Home
Posted By: Oldman03 New pistol - 11/24/22
I need some ideas/advice on a holster. I just purchased a Glock 19. I'm looking for a OWB holster for open carry. I'm thinking of a leather holster to fit on my belt. Should I get a holster to fit on my belt or will a clip on holster do as well. Getting in and out of a vehicle, will a clip on holster stay put. I'll also want to carry an extra magazine.

Any advice and/or ideas appreciated.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: New pistol - 11/24/22
I dont like clip ons.
Posted By: crittrgittr Re: New pistol - 11/24/22
I like my tier one for my 19x mine is iwb but they make them for owb also.
Posted By: Ohio7x57 Re: New pistol - 11/24/22
Galco Fletch works pretty good. El Paso Saddlery Tortilla flat also a nice holster. A good belt is also helpful when carrying a bigger pistol. I started wearing a KORE Essentials belt for EDC and dress clothes. Makes a difference for sure.

Ron
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: New pistol - 11/24/22
Originally Posted by Ohio7x57
Galco Fletch works pretty good. El Paso Saddlery Tortilla flat also a nice holster. A good belt is also helpful when carrying a bigger pistol. I started wearing a KORE Essentials belt for EDC and dress clothes. Makes a difference for sure.

Ron

Yep. I’ve got two Galco Fletch holsters. One for my Glock 19 and Glock 32, and one for full sized 1911’s. They have worked great for me for years.

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/9...c9af933f51&utm_term=4584894776053433

Also I have a El Paso Saddlery floral carved holster I really like for my commander sized 1911’s.
I’ll have to look up the model #.

It’s this one:

https://epsaddlery.com/product/crosshair/
Posted By: ingwe Re: New pistol - 11/24/22
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I dont like clip ons.

Same here...try a DeSantis belt slide...comfortable and well priced.
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: New pistol - 11/24/22
https://www.privateerleather.com
Posted By: fester Re: New pistol - 11/24/22
Look at the clip draw.
Posted By: 45_100 Re: New pistol - 11/24/22
Randy, for WIW this was my experience when I decided to carry all the time. I went tnrough a lot of different, quality holsters and spent a good deal of money. The holsters mentioned above are all good quality. I decided on a pancake style holster because it rides close to my body and minimizes printing. I tried strong side carry, crossdraw and shoulder holsters. The holster I like best is from Azula and is available on eBay. They were less than $50 then, might be slightly more due to the Biden buck syndrome. I think the final choice is a matter of personal preference but all suggestions are helpful. You will need a substaintial belt.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: New pistol - 11/24/22
I’ve got a pancake style for my p365 fro my Braid’s Leather.

Similar to this..

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]gametester co

Works well when on SxS, tractor... yard work... etc.
Posted By: MarkinGA Re: New pistol - 11/24/22
I know you asked about leather, but if you are open to considering Kydex, I make them and could do something for you. The OWB design I do sits close in to your body and conceals well. I’m attaching a couple pics as an example. It carries well for long periods of time.

Full sweat guard. Can cut for an optic if you have an MOS model. The one in this pic is also cut to allow for a longer or threaded barrel if you have/want that feature.

Mark in GA

Attached picture B6B76AB4-957B-4BF7-87CF-A888F0DE707C.jpeg
Attached picture FAE90429-7A6B-4ACD-A0CA-8BB73EFDDA4A.jpeg
Posted By: rainshot Re: New pistol - 11/24/22
Is it owb or iwb?
45-100
Here is another example in a solid color. Coyote Brown in this example.

Mark in GA

Attached picture F79DA894-D33A-4AF5-8D91-43A150FE73CA.jpeg
Attached picture 161AEE7B-E4F7-44A2-AD33-1D17DD4FFA13.jpeg
Posted By: lvmiker Re: New pistol - 11/24/22
If you do plan on open carry level 2 retention is advised. The Safariland ALS is strong, fast and comfortable.

mike r
Posted By: ShortMagFan Re: New pistol - 11/24/22
Check out the Simply Rugged Cuda. If you like it I’ve got one + a matching mag pouch for a G19 I’d part with
Posted By: Huntz Re: New pistol - 11/24/22
Cross Breed.The ones I have can be configured for IWB or OWB.Very comfortable and retain the pistol very well.
Posted By: hardway Re: New pistol - 11/24/22
Triple K makes a good plane Jane leather owb holster with thumb break. I have a couple for woods carry or around the ranch.....also have had a desantis that is nice...... anywhere else I go iwb and kydex..... muddyriver tactical or fist make good kydex.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: New pistol - 11/24/22
Oldman03: Anything but leather!
Gave up on that type holster many years ago.
One of my Glocks, that I often carry concealed, has an Uncle Mikes fabric holster with a built on extra magazine carrier at the vertical front of the holster.
Easily concealable, reliable and no wear and tear on the pistol.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: deflave Re: New pistol - 11/24/22
I’d love to give you some advice but you already decided I don’t know anything.

LOL
Posted By: Talus_in_Arizona Re: New pistol - 11/24/22
How are you doing buddy?! Miss ya.

Jeff
Posted By: mark shubert Re: New pistol - 11/24/22
Originally Posted by 45_100
Randy, for WIW this was my experience when I decided to carry all the time. I went tnrough a lot of different, quality holsters and spent a good deal of money. The holsters mentioned above are all good quality. I decided on a pancake style holster because it rides close to my body and minimizes printing. I tried strong side carry, crossdraw and shoulder holsters. The holster I like best is from Azula and is available on eBay. They were less than $50 then, might be slightly more due to the Biden buck syndrome. I think the final choice is a matter of personal preference but all suggestions are helpful. You will need a substaintial belt.
Which did you decide on?
Originally Posted by MarkinGA
Here is another example in a solid color. Coyote Brown in this example.

Mark in GA

Good looking holsters ! What do they run ?
Originally Posted by ingwe
I dont like clip ons.

Same here...try a DeSantis belt slide...comfortable and well priced.

I’ve got a couple of those. Hard to beat for the money. The one I bought for my Sig P365 works well.
Typically they vary a little bit based on size/model and features. For a G19 size, full sweat guard, allow for threaded barrel, optics cut, etc (full featured) it would run $55 for a pattern or $50 for solid colors. I make them from 0.080” thick/sturdy Kydex and use all stainless hardware (blacked out). Normally I try and cover shipping (CONUS) in those prices. If someone were to want several made up I could possibly do slightly better on price.

Mark in GA
Originally Posted by MarkinGA
Typically they vary a little bit based on size/model and features. For a G19 size, full sweat guard, allow for threaded barrel, optics cut, etc (full featured) it would run $55 for a pattern or $50 for solid colors. I make them from 0.080” thick/sturdy Kydex and use all stainless hardware (blacked out). Normally I try and cover shipping (CONUS) in those prices. If someone were to want several made up I could possibly do slightly better on price.

Mark in GA

That’s great. Thanks !
Posted By: deflave Re: New pistol - 11/24/22
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
How are you doing buddy?! Miss ya.

Jeff

Pretty well.

Thanks for asking.
Posted By: Jim270 Re: New pistol - 11/25/22
I have a El Paso Saddlery holster for owb and a Galco for iwb. I have tried Crossbreed owb and Bravo concealment iwb, and probably acouple more that I have forgotten. The Galco is the most comfortable iwb that I have tried, but pricy, they have gone up quite a bit since I bought mine.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: scrooster Re: New pistol - 11/25/22
I rarely make suggestions about holsters because they are personal man purses for our most important EDC tools but .... I've worn a bunch of different ones over the years for 1911s, 686s, Glocks, P226s, P320s and now my P365 X Macro.

This Black Point Tactical leather wing/kydex combo OWB holster I've been using with this P365 is a work of art imho. Totally adjustable, super comfortable, positive retention, easy on and off. Looks great too and I really like the moisture guard on the backside, keeps moisture off the forearm and your shirt out of the way on the draw.

Read the reviews, watch the videos about it ... I took my time shopping and trying various holsters before I finally pulled the string on this BPT on the advice of a SpecOps buddy of mine and he was right.
Posted By: 45_100 Re: New pistol - 11/26/22
Originally Posted by rainshot
Is it owb or iwb?
45-100

OWB
Posted By: 45_100 Re: New pistol - 11/26/22
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Originally Posted by 45_100
Which did you decide on?

I decided on the Azula pancake holster. Just something about leather saddles, reins, breast collars, belts and holsters. Rawhide reatas not so much.
Posted By: windridge Re: New pistol - 11/26/22
I dont like clip ons.

I hate them. They're never where they started out.
Posted By: CopperSolid Re: New pistol - 11/26/22
Muddy River Tactical.
Posted By: Redneck Re: New pistol - 11/26/22
I dont like clip ons.
Nor do I...
Posted By: MtnHiker Re: New pistol - 11/26/22
Originally Posted by lvmiker
If you do plan on open carry level 2 retention is advised. The Safariland ALS is strong, fast and comfortable.

mike r

This^^^

Open carry should have retention on be threaded on to your belt.
Posted By: Mackay_Sagebrush Re: New pistol - 11/26/22
I have used Milt Sparks 55BN OWB holsters for years.

They are not a cheap/budget holster, but if you want a holster that will last for decades, and perform like it should, they are a good choice.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

© 24hourcampfire