Home
hypothetically and if its legal , do you shoot and why?
I wouldn't....grin
Posted By: skeen Re: do you shoot an albino deer? - 12/03/22
Yes, because I like white meat.
Same reason to shoot any deer….to eat it. Duh!
Shot a Piebald deer, not quite Albino.
White deer, brown deer, black deer they all taste the same. Sure I'd shoot it.
Posted By: hanco Re: do you shoot an albino deer? - 12/03/22
Never seen one!
I’m pretty sure albino moose are protected here because the indigenous call them a “spirit animal”, so I think albino deer are off limits, too.

Buncha BS AFA I’m concerned. It’s a genetic freak, but that seems to be in style these days.
So there I was spreading manure in my tulip patch with a kids sand pail and plastic shovel. and low and behold I see this white apparition material out of nowhere. So I gets my trusty 4x1565 mm tasco binoculars and realized I was looking at a freak of nature.... An albino deer, so then..........

Ok next guy put up a paragraph or 2 and pass it on. Let's see what kind of wild story we make👍🏻
OK I am game MPat70,

.....................So I back out quietly with my tractor and zipped home in my truck to get my rifle, when I got home my wife was actually happy to see me which shocked me because she had been in a horrible mood for many months!

I told her I was home to get my rifle, and she said she had Helga over for a visit and that they had been drinking lots of wine and they decided that they wanted to do a threesome, and politely asked me if I would consider being the third party?

Welllllllllll............... as much as i wanted that beautiful Albino, I Caved INSTANTLY and made love with my wife and well stacked Helga all afternoon. A decision I never will regret!

Hunted all season trying to find that Albino..........never did find him and ended up shooting another spiker.

Women always ruin great plans!

KB
Sure…mount that critter, be aa heck of a conversation piece
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Post a pic of any deer you shot,
I saw two albino fawns about 12 years ago. It wasn’t during hunting season they were down at the edge of a quarry that I was driving past and two other trucks had stopped to look. I slowed down to see what they were looking at and got to see them before they went back into the wood line. Seeing them was really cool.

I’d probably shoot one given the opportunity. I can’t imagine that white deer sticking out like a sore thumb and in heavily hunted areas survive long. Very cool to see but genetically less desirable and from my understanding there will always be a few around so you’re not really preserving something unique as a color phase by not shooting it.

I think it would make for a cool mount or hide. It would probably depend on what the other landowners were doing. The pair that I saw were about a mile from the land that my grandparents had owned. They were both passed and the land sold other than a few acres that my uncle had bought from them. He had passed a few months earlier and we were on the other side of the state to see the property before selling it. I’d have liked to have heard the locals take on it.

I could see the locals being all about taking one as an adult deer for something unique or being against shooting one because they were unique. I haven’t been back there since but really wanted to hear the locals opinions. It’s a rural part of the state where guys wear hunting jackets as dual duty winter coats and live for deer hunting and fishing. I’m sure everyone in the area knew about them and there would have been strong opinions one way or the other.
Might I suggest you check YOUR state's regulations on them? What I say about Idaho might not apply in Virginia. FWIW, they're legal here.
Not me, she might have her beautiful girls with her, besides , she’s to close to the other houses.
I don't post anything that 'Fire dikheads challenge me to post.
When I was a kid, there was an albino deer around the house that wore a bright orange dog collar. I knew everyone around, and I never did find out who raised that deer.
Yes!
I guess I wouldn't. There are stories of them being "Big Medicine" and there are plenty of other deer to shoot. There is a family story about shooting a white bear. Momma Windberg told the guy not to shoot it and he did anyway. He dies unexpectedly 3 days later. It was before my time, I just heard the stories.
I don't post anything that 'Fire dikheads challenge me to post.
Sounds like bs right there you do it all the time.
They are genetically inferior.
Boom!!!!
Where at?
Posted By: MAC Re: do you shoot an albino deer? - 12/03/22
If legal, Yes. There is no biological difference between and albino and normal colored deer. The albinism is just a recessive gene.
Never had the opportunity, but it’s supposedly 7 years of bad luck. I ain’t taking any chances!
I’ve seen 4 honest to God albinos in my lifetime of hunting deer here in Pennsylvania.
Saw an albino doe with 2 albino fawns when I was maybe 8 or 9. The Old Man took us riding around on the mountain in September, and we ran across them.
It was in the paper that someone killed one of them in archery season. From the picture, it looked like some fellow had snagged one of the younguns.
After I got outta the service, I’m guessing ‘91 or ‘92, there was an albino spike in the State Game Lands in Lincoln township. That’s the foot of the mountain below where we saw the others years ago.
Carol and I rode up there one evening, and he was just off the road. I shut the truck off, and we watched him for 15 minutes or so. Solid white, with pink eyes, hooves and the spikes. Unfortunately, we didn’t have a camera.
This was in August, and IIRC, somebody found him dead up there in Buck Season in December.
I’ve saw few piebalds, probably 5 or 6. One had the white from her belly 3/4s of the way up her sides. That was in the October ML season. I’m guessing around ‘10 or ‘11. Don’t know what became of them.
I’m pretty superstitious about hunting. The Old Man told me when I was just starting out “ deer hunting is 90% luck, and 5% being in the right place at the right time “. That means that Scouting and preparation comes to 5%.
In 48 + years of hunting, I really can’t say that I’ve seen anything that’s proven that theory wrong! Like Richard Petty said, “ I’d rather be lucky than good”!
Penny swerves she saw a Melanistic deer behind the house a couple years ago. Totally black, no white at all. IIRC, that’s even more rare than an albino. I didn’t get to see it, and never heard of anybody killing it, so who knows?
7mm
If it was a nice buck hell yeah. If I was meat hunting does I’d prob let it walk on by, lots of other brown deer to pop. The white ones are surely pretty. Never seen one personally.
I doubt I would shoot him. Especially if I could get a picture of him.

I passed on a piebald, 6 point buck years ago. I had my 44 Mag Ruger with me but I wasn't sure I could make a clean shot of it. About 10 years later my nephew got this picture of a fawn on the property, so I'm thinking that his genes are still around.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: skeen Re: do you shoot an albino deer? - 12/03/22
Originally Posted by Mathsr

I passed on a piebald, 6 point buck years ago. I had my 44 Mag Ruger with me but I wasn't sure I could make a clean shot of it. About 10 years later my nephew got this picture of a fawn on the property, so I'm thinking that his genes are still around.

Very neat pic.

Very cool!

Damned if you do, damned if you don’t. There is a “appaloosa” running around the forest near the cabin, she’s a beauty, haven’t seen her last year but we seen a yearling this year that looked just like her. That fawn your nephew got the photo of is beautiful. What a cutie. Probably should be culled from the heard.
Anything white is guilty these days and must be dealt with accordingly. Unless it's a Democrat then they skate too.

Bb
Posted By: las Re: do you shoot an albino deer? - 12/03/22
If legal, yes. I don't put much stock in other peoples superstitions, just my own. smile

We had one or two white (not albino I think) moosein the local area a few years ago. Several decades back I saw a young bull moose with a white leg up the Little Chena Rver out of Fairbanks.

The day after season....
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
Anything white is guilty these days and must be dealt with accordingly. Unless it's a Democrat then they skate too.

Bb
I like your style. Would you let it walk? Me, I personally would, I stopped hunting/killing a few years back, but that doesn’t mean I don’t know what’s good for the herd.
" do you shoot an albino deer?" . . . .

Oh heavens no ! ! !
The only way I'd even remotely consider
shooting a white colored deer is if I were
absolutely positively sure that it had 2
hindquarters, 2 back straps, 2 shoulders,
and a neck roast. Then and only then
would I consider pulling the trigger.
Otherwise HARD pass
Yes ,because I can
Pretty sure we've had this discussion before.

I've never saved a deer hide but I'd make something from a white one.
Probably not. I might, but never just because it's an albino.
Originally Posted by MarkWV

Damned if you do, damned if you don’t. There is a “appaloosa” running around the forest near the cabin, she’s a beauty, haven’t seen her last year but we seen a yearling this year that looked just like her. That fawn your nephew got the photo of is beautiful. What a cutie. Probably should be culled from the heard.

It was...a year and a half later it was killed by a car about a mile and a half from where the picture was taken.
Shot more than a few albino mt. goat back in the day & a bunch of melanated bear

would certainly shoot an albino deer, moose & hell.. even an albino dall sheep

edible meat .. duh !
Now that I’m older and have hunted my entire life I ONLY shoot albino animals. Deer, elk, moose, bear, caribou, musk ox, antelope, etc have to be albinos or at least piebald before I’ll shoot anything anymore. It makes Africa a real challenge especially lion but the more you hunt albinos you begin to think like albinos and that’s when the success happens. 😉

Once you figure out albino behavior it’s possible to see herds of albinos of all species of albinos coexisting peacefully, sometimes they’re guarded by a unicorn but they’re getting more rare.

I think maser and LarryRoot started a guide service for albino and piebald trophy hunts. They also offer albino short tailed weasel (ermine) hunting in the winter with excellent success.
If memory serves, Jim Kjelgaard touched on this subject in one of his books. And no, one is not to shoot an albino unless you wish to die. I believe the buck that was in his book immediately killed the man who shot it.
We have a pod of albino / piebald / skewbald deer in the NE corner of our county around the State Park (hunting off limits). Totally albino, I would probably pass, just because. Piebald or skewbald and I am looking for meat, it would be going home with me...
Posted By: 700LH Re: do you shoot an albino deer? - 12/03/22
No, I have only seen two and enjoyed watching them.
We had an albino doe that frequented out farm for several years. Sold the farm in 2019 and she was still around then. Had dozens of opportunities to shoot her but really didn't want to and I am an avid deer hunter. Was fun to watch her.
If I did, I'd keep it quiet. Even people who legally shoot piebald or albino deer ate crucified in the court of public opinion. All the Karens and Fudds will come out of the woodwork to curse you and wish you ill.
Back in the late 70's there was a albino doe on the farm....my brothers and I could never get a good chance during bow and shotgun season....back then there was not many deer on the farm and anterless gun season was only 4 days if you got a permit....
I'd shoot a albino deer in a heartbeat. I'm just waiting for the deer cooler to get over the Thanksgiving rush. Then a halfazz piebald doe is fixing on getting killed and donated to the Hunters for the Hungry.
Posted By: Sako Re: do you shoot an albino deer? - 12/03/22
If it was legal... Yes... they are genetic defects and should be culled from the herd.
There are 2 albino does near me ,iv seen one of them and 3 piebalds around, I'd shoot a piebald, have seen 3 over the years. One black fawn too!
Posted By: skeen Re: do you shoot an albino deer? - 12/10/22
Had a buddy shoot a 10 point piebald buck in Maine years ago. Nice rack, body was a bit stunted. Everyone around the camp came for a look.

I will never forget the warden thanking him for killing the buck before the rut started. Didn’t want that deer breeding.
First one I ever saw turned out to be a Fallow. Maybe 45 years ago
Late 80's - early 90's my buddy had a big piebald doe on his acreage. Probably 80 percent white with some big patches of brown/black. He thought it was interesting and decided not to shoot it if he had the opportunity. Wanted to see what developed if it stayed around, so when I hunted his land I had to promise not to shoot it. So at first light one winter morning I was trying to fill a doe tag and had that big doe standing still, broadside to me 20 yards away as I sat at the base of a tree with the gun leveled in its direction. There were a couple other does with it but they had drifted off further away out of sight behind too many trees and brush. Oh well; that big doe wound up getting hit & killed by a car on a road bordering the property. A guy who worked for the town highway dept. knew of that piebald and told my buddy about its demise. We never saw another one like that around that area.
Protected in Tennessee for purely sympathetic/emotional tittie baby reasons

I would presume someone’s rich family/friend on the Tenn Game Commission came up with the flawed reasoning to save the rare genetic fault.

Albino turkeys tho…or any turkeys with white wing feathers, game warden used to tell us shoot the fouck out of em.
Probably not. Getting to take a deer at all isn’t a big priority at this point in life. Having one mounted either body or shoulder is even less. I’d enjoy the experience, try getting pictures or video and let it go on with it’s day. Another hunter around the hill might take it later and that’s fine to. They’ll consider it a trophy.
Posted By: ribka Re: do you shoot an albino deer? - 12/10/22
Originally Posted by slumlord
Post a pic of any deer you shot,

bang!!!
never seen one but a few years ago I shot a grown doe with 2 rows of spots on each side of her back with my Mjzzleloader. Had a Picture of another later but never saw her.
Posted By: barm Re: do you shoot an albino deer? - 12/10/22
I shot a piebald several years ago. If I had it to do over I would pass on it now.
© 24hourcampfire