Home
I finally got around to sending that 686 back in to Smith and Wesson.

Question is.....if I ask them to do a trigger job....will they do that if I offer pay for it??
Looks like it.

S&W Trigger Job
That would be great!
Smith & Wesson Performance Center Gunsmithing

Short answer - yes they will.
Looks like I want the Master Action package.

That would be cool....I really want to love this revolver.
Posted By: EdM Re: Smith and Wesson Trigger Job - 11/24/22
https://www.smith-wesson.com/customer-service/performance-center-precision-gunsmithing
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Let me know if you go through with it. I’ll be interested on the improvement.
I've got a couple pf 686s ... great pistols. I kinda like mine the way they are but maybe mine are just that broken-in, I dunno. I've put a lot of rounds through both of them.
I got to call them before they send it back!

They said they figured to have it a month. Pretty darn good turnaround.
Originally Posted by MarkWV

Let me know if you go through with it. I’ll be interested on the improvement.

Sure thing.
That said Ben Forkin, assuming he is still taking work, is sort of near.

205 10th Ave SW, White Sulphur Springs, MT 59645
Originally Posted by scrooster
I've got a couple pf 686s ... great pistols. I kinda like mine the way they are but maybe mine are just that broken-in, I dunno. I've put a lot of rounds through both of them.

I have a 5 inch 629 that I have to pack a screw driver set around with me to shoot it.

Everything on it is loose. Maybe I should lock tite it?
Originally Posted by EdM

Thats real close.

Was not aware of him.

Honestly....aside from my gunsmith friend in town... I dont know of any personally.

I have a 5 inch 629 that I have to pack a screw driver set around with me to shoot it.

Crazy glue. For realz
Smith's prices seem reasonable too.

Thats good. I save all my Christmas money. Been paying the kids rodeo entry fees with it.

Used to make my spending money playing music.

With the year we have had...it looks like I will be buying the kids Christmas presents with my Christmas money.

....which is a long way to say....I might just be able to afford an action job!
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

Crazy glue. For realz

Thanks. Never thought about that.
Originally Posted by EdM

Thats real close.

Was not aware of him.

Honestly....aside from my gunsmith friend in town... I dont know of any personally.

He is well known for building high quality Ruger Blackhawks no different than Hamilton Bowen (Bowen Custom Arms) in terms of quality. A recommendation...

http://bowenclassicarms.com/links.html#Forkin%20Custom%20Arms
That would be good Ed.

My favorite thing is a flat top 44 special.

Got some guns that I am not happy with. A marlin 45 and a Ruger 45.

Plus some Miroku rifles.

Would be nice to have some place to take them.
I’d be interested in how it turns out as well. I have a model 69 that has a decent trigger that doesn’t stack but I wouldn’t mind it a little lighter in the trigger pull and overall just smoothed out.
Posted By: 79S Re: Smith and Wesson Trigger Job - 11/24/22
That would be good Ed.

My favorite thing is a flat top 44 special.

Got some guns that I am not happy with. A marlin 45 and a Ruger 45.

Plus some Miroku rifles.

Would be nice to have some place to take them.

You can sell them an buy gold. Nugget
I will never sell that 44.

I wasn't going to anyway....but I fully intend to give everything away.

This makes me happy. Nugget
I think you’ll be ok.
I have the 586 and enjoy shooting it, bought it when they first came out.
Be careful what you ask for, You might get it... I sent my 8" Python back to Colt in the early 90's requesting them to smooth & lighten the trigger... I figured i'd get a slightly lightened lawyer trigger at best, So i explained in the note that it would only be used for target shooting and never for self defense or hunting... When i got it back the trigger was as smooth as silk and the pull was as light as a feather (too light IMO)... Although the gun is a joy to shoot and very accurate, I never keep it loaded on my nightstand anymore, As i don't feel comfortable with the hammer cocked and a trigger that light...
Originally Posted by 7mm_Loco
As i don't feel comfortable with the hammer cocked and a trigger that light...

Huh??? Why would you keep the hammer cocked?
Originally Posted by 79S

I didn't keep the hammer cocked, But when i have had to pull a revolver on someone, I instinctively cock the hammer and i wouldn't want to shoot someone by mistake!...
Originally Posted by 79S

I didn't keep the hammer cocked, But when i have had to pull a revolver on someone, I instinctively cock the hammer and i wouldn't want to shoot someone by mistake!...

You need some handgun training.

BADLY.
I have a 28 I bought used and if you shoot it single action the trigger is dangerously light. Just touch and it fires. I need to have it fixed.
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
I have a 28 I bought used and if you shoot it single action the trigger is dangerously light. Just touch and it fires. I need to have it fixed.

I have shot others' guns that had triggers so light they would go off just by touching them. Don't care for that at all.

If I ever inadvertently bought a gun that was like that and hadn't handled it before I bought it, I would certainly change it.
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by Hogwild7

I have shot others' that had triggers so light they would go off just by touching them. Don't care for that at all.

If I ever inadvertently bought a gun that was like that and hadn't handled it before I bought it, I would certainly change it.

The mainspring tension screw at the bottom front of the grip frame on a S&W is usually the cause. Make sure it's tightened. May have to get a replacement, as some people file the end off the screw so it has their desired tension but still tighten down into the grip frame threads.
Posted By: Osky Re: Smith and Wesson Trigger Job - 11/24/22
Jim I have a mountain gun 4” 44 mag that I’ve put thru the ringer and it’s been fantastic. I’m surprised to hear this of yours. Good luck with it.

Osky
Trigger rebound spring problem. They are sold with different weights. But old gunsmiths usually just cut one ring off.
If that happens you get what you get. Sometimes single action is to light. Hasbeen
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
Trigger rebound spring problem. They are sold with different weights. But old gunsmiths usually just cut one ring off.
If that happens you get what you get. Sometimes single action is to light. Hasbeen

That too.

I'd usually cut them off a bit at a time until I got it where I wanted it.

Stoning the machine marks where that rebound assembly runs smooth against the frame is probably more helpful in getting a smooth action.

Lots are happy with a lighter action, but don't pay attention to "smooth". You ought to be able to feel the bolt lock into the cylinder in a slow double action pull. smile
I will NEVER send anything to S&W again, the last time I did my custom 624 was stolen on its way back to me and I had to fight S&W for partial compensation.

If you want your revolver tuned, I highly recommend Ahlman's in Morristown, MN. Ahlman's pistolsmiths are at least as good as those anywhere else that I've tried, plus their prices are great and their turn around time fast. I have Ahlman's do what they call an action job to smooth and tune the action and trigger and ream the forcing cone on all of my shooter, not collector, revolvers. I recommend Ahlman's to anyone who will listen and have yet to hear from a dissatisfied customer. The last time that I looked, the action job fee was $95 and the forcing cone ream job was $40, money well spent IMO.
Originally Posted by 79S

if your pulling on soomeone then you might as well shoot them
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I will NEVER send anything to S&W again, the last time I did my custom 624 was stolen on its way back to me and I had to fight S&W for partial compensation.

If you want your revolver tuned, I highly recommend Ahlman's in Morristown, MN. Ahlman's pistolsmiths are at least as good as those anywhere else that I've tried, plus their prices are great and their turn around time fast. I have Ahlman's do what they call an action job to smooth and tune the action and trigger and ream the forcing cone on all of my shooter, not collector, revolvers. I recommend Ahlman's to anyone who will listen and have yet to hear from a dissatisfied customer. The last time that I looked, the action job fee was $95 and the forcing cone ream job was $40, money well spent IMO.

Who was responsible for the gun getting stolen? S&W, or the shipping company. Insured?
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945

That too.

I'd usually cut them off a bit at a time until I got it where I wanted it.

Stoning the machine marks where that rebound assembly runs smooth against the frame is probably more helpful in getting a smooth action.

Lots are happy with a lighter action, but don't pay attention to "smooth". You ought to be able to feel the bolt lock into the cylinder in a slow double action pull. smile

I had my friend Bubba show me what to smooth and what to leave alone. If you own many revolvers, you at least need to know how to clean and oil them.
I’ve got a couple that are only reliable with federal primers. Hasbeen

You haven’t given them all away yet? I do, almost as fast as I get them, since I don’t own a canoe……..🤔
S&W wheel gun?
Easiest trigger job ever!
I use Arkansas stones. Just slick up the bearing surfaces and lube slightly. Trigger pull will be slick as glass.
I NEVER trim the hammer return spring and always tighten the hammer strain screw fully.
Mess with either spring and you can throw ALL the timing off and may cause misfires.
Originally Posted by Pappy348

You haven’t given them all away yet? I do, almost as fast as I get them, since I don’t own a canoe……..🤔

Hahaha!

Yeah, no kidding.

I have something wrong with me that makes it so I have absolutely no regard for money.

The kids will get everything.
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer
S&W wheel gun?
Easiest trigger job ever!
I use Arkansas stones. Just slick up the bearing surfaces and lube slightly. Trigger pull will be slick as glass.
I NEVER trim the hammer return spring and always tighten the hammer strain screw fully.
Mess with either spring and you can throw ALL the timing off and may cause misfires.

Agreed, if you don't know what you are doing, and what part does what inside the revolver.

My competition action jobs on S&W's were a bit more complex than that. They were fine tuned. Even double action, you knew exactly when the hammer would fall. Almost like shooting single action.
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

Who was responsible for the gun getting stolen? S&W, or the shipping company. Insured?

At that time S&W didn't insure firearms that they were returning to an owner who had sent them in for service work unless the owner specifically requested insurance and agreed to pay for it. Otherwise, S&W would replace the lost/stolen firearm out of current production AT THEIR DISCRETION. I had sent the 624 to S&W to be engraved and had specifically requested and paid for insurance during the return shipping phase. Whoever packed the 624 for return shipping didn't buy the insurance for it, so when it was stolen out of UPS, this was before UPS required handguns to be shipped via next day delivery, I didn't have my revolver and S&W didn't want to compensate me for the loss. They finally agreed that they had failed to buy the insurance that I'd paid for, and they agree to send me a 629 Classic, as the 624 had been out of production for some years, but they didn't want to either refund me for the engraving that was done on the 624 or repeat that engraving on the 629. It took several months of back-and-forth dialog before they finally agree to duplicate the engraving on the 629 that had been done and paid for on the 624. Instead of just accepting responsibility for their error, S&W fought me over the fair compensation. Sometimes you only get one strike before you're out. It was a truely miserable experience and not one that I'd want to repeat or see someone else experience.
Probably would have been cheaper on them to just get the insurance.
Originally Posted by 79S

You need some handgun training.

BADLY.
Good advice, For some maybe... But i think i'm untrainable... When my adrenaline is up i experience brain freeze and all that training goes out the window and i'm back to instincts... That's the reason i prefer a heavy trigger on defense revolvers or DAO revolvers... And the same reason i don't "F" around with semi autos...
Originally Posted by steveredd1
Originally Posted by 79S

if your pulling on soomeone then you might as well shoot them
Brilliant Advice...
Posted By: Huntz Re: Smith and Wesson Trigger Job - 11/24/22
Screw S&W.Buy and install one of these spring kits.Check out You Tube how to de burr and polish the sear.Just remember on the sear you are polishing,not removing metal.Take pics as you take revolver apart.Takes about 2 hours if you are a klutz and stick a couple hundred back in to the mattress.
https://www.brownells.com/handgun-p...on-kit-178-sku965178000-26193-36899.aspx
Posted By: Huntz Re: Smith and Wesson Trigger Job - 11/24/22
Plus you can not ship it your self.Could cost about a C note to get an FFL to ship it for you.
Originally Posted by Huntz
Screw S&W.Buy and install one of these spring kits.Check out You Tube how to de burr and polish the sear.Just remember on the sear you are polishing,not removing metal.Take pics as you take revolver apart.Takes about 2 hours if you are a klutz and stick a couple hundred back in to the mattress.
https://www.brownells.com/handgun-p...on-kit-178-sku965178000-26193-36899.aspx
Even if you do nothing else, just get a spring kit. Not that hard to do. Makes a big difference. Can always polish up the rebound slide another time. Been doing them for almost 40 years.
Probably would have been cheaper on them to just get the insurance.

Since I paid for the insurance, a fact clearly shown of the itemized invoice that I received from them, it wouldn't have cost them anything to insure the package.

I was told that they didn't insure firearms that were being returned from being serviced because so few were lost or stolen during shipping and any decision regarding compensation was at their discretion unless the customer specifically asked and paid for the insurance.
© 24hourcampfire