sell, or you want them back it's also a Transfer and background check back to you....
Originally Posted by Muffin
OK....

Be aware, it's a 'Transfer' onto his books.... if, for some reason they don't sell, or you want them back it's also a Transfer and background check back to you....

yep. I've "bought" the same gun 3 times now because it didn't sell on consignment, Which is pure BS in my opinion.
Typically the dealer ask for a number of days for him to sell them on consignment and the seller agrees to a specified number. The dealer prices accordingly or starts at a penny bid with a given number of days until the closing bid. Buying them back if I didn’t want them to begin with wouldn’t be a concern. The dealer is motivated to sell them to make his commission.
OK....

That varies by state.
If you have to ask, you’re gonna take it in the ass.

Sorry.
Different terms at different LGSs. The one I use, better off consigning,if you are not in a hurry to sell. Having said that, you need to be reasonable about the price you set for the consignment. At my LGS, the seller sets the price, likely with input from the LGS. Then the LGS adds $50 or so, depending on the value of the gun. That’s his commission. He does quite a bit of consignment.
The LGS's by me - don't think I've ever seen a consignment so I don't think they take them.
Consignment is a bonus for the shop. It allows them to display inventory without any capital investment.
If you sell to the shop outright, you will do good to get half the fair market value. Most shops, but not all.
I bought and sold used guns for a Pawnshop for three years. I'm not guessing at this.
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
OK....

That varies by state.

I could be wrong, I'm often wrong, it's part of my charm BUT.....

If an FFL is selling I'm thinking it needs to be on his books, and he can't just hand it back to you if it doesn't work out.....
Was just at one of my LGS (don't deal there because if their practices, was looking for donations for a benefit for one of their regular customers I work with..). Watched them buy a Bergera Rifle with scope (stock had adjustable cheek piece, not sure much else) AND a Remington 870 matte synthetic from a guy for $600.....

Another vote to list them here first. Costs you nothing, give it a week or so and you'll know of they are gonna sell, if not then you xan pursue other options.
Originally Posted by Chumleyhunts
Was just at one of my LGS (don't deal there because if their practices, was looking for donations for a benefit for one of their regular customers I work with..). Watched them buy a Bergera Rifle with scope (stock had adjustable cheek piece, not sure much else) AND a Remington 870 matte synthetic from a guy for $600.....

Another vote to list them here first. Costs you nothing, give it a week or so and you'll know of they are gonna sell, if not then you xan pursue other options.
Which is again why to sell on consignment. The more you get for it the more that they get for it.

Absolute top dollar means knowing exactly what you have and putting them up for sale on niche sites. Rimfire Central ect, ect.
Consignment for me has almost always worked out. I pay 12% . The thief gunstore around the corner charges 30 % and doesn't even list the gun on broker.
Or list on Gunbroker...
You take a big hit on Gunbroker. Lately, guns sell fast. Almost too fast to post here.
Both of my LGS's charge 10-15% to consign and it would be the way I would go if selling. Almost every firearm I have purchased over the past few years have been consignment ones. The seller sets the price and they are sold local so no shipping to deal with.
consignment is fine but you'll lose up to 20% depending on who you use. I just sold several on consignment high end guns made quite a bit of money due to the prices rising so much. But if I sold them myself I would have made more of course, to busy right now selling my home and down sizing so consignment worked in my situation. Another thing to consider if your selling online is shipping its high have too take that into consideration also. Good Luck
One of the benefits of a consignment sale is that you don't have to pay for shipping, you don't have the hassle of boxing/packaging and finding a shipper, you don't have to worry about lost or damaged shipments, you don't have to worry about a potentially jerk buyer and you don't have to worry about being ripped off.
I'd say it depends on how big of a hurry you are in, how much hassle you are willing do deal with and if you are looking to get top dollar or are willing to sell 'reasonably'. If your local shop will consign for $50/gun, then that is probably the quickest, easiest and safest.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
One of the benefits of a consignment sale is that you don't have to pay for shipping, you don't have the hassle of boxing/packaging and finding a shipper, you don't have to worry about lost or damaged shipments, you don't have to worry about a potentially jerk buyer and you don't have to worry about being ripped off.

This ^^^^^^ Our lgs get's a 20% commission and for that all you have do do is drop off the gun and do a little paperwork on the spot. For me, it's worth avoiding the hassle and headaches. For their commission, they're providing a secure, brick and mortar location that gets a lot of traffic from people interested in buying guns. Right now, over 40% of the inventory they have is consignment stuff.
You take a big hit on Gunbroker..
Not really.. Compared to consignment - it's cheap.
Originally Posted by Redneck

Top dollar for most of the stuff that sells here is going to come from gunbroker. It’s the eBay of the gun world and it has the most eyes/most exposure.
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by Redneck

Top dollar for most of the stuff that sells here is going to come from gunbroker. It’s the eBay of the gun world and it has the most eyes/most exposure.

Not sure what you mean by top dollar stuff that sells here coming from gunbroker?? Regardless, this site is good to sell on sometimes, but never expect to get top dollar out of your stuff here.. Sometimes your stuff sells for ridiculous prices on gunbroker, which more than makes up for anything you think you may have "lost", or "took a hit on", what every the f that means. I don't take a hit on any of my rifles... It's really not going to happen. Selling through consignment has it's pros though. Like someone else said, you don't have to worry about much when having a shop sell it for you. Here we don't get raked over the coals either. 10% to the shop and that is it. Unlike some of these other guys getting fd over with 20% to the seller. One thing that I don't like about gunbroker recently (last year or so) is they have been charging buyers taxes. The good ol IRS may be able to use that against you too, if you do not claim it on your taxes.
© 24hourcampfire