-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Haven’t got it yet. Patience, grasshopper!

Sic Semper Tyrannis

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Ky221: I bought the VarmintWife a brand new whoop-de-doo Toyota Highlander SUV three weeks ago and I am still in "sticker shock" over that incident!
It is one hell'uva vehicle and gets great mileage but FMB it was "pricey"!
I hope my 1996 Dodge Cummins Diesel 5 speed extended cab one owner (me) low mileage (140,000) pickup will last me the rest of my natural born days.
I started buying NEW 4x4 pickup trucks in 1968 and have bought a BUNCH of new 4x4's (mostly Fords) between 1968 and 1996 - I am VERY glad I am through with that habit!
That licensing insurance and taxes on todays NEW vehicles gives me the chills.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Ky221: I bought the VarmintWife a brand new whoop-de-doo Toyota Highlander SUV three weeks ago and I am still in "sticker shock" over that incident!
It is one hell'uva vehicle and gets great mileage but FMB it was "pricey"!
I hope my 1996 Dodge Cummins Diesel 5 speed extended cab one owner (me) low mileage (140,000) pickup will last me the rest of my natural born days.
I started buying NEW 4x4 pickup trucks in 1968 and have bought a BUNCH of new 4x4's (mostly Fords) between 1968 and 1996 - I am VERY glad I am through with that habit!
That licensing insurance and taxes on todays NEW vehicles gives me the chills.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Is your truck green with a 2” ball on the front bumper?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I guess everyone wants to know what will your new truck do that your old (2018 isn't old...) truck won't do?

If you're buying it like it's a gadget or something, and don't really use it as a truck, then who cares...get what ever color pony you want.

We have two trucks in our driveway an 2016 f150 4x4 with a 5 liter and a 2020 f250 4x4 6.2 with 6 speed transmission. Both are paid for. One tows the RV trailer and one to drive around for lighter loads. We don't need two, but 'Merica goddammit!

If I were to get another truck anytime soon...and I won't...then I'd look at a 2 wheel drive dually to increase the fuel capacity and towing capacity. But I never tow over 10k lbs so I really don't need the towing capacity. But it would be nice to not stop at a gas pump every 250-300 miles while towing the RV trailer (duallys have bigger gas tanks).

But, if I didn't stop at a Love's or Buccee's every 200 odd miles then their CEO's would probably write a letter and ask why my wife isn't buying stuff from them, are their bathrooms clean, did someone piss us off, or do we already own all the Bucceeswear wink ?

My suggestion would be to keep your 2018 and get another truck if you want. You can share the around the town miles and make them both last longer, and use your full size truck for bass boats and stuff and your little Toyota for Jon boats and stuff...just a thought.

Originally Posted by Ky221
Originally Posted by Terryk
[quote=Judman]Tundra if ya got a boat or camp trailer, taco if ya don’t. I won’t buy anything but yotas 👊🏻

Wife has a 21 Tundra TRD Pro.....
Since you have a truck in the driveway, get a 4Runner.
I always had a truck, now I have the 4Runner and a nice aluminum trailer, and life is better.

We traded our 21 4-Runner Nightshade for the 21 Tundra Pro.

We have a working cattle farm, the wife and I both use a truck. The 4Runner was nice but it wasn't practical for her.

I went back and test drove the manual Tacoma today. No way on earth I would purchase that truck. Zero Power, Zero space, the only thing that it had going for it was that they look cool. After driving one around town I honestly don't see the appeal. So I'm gonna keep looking for another full size that catches my eye or maybe keep my '18. Haven't decided yet. But I do know the Tacoma is out.

As for the dumbazzes that popped off with the wise cracks about money burning a hole in my pocket and having an 18 and wanting a 2022. I have my reasons for wanting a new truck. Such as...... I have the $ for a new truck, I'd like to have a truck with lower miles, and most of all....I'd just like to have a new truck. I just don't feel like I should be taking financial advice from people who think they need 15 deer rifles and probably still owe on their current vehicle/house/whatever. I hate to come across that way but daaamn people.

To those that gave good information. Whether in favor of one truck or the other. It was very much appreciated.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have a Tacoma. Don't have to tow anything, or haul much. V6 with a manual transmission. Fits my needs.

Great for medium sized people like me. My friend is 6'4" and hates it. Common complaint I've heard from plus sized occupants.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Dess
I have a Tacoma. Don't have to tow anything, or haul much. V6 with a manual transmission. Fits my needs.

Great for medium sized people like me. My friend is 6'4" and hates it. Common complaint I've heard from plus sized occupants.

I am only 6ft and I would love to have a Tacoma for the woods but I dont fit. Dont need to be supersize.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I bought a 2021 Ford F150 3.5 EB.

Also have a 2012 F150 EB.

The 2021 has 400hp and 500ft/lbs torque, can tow up to ~11 000+ lbs, gets 22 mpg at 67 mph on cruise with excursions to 100 mph.

The 2012 gets ~10% less mpg's

A few friends have Tacoma's, one traded a 2013 F 150 EB for the Tacoma so it would fit in his condo garage, reports worse mileage by a good shot and way less power. The other had a 2012 traded just last week for a 2022, 150 000 miles no major issues on the 2012.

The bells and chimes suck, but they are all like that now

Never consider a Toyota truck, a car or SUV maybe. maybe

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
I bought my first Toyota truck in 1988. I probably have a couple million miles on various models since then. I have had a few Fords thrown in occasionally as well. I am a Toyota guy. They have been MUCH less trouble. You do not buy a Toyota truck for its gas mileage. You buy it for its reliability. Mine have been trouble free for the most part with the exception of a T100 that ate brake rotors. I cannot same the same about the Fords I have owned.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Thinking of getting a new pickup but not real sure what direction I want to go. I tend to favor a Ford and that's what I have now. (2018 f150 with the 3.5 V6 ecoboost). Torn between another f150, or maybe just keeping mine......
Keep what you have and once you’re sure which direction you want to go, go find a body and frame that fits in with what you envision…put in the power train and suspension you want…

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Thinking about the 1/2 ton 3.0 GM diesel in a crew cab 6.5 ft bed pickup once the diesel supply shortage is gone. Have a 04 Silverado with 120 K 5.3 gas that has been great but lacking in torque for pulling my 5k trailer.

The worst pickup I ever had was an 81Toyota PU
bought new all sorts of problems before 75k, transmission bearings twice, front oil case leaks twice, front wheel bearings, alternator, and electrical issues. None were covered by warranty and most were over 1 K And I am easy on my vehicles.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Toyota won't get out of it's own way. The Toyota will still be a good truck for you, unless you actually need a real truck. You will be drastically disappointed after driving tha 3.5 Ecoboost. I'm a Ford guy because I have worked for them for 25 years. This last year, I traded my 2020 F150 for a 2021 F150. No particular reason other than I wanted to.

A 380 in my pocket is better than a 45 in my truck!

Violence may not be the best option... but it's still an option.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." General James Mad Dog Mattis
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Teal
Don't know how old you are BUT - manual Taco will last you 300k miles. 20 years? What do you think your options will be in even 5?

All electric BS.

Get the Taco and run a real vehicle as long as possible. I have one, will do everything you ask of the Ford easily.

Except haul more stuff in the bed, except have more room in the cab, except get better mileage, I have a 2021 and generally like it.. but be realistic about what it is and nope its still small

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Buy the manual Tacoma. If you get tired of it in a few years you'll get almost as much back out of it than you paid. And be fortunate you have a dealer with a manual on the lot to buy. There's guys waiting 3+ months to hopefully maybe get one.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by COLORADO_LUCKYDOG
The Toyota won't get out of it's own way. The Toyota will still be a good truck for you, unless you actually need a real truck. You will be drastically disappointed after driving tha 3.5 Ecoboost. I'm a Ford guy because I have worked for them for 25 years. This last year, I traded my 2020 F150 for a 2021 F150. No particular reason other than I wanted to.
Funny, I towed a 7k boat and trailer from Valdez with the 2021 taco and got the same mileage as my 96 7.3. Went up Thompson pass about the same speed as the Ford. With the Ford I would tow about 65, 70. With the Toyota more like 45, 55. Didn't plan to tow with the Taco, but sometimes things happen, pretty amazed how well it did.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img922/6564/N7ZJCq.jpg

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by johnn
Don't know how old you are BUT - manual Taco will last you 300k miles. 20 years? What do you think your options will be in even 5?

All electric BS.

Get the Taco and run a real vehicle as long as possible. I have one, will do everything you ask of the Ford easily.

Except haul more stuff in the bed, except have more room in the cab, except get better mileage, I have a 2021 and generally like it.. but be realistic about what it is and nope its still small

Except for what he does, added capacity above the Toyota is unused capacity. Its value is zero.

Someone was talking about how the ZR2 has more hp/tq and better suspension. Great. Except it's rated to tow 1500 lbs LESS than the Tacoma. What good is having it if it doesn't work or in some cases, you don't need/use it?

May as well just buy a Peterbilt or shoot 50 BMG then if it's just about paper numbers.

Me

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by johnn

All electric BS.

Except for what he does, added capacity above the Toyota is unused capacity. It's value is zero.

Someone was talking about how the ZR2 Corado has more hp/tq and better suspension. Great. Except it's rated to tow 1500 lbs LESS than the Tacoma. What good is having it if it doesn't work or in some cases, you don't need/use it?

May as well just buy a Peterbilt then if it's just about paper numbers.
Just pointing out it is not a full size truck and does not have the same room, if I didn't have a full size truck as well, I probably would have bought a F150 instead of the Toyota. The Tacoma is a great vehicle, but it has some foibles and limitations

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Mid size = Ford ranger

Full size = nissan titan xd

3/4 ton or 1 ton = probably a Ford with the 6.7 or 7.3 gasser

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by Stickfight
The Taco, despite being smaller, is 10x more truck than any F150 ever built.
BULL$HIT
Taco an under powered wheelbarrel

Last edited by garddogg56; 11/05/22.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by garddogg56
Originally Posted by Stickfight
The Taco, despite being smaller, is 10x more truck than any F150 ever built.
BULL$HIT
Taco an under powered wheelbarrel
Thats a bit over the top, quality trucks, just small.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
First Toyota I had was pretty nice. Sick shift, 4x4 Just a simple radio. Had to pay an extra amount to have A/C installed. Sold it to my grandson when he was looking for a small truck and used the monet to buy a 2004 Tacoma 4x4. Couldn't get one with a stick shift and the tranny it had spent mort time hunting for the right gear. Worst of all, when in cruise control going up a hill, when it downshifted to keep the speed up, the clunk that came from the tranny sounded like it was about to rip its guts out. Talked to my stepson one day and he said he could get me a new truck at the employees price. Got $50K 2015 4x4 club cab with $10 of the sticker price. The .3.5 ecoboost impressed me as well. On 1/2/2020 I got into a wreck and my pretty blue truck was totaled. On 1/27/20 My insurance finally gave me a check for the truck and that afternoon I drove a nice 2019 F150 4x4 four door home. When the payment book came in, I sent it back to the bank with a check paying off the loan. So I have no truck payment. Depending on traffic, I'm getting from 18.5 to 20.5 MPG and on a really good day with no traffic and I make all the green light 21.3 MPG.

Yesterday afternoon, I had to travel way cross town to pick up some chemo pills. Traffic was fairly heavy but not really bad stop and go, just slow. Coming back it was jammed tight stop and go all the way to the freeway and then more stop and go after getting off the freeway. Took almost an hour but when I got home, I checked the mileage and averaged 19.4 MPG. Not too shabby considering it's a full sized pick up.

Never had anything to do with a Dodge truck other that riding in a few. However, every single GM vehicle I have owned has been a dog, nickel and diming me to death. The only exception was a 1955 Olds I go used in 1962. Guy selling it said it was his mother's car and he inherited it. Price was right, $600 IIRC. When I started it up it sounding like a B29. By the time I drove it home I was in love. If that was his mother's car, she must have been the little old lady from Pasadena. That sucker would move. Headers and straight pipes, dual 4 barrel cards and only God knows what else was under the hood. When I got married the first time around that Olds had to go and I got a VW beetle convertible plus boot on a trade. All of 36 horse power and damn that thing was great on gas. No guts on hills though. Going up Tehachepi Pass in California it was second and low gear all the way with that four banger screaming its heart out. Nice around town though and easy to park.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (17CalFan, 222Sako, 22250rem, 12344mag, 160user, 1Longbow, 51 invisible), 2,066 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,009
Posts18,481,461
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.