Home
Posted By: Cluggins I Hate Thanksgiving Turkey - 11/21/22
In fact, I hate most Thanksgiving food. About 100 percent of people who cook turkey, cook every damn bit of moisture out of it. Dry ass dressing. Bland ass mashed potatoes. Cranberry sauce right out of the Great Value can. Kroger pumpkin pie. I got so damn tired of choking down Rotunda's cooking that I started unplugging the stove the Wednesday before. I tell her I won't be able to fix it until Friday when stores open back up and I can buy parts. She wised up last year and got us invited to her mother's house. Her mother is even worse. That sow can't boil water. This year after our stove breaks, I'll have to sneak over to her mothers house and flip the breaker.
I'm sorry you've never had properly cooked turkey.
Originally Posted by TimberRunner

I could make a pair of shoes out of Rotundas turkey. It's so dry the gravy runs off of it like piss on an elephant ear plant. The worst part of it is the leftovers that I have to eat for the rest of the week. I'd be happy if someone abolished the holiday.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: I Hate Thanksgiving Turkey - 11/21/22
I'd invite me over to our place for turkey day, but...........................................................

we're having it with friends.
Make it yourself.
Posted By: Mike_S Re: I Hate Thanksgiving Turkey - 11/21/22
Family and the holidays, perfect together.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Make it yourself.

It's not my job. I didn't get married so that I would have to cook for myself.
You sound like a miserable c unt, which is probably why you're trolling.
Posted By: TimZ Re: I Hate Thanksgiving Turkey - 11/21/22
We have gone the grilled ribeye route a couple times instead of turkey and fixins, that seemed to be pretty popular.....

And that solves the leftover problem as well....
You guys in the States got Thanksgiving all screwed up. Up here in Canada we have it early in October.

It's way better that way.
Originally Posted by Cluggins
Make it yourself.

You fugged up a married someone who couldn't cook.

Time to learn big guy.
Supercub,

Having been in Newfoundland for Thanksgiving many times, I will support your statement. Also, a Jigs Dinner is outstanding eats.
Originally Posted by TimZ
We have gone the grilled ribeye route a couple times instead of turkey and fixins, that seemed to be pretty popular.....

That's my speed right there. I can throw down on a good ribeye on the Oklahoma Joes, but they insist on a traditional Thanksgiving meal.
Originally Posted by SuperCub
You guys in the States got Thanksgiving all screwed up. Up here in Canada we have it early in October.

The Brussels sprouts in the garden haven't had a proper frost on them by Oct down here.
I cook the turkey at Christmas.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Damn, it looks like Rotunda decorated your house too.
Posted By: dale06 Re: I Hate Thanksgiving Turkey - 11/21/22
Had an early thanksgiving yesterday at sons house. He cooked Turkey on his smoker. It was not real smoky, which was fine with us. It was partially stuffed with several fresh herbs and was quite moist and flavorful. The dressing was delightful, bread pieces, dried cherries, some nuts, celery, spices, fresh herbs, and was outstanding. Mashed potatoes had some garlic in them, mmmmm.
And some kind of corn casserole with whole grain corn and cornmeal.
I was stuffed and it was for sure a five star meal.
Whose cooking make all the difference.

Damn, it looks like Rotunda decorated your house too.

LOL ...... That pic is about 25yrs old.

That's my speed right there. I can throw down on a good ribeye on the Oklahoma Joes, but they insist on a traditional Thanksgiving meal.
How do we keep our balance?

That I can tell you in one word...............................Tradition!

Originally Posted by Valsdad

Tradition. Sure wish the pilgrims had slaughtered a fat grain fed steer.
Posted By: Teal Re: I Hate Thanksgiving Turkey - 11/21/22
Cook the turkey in a brown paper bag - comes out perfect every time.

I don't care for cranberry myself but the rest is good.
Originally Posted by Teal
Cook the turkey in a brown paper bag - comes out perfect every time.

I don't care for cranberry myself but the rest is good.

Those little plastic pop-ups work perfectly EVERY time.
Make it yourself.
Bingo, that is what I do, that way I am not the only turkey.
It's gumbo and chargrilled oysters for us this year.
Thanksgiving is my favorite dinner of the year. It is a giant feast of country cooking in these parts. Perhaps it is a Carolina thing?
Thanks Giving has always been one of my favorite holidays. Store bought stuffing with apples, raisins and giblets added is the best part of the meal IMO. Pumpkin pies, Christmas cookies, candied yams, mashed potatoes, corn, and gravy, turkey, a little bit of cranberry sauce.

I like most of the foods, smelling the meal cook, time with family, and the unofficial kickoff to Christmas.
Once you pressure cook a turkey, you realize that everything else is inferior.
Oh....and you're out 90 minutes of your day.
Posted By: Jcubed Re: I Hate Thanksgiving Turkey - 11/21/22
Make it yourself.

In today's society...this.

Ymmv
Turkey is a zero for me, or in today’s speak, a hard pass. My Thanksgiving & Christmas dinners are Cornish Game hens, Pea Salad, Broccoli Casserole, Mc & cheese & Green Bean Casserole. I make the Pecan pies from my 1880’s era recipe. Make the whipped topping from scratch with some Ammaretto, yum, yum! My family clamors for my Pecan Pie.
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Tradition. Sure wish the pilgrims had slaughtered a fat grain fed steer.

I think it's agreed that they probably didn't eat turkey. Venison and waterfowl were likely the proteins for that meal.
Rather have mtn dew and cheetos myself

but family and all…
Cooking a turkey in a plastic bag is so easy, I can't understand how anyone could screw it up.
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Turkey is a zero for me, or in today’s speak, a hard pass. My Thanksgiving & Christmas dinners are Cornish Game hens, Pea Salad, Broccoli Casserole, Mc & cheese & Green Bean Casserole. I make the Pecan pies from my 1880’s era recipe. Make the whipped topping from scratch with some Ammaretto, yum, yum! My family clamors for my Pecan Pie.

You had me right up until Amaretto. For the life of me I can't figure out why anyone needs an alcoholic beverage added to their dessert. I sat down at a nice restaurant here in NOLA with my wife last month. Every one of their desserts had alcohol in it. They tried to get too cute and creative with every single menu item. I can appreciate a little culinary creativity, but son of a bitch, this place was over the top.

"Truffle Oil Braised Swan Taint With a Side Maraschino Cherry Kale compote on a bed of Arugala."
Posted By: Redneck Re: I Hate Thanksgiving Turkey - 11/21/22
Originally Posted by high_country_
...except for one that's been on a grill's rotisserie.. This year, unfortunately, I have to use the oven.. But I use a big v-rack and the bird goes on it tits down.. Take it out when the indicated meat thermometer is ten degrees shy of 180f.. Cover it and let it sit for 25-30 mns before carving..
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by high_country_
...except for one that's been on a grill's rotisserie.. This year, unfortunately, I have to use the oven.. But I use a big v-rack and the bird goes on it tits down.. Take it out when the indicated meat thermometer is ten degrees shy of 180f.. Cover it and let it sit for 25-30 mns before carving..

Breast down can make a big difference, as can waiting to carve it. Helps preserve the juices.
Dayum

My 22 quart mirro I doubt even a 12 lb bird would fit in it.

how big of a pressure cooker yall got?
Every few years the wife and I say ‘screw it’ to having Thanksgiving away from our home because of the poorly made food by family.

This year we’re gonna be by ourselves and the menu will look the same as this picture taken in 2020.

I make the bird and mashed tatos. Wife handles the rest.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

🦫
Posted By: efw Re: I Hate Thanksgiving Turkey - 11/21/22
OP sounds like a bitch so the fact he’d hate thanksgiving makes sense.

Thanksgiving food isn’t hard to get right and if you’re too lazy to do it yourself but want to blame your wife who you chose that says a lot more about you than her.

If I had to I’d eat ham or pot roast on Thanksgiving because the day is about just that… giving thanks… not the food.

The fact you can complain the way you do shows on one hand how much you have to be thankful for, and on the other just how ungrateful you are for what you have.
Tony Chachere’s on mash taters
This is someone who is bright enough to understand the post.

Originally Posted by Beaver10
Every few years the wife and I say ‘screw it’ to having Thanksgiving away from our home because of the poorly made food by family.

🦫

This is someone who is sluggish on the uptake.

Originally Posted by efw
OP sounds like a bitch so the fact he’d hate thanksgiving makes sense.

Thanksgiving food isn’t hard to get right and if you’re too lazy to do it yourself but want to blame your wife who you chose that says a lot more about you than her.

If I had to I’d eat ham or pot roast on Thanksgiving because the day is about just that… giving thanks… not the food.

The fact you can complain the way you do shows on one hand how much you have to be thankful for, and on the other just how ungrateful you are for what you have.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: I Hate Thanksgiving Turkey - 11/21/22
We were invited to a vegetarian thanksgiving.... but declined.

My wife is smoking salmon today for thanksgiving with meat eaters.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

You had me right up until Amaretto. For the life of me I can't figure out why anyone needs an alcoholic beverage added to their dessert. I sat down at a nice restaurant here in NOLA with my wife last month. Every one of their desserts had alcohol in it. They tried to get too cute and creative with every single menu item. I can appreciate a little culinary creativity, but son of a bitch, this place was over the top.

"Truffle Oil Braised Swan Taint With a Side Maraschino Cherry Kale compote on a bed of Arugala."
I think you forgot the baby peas in an Organic Balsamic reduction
Originally Posted by Clarkm

Originally Posted by robertham1
Originally Posted by Clarkm

lololololololol

You ingrate!

This year we’re gonna be by ourselves and the menu will look the same as this picture taken in 2020.

🦫
I wanna go to the Beavs for T Day.

Looks very good and simple.
👍👍👍
I do something similar to what's suggested here, but Geno's recipe looks better than mine.

I suggest you try it. It will change your mind on Turkey.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...23407/ultimate-turkey-brine#Post17823407

Straight up !

Tried a stuffed turkey breast roll roast, this year, to try & cut back on left overs.

Nope.

Christmas, this year, we'll try a turkey breast crown roast.
Posted By: BigPine Re: I Hate Thanksgiving Turkey - 11/21/22
That looks awesome. My favorite meal of the year by far.
I'm gonna grill another one this year. Tear it up and season like eastern NC pork bbq.

Sometimes the other half will do a smaller one in the oven as well.

We usually have around 25 or 30 head come by to graze.......
Posted By: hanco Re: I Hate Thanksgiving Turkey - 11/21/22
Smoked with mesquite make a great Turkey
I've made some good turkeys, with the best being one cooked in a bag. My wife makes a fine turkey, using Super Secret Squirrel Shiit methods. I've already decided that after 50 years of turkey, next year, I'm starting a prime rib tradition for the family, and swapping the traditional Christmas ham with even more prime rib.
Posted By: Jcubed Re: I Hate Thanksgiving Turkey - 11/21/22
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
I've made some good turkeys, with the best being one cooked in a bag. My wife makes a fine turkey, using Super Secret Squirrel Shiit methods. I've already decided that after 50 years of turkey, next year, I'm starting a prime rib tradition for the family, and swapping the traditional Christmas ham with even more prime rib.

Bless you!
In fact, I hate most Thanksgiving food. About 100 percent of people who cook turkey, cook every damn bit of moisture out of it. Dry ass dressing. Bland ass mashed potatoes. Cranberry sauce right out of the Great Value can. Kroger pumpkin pie. I got so damn tired of choking down Rotunda's cooking that I started unplugging the stove the Wednesday before. I tell her I won't be able to fix it until Friday when stores open back up and I can buy parts. She wised up last year and got us invited to her mother's house. Her mother is even worse. That sow can't boil water. This year after our stove breaks, I'll have to sneak over to her mothers house and flip the breaker.

If I were you, I'd put a bullet in your head and put us all out of your misery.
My brother has been elected to take care of the turkey. He smokes one and deep fries another. We’ve only had a problem if he has a bit too much scotch. 😁
We have a great time together and have all the different traditional dishes and if your belly isn’t popping afterwards, it’s your own fault. Nap time to follow but my older sister is the “nap Nazi” and she doesn’t like to see anyone with their eyes closed 😴
Wifey wraps the turkey in bacon if the turkey is to dry I eat the bacon
Posted By: skeen Re: I Hate Thanksgiving Turkey - 11/21/22
I Hate Thanksgiving Turkey

Man, I love a beautifully browned, juicy, cooked turkey. whistle

If they insist on a traditional Thanksgiving meal, then you should insist they prepare it properly.
It’s our turn to Host this year- thank heavens. I’m smoking a turkey and a pork butt. If you are going to roast turkey, at least put it in an oven bag. They are like eating sawdust otherwise.
Posted By: SKane Re: I Hate Thanksgiving Turkey - 11/21/22
Make it yourself.

JFC.
First generation in your family to walk upright?
Posted By: kwg020 Re: I Hate Thanksgiving Turkey - 11/21/22

We did prime rib one year. Yes !!! This year my daughter is making the turkey and fixings. This is the first time she is doing this. I wish her luck. But, the odds are I will eat it no matter what. My mother used to do fresh cranberries. She boiled them down and made them extra delicious. I wish my mom was around so she could show my daughter how it's done.

Happy thanksgiving rifle loonies. And, many more to come.

kwg
Posted By: pete53 Re: I Hate Thanksgiving Turkey - 11/21/22
i inject the turkey`s i cook and or smoke the whole family love my turkeys tame or wild . my hunting friends who have ate one of my turkey dinners enjoy them too when we go on a week hunt i will cook a big turkey at camp so we got plenty leftovers for a few days . its the person with the right seasoning ability who cooks the turkey rather its tasty or sucks to eat .
Originally Posted by SKane
Make it yourself.

JFC.
You really think he does?

+1

Not a big deal to bake a perfect turkey

Do mine on a Weber 3 burner grill (middle burner off)

300* low & slow....22# this year......so about 5 hrs in a Reynolds oven bag
Originally Posted by slumlord
Dayum

My 22 quart mirro I doubt even a 12 lb bird would fit in it.

how big of a pressure cooker yall got?

12 and 24 quart.
Originally Posted by SKane
Make it yourself.

JFC.

🤣😝

🦫
Usually go to in laws for Thanksgiving. They do a fine job. I hosted in 2020. Had a 18 for dinner.

Smoked turkey from a local farm. Brined with herb butter under skin.

Drippings from pan under turkey on smoker make the base for a great smokey giblet gravy.

Made a 6x batch of cornbread to form the base for cornbread, oyster and pecan dressing.

I’ll bet the OP is the life of any party.

Being a T-Totaler, I do not imbibe, ever. We do, however, appreciate the flavors the right amount of Amaretto imparts. Don’t partake in any liquor as a beverage. So, I feel the same as you.

Being a T-Totaler, I do not imbibe, ever. We do, however, appreciate the flavors the right amount of Amaretto imparts. Don’t partake in any liquor as a beverage. So, I feel the same as you.

Post your 1880’s pecan pie recipe.

🦫
Posted By: EdM Re: I Hate Thanksgiving Turkey - 11/22/22
Seeing if HEB can pull their normal "this is killer".

Where'd you leave your bicycle?

I could make a pair of shoes out of Rotundas turkey. It's so dry the gravy runs off of it like piss on an elephant ear plant. The worst part of it is the leftovers that I have to eat for the rest of the week. I'd be happy if someone abolished the holiday.

It's a shame. Wife and I are both great cooks, not bragging. If you can make it here by 4:00 p.m. you would be welcome to an excellent traditional Thanksgiving dinner.

The pumpkin pie and pecan pie are home made, as is the cranberry-orange sauce. The gravy doesn't come in a jar, and it isn't made with a package mix. The wife makes potato rolls, mashed potatos, sweet potatos, yellow squash, and our pine nut dressing is moist and flavorful. There'll be fresh green beans with almonds, Brussels sprouts, sweet'n sour red cabbage, green salad, and we'll have several wine choices, a white and a spice-and-berry Piont Noir. We will no doubt open a dessert wine, probably Vouvray, and maybe port and good cheeses.

Bring your own cigar and brandy.
Posted By: hardway Re: I Hate Thanksgiving Turkey - 11/22/22
I do mine in a deep pit (buried in the dirt).....same way they do pigs in Hawaii. I have an old concrete manhole cone that I buried in the ground.... make a big fire the night before....spice it up a little in the morning, as soon as the coals cook down I take the turkey...usually just inject it with apple cider/ butter and some dry rub..... triple wrapped in foil. I throw it in there..... put the metal lid on and cover with wet dirt until I don't see any more smoke....about 6 hours later it's like juicy/buttery/pulled turkey.... don't need nothing fancy like my concrete pit...can just dig a hole about 2.5 deep and build a fire....only difference is you need to do the banana leaves and chicken wire thing to keep the dirt out.
Originally Posted by hardway
I do mine in a deep pit (buried in the dirt).....same way they do pigs in Hawaii. I have an old concrete manhole cone that I buried in the ground.... make a big fire the night before....spice it up a little in the morning, as soon as the coals cook down I take the turkey...usually just inject it with apple cider/ butter and some dry rub..... triple wrapped in foil. I throw it in there..... put the metal lid on and cover with wet dirt until I don't see any more smoke....about 6 hours later it's like juicy/buttery/pulled turkey.... don't need nothing fancy like my concrete pit...can just dig a hole about 2.5 deep and build a fire....only difference is you need to do the banana leaves and chicken wire thing to keep the dirt out.

THAT sounds fantastic! cool laugh
I'd kill myself if this is what I thought of turkey day and it's food ....
Posted By: DMc Re: I Hate Thanksgiving Turkey - 11/22/22
Make it yourself.
Originally Posted by atvalaska

Yep, this and New Years prime rib are two of the few reasons to live.
Posted By: 79S Re: I Hate Thanksgiving Turkey - 11/22/22
Originally Posted by renegade50

🦫
I wanna go to the Beavs for T Day.

Looks very good and simple.
👍👍👍

I thought your old lady put on a good shindig??
Originally Posted by hardway

Would love to see pics of this setup.
There are some great traditions posted. The op is either trolling or one sad sob.
16 this year.

Fresh turkey 32 lbs from a local farm. This year I am dry brining salt rosemary and sage. Mashed, brussel sprouts with, rhutabaga,
chestnut apple and cornbread stuffing, bby beet, grean beans, cranberry sauce and jelly, homemade milk buns, cognac gravy

We have seafood as appetizer as tribute to the first TG @ plymouth rock. Shrimp cocktail, crab cakes and oysters

3 home made pies. Pecan, Apple croustade, pumpkin

Kolschs, Session Ales, Ipa, Stouts from local brewery in growlers, armagnac, port, knob creek bourbon and foot ball.

Next day we go out for Italian.
Posted By: Joshm28 Re: I Hate Thanksgiving Turkey - 11/22/22
Man up and fry or smoke a Turkey like us southern rednecks.
This.

Love a well prepared turkey with good dressing, mashed potatoes, and gravy.
Posted By: skeen Re: I Hate Thanksgiving Turkey - 11/22/22

Man, TimberRunner, that's a good lookin' turkey.
Originally Posted by skeen

TR, has the culinary skills that would be welcomed at a Michelin restaurant.

If only he was a hot, blonde chick.

🦫
Buy a prime rib.
I will eat some turkey but prefer a honey glazed spiral ham.
/Users/briany/Desktop/IMG_3627.JPG
/Users/briany/Desktop/IMG_3629.JPG
Posted By: 45_100 Re: I Hate Thanksgiving Turkey - 11/22/22
My grandmothers were, my mother and my wife are all great cooks. Traditional Thanksgiving meals with all the trimmings have been something to look forward to, all year. Lots of leftovers for turkey sandwiches, turkey enchiladas and turkey soup, mashed potatoes and gravy from the giblets, dressing and turkey gravy.
The best way we found to cook a turkey is on the rotisserie on our BBQ grill. The largest we can cook is about 14 pounds and sometimes that is hard to find. We put a big aluminum foil, disposable pan under the turkey to catch all the drippings. Kind of a team effort to get the turkey all trussed up so it doesn't flop around on the rotisserie.
Posted By: Teal Re: I Hate Thanksgiving Turkey - 11/22/22
Originally Posted by skeen

TR, has the culinary skills that would be welcomed at a Michelin restaurant.

If only he was a hot, blonde chick.

🦫

If only.
Posted By: SS336 Re: I Hate Thanksgiving Turkey - 11/22/22
Last years wild turkey. Doing the same this year. 😋

Usually go to in laws for Thanksgiving. They do a fine job. I hosted in 2020. Had a 18 for dinner.

Drippings from pan under turkey on smoker make the base for a great smokey giblet gravy.

Made a 6x batch of cornbread to form the base for cornbread, oyster and pecan dressing.

If somebody showed around here with dressing that has oysters and nuts in it there would be a mutiny.
Posted By: mathman Re: I Hate Thanksgiving Turkey - 11/22/22
If somebody showed around here with dressing that has oysters and nuts in it there would be a mutiny.

Well, what do you guys know anyway? grin
Originally Posted by atvalaska

It is entirely possible that you and others missed the hyperbole in the OP. Mind you that I could have read it wrong. I do miss a lot of context in online chatter.
Posted By: wahoo Re: I Hate Thanksgiving Turkey - 11/22/22
if the turkey is dry, try gravy.
Originally Posted by wahoo
Gravy as the main course??

Far out man

I like your style

My man, Franklin, can sure smoke a turkey. grin
Originally Posted by SS336
Last years wild turkey. Doing the same this year. 😋

Looks great, SS. smile
Rather have mtn dew and cheetos myself

but family and all…

Crunchy or Puffs?
Posted By: EdM Re: I Hate Thanksgiving Turkey - 11/22/22
We just threw our turkey in the oven, split family Thanksgiving.
Posted By: mathman Re: I Hate Thanksgiving Turkey - 11/22/22

Far out man

I like your style

If the gravy is really good I'll drink it out of a coffee cup. grin
Posted By: Teal Re: I Hate Thanksgiving Turkey - 11/22/22
Originally Posted by mathman

Far out man

I like your style

Originally Posted by mathman

Far out man

I like your style

Pissing myself laughing here, Andrew !

Got 1 of them in my boat - it doesn't get used for gravy !
I have t-day and x-mas dinner at my ex wife's house with her and our daughter. Food is allways good and we all get along on those days. Sorry some folks don't have that. I know I am thank full for it...mb
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
I have t-day and x-mas dinner at my ex wife's house with her and our daughter. Food is allways good and we all get along on those days. Sorry some folks don't have that. I know I am thank full for it...mb

Yep, THIS ^^^
I really don't understand (most) people.

We love family/friend/holiday meals, & all strive to make great food & interesting conversation !

© 24hourcampfire