Home
Posted By: high_country_ I'd like to thank.... - 11/18/22
My dad. He was a recent recipient of the quilts of Valor.

Dad was born to parents in prison camp because grandpa was Japanese and went on to fight for the country that took every possession his family had.....and has been a Patriot the entire way.

Thanks Dad.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Posted By: PJGunner Re: I'd like to thank.... - 11/18/22
Thank your dad for his service for me.
PJ
Posted By: tater74 Re: I'd like to thank.... - 11/18/22
Awesome. Thanks for his service.
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: I'd like to thank.... - 11/18/22
Hats off to a great American!
Posted By: Valsdad Re: I'd like to thank.... - 11/18/22
Dude,

That's amazeballs and the coolest thing I've seen anyone post here in awhile.

Thanks Mr Yonemura.
Posted By: fester Re: I'd like to thank.... - 11/18/22
Originally Posted by high_country_

Dad was born to parents in prison camp because grandpa was Japanese and went on to fight for the country that took every possession his family had.....and has been a Patriot the entire way.

Thanks Dad.

Pretty effin cool.
Your lucky.
That’s a tear jerker OP. Very cool!
Posted By: kamo_gari Re: I'd like to thank.... - 11/18/22
Way cool. Grateful for your dad's service, as well as those who recognized same. Pity the folks who made the quilt couldn't figure out how to spell 'medal' correctly, but the sentiment is very much appreciated. *5* bronze stars? Just what the hell did he do with that dozer, anyway? wink

Our families share some American history. My paternal family was locked up in WWII too. Grandma, grandpa and their three kids, including my dad, who is the last one still alive at 85, spent the war in a desert prison camp, courtesy of Uncle Sam. He spent his entire career designing stuff for the DoD to kill commies, too. F'king disgraceful what happened back then. Heart Mountain for your fam'? Gila River here.

Happy that there are still some patriots left, and thanks for sharing, HC.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: I'd like to thank.... - 11/18/22
Wow!
High Country, Kamo,
your father's are interesting Americans.
Role models.

Wish I could sit a few hours and pick their brains.
Get to their conflicted feeling about their histories.
Obviously, they have focused on the good and siezed the
opportunity that is America.

Look at them, their story.
Look at so many today, supported by the government, so many opportunities, crying that "It's not fair!"

Guys, tell your Dad's they have my highest respect!
Posted By: K22 Re: I'd like to thank.... - 11/18/22
Absolutely awesome high_country.
Many, many thanks to your Dad from another vet.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: I'd like to thank.... - 11/18/22
I'd like to Thank your Dad too!!

I've meet some of the people involved with Quilts of Valor, good folks they are.

1969-1970, I don't know what he did but chances are he saw a lot of schit, your Oldman is a Badass. Please send along my deepest gratitude for the sacrifices that he made for this Great Country.
Posted By: RiverRider Re: I'd like to thank.... - 11/18/22
*Salute* to your dad.

I wrote a paper in college on Executive Order 9066 and posted on that here several years ago (and incorrectly identified it as EO 4066, to be corrected by Kamo Gari--thanks KG). I was shocked to learn about that injustice, and that the country allowed it to happen. That such a thing, which rivals the treatment of many native American tribes received in the 19th Century, could happen in the 20th Century was an eye opener. It appears that we are all the Indians now.

Your dad deserves far more than a quilt in recognition...but the sentiment does have value. The man represents America's best.
My dad is closing in on 80 and has just now began to discuss his days in nam in detail. He always gave me the abbreviated version of how he went from private to pushing the show because they had ran out of men. He still carries a bullet and some shrapnel and hasn't walked in years without a cane.

When I was 18 I told him that I wanted to join the Marines. That was the only time in my life I remember him completely going crazy on me. He damn near disowned me after nearly laying me out. A couple days later I was ejected from a vehicle and nearly dead which ended my chances of enlisting, he always told me that was god doing me a favor.

I'm not sure if he'll ever tell me everything or if I even want to know. I will say that the old man was never afraid of anything in my life time and I have yet to see him shed a tear.

For those who spoke so kindly, thank you. My dad rarely wants to be recognized, but this is the first time in a long time that he's really been proud of something......and it's certainly something to be proud of.
Posted By: smokepole Re: I'd like to thank.... - 11/18/22
A big thank you to your dad. And a "welcome home," too.
Posted By: mark shubert Re: I'd like to thank.... - 11/18/22
Originally Posted by RiverRider
*Salute* to your dad.

I wrote a paper in college on Executive Order 9066 and posted on that here several years ago (and incorrectly identified it as EO 4066, to be corrected by Kamo Gari--thanks KG). I was shocked to learn about that injustice, and that the country allowed it to happen. That such a thing, which rivals the treatment of many native American tribes received in the 19th Century, could happen in the 20th Century was an eye opener. It appears that we are all the Indians now.

Your dad deserves far more than a quilt in recognition...but the sentiment does have value. The man represents America's best.

Andrew, I've known of that disgrace most of my life.
Many detainees were "hosted" at Santa Fe, and many more in SE Colorado.
That was a shameful moment in the history of the US, for sure.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: I'd like to thank.... - 11/18/22
Thank you for posting , and I thank him, for his service.
Posted By: Raeford Re: I'd like to thank.... - 11/18/22
Great story and many, many thanks to your dad and all who are serving or served!
Posted By: SS336 Re: I'd like to thank.... - 11/18/22
Very cool, that’s a great honor. Thank him for his service for me. He sounds like quite a hero.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: I'd like to thank.... - 11/18/22
Treated so badly but still giving back 🫡
Posted By: Nebraska Re: I'd like to thank.... - 11/18/22
Outstanding!!! A man we can all be proud of!!
Posted By: Osky Re: I'd like to thank.... - 11/18/22
That shines, truly.

Osky
Posted By: Old Ornery Re: I'd like to thank.... - 11/19/22
Your Dad sounds like a great guy, and someone to be proud of. Sorry the US took your property back then.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: I'd like to thank.... - 11/19/22
Originally Posted by high_country_

Thanks Dad.

simply

thank you Dad
Posted By: Ranger_Green Re: I'd like to thank.... - 11/19/22
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Way cool. Grateful for your dad's service, as well as those who recognized same. Pity the folks who made the quilt couldn't figure out how to spell 'medal' correctly, but the sentiment is very much appreciated. *5* bronze stars? Just what the hell did he do with that dozer, anyway? wink

Our families share some American history. My paternal family was locked up in WWII too. Grandma, grandpa and their three kids, including my dad, who is the last one still alive at 85, spent the war in a desert prison camp, courtesy of Uncle Sam. He spent his entire career designing stuff for the DoD to kill commies, too. F'king disgraceful what happened back then. Heart Mountain for your fam'? Gila River here.

Happy that there are still some patriots left, and thanks for sharing, HC.

If you can visit Manzinar. about fifteen miles north of Lone Pine, California, on the US 395. It is the best preserved camp still standing, though there are two buildings left. One if the high school that the interned citizens built for their kids. It has been converted itno a Visitors Center.

It is a very moving and sometimes disturbing experience. My then twelve year old burst into tears six times while reading the displays. But there are chronicles of heroism like your families displayed as well as the vain support of good Americans. I am glad that my children experienced this.

https://www.nps.gov/manz/index.htm
They were at Minnedokka Kamo.
Posted By: rainshot Re: I'd like to thank.... - 11/19/22
Great testament. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: ironbender Re: I'd like to thank.... - 11/19/22
Great post, HC. Appreciation for your dad.
© 24hourcampfire