Home
We've heard that there are an estimated 34 million more young men than women in China because of the 1-child law. This has produced another consequence. Dowries have skyrocketed. A dowry is a price paid by the groom's family to the brides family. It's been a tradition in China for centuries in spite of being illegal. Since brides are at a premium due to the scarsity of young women, the dowry demands have shot way up. It's common for brides' families to demand 5x an annual wage. This Foxnews article mentions a case where someone demanded $163,000 bride price. It was impossible for the groom's family to pay and they had to break up.

BRIDE PRICES

I've read in other places that many young Chinese men are going to other countries to find wives. Needless to say, the young men in those countries are upset when foreign men come in to take away the available women, leaving them with a woman shortage.
The financial impact to America is just beginning...

I was pricing tires just last night... Oh boy!

18v tools two days ago... Fugg me...

Ordered screw-in valve stems 5 days ago... and my order was cancelled (no inventory).

Annual service on a 2022 Toyota... I know the guys very very well... Inventory is a total chitshow... like 2025 model chitshow on certain vehicles.

Stuff is about to get very real here... now that the midterms are over.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I've read in other places that many young Chinese men are going to other countries to find wives. Needless today, the young men in those countries are upset when foreign men come in to take away the available women, leaving them with a woman shortage.

The Chinese are pretty proud of their ethnicity, and look down their noses on others. Citizenship is hard to get even if you marry a Chinese citizen. Those foreign brides will always be second-class.

I would not want to be a young man in China these days. The female demographics are bad.
Originally Posted by CashisKing

Ordered screw-in valve stems 5 days ago... and my order was cancelled (no inventory).

Annual service on a 2022 Toyota... I know the guys very very well... Inventory is a total chitshow... like 2025 model chitshow on certain vehicles.

at least someone is paying attention.
Originally Posted by plumbum
I've read in other places that many young Chinese men are going to other countries to find wives. Needless today, the young men in those countries are upset when foreign men come in to take away the available women, leaving them with a woman shortage.

The Chinese are pretty proud of their ethnicity, and look down their noses on others. Citizenship is hard to get even if you marry a Chinese citizen. Those foreign brides will always be second-class.

I would not want to be a young man in China these days. The female demographics are bad.

Add to that a little discussed little detail that Chinese women are not particularly keen on Chinese men and will "step out" if given a chance to avoid having to be a Chinese wife.....
NAFTA is gonna take a big bite out of us soon. Ross Perot was a prophet.
We've heard that there are an estimated 34 million more young men than women in China because of the 1-child law. This has produced another consequence. Dowries have skyrocketed. A dowry is a price paid by the groom's family to the brides family. It's been a tradition in China for centuries in spite of being illegal. Since brides are at a premium due to the scarsity of young women, the dowry demands have shot way up. It's common for brides' families to demand 5x an annual wage. This Foxnews article mentions a case where someone demanded $163,000 bride price. It was impossible for the groom's family to pay and they had to break up.

BRIDE PRICES

My wife's Hmong, from Laos. There family immigrated from China probably in the 1890's.

In China the Hmong are hill tribes that live as subsistence level farmers. There used to be lots of pretty girls in those village, but all the city men are coming to the country side offering huge dowries even for girls who are average at best. This is hollowing out the villages, much like what's happening in rural America.

Vietnams a big destination for Chinese men seeking wires, where they can get a decent looking girl for the low, low price of only $10,000.
Originally Posted by Dutch

Add to that a little discussed little detail that Chinese women are not particularly keen on Chinese men and will "step out" if given a chance to avoid having to be a Chinese wife.....

Put yourself on university with an international student body, and if you know what you're doing, the Chinese and Middle Eastern girls will make themselves available to you.
Bunch of old boomers on here are checking the savings account to see if they can swing $163,000 for a young chinese mail order bride as I type.
China has millions of surplus military aged males. When the next big shooting war happens that will make a huge difference because they can afford to take huge casualties that other nations cannot absorb. Numerical superiority is an often overlooked military tactic
Originally Posted by AKA_Spook

at least someone is paying attention.

The sooner at the better.

For months I've been waiting for the crash.
Americans can't help but leverage themselves to the max.
Gotta get ahead if the Jonses, out brag the Smiths.

With energy and food prices raising so fast, folks have to be getting squeezed. Guessing credit cards are keeping things propped up.

The longer it is put off, the further the fall when it happens.
Originally Posted by MAC
China has millions of surplus military aged males. When the next big shooting war happens that will make a huge difference because they can afford to take huge casualties that other nations cannot absorb. Numerical superiority is an often overlooked military tactic

That's one argument.
From a big picture standpoint.

Big pictures are made of small components.

Those "surplus military aged males" are all the only son, only child, of
millions of Chinese couples.

When they start getting slaughtered, there better be a dam good reason.
And it better be able to be passed off as defending the homeland.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by MAC

That's one argument.

You're trying to look at China through American eyes. That govt will crush any parents that complain about their kids getting killed in a war. They don't have a say in matters and do not have the rights we have here. They complain and they get a visit from a state official who puts a small caliber bullet in their head. The Chinese Govt completely controls the media and they would simply not report the casualties which is taking a page from the playbook Stalin used. Control the media, control the people.

You need to spend some time reading some history of repressive governments.
Originally Posted by MAC

That's one argument.

Or maybe the Chinese people will let their govt walk all over them, kind of like when they welded people in their homes.
Originally Posted by MAC
To maintain the population, China needs those young men to be home raising families, not just being cannon fodder. The communist government screwed the pooch years ago with their 1 child policy. They apparently never thought that people would kill off their baby girls in order to have a son.
Originally Posted by dassa
Originally Posted by MAC

That's one argument.

Or maybe the Chinese people will let their govt walk all over them, kind of like when they welded people in their homes.

One child. The only child of two parents. The only grand child of four grand parents. The only great-grand child of eight great grandparents. In a culture where the family line is one of the most treasured things in life. That's pushing a LOT of people into the "nothing left to lose" category, a notoriously hard to govern group.
The law of supply and demand shows its force in every market.
Originally Posted by dassa
Originally Posted by MAC

That's one argument.

One child. The only child of two parents. The only grand child of four grand parents. The only great-grand child of eight great grandparents. In a culture where the family line is one of the most treasured things in life. That's pushing a LOT of people into the "nothing left to lose" category, a notoriously hard to govern group.
They let themselves be welded in their houses. They don't have a spirit of rebellion.
What Dutch, et al said.

I think the Chinee powers don't care. They feel they can afford to lose a few tens of millions of people, as long as they stay in power.

Say....does that thinking sound familiar, or what?
That type of gender imbalance usually leads to war.

Bb
Some things never change, and very few people remember stories of the massed charges of Chinese soldiers in Korea, with only one of every three carrying rifles. The other two were screaming and blowing bugles, and were supposed to retrieve the rifle from a fallen comrade and press on. A seemingly endless supply of troops would overrun American positions with sheer mass of numbers. My landlord for a time was a medic in Korea, and he said the machine gunners in his unit kept a stash of spare barrels and got really good at changing melted-down barrels in the middle of a firefight. Does anyone really think China wouldn't repeat that kind of tactics?
Still cheaper than a divorce, in the US.
Originally Posted by MAC
China has millions of surplus military aged males.

Surplus to marriage, yes. Not surplus to supporting the aged-out populace and working.

I don't think those bachelors are useless, just screwed. Figuratively frown
Originally Posted by MAC

Technology can offset numbers pretty significantly.
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Originally Posted by MAC

Technology can offset numbers pretty significantly.
No matter how good the technology, I really don't think silicone wives will ever offset the low number of available women.

[Linked Image from cdn.shopify.com]
Originally Posted by MAC

That's one argument.

And that's the real problem. Chinese parents have not stomach for war since they have no "back up" kids. The loose the one and their family line is extinguished, forever.
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by MAC

That's one argument.

And that's the real problem. Chinese parents have not stomach for war since they have no "back up" kids. The loose the one and their family line is extinguished, forever.

So, as pointed out, what do you think the parents et al can do about it? They believe whatever their media tells them to believe, the media isn't ever going to tell them all, or even much truth, they have no effective weapons or organization, the leaders, army, police have all the power. "No stomach for war" - well who does? Except the ones who don't have to actually fight.

They ain't gonna do squat, even if they want to They are an enslaved nation, and we are getting there ourselves. Maybe we are already, most people just don't know it. The elites do, tho.

War is a very good way to test weapons, get rid of obsolete weaponry (or not so obsolete) lose population (easing economic stresses), stimulate the economy ( manufacturing new or replacement weapons, etc), and of course creating a crises to "unite the people" behind the government.
Originally Posted by las
Originally Posted by MAC

That's one argument.

So, as pointed out, what do you think the parents et al can do about it? They believe whatever their media tells them to believe, the media isn't ever going to tell them all, or even much truth, they have no effective weapons or organization, the leaders, army, police have all the power. "No stomach for war" - well who does? Except the ones who don't have to actually fight.

They ain't gonna do squat, even if they want to They are an enslaved nation, and we are getting there ourselves. Maybe we are already, most people just don't know it. The elites do, tho.

War is a very good way to test weapons, lose population (easing economic stresses), stimulate the economy ( manufacturing weapons, etc),
and of course creating a crises to "unite the people" behind the government.

Google Lying Flat.

The the problems of the CCP are growing.

Ha! I know from personal experience that Chinese men absolutely hate to see one of their gals with a White
Devil. We were at an art fair a few years back, and a Chinese artist wouldn’t even look at my wife when she spoke to him. Another mixed couple we met there said that happens to them all the time.

That old rule had exceptions based on ethnicity, location, and position. My wife has five brothers.
Yes, the Chi-coms try to control everything that reaches their subjects, from information to goods. Ironically, the CCP appears to be VERY sensitive to displays of civil unhappiness. The government in China responds comparatively quickly to demonstrations, first by stomping on the demonstrators, but also by stomping on whatever/whomever created the discontent. The government acts like they do not have confidence that they can withstand any serious popular discontent.
Yes, the Chi-coms try to control everything that reaches their subjects, from information to goods. Ironically, the CCP appears to be VERY sensitive to displays of civil unhappiness. The government in China responds comparatively quickly to demonstrations, first by stomping on the demonstrators, but also by stomping on whatever/whomever created the discontent. The government acts like they do not have confidence that they can withstand any serious popular discontent.

One moment the Soviet Union was there. Then a slight stumble and within two weeks, shattered into fragments.
Originally Posted by MAC
To maintain the population, China needs those young men to be home raising families, not just being cannon fodder. The communist government screwed the pooch years ago with their 1 child policy. They apparently never thought that people would kill off their baby girls in order to have a son.

Wrong. These are young males without wives. They are surplus. You need to look at the population of China by gender. They have way more males than females and those will be cannon fodder. Engage your grey matter.
People in power fear nothing more than being powerless.
It is a drug, in many cases life. For the CCP, they know it literally
is their life. Power, or death.

No people are ever controlled. They yield power.
From the US of the past, to the Chinese.

Prisons, to schools.

Mussolini, to Gaddafi.

Large scale war would bring many hardships, couple that with
losing the entire family line, Momma ain't gonna be happy.

But we are all talking out out butts, based on our perceptions.
Context, real or propaganda, would rule.

The length of a conflict would matter a lot too.

Easy to get support for future action, losing the son is theory only.
And everyone thinks it will happen to someone else.
Let it simmer a few years, everyone seeing many families lose that son.
Every Mom living in terror of getting that news...

Who would have believed the "Domestic Vietnam" experience could play
out in 1959? The worst effects were isolated to a few cities and
colleges. Much of America never turned, but they did lose confidence
in leadership. As news from the protest areas kept coming, as the
number of lost and wounded young men grew, more and more
people started asking "Why".

The China of today isn't USA 1970.
It is much different than China 1970. The time past since the worst
hardships, the more recent economic successes, the loosening of
many controls, increased (but limited) access to information...

But here we are trying to predict the actions of a billion people 10,000
miles away. With as much expected accuracy as the know everything's who
spend hours telling us how a 1 hour football game will go.

This ^^ x 100
Originally Posted by MAC
Originally Posted by MAC

Wrong. These are young males without wives. They are surplus. You need to look at the population of China by gender. They have way more males than females and those will be cannon fodder. Engage your grey matter.

Then who supports their parents in old age?
Nice pic Rock Chuck.
So, I've read that the 1 child policy was about China prepping for war despite the social consequences. What better scenario than to have a surplus of fighting age males come go time?
Also, you think China has gender transitioning, tide pod eating and piss poor education standards for their citizens? Also, none of them, I've heard, had to take an mrna injection.
Whos playing chess and who's playing checkers?

The only relief I see is to invade another country and take their women. Mostly males will be killed but that should even up the odds a bit.

kwg
Originally Posted by cath8r
So, I've read that the 1 child policy was about China prepping for war despite the social consequences. What better scenario than to have a surplus of fighting age males come go time?
Also, you think China has gender transitioning, tide pod eating and piss poor education standards for their citizens? Also, none of them, I've heard, had to take an mrna injection.
Whos playing chess and who's playing checkers?

Preparing for war had nothing to do with it. They bought into the leftist overpopulation lie that we see today as the religion of global climate change.
Their dictator does not care, he gets all the pouzzy he wants.
Polyandry
Another thing that weights into the equation is that males of some means do not marry until they are in their early 30's and once a girl is not married by 22 she is not desirable

BRIDE PRICES

You ever been there?
Originally Posted by blanket
Another thing that weights into the equation is that males of some means do not marry until they are in their early 30's and once a girl is not married by 22 she is not desirable
It's not 22.

The Chinese term is Sheng nu. It generally applies to single women 27 and older.
Originally Posted by las
Originally Posted by MAC

That's one argument.

War is a very good way to test weapons, lose population (easing economic stresses), stimulate the economy ( manufacturing weapons, etc),

Google Lying Flat.

It’s worse than that -there’s the “let it rot” phenomenon.

I have not found a single source regarding Chinese social or financial trends that completely aligns with my personal experience. And yes, I’ve been there. I think 8 trips plus living there for the better part of two years 2015-17.

What I think happens, is that someone will find something outrageous to write about, and it gets wide publicity, and lots of people with zero personal knowledge chime in… Kinda like social media everywhere.
Originally Posted by blanket
It's not 22.

The Chinese term is Sheng nu. It generally applies to single women 27 and older.

And even that is changing, figure more like 30 if she has a degree and has a career.

That said, a colleague got married about six months after telling me she thought she would be a bad wife and that she would prefer to be single. She finally succumbed to family pressure, married the guy that had been arranged and immediately got pregnant. She’s happy being a mom, but admits it was a marriage of convenience. Her 29th birthday was coming up, this was back in 2018.
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley
Originally Posted by las
Originally Posted by MAC

That's one argument.

Google Lying Flat.

It’s worse than that -there’s the “let it rot” phenomenon.

I have not found a single source regarding Chinese social or financial trends that completely aligns with my personal experience. And yes, I’ve been there. I think 8 trips plus living there for the better part of two years 2015-17.

What I think happens, is that someone will find something outrageous to write about, and it gets wide publicity, and lots of people with zero personal knowledge chime in… Kinda like social media everywhere.

If you'd like to share your personal perspectives I'd love to hear them.
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Some things never change, and very few people remember stories of the massed charges of Chinese soldiers in Korea, with only one of every three carrying rifles. The other two were screaming and blowing bugles, and were supposed to retrieve the rifle from a fallen comrade and press on. A seemingly endless supply of troops would overrun American positions with sheer mass of numbers. My landlord for a time was a medic in Korea, and he said the machine gunners in his unit kept a stash of spare barrels and got really good at changing melted-down barrels in the middle of a firefight. Does anyone really think China wouldn't repeat that kind of tactics?

Chinese Commies learned that 3 men to one rifle BS from the Russians in WW2. The Soviets did the same thing on the Russian front...and also gave each man, a bandoler of just 5 or 6 rounds ONLY. My Step Dad was a young Marine in Korea, was with the first Marines to be shipped over from Japan in 1950. 18 years old and 160 pounds of in shape Marine Corps. He ended up leading a Marine Long Range Recon unit, on raids and Search & Destroy missions at night and they had to try to sleep in the Trenches on our side, the following day. He was in constant combat until the day the Korean War ended, on July 27th 1953. That was his 21st birthday, he weighed 95 pounds.

He talked of, what it was like in the trenches in Korea. Wave after wave of chinese troops in attacks. There were human waves of people, with only the front ones carrying a rifle, followed by two more men who were supposed to pick it up and keep charging. The leaders for the attack, did not lead from in front of their men, but from behind. Charges were pushed by Communist Party Political Officers, who carried AKs. Anyone trying to retreat were mowed down by the Political Officers. The Marine Corps machine gunners would try to mow down as many of the people they could in the front of the ranks, with 30 caliber machine guns. 50 caliber machine guns were fired at the Political Officers in the rear. Their uniforms stood out, among the troops with OD Quilted Fatigues, in sharp contrast. The Marines also used the ONTOS, to fire on the Political Officers. each had six 105 or 106 Mm Recoilless Rifles on them, mounted on a tank chassis.

At times the bodies would stack so high, the ONTOS would have to blow shooting lanes for the troops to see the next wave coming behind the dead.
Dad said the Marines could never figure out why, but somehow the Chinese troops would know when all the political officers had been killed and would turn and retreat. The Marines would cease fire, to conserve ammo. Even in winter and the cold, after the shooting stopped, Marines couldn't help notice that their feet were sloshing in blood, that had came into the trenches, as it would run into there in little creeks, from the carnage that the attack had caused, flowing down the hill. You could tell the new Marines in the unit. After the fighting, they were the ones barfing their guts out from all the carnage they had just endured...experienced Marines were use to it.

My step Dad really never did come home from the Korean War. I remember times growing up, at 3 in the morning, I'd hear him balling his eyes out.
He never wanted anyone to see him cry, so he'd just hold it in, until bad dreams woke him up....in the middle of the night.

Doubt much has changed in the Chinese military, and their indifference to sacrificing thousands of young men's lives. Seems the Russians are doing the same thing in the Ukraine right now. Their units are followed by mobile cremation units to get rid of the bodies of their dead.

can the young generation of this nation, stand up to that kind of experiences to defend our nation and its existence? I highly doubt it.
Originally Posted by MAC

As usual, when the govt screws things up, it only consolidates & enhances it's power.
The govt will ship those parents to mass-care facilities.
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Bunch of old boomers on here are checking the savings account to see if they can swing $163,000 for a young chinese mail order bride as I type.
This old Boomer is like Johnny Carson the night Jack Hannah brought the ferrets and one bit Johnny through the web of his hand. Jack had the other one and tried to hand Johnny the one he was holding to pry the other little weasel off his hand, and Johnny said , "I got one, why would I want another one..."

50 years with the same old storm and strife, if something happens to her first, there are two chances I would ever give the keys to my life to another woman. None, and absolutely farking none.
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Originally Posted by MAC

As usual, when the govt screws things up, it only consolidates & enhances it's power.
The govt will ship those parents to mass-care facilities.

With one child, they'll have two married adults caring for 4 parents, and with the new 3 child policy, 3 kids as well.

If they kill off all the "excess" young men, they are not there to take care of their parents AND they lose the tax revenue.

Have to wonder if those "mass care" facilities will be collocated with new power generation units.
Originally Posted by jackmountain

The chinese massage girls at the "Get Lucky" spa down by the interstate are a lot cheaper than that. That's why they all want to come to America.
Originally Posted by Fubarski
Still cheaper than a divorce, in the US.
another reason divorce should never be common
© 24hourcampfire