Home
Posted By: Ky221 If you were buying a new truck. - 11/04/22
Thinking of getting a new pickup but not real sure what direction I want to go. I tend to favor a Ford and that's what I have now. (2018 f150 with the 3.5 V6 ecoboost). Torn between another f150, or maybe just keeping mine......also the local dealership has a new v6 2022 Tacoma in a manual transmission that seems to be calling my name. I'm just not sure if I want to go down to that small of a pickup. It's just the wife and I and we don't have kids so it might be fine. Don't do a lot of heavy pulling, just a small jon boat from time to time and a lawnmower 2-3x a week. I don't keep up with the latest engines and transmissions and who has what; so I'm curious to hear what you guys would spring for if buying a new pickup and why.
I keep what I have till the wheels fall. Screw that depreciation, higher insurance rate, higher registration fees.
Save the standard transmission! Buy the manual Taco….
The Taco, despite being smaller, is 10x more truck than any F150 ever built.
If the Taco is too small for your needs, look at the work fleet options
I too would keep what I have, at least for another 18 months. My duck hunting bud owns a combo dealership, as in he sells gmc, chev, dodge and a couple more. He's told me prices are high because he can get em. I'd wait. Ymmv
I bought a 4WD 2020 GMC Sierra Crew Cab with the small V8.So far it's good. I had a Ford 4WD F150 for my state issued truck and I found it terribly uncomfortable to make a day in. I notice the farmers and cattlemen around here buy GMC/Chev or Dodge to pull trailers with. I had thought about getting a Toyota but I change my own oil and they have that awful cartridge instead of a spin on. And I had heard Toyota was bad on fuel economy. I know my old 2005 V8 Toyota Tundra does good to get 12 MPG but that is mostly pasture miles.
Don't know how old you are BUT - manual Taco will last you 300k miles. 20 years? What do you think your options will be in even 5?

All electric BS.

Get the Taco and run a real vehicle as long as possible. I have one, will do everything you ask of the Ford easily.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I've got a new taco. Love it. Lame gas mileage, filter cartridge is a pita, but neither is why I bought it.
I wouldn’t buy one now.
I have an 05 Dodge diesel 4x4 6 SPD manual. Bought it in 06 when I started sawmilling full time. Rusty. +200K miles. Way more truck than I need. But it is paid for. It doesn’t eat anything, most of the time. As above, my plan is to drive the wheels off of it.

I would love to have a Taco. But can’t see paying the prices they are bringing when I have a perfectly functional truck in the driveway.
I would wait to buy one these days because the price is so inflated now.

As for what make to get get them to let you drive one and see if you like it.
Originally Posted by Teal
Don't know how old you are BUT -

Last till you're 51 easy
Tundra if ya got a boat or camp trailer, taco if ya don’t. I won’t buy anything but yotas 👊🏻
I can think of 50,000+ reasons why I'll keep driving my 2006 F-250 diesel.
Originally Posted by Judman
Tundra if ya got a boat or camp trailer, taco if ya don’t. I won’t buy anything but yotas 👊🏻

Wife has a 21 Tundra TRD Pro.....
Ram 2500 diesel 4x4
I picked up a 22 Tacoma in June after getting out of a 16 f250. I love the Tacoma. Have put almost 9k on it already by doing trips to Montana to shoot pdogs, a few trips up north to fish and just getting back from a Wyoming hunt by way on Montana and ND on way home. 3 ppl in truck on the big trip.

Once ya get used to it, it makes a lot of sense, for a hunting truck and fishing truck. I bought it because they last a long time and don’t seem to rust out as bad here in our Midwest winters. My 16 ford had rust bulled @3 years old. Not very impressed
If I was buying a new small sized pickup I think that would be a good choice. I've never owned anything nearly that new, so there's a lot of hypothetical in all of my thoughts about it. I just wait until they're out of warranty and a whole lot cheaper, but it's your money, so spend it how you like.
Originally Posted by Ky221

Love mine Gary
If I had the money and the need to buy new it will be a Tundra 4x4 hands down. If I needed it to be a dually it would be a Dodge.

Tacomas are cute but why not, for an extra couple k get the fullsized Tundra a big boy toy!
I buy used proven rides. Have not had a vehicle payment since 1988.
Originally Posted by MPat70
If I had the money and the need to buy new it will be a Tundra 4x4 hands down. If I needed it to be a dually it would be a Dodge.

Tacomas are cute but why not, for an extra couple k get the fullsized Tundra a big boy toy!

I got the loaded Tacoma (not a Pro but Off Road, moon roof, leather, LEDs and tech package) for MSRP.

Low level Tundra is 10k+ more. Not as well optioned at all.

Or both. Have an ‘03 Tacoma for beatin mountain roads and a tundra crew TRD limited for everything else.
Old lady driving an ‘18 land cruiser.

Out of necessity own a bunch of domestic 150, 2500, 3500, 4500, 6500 class trucks only because Toyota doesn’t have a viable alternative.
You're a man after my own heart.
I'd wait until the SHTF and the prices drop.
A new truck loaded out, cost-wise would buy 28 1956 Ford Fairlane 500 with A/C!

This is how bad things are F UCKED UP!!
Won't ever buy a new truck since 1994
Have you driven a Tacoma? Not a comfortable truck for me.
You have a 2018, and want a new truck... but don't know what you want? Am I the only one confused?
Originally Posted by BALLISTIK
You have a 2018, and want a new truck... but don't know what you want? Am I the only one confused?

I agree. I would drive that 2018 Ford until the wheels fall off.
I have never understood the obsession with Toyotas?
Originally Posted by ridgerunner_ky

Ya got that right.

All vehicles last longer than they used to. And many that have more power, comfort, payload, & get better mileage. crazy

Cost? Who the hell knows at this particular time.
Originally Posted by gunzo

Ya got that right.

All vehicles last longer than they used to. And many that have more power, comfort, payload, & get better mileage. crazy

Cost? Who the hell knows at this particular time.
Agree..
Manual Tacoma no brainer!

No Taco for me. I went with more horsepower, more torque, front AND rear lockers, better suspension, better underbody protection, and at least for me a much better cab layout and better-looking truck - a Colorado ZR2.
As much as I like Toyotas and I've owned a BUNCH in the past, the Tacoma leaves a lot to be desired...Poor gas milage, limited towing capacity, limited cargo and passenger room etc. etc.

For small/midsize trucks I agree with JOG, a Chevy Colorado ZR2 is a much better truck than a Taco.

I'd keep your F150
Unless I was really well off or owned a business and could write it off, I’d rather put Mr. Winky in a panini press than buy a new truck now; or a car either for that matter. I get that some need reliable rides to get to work, but laying out that kind of cash just to scratch an itch seems like a major blunder. If you have a reliable truck now, enjoy it. Buy the wife something nice.

Yea you and Wilkes seem to be pretty much the only ones confused. Couldn't imagine being so bum fizzled by a question so simple.

I have a 2018 f150, I have a buddy who is manager of a dealership that has always been very fair and straight with me. They have two trucks that I'm interested in. A new 22 f150 and the Tacoma. I had it narrowed down pretty well to these two. But before I drop $$$ on a new ride I figured I'd see what others have to say, and what the general consensus seems to be.

Now explain to me what's so hard to comprehend about that?
Withdrawn.
The Fire is an interesting place.

At 9am its "Honk for Joey, inflation is through the roof. Milk's gonna be a 100 a gallon. We're gonna collapse financially to the Weimar level of inflation"

At 10am its "I'm not spending money on a truck - I'll wait for prices to come down"

Which is it? Prices will come down or we're looking at 1000 dollar big macs?
Thinking of getting a new pickup but not real sure what direction I want to go. I tend to favor a Ford and that's what I have now. (2018 f150 with the 3.5 V6 ecoboost). Torn between another f150, or maybe just keeping mine......also the local dealership has a new v6 2022 Tacoma in a manual transmission that seems to be calling my name. I'm just not sure if I want to go down to that small of a pickup. It's just the wife and I and we don't have kids so it might be fine. Don't do a lot of heavy pulling, just a small jon boat from time to time and a lawnmower 2-3x a week. I don't keep up with the latest engines and transmissions and who has what; so I'm curious to hear what you guys would spring for if buying a new pickup and why.

Whole lot of sensors on anything new...

Who do you trust more to get 50 quality built sensors right/legit?

Ford or Toyota?

...and that is just the sensors.

At 9am its "Honk for Joey, inflation is through the roof. Milk's gonna be a 100 a gallon. We're gonna collapse financially to the Weimar level of inflation"

At 10am its "I'm not spending money on a truck - I'll wait for prices to come down"

ROFLMAO...

Nice one Teal!
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
I wouldn’t buy one now.
Ditto...
Originally Posted by CashisKing

ROFLMAO...

Nice one Teal!

I'm just saying....

Close your eyes - now envision Mad Max. Envision The Walking Dead. Envision every movie you've ever seen about bad dudes in 3rd world crap holes or a dystopian future. What are those guys driving for technicals to survive? I'm guessing you envision a Toyota of some sort - Taco/Hilux etc. Not a Colorado, not a Ranger, not a Silverado. A Toyota.

IF that's our future as a country in the next few years - what do you want? The truck that Luke Bryant drives or the truck that the Taliban/Somali pirates/African warlords drive? Do you legitimately think that not buying a new truck of any stripe is gonna save you in a coming economic collapse? If its a real collapse, destruction of the dollar as a reserve currency and Weimar level inflation - it's not gonna make you materially better off than the guy in a new ride. And depending on just how bad it gets - I'll take my chances fighting the hords from a Tacoma Technical than most any other.

grin YMMV
I have a 2007 Tacoma and a 2014 F150 in the driveway. Both are 4X4 crew cabs. I like the older Tacoma with 230,000 miles better and at this point no longer need a full-size truck. I'm considering selling the Ford and putting money towards upgrading the Tacoma. Maybe getting a small used car that gets 35 mpg for daily driving too.

If I were buying a new truck today, I'd look hard at the new Ford Ranger. My brother and a neighbor have 2020's and my wife drives a 2020 Explorer with the same engine and transmission. It has WAY more power than Tacoma, is rated to tow 1000 lbs more than Tacoma and has about 500 lbs more payload. It gets better fuel mileage and costs less too.

That doesn't mean I'd necessarily choose Ranger over Tacoma. But I'd look very hard at both before making up my mind. If I were buying today, I'd be on the fence. I honestly don't know which way I'd go. Toyota is supposed to introduce a new 4th gen Tacoma soon. I might wait to see what they do. In your shoes I might look for a good late model used 2nd gen Tacoma. I really like the 2nd gens better than the current 3rd get trucks.

But I'd not buy a NEW Tacoma with the manual. The manual in this truck is not a good match with the new 3.5L engine. These engines need 4600 rpm to reach max torque. Back in the old days when trucks got their torque at 2000-3000 rpm and manuals had very low gears in 1st and reverse manuals made sense. Try backing a trailer or making slow maneuvers with a manual combined with an engine needing that much engine speed to develop power. This is a major complaint among those who have them. The torque converter in the automatic eliminates the issue. And there are Tacoma's with automatics that have gone 1.5 million miles and are still working.

That engine/transmission combo would work great in a sports car. But if you need to haul, tow, or do work with the truck get an automatic.
If you keep them for 15 years like I do - Toyota Tundra… but the mileage is going to suck…. BUT it costs the same as replacing a turbo or getting a second truck.

If you only keep them 7 years or less - get the Ford eco boost… all good
Your current truck is a 2018 and you want a new one. You must have money burning a hole in your pocket.
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Your current truck is a 2018 and you want a new one. You must have money burning a hole in your pocket.

Young folks! laugh

When I was younger I kept finding an excuse to get new pickup.

Now I hope I never need a new one... The one I have works just fine, and I like it just fine. wink
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by Jeffrey

Young folks! laugh

When I was younger I kept finding an excuse to get new pickup.

Now I hope I never need a new one... The one I have works just fine, and I like it just fine. wink

I’m right there with ya, only I’m in my mid 30s and my truck is a 2007 F-150 I bought with 3,000 miles on it in 2007. Haven’t had a car payment since 2009. Wife and I will pay off our house and have absolutely no debt by 2024 if we still have a functioning economy by that time.
Next truck I buy will be with cash.

[quote=Ky221]

Since you have a truck in the driveway, get a 4Runner.
I always had a truck, now I have the 4Runner and a nice aluminum trailer, and life is better.

Longevity........dependability......simple

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I'd wait a year until the floor drops out of the economy. Then there will be good deals to be had.

This almost guarantees neither will happen, but you for damn sure ain't gonna get both. We had high inflation in the 1970's and 1980's which leveled off but nominal prices never returned to levels in the 50's and 60's.

Toyota makes a real and genuine effort to build a quality and worry free product... IMHO

My 2011 Ram 3500 is down now with a bad 3 prong fuse... Seriously... who does stupid chit like adding weird ass fuses. Every other fuse is 2 blade or something else odd/weird (gotta build a kit now... fugging Mopar stupidity to garner service repairs is all I can think of).

Ordered a 22 Silverado last May, never got built. Changed to a 23 Silverado late July. Have no idea when it will get built.
Trading in a 19 Silverado.
Son has a Tacoma, very nice but too small for me.
Looked at Tundra, gas mileage sucks and new motor with reported issues.
Ford, been there, done that and learned my lesson.
Dodge, just no.
Close your eyes - now envision Mad Max. Envision The Walking Dead. Envision every movie you've ever seen about bad dudes in 3rd world crap holes or a dystopian future. What are those guys driving for technicals to survive? I'm guessing you envision a Toyota of some sort - Taco/Hilux etc. Not a Colorado, not a Ranger, not a Silverado. A Toyota.

Hooray for Hollywood.

In real life, the US Army went with the Colorado ZR2.

ZR2 Infantry Vehicle
Originally Posted by JOG

ZR2 Infantry Vehicle

That exudes confidence...

NOT
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter

I agree. I would drive that 2018 Ford until the wheels fall off.

Guess he's worried that the wheels will fall off soon.

It is, after all, a Ford. smirk
My Tundra is a 2020 …. Straight 8 cylinder with not booster crud, but it does have some electronic regulation.

BUT .. if you push the “tow mode” button - DAAAMMMNNNN !!!! most call it beast mode..

The engine setup has been around 16 years with Toyota - and they actually fix bugs unlike Ford, Chevy, or Dodge…. So it’s about bullet proof.

Originally Posted by tikkanut

Originally Posted by JOG

Hooray for Hollywood.

ZR2 Infantry Vehicle

Funny - in real life, it's pretty rare to find a veteran who believes "milspec" is "bestspec". I'd not hold up the military as the BEST determiner of quality equipment as a general rule.

This Ain't Hollywood or GM government backscratching.

Know people with ZRs - local dealer has one sitting too. They look neat. Bout it. They've had issues, which isn't to say a Taco won't but they're not a serious - 300k machine. No GM is save a Duramax HD - IMO.
Originally Posted by MPat70

Some guys need a "big boy toy" to validate themselves, some don't.

It gets expensive for those that do. smile

Yep, Silverado 5.3. Up to 426,000 plus now..
Originally Posted by jorgeI

And don’t forget Pearl Harbor!!!

Unfortunately, that is gonna be a rare case with the new 5.3s, new lifter design for the fuel mangement system is causing lifter failures left and right. Not as bad as the 6.2s but the 5.3s arent immune.

I absolutely love my 2020 5.3 at4, but the engine issues are always in the back of my mind.
Originally Posted by CashisKing

ROFLMAO...

Nice one Teal!

I'm just saying....

IF that's our future as a country in the next few years - what do you want? The truck that Luke Bryant drives or the truck that the Taliban/Somali pirates/African warlords drive? Do you legitimately think that not buying a new truck of any stripe is gonna save you in a coming economic collapse? If its a real collapse, destruction of the dollar as a reserve currency and Weimar level inflation - it's not gonna make you materially better off than the guy in a new ride. And depending on just how bad it gets - I'll take my chances fighting the hords from a Tacoma Technical than most any other.

grin YMMV

Couldn't resist..... grin

Yup .... I've been driving a Taco for going on 15yrs. Problem free.

I can't afford to be fixing the issues I see on our full sized work trucks.
Originally Posted by killerv

Unfortunately, that is gonna be a rare case with the new 5.3s, new lifter design for the fuel mangement system is causing lifter failures left and right. Not as bad as the 6.2s but the 5.3s arent immune.

I absolutely love my 2020 5.3 at4, but the engine issues are always in the back of my mind.

I heard about this and witnessed it. Neighbor's brand new Silverado crapped out with less than 10K miles.
Have a 04' Tahoe-5.3, 188K miles

Tried once but couldn't bring myself to let it go.
I've been looking at new pickups, too.

So far, I haven't seen anything, from any maker, that I like better than what I'm driving now, my '16 Frontier. The seating position is more comfortable for my bad back than anything else I've driven, including the wife's new RAV4. I do like the RAV4, but I still feel cramped in it, and I expect that the Tacomas would be the same.
I wish I could still get a bench-seated pickup with an automatic on the column, but those days are long gone. My mileage isn't all that good, 18 or 19 around town, maybe 21-22 on the highway, with the big 4 liter 6 banger. The newest Frontiers are cramped in the driver's seat, too, and have a smaller engine with the same mileage, though the HP is up a bit. Somehow, it isn't a good fit for me.

I guess I'll keep the '16 until it croaks, or until someone makes something I like. Or not.
Last till you're 51 easy

Buy the taco. If or when you guys have kids, by the time they are old enough to need more room, you won’t be upside down from your purchase. ford/Or govt motors….you never know.
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
My mileage isn't all that good, 18 or 19 around town, maybe 21-22 on the highway, with the big 4 liter 6 banger.

That's what I'm getting with my 3.5 Taco - granted I only have 1k on it and expect some loosening up yet but not really lol.
Originally Posted by Raeford
Have a 04' Tahoe-5.3, 188K miles

Tried once but couldn't bring myself to let it go.

Have my '02 Chevy 2500HD crew in garage now with 138K miles

Bought new May '02......6.0L gasser

Been a good truck.......has lead a garage stored/pampered life

What size cab are you looking for? Small trucks are cozy and cool until you go grocery shopping in the rain. If this will be your only vehicle strongly advise against the manual trans. All it takes is one arm, leg, or knee injury to sideline your driving.
Both brands are good. Just depends on your own preferences and budget.
I'd keep running the 2018 F150 a while longer and see what happens with the auto market next year. If you are just bored with it, throw some upgrades at it like a leather interior or some newer wheels off of a high-trim model. Still a lot cheaper than buying a replacement truck.
Originally Posted by killerv

I heard about this and witnessed it. Neighbor's brand new Silverado crapped out with less than 10K miles.

People are buying fuel management deletes but the lifters are still the same, i think it just prolongs the inevitable. When they switch back to 8 cylinders from 4 there isnt enough oil cylinder and things go south. You can also drive in L9 instead, the fuel management doesnt go into affect until 10 gear I'm told and I think all 8 cylinders stay active in trailer mode to but could be wrong.
Know people with ZRs - local dealer has one sitting too. They look neat. Bout it

Bout it, except for those nagging more horsepower, more torque, front AND rear lockers, better suspension, better underbody protection, and at least for me a much better cab layout and better-looking truck things.

I definitely give a nod to reliability, and kudos to those that value it above all else.
New? We bought a 2019.
Originally Posted by MAC
I can think of 50,000+ reasons why I'll keep driving my 2006 F-250 diesel.
Good point I can see about 75000 reasons to keep driving my 2005 F250 diesel.
Be sure to ask the Toyota dealership for your complimentary mouthpiece. Your teeth will thank you.
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
A new truck loaded out, cost-wise would buy 28 1956 Ford Fairlane 500 with A/C!

This is how bad things are F UCKED UP!!
Really? Prices shouldn't have changed with the evolution of cars and trucks? This place never disappoints.

You da man Teal.
I had a 2018 GMC Sierra extended cab that was starting to need $$ put into it so I decided to trade rides. I have always either owned General Motors or Ford products and couldn't find any local dealerships with inventory that fit my needs. I test drove a Ram quad cab and liked it so I traded. I have owned it about 2 months and so far really like it. Much smoother and quieter than my 4 year old GMC was. Gas mileage isn't bad either since I decided to get the etorque 6. Plenty of power to tow my boats and overall gas mileage runs 2 - 3 MPG better than the GMC. Time will tell how it works out though but so far thumbs up.
Toyota makes great vehicles! They haven't made a 3/4 ton or 1 ton, that they import to the US. That leaves them out of consideration for many, that actually work their pickups. If you want semi comfort, and little payload, Toyota is the best around. Just my experience!
Originally Posted by Whelenman

And don’t forget Pearl Harbor!!!

I certainly agree with this, but the unions support modern day communists, which are the present enemy.
Originally Posted by Terryk
[quote=Judman]Tundra if ya got a boat or camp trailer, taco if ya don’t. I won’t buy anything but yotas 👊🏻

I always had a truck, now I have the 4Runner and a nice aluminum trailer, and life is better.

We traded our 21 4-Runner Nightshade for the 21 Tundra Pro.

We have a working cattle farm, the wife and I both use a truck. The 4Runner was nice but it wasn't practical for her.

I went back and test drove the manual Tacoma today. No way on earth I would purchase that truck. Zero Power, Zero space, the only thing that it had going for it was that they look cool. After driving one around town I honestly don't see the appeal. So I'm gonna keep looking for another full size that catches my eye or maybe keep my '18. Haven't decided yet. But I do know the Tacoma is out.

As for the dumbazzes that popped off with the wise cracks about money burning a hole in my pocket and having an 18 and wanting a 2022. I have my reasons for wanting a new truck. Such as...... I have the $ for a new truck, I'd like to have a truck with lower miles, and most of all....I'd just like to have a new truck. I just don't feel like I should be taking financial advice from people who think they need 15 deer rifles and probably still owe on their current vehicle/house/whatever. I hate to come across that way but daaamn people.

To those that gave good information. Whether in favor of one truck or the other. It was very much appreciated.
Originally Posted by Heym06
Toyota makes great vehicles! They haven't made a 3/4 ton or 1 ton, that they import to the US. That leaves them out of consideration for many, that actually work their pickups. If you want semi comfort, and little payload, Toyota is the best around. Just my experience!

have to agree........my first 'Yota was a Celica GT back in '76...

Bought it with the mother of my children

Currently have three Toyoda SUV's with the newest being an '11...oldest an '01 LC w/341K miles

Here's the '03......AZ native/rust free/207K miles......G/kids may fight over who gets it when I'm dead

Dang tikka....that's sharp.
I've always been a Chevy or Ford guy. Back and forth depending on availability. But a buddy of mine has a brand new Ram 1/2 ton. If I cound get away with a 1/2 ton it would be hard not to buy that truck. Great power, room and the interior is a half step up from the chevy/ford's I've been in.

Me either and I own one.
Dang tikka....that's sharp.

He goes by 'Bubba'
old vs new(er)

I'm looking to replace my King Ranch and order a new one.
I'm told that when (and if) you can get one there are no new features, i.e. the 2023 is pretty much same as a 2022.
Add to that the time to build it. Some say it could be 9 months.
So put those two things together and I could be getting the 'new' truck that is essentially a 2022 delivered at just about the time the 2024's are offered. It's pretty close to buying a 2 year old new truck.
This might be the worst time in history to buy a Ford truck.
Originally Posted by Pat85

Me either and I own one.

I’m a big Yota fan, and have well over 700K miles on Yota products in my lifetime. I can’t get myself to pull the trigger on either a current generation Taco or Tundra, and have a new Ford coming this month.
Originally Posted by Dutch
I’m a big Yota fan, and have well over 700K miles on Yota products in my lifetime. I can’t get myself to pull the trigger on either a current generation Taco or Tundra, and have a new Ford coming this month.

What did you get?
I bought a little Maverick trucklet. Since the farms are over 200 miles apart, I need something cheap that will still carry 20 bag of feed and a full complement of dogs and two limits of sharptails….. wink
A Tacoma with a manual transmission will out last you if you treat it decent. That would be my pick if I didn't already have a 20 year old Tundra.
The manual comes alive above 2500, can't drive em like a diesel.
Originally Posted by Dutch
I bought a little Maverick trucklet. Since the farms are over 200 miles apart, I need something cheap that will still carry 20 bag of feed and a full complement of dogs and two limits of sharptails….. wink

No pics yet of your bull dawging Mav? I wanna see 1000 pounds of feed in one.
Haven’t got it yet. Patience, grasshopper!
Ky221: I bought the VarmintWife a brand new whoop-de-doo Toyota Highlander SUV three weeks ago and I am still in "sticker shock" over that incident!
It is one hell'uva vehicle and gets great mileage but FMB it was "pricey"!
I hope my 1996 Dodge Cummins Diesel 5 speed extended cab one owner (me) low mileage (140,000) pickup will last me the rest of my natural born days.
I started buying NEW 4x4 pickup trucks in 1968 and have bought a BUNCH of new 4x4's (mostly Fords) between 1968 and 1996 - I am VERY glad I am through with that habit!
That licensing insurance and taxes on todays NEW vehicles gives me the chills.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Ky221: I bought the VarmintWife a brand new whoop-de-doo Toyota Highlander SUV three weeks ago and I am still in "sticker shock" over that incident!
It is one hell'uva vehicle and gets great mileage but FMB it was "pricey"!
I hope my 1996 Dodge Cummins Diesel 5 speed extended cab one owner (me) low mileage (140,000) pickup will last me the rest of my natural born days.
I started buying NEW 4x4 pickup trucks in 1968 and have bought a BUNCH of new 4x4's (mostly Fords) between 1968 and 1996 - I am VERY glad I am through with that habit!
That licensing insurance and taxes on todays NEW vehicles gives me the chills.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Is your truck green with a 2” ball on the front bumper?
I guess everyone wants to know what will your new truck do that your old (2018 isn't old...) truck won't do?

If you're buying it like it's a gadget or something, and don't really use it as a truck, then who cares...get what ever color pony you want.

We have two trucks in our driveway an 2016 f150 4x4 with a 5 liter and a 2020 f250 4x4 6.2 with 6 speed transmission. Both are paid for. One tows the RV trailer and one to drive around for lighter loads. We don't need two, but 'Merica goddammit!

If I were to get another truck anytime soon...and I won't...then I'd look at a 2 wheel drive dually to increase the fuel capacity and towing capacity. But I never tow over 10k lbs so I really don't need the towing capacity. But it would be nice to not stop at a gas pump every 250-300 miles while towing the RV trailer (duallys have bigger gas tanks).

But, if I didn't stop at a Love's or Buccee's every 200 odd miles then their CEO's would probably write a letter and ask why my wife isn't buying stuff from them, are their bathrooms clean, did someone piss us off, or do we already own all the Bucceeswear wink ?

My suggestion would be to keep your 2018 and get another truck if you want. You can share the around the town miles and make them both last longer, and use your full size truck for bass boats and stuff and your little Toyota for Jon boats and stuff...just a thought.

Originally Posted by Terryk
[quote=Judman]Tundra if ya got a boat or camp trailer, taco if ya don’t. I won’t buy anything but yotas 👊🏻

We traded our 21 4-Runner Nightshade for the 21 Tundra Pro.

We have a working cattle farm, the wife and I both use a truck. The 4Runner was nice but it wasn't practical for her.

I went back and test drove the manual Tacoma today. No way on earth I would purchase that truck. Zero Power, Zero space, the only thing that it had going for it was that they look cool. After driving one around town I honestly don't see the appeal. So I'm gonna keep looking for another full size that catches my eye or maybe keep my '18. Haven't decided yet. But I do know the Tacoma is out.

As for the dumbazzes that popped off with the wise cracks about money burning a hole in my pocket and having an 18 and wanting a 2022. I have my reasons for wanting a new truck. Such as...... I have the $ for a new truck, I'd like to have a truck with lower miles, and most of all....I'd just like to have a new truck. I just don't feel like I should be taking financial advice from people who think they need 15 deer rifles and probably still owe on their current vehicle/house/whatever. I hate to come across that way but daaamn people.

To those that gave good information. Whether in favor of one truck or the other. It was very much appreciated.
I have a Tacoma. Don't have to tow anything, or haul much. V6 with a manual transmission. Fits my needs.

Great for medium sized people like me. My friend is 6'4" and hates it. Common complaint I've heard from plus sized occupants.
Originally Posted by Dess
I have a Tacoma. Don't have to tow anything, or haul much. V6 with a manual transmission. Fits my needs.

Great for medium sized people like me. My friend is 6'4" and hates it. Common complaint I've heard from plus sized occupants.

I am only 6ft and I would love to have a Tacoma for the woods but I dont fit. Dont need to be supersize.
I bought a 2021 Ford F150 3.5 EB.

Also have a 2012 F150 EB.

The 2021 has 400hp and 500ft/lbs torque, can tow up to ~11 000+ lbs, gets 22 mpg at 67 mph on cruise with excursions to 100 mph.

The 2012 gets ~10% less mpg's

A few friends have Tacoma's, one traded a 2013 F 150 EB for the Tacoma so it would fit in his condo garage, reports worse mileage by a good shot and way less power. The other had a 2012 traded just last week for a 2022, 150 000 miles no major issues on the 2012.

The bells and chimes suck, but they are all like that now

Never consider a Toyota truck, a car or SUV maybe. maybe
I bought my first Toyota truck in 1988. I probably have a couple million miles on various models since then. I have had a few Fords thrown in occasionally as well. I am a Toyota guy. They have been MUCH less trouble. You do not buy a Toyota truck for its gas mileage. You buy it for its reliability. Mine have been trouble free for the most part with the exception of a T100 that ate brake rotors. I cannot same the same about the Fords I have owned.
Thinking of getting a new pickup but not real sure what direction I want to go. I tend to favor a Ford and that's what I have now. (2018 f150 with the 3.5 V6 ecoboost). Torn between another f150, or maybe just keeping mine......
Keep what you have and once you’re sure which direction you want to go, go find a body and frame that fits in with what you envision…put in the power train and suspension you want…
Thinking about the 1/2 ton 3.0 GM diesel in a crew cab 6.5 ft bed pickup once the diesel supply shortage is gone. Have a 04 Silverado with 120 K 5.3 gas that has been great but lacking in torque for pulling my 5k trailer.

The worst pickup I ever had was an 81Toyota PU
bought new all sorts of problems before 75k, transmission bearings twice, front oil case leaks twice, front wheel bearings, alternator, and electrical issues. None were covered by warranty and most were over 1 K And I am easy on my vehicles.
The Toyota won't get out of it's own way. The Toyota will still be a good truck for you, unless you actually need a real truck. You will be drastically disappointed after driving tha 3.5 Ecoboost. I'm a Ford guy because I have worked for them for 25 years. This last year, I traded my 2020 F150 for a 2021 F150. No particular reason other than I wanted to.
Don't know how old you are BUT - manual Taco will last you 300k miles. 20 years? What do you think your options will be in even 5?

All electric BS.

Get the Taco and run a real vehicle as long as possible. I have one, will do everything you ask of the Ford easily.

Except haul more stuff in the bed, except have more room in the cab, except get better mileage, I have a 2021 and generally like it.. but be realistic about what it is and nope its still small
Buy the manual Tacoma. If you get tired of it in a few years you'll get almost as much back out of it than you paid. And be fortunate you have a dealer with a manual on the lot to buy. There's guys waiting 3+ months to hopefully maybe get one.
Originally Posted by COLORADO_LUCKYDOG
The Toyota won't get out of it's own way. The Toyota will still be a good truck for you, unless you actually need a real truck. You will be drastically disappointed after driving tha 3.5 Ecoboost. I'm a Ford guy because I have worked for them for 25 years. This last year, I traded my 2020 F150 for a 2021 F150. No particular reason other than I wanted to.
Funny, I towed a 7k boat and trailer from Valdez with the 2021 taco and got the same mileage as my 96 7.3. Went up Thompson pass about the same speed as the Ford. With the Ford I would tow about 65, 70. With the Toyota more like 45, 55. Didn't plan to tow with the Taco, but sometimes things happen, pretty amazed how well it did.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img922/6564/N7ZJCq.jpg
Originally Posted by johnn

All electric BS.

Except haul more stuff in the bed, except have more room in the cab, except get better mileage, I have a 2021 and generally like it.. but be realistic about what it is and nope its still small

Except for what he does, added capacity above the Toyota is unused capacity. Its value is zero.

Someone was talking about how the ZR2 has more hp/tq and better suspension. Great. Except it's rated to tow 1500 lbs LESS than the Tacoma. What good is having it if it doesn't work or in some cases, you don't need/use it?

May as well just buy a Peterbilt or shoot 50 BMG then if it's just about paper numbers.

All electric BS.

Except for what he does, added capacity above the Toyota is unused capacity. It's value is zero.

Someone was talking about how the ZR2 Corado has more hp/tq and better suspension. Great. Except it's rated to tow 1500 lbs LESS than the Tacoma. What good is having it if it doesn't work or in some cases, you don't need/use it?

May as well just buy a Peterbilt then if it's just about paper numbers.
Just pointing out it is not a full size truck and does not have the same room, if I didn't have a full size truck as well, I probably would have bought a F150 instead of the Toyota. The Tacoma is a great vehicle, but it has some foibles and limitations
Mid size = Ford ranger

Full size = nissan titan xd

3/4 ton or 1 ton = probably a Ford with the 6.7 or 7.3 gasser
Originally Posted by Stickfight
BULL$HIT
Taco an under powered wheelbarrel
Originally Posted by garddogg56
BULL$HIT
Thats a bit over the top, quality trucks, just small.
First Toyota I had was pretty nice. Sick shift, 4x4 Just a simple radio. Had to pay an extra amount to have A/C installed. Sold it to my grandson when he was looking for a small truck and used the monet to buy a 2004 Tacoma 4x4. Couldn't get one with a stick shift and the tranny it had spent mort time hunting for the right gear. Worst of all, when in cruise control going up a hill, when it downshifted to keep the speed up, the clunk that came from the tranny sounded like it was about to rip its guts out. Talked to my stepson one day and he said he could get me a new truck at the employees price. Got $50K 2015 4x4 club cab with $10 of the sticker price. The .3.5 ecoboost impressed me as well. On 1/2/2020 I got into a wreck and my pretty blue truck was totaled. On 1/27/20 My insurance finally gave me a check for the truck and that afternoon I drove a nice 2019 F150 4x4 four door home. When the payment book came in, I sent it back to the bank with a check paying off the loan. So I have no truck payment. Depending on traffic, I'm getting from 18.5 to 20.5 MPG and on a really good day with no traffic and I make all the green light 21.3 MPG.

Yesterday afternoon, I had to travel way cross town to pick up some chemo pills. Traffic was fairly heavy but not really bad stop and go, just slow. Coming back it was jammed tight stop and go all the way to the freeway and then more stop and go after getting off the freeway. Took almost an hour but when I got home, I checked the mileage and averaged 19.4 MPG. Not too shabby considering it's a full sized pick up.

Never had anything to do with a Dodge truck other that riding in a few. However, every single GM vehicle I have owned has been a dog, nickel and diming me to death. The only exception was a 1955 Olds I go used in 1962. Guy selling it said it was his mother's car and he inherited it. Price was right, $600 IIRC. When I started it up it sounding like a B29. By the time I drove it home I was in love. If that was his mother's car, she must have been the little old lady from Pasadena. That sucker would move. Headers and straight pipes, dual 4 barrel cards and only God knows what else was under the hood. When I got married the first time around that Olds had to go and I got a VW beetle convertible plus boot on a trade. All of 36 horse power and damn that thing was great on gas. No guts on hills though. Going up Tehachepi Pass in California it was second and low gear all the way with that four banger screaming its heart out. Nice around town though and easy to park.
PJ
I've not read the plethora of responses and most will think I'm just being an [bleep] when I say that American vehicles are junk schitt. They are made with inferior parts and engineered horribly. I was a master mechanic for 17 years and could sit here and name the terrible designs of each American made truck. You know how many hundreds of 5.4 Ford engines that I've replaced timing chains, phasers, guides and tensioners.. Or how many Ford f150 and Silverado transmissions I've had to R&R. Or the plethora of steering and suspension components that I've done in dodges. Please stop buying that trash.
Originally Posted by BeardedGunsmith
I've not read the plethora of responses and most will think I'm just being an [bleep] when I say that American vehicles are junk schitt. They are made with inferior parts and engineered horribly. I was a master mechanic for 17 years and could sit here and name the terrible designs of each American made truck. You know how many hundreds of 5.4 Ford engines that I've replaced timing chains, phasers, guides and tensioners.. Or how many Ford f150 and Silverado transmissions I've had to R&R. Or the plethora of steering and suspension components that I've done in dodges. Please stop buying that trash.

Shirley, you are high on brake clean....once again. .
I certainly agree with this, but the unions support modern day communists, which are the present enemy.

LOL ..... Where was the computer you wrote the above quote made? Probably China.
I'm a Ford guy because I have worked for them for 25 years. This last year, I traded my 2020 F150 for a 2021 F150.

LOL .... Worked for FORD for 25yrs but doesn't trust his F150 for more than one year before replacing it with another newer one.

Tells us all his FORD trucks have served him problem free. smile smile
Originally Posted by SuperCub

LOL ..... Where was the computer you wrote the above quote made? Probably China.

The "Most American-made pickup truck for 2022"... is_____________________

LOL

You can ignore the truth if you'd like but I fed my family for years repairing that garbage.

I'm going to save reading other responses 'til later. You'll get mine un-edited.

Aside from a brief stint with an F250, I've owned Jeeps and small Toyota and Nissan trucks all my life. My current truck is a 2014 Tacoma, 6 speed manual, 4.0L v6, crew cab short bed, TRD offroad package. It's got 93K on it. It's been the closest to trouble-free of anything I've owned .. zero major problems, just irksome things. I think if I had gotten the 6 foot bed and extra cab rather than crew cab, it would have been pretty perfect.

The small trucks .. Frontier and Tacoma .. will handle over 6000 pounds of trailer. That would whup your jon boat and lawnmower. Not a concern. The change would be psychological .. smaller cab space .. but in your shoes I'd go with a Tacoma if I could get one with a manual transmission.

If you need more, I'd stick with a manual as long as I can thus by passing the F150, Dodge 1500, Chevy half ton, etc and go with a Jeep Gladiator in that range. If that isn't big enough, then you have to bite the bullet with an automatic. My current favorite is the F350 FX4 package with the 7.3L gas engine, short bed, and extra (not crew) cab.

I've never been a big Chevy or Dodge truck fan. Back in my jeep years I hung around the dodge dealership service department a lot. There were a lot of big dodges coming through with really expensive problems. When I was exposed to them, Chevy trucks had great motors and were otherwise crap. Not to say Ford didn't have some bad periods like the 6.0L diesel, but I've been around some good fords as well so that'd be the way I'd go.
If you really want to find out what not to get, come to the Campfire.

I’ve never seen more worthless advice than here. How does any company stay in business building $hit like all these claims against every manufacturer?

Personally I would say of you want a real truck, you need a Chevy, GMC, Ram or Ford diesel, if you don’t need a real truck, any of the rest of the station wagons with a box on it will do nicely…

You can ignore the truth if you'd like but I fed my family for years repairing that garbage.
So you did your job. You make it sound like you had to repair every single vehicle ever made. Kind of like a nurse or doctor, you only deal with people with problems.
Originally Posted by smarquez

So you did your job. You make it sound like you had to repair every single vehicle ever made. Kind of like a nurse or doctor, you only deal with people with problems.
And the majority with major problems were American made vehicles. But fine, keep buying junk because that's what you were raised seeing your dad buy over the years.
My Taco was getting 9.4liter/100km yesterday. That's 25miles per US gallon.
Originally Posted by SuperCub
My Taco was getting 9.4liter/100km yesterday. That's 25miles per US gallon.

My Tacoma gets 21 mpg if I just drive it and don't pay attention. I do hit interstate a lot. If I drive the speed limit and drive 55-60 mph, I get around 25 mpg which is better than the window sticker said it was rated for.
Wait until next year and get the Ford Ecobooth Duramax 5.9 with a Sthil BR460 blower. Double pumper.
My last new Truck was/is a 4 Runner....

it has 587,000 miles on it now...

it was bought in September 1987, a new 1988 model...

Its still licensed, still used and sits in one of the driveways.

and ain't rusted out either.
Originally Posted by drop_point
If I drive the speed limit and drive 55-60 mph, I get around 25 mpg

That seems to be the sweet spot for mine as well.

On a side note for diesel owners ..... Diesel spiked last week last week to $3.10/liter which is $11.73 for US gallon.
Gary, I'd hang on to that 2018 Ford.

And the majority with major problems were American made vehicles. But fine, keep buying junk because that's what you were raised seeing your dad buy over the years.

Not saying you are wrong, but if the majority of trucks on the road are non-Toyota, then it stands to reason that the majority of the trucks coming in for repairs will be non-Toyota.

It's not like they make the only one that lasts, this was in February. Pops has probably put 40k more on it since. Do they all go this long - nope but neither do all Yota's too. Hardly a Yoda hater, wife drives a Highlander that I bought for her but their trucks, especially the Tacoma, have just always left me cold. Comparatively Poor ride, bad gas mileage, and somewhat cramped - especially compared to the competition. I don't hate them but just always thought there were better options to put hundreds of thousands of miles on.

I've not had a vehicle that didn't go 200k plus miles (unless wrecked) since I was a teenager. Usually by then I'm ready for something else anyway.

Back to the original topic, I probably wouldn't buy anything made 2020 or later. Seems like lots and lots of gremlins out there now.

Ive owned four silverados over the past 16 years and have a 2023 ordered. Had a transmission module crap out on my 2015. That cost me about $500, but was later refunded via recall. Other than that, oil changes, tire rotation, brake rotors turned and new brake pads and new tires.
My FIL has a new Frontier, a pretty nice truck, I drove it for a few hours. Only downside is that it's too small for me, 6'4" and my knees are jammed. Otherwise I really like it. My daily is a Chevy 1500.
I went from a 2012 F150 Lariat 5.0 average MPG 14/16 with 33" tires to a 2020 Chevy 1500 LT with stock tires and 2.7 liter. My last road trip I averaged 24.8 MPG, around town 20. I like the 150 overall better but this Chevy is nice and I really like the MPG.
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Originally Posted by dale06

Ive owned four silverados over the past 16 years and have a 2023 ordered. Had a transmission module crap out on my 2015. That cost me about $500, but was later refunded via recall. Other than that, oil changes, tire rotation, brake rotors turned and new brake pads and new tires.

Were these owned one after another or concurrently?
If you're averaging 4 years on trucks and happy to be seeing only routine maintenance on wear items this isn't much of an endorsement.
They were owned one after another. Call it what you desire.
I’m fine with putting 80-100,000 miles on a truck, or 350,000 plus miles on total on several trucks and only incurring routine maintenance costs.
I was responding to the call to “quit buying this trash.”
Originally Posted by 257Bob
I went from a 2012 F150 Lariat 5.0 average MPG 14/16 with 33" tires to a 2020 Chevy 1500 LT with stock tires and 2.7 liter. My last road trip I averaged 24.8 MPG, around town 20. I like the 150 overall better but this Chevy is nice and I really like the MPG.

2.7l, crazy I had a 2.8l in a 92 Isuzu small truck that was underpowered. Not twin turbo though - will be interesting to see how long they last.
Originally Posted by 257Bob

Stock ram 1500 4x4, 400 HP 5.7, 22 MPG on the highway.
Well, I had ordered a new F150 with a 2.7 and the opportunity came up to by this truck from my BIL at a deal I couldn't pass up, $20k less than the new Ford I ordered. I had a 5.0, a great motor but I don't pull anything anymore and don't need the 400 HP or the low MPG. This little turbo puts out 300 HP and runs like a champ when the turbos kick in, I don't miss the 5.0 at all. I don't run my trucks hard, I keep them a long time, and this engine doesn't labor at all. If it holds up, I'll be very happy with it. I do believe that naturally aspired engines last longer than turbos but we will see, I just couldn't commit to poor MPG for the unforeseeable future. So far I'm very pleased with this truck, comfortable ride and trips to the pump much more tolerable.
BULL$HIT

I'm sorry but the Toyotas are gutless. They are seriously under powered. Like I said, the Toyotas are great trucks, if you don't really need a truck. I'd buy a Toyota truck if I was just going to use it to drive around or to haul small stuff in. But I drive an F150 because I pull trailers and I'm going off road a lot. And also because I like smoking a Dodge, Chevy, GMC or a Toyota like a big free bag of weed!
I have a 2020 4WD Tacoma Access cab w/6 ft. box, V-6 and 6 spd. manual trans. It tips the scales at about 4,100+/- lbs and has 278 hp which works well for me. I don't drive it much but when I do, I enjoy it. It has decent power and rides nice.

My only complaint is that the frames are made from kind of light material IMO. Toyota had some kind of frame replacement program at one time for the issue. Being retired I don't drive it much. My wife has a Subaru which we drive most of the time.

If you don't need a full-size truck the Tacoma is not a bad choice. I would not get one with the 4 cyl.. The 4's are bullet proof but lacking in power.
My 21 1/2 ton trailboss Chevy with the 5.3 and 10 speed trans gets 25 mpg on the hiway and tows my 10,000 plus race trailer with ease, my 9500 plus camper with ease, and my 4000 plus boat like it ain’t even there. My 22 Tahoe rst with a 5.3 and 10 speed gets 20-21 on the hiway as well as being the most comfortable Tahoe I have ever owned, and I have been buying them for nearly 20 years. YMMV
Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go

Not saying you are wrong, but if the majority of trucks on the road are non-Toyota, then it stands to reason that the majority of the trucks coming in for repairs will be non-Toyota.
Forget logic, suspect math is not hims strong point, laughing
BULL$HIT

I'm sorry but the Toyotas are gutless. They are seriously under powered. Like I said, the Toyotas are great trucks, if you don't really need a truck. I'd buy a Toyota truck if I was just going to use it to drive around or to haul small stuff in. But I drive an F150 because I pull trailers and I'm going off road a lot. And also because I like smoking a Dodge, Chevy, GMC or a Toyota like a big free bag of weed!
Pulled my 7000 boat & trailer and got the same mileage as my 96 7.3, sure i went slower with the Tacoma, but so what I was towing. Seen 116 on the speedo, its a truck, how fast do you want to go....?
In terms of off road the Tacoma will outshine a f150 all day, everyday. Its a fact jack.
© 24hourcampfire