Home
I'm looking at a used 2018 F-150. What experience do you have with that truck and engine?
Dave
2018 4wd, supercab w 77k on it, not 1 single issue to date.
16to19mpg in town, 19 to 24 on interstate.
11to15 mpg when towing my trailer.
I do my own oil change every 7to8k miles.
Originally Posted by DaveinWV
I'm looking at a used 2018 F-150. What experience do you have with that truck and engine?
Dave

Got the high output in that year model.

No issues. Strong pickup.
I had a 2015 F150 until it got totaled in an argument with a dump truck. Replaced it with a 2019 in January 2020. I haven't had any problems with the replacement and the original was trouble free. Mileage runs from 18.6 to 21.5 in town depending on driving conditions like traffic. Damn thing gets better gas mileage than my 1998 Explorer. (12 to 13 MPG)
PJ
Dave
Which ecoboost? The 3.5 has serious issues with cam phasers in that year. It’s about a $3500 repair. If they have the parts to fix it. You may have to wait months for parts. Many trucks need the repair multiple times. My 2017 did.

The 2.7 However is the most reliable of the engines for ford in that year.
Had a 2019 for a work truck

Fast, fuel efficient, very capable. I wouldn’t hesitate owning one.

The only problem I had was an ignition coil went out once. Replaced under warranty.
Dave
My son has one and has had zero issues to date.. Loves it.
2017 with 100k

We had a cam phaser repair that was quoted at $2,500 but after all was said and done Ford kicked down and it was $800.

Sounded like it was gonna throw a rod for a few seconds on a cold start. Dealership told us to run it as it wasn’t hurting anything but I couldn’t hang.
I have a 2019 T 150 Supercrew 4x4 with the Ecoboost, no problems so far. 28,700 miles on it.
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Dave
Which ecoboost? The 3.5 has serious issues with cam phasers in that year. It’s about a $3500 repair. If they have the parts to fix it. You may have to wait months for parts. Many trucks need the repair multiple times. My 2017 did.

A cheaper route would be to delete the cam phasers. Here's an outfit that will sell you a delete kit. Since I don't believe this is emissions related, it should be legal to delete the cam phasers.

Click Here

Also, I believe Ford changed the cam phasers in trucks from 2019 on, making them more robust.
2020 with 50K. Been solid so far. Pulls a trailer better than my previous 1/2 ton V8's.
Have the older gen 1, a 2012. You have the newer two-chain (timing) setup. And port-injection (cleaning, basically) on top of DI. All desirable changes. Still, be fastidious with oil changes, as between being DI and twin turbo it’s tough on oil longevity. That said, absolute stud of an engine, and at altitude puts others to shame; love it.
New Raptor is gonna have a 3.5 in it, so Ford must like it.
I have 13’. Been an amazing truck. 245k. Timing chains are done though. Not worth fixing I’m afraid. Just waiting on her to go now. Every single thing still works. A/C is on original charge still. Has been a farm truck it’s whole life. Would recommend.
I have a 2018 4 door 2.7 EcoBoost that I bought as a leftover in 2019. 127K miles and the only issue was the wiper motor chit the bed under warranty. I get 18.5 MPH and I don't drive slow, the 2.7 has a lot of balls when you need it.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Dave

Got the high output in that year model.

No issues. Strong pickup.

Same here. One of the best trucks I’ve owned.
i had a 2018 F150 with the 3.5 for exactly 28 days, 24 of those were at the dealership trying to find a gremlin in the computers, the 28th day i went to pick it up and it crapped out same issue while signing the paperwork idling in the service bay

it would somehow go into limp mode on a hard acceleration, on the downshift. would have to pull over, turn it off for a few minutes and it might go 8-10 miles and do it again. worst day i had it happened 14 times in 75 miles pulling my boat. also would loose oil pressure per the gauges, but i dont think it really was cause it never tapped rattled or anything

Ford told me it was a glitch between the ECU and the computer that shut it off at stoplights or whenever it idles for long periods??

i have no idea what parts they threw at it, and didnt care. Ford made it right, took it back with 100% money back
Mine was a big POS. 2018 xlt 3.5 ecoboost 4wd

Over 20g in warranty repairs before 60,000 miles all told and ford acted like everything was somehow my fault.

It was almost comical if it wasn’t so painful to go through at the time

Both turbos and intercooler replaced before 35000
Camphaser issue took 4 visits to dealer to fix
Bed had to come off twice due to water leaks in the cab requiring carpet and backing to have to be replaced twice and part of the wiring harness was affected by this as well.
Front end went totally all to hell when vacuum solenoid shiiit out and put truck in 4wd low at 55mph or so.

Driveshaft had to be replaced as well

So I’m not a fan and won’t buy ford again
Thanks for the replies. I may have a line on a low milage 2019 with the V8. I normally only put 6k miles a year on my truck. I have a 2005 Siverado crew cab with the 5.3 V8.
I have a 2015 and the only thing i have had go bad was the throttle body.

My truck has the tow package and i tow some tractors with no problem.
[Linked Image]
I bought new a 2016 F150 ss 365 hp 3.5 twin ecoboost.and I have put 28k miles on it.

I have only driven on hunting trips.
It is too hard to park in the greater Seattle area.
Seems to work just fine.
Originally Posted by Clarkm
[Linked Image]
I bought new a 2016 F150 ss 365 hp 3.5 twin ecoboost.and I have put 28k miles on it.

I have only driven on hunting trips.
It is too hard to park in the greater Seattle area.
Seems to work just fine.
That is a Gen 1 ecoboost. I personally think the gen 1 ecoboost was better
I have a 2016 with 97,000. I ruined the CAT and Ford replaced under emissions austen warrantee. Found a coolant leak at one turbo ( that i had been smelling) otherwise trouble free. Oil changes are important. I try not the exceed 5K even running synthetic. The 3.5 is a torqy engine, moreso than the 5.0. In a drag race its about ever with the coyote motor but i pulled Wolf creek pass at 110. Can't do that in the 5.0.
I read where a few mechanics said to stick with a non turbo 5.0

Has anyone has issues with the 5.0 V-8?
Originally Posted by kevinJ

Over 20g in warranty repairs before 60,000 miles all told and ford acted like everything was somehow my fault.

Bed had to come off twice due to water leaks in the cab requiring carpet and backing to have to be replaced twice and part of the wiring harness was affected by this as well.
Front end went totally all to hell when vacuum solenoid shiiit out and put truck in 4wd low at 55mph or so.

I'd also be hacked if I were you in that instance.

My 2020 4wd 3.5EB has 39k on it so far and no issues. Very comfortable and strong-running truck. My cousin recently went from a 2014 5.0L to a 2021 3.5EB and his description fits well "The Ecoboost never seems to get in a bind for power when you need it". I agree. I like the torque that's always available. Long highway trips have run as high as 24mg and I often have months where I average around 21mpg (factory tires, level kit, winch).
The old 5L V8 here.
Originally Posted by JD45
I read where a few mechanics said to stick with a non turbo 5.0

Has anyone has issues with the 5.0 V-8?

And more than a few mechanics. The excessive blow-by and regenerative exhaust circulating within the engine fouls valves in as little as 10,000 miles. Then the problem with the cylinder head seal design leaves a lot to be desired. The 3rd gen design helped to reduce these problems, however, it do not eliminate them.

Learn about PVC catch cans and what you find in them - especially on turbo engines. I've been using them for six+ years and have them on every engine.
Bought mine new in 2014. F150 crew cab 4WD. It has 92,500 miles on it. Only thing I had to do was change out 1 coil pack. Other than that no issues.

Ron
If you search on the internet for "3.5 ecoboost problems", one finds many problems reported with the older units, not as many after 2016-2107.

That being said, many people, just like this thread, reported no probelms with their ecoboost engines after many miles.

Makes me wonder about Ford's quality control on this engine for a few years.
Originally Posted by Higginez
2017 with 100k

We had a cam phaser repair that was quoted at $2,500 but after all was said and done Ford kicked down and it was $800.

Sounded like it was gonna throw a rod for a few seconds on a cold start. Dealership told us to run it as it wasn’t hurting anything but I couldn’t hang.

Yeah I just inherited Dad's 2019 3.5 and it is such a nicer vehicle than I would have deemed to buy for myself. I got 22mpg coming from New Mexico downhill.
I have that same Cam phaser issue and I am trying to resolve through an oil additive. I added half quart and it helped for about a week.

Saw a video on how to prime the oil system prior to starting but have not gotten it tow work for me.

My only complaint is I cannot turn off autolock. Major annoyance.
I have the baby one. It's a 2.7l TT Ecoboost. I tried not to like the motor at first. But at 145,453.8 miles, I've not had a major problem. I have had some issue with a fuel sensor that wouldn't allow my to start my truck until I tried 3 times after gas fills. That was a $75 repair.

Also replaced the rear pinion seal this past June. That has nothing to do with the engine though. I pull a 5100# boat all over MN, WI, and the Dakotas from April until October and don't have trouble with it. It actually pulls nice.
I have had two of them, one was a 2014 and the other was a 2017. Both were King Ranch models.

The 2014 was excellent in every way. Never the slightest problem.

The 2017 was exactly the opposite. Turbo problems, one that started when I was about 50 miles from home on the way to New Mexico for an elk hunt. The valve train was replaced not once but twice. Numerous electronic problems and weird stuff such as the GPS showing me 10 and 20 miles from my actual location. Once I was going east to west on a major highway. My GPS was showing me going north to south in the local river.

If I had bought another Ford when I traded earlier this year, I would have bought the 5.0 gas motor.
Originally Posted by tzone
I have the baby one. It's a 2.7l TT Ecoboost. I tried not to like the motor at first. But at 145,453.8 miles, I've not had a major problem. I have had some issue with a fuel sensor that wouldn't allow my to start my truck until I tried 3 times after gas fills. That was a $75 repair.

Also replaced the rear pinion seal this past June. That has nothing to do with the engine though. I pull a 5100# boat all over MN, WI, and the Dakotas from April until October and don't have trouble with it. It actually pulls nice.
I bought a used F-150 with the 2.7 ecoboost today. It sure seems to have power for a small engine.
the 2.7 is a very peppy little motor. its more responsive than the 3.5. when you floor it the 2.7 just peters out sooner. for most people, especially if you don't tow the 2.7 is all anyone really needs. plus they aren't prone to cam phasers issues of the 3.5 or oil burning like the 5.0.
2012 3.5L with almost 180k and by far the best truck I’ve ever owned. Drive train has been outstanding.
2018 2.7L with 80k had an exhaust pressure sensor code. Otherwise flawless.

I’d buy another ecoboost without question. Hard pass on the 5.0L for me.
Do you remember the first time you went to a strip club? It’s kinda like that driving a 3.5 EB the first time.
the 2.7 is a very peppy little motor. its more responsive than the 3.5. when you floor it the 2.7 just peters out sooner. for most people, especially if you don't tow the 2.7 is all anyone really needs. plus they aren't prone to cam phasers issues of the 3.5 or oil burning like the 5.0.
No sir. Pick the 3.5 every time .
Originally Posted by walt501
Dave

A cheaper route would be to delete the cam phasers. Here's an outfit that will sell you a delete kit. Since I don't believe this is emissions related, it should be legal to delete the cam phasers.

Click Here

Also, I believe Ford changed the cam phasers in trucks from 2019 on, making them more robust.

Don't know that I would trust that website....

A few quotes from the "article"

Finally, be prepared for some potential issues down the road, as deleting the cam phaser can cause additional stress on other parts of the engine. Overall, deleting the cam phaser from your 3.5 Ecoboost engine can be a daunting task but it’s one that could ultimately save your engine from further damage.

Locking out your cam phasers is a great way to prevent unauthorized access to your camera.
I have a 2011 F150 FX4 with the 3.5L Ecoboost with a 6sp transmission. 3.73 rear end, max tow package.

About 175,000KM.

No issues with the engine or transmission. Lovely drivetrain.
They should be named “Eco-or-boost”. I owned a 2019 F150 4wd Lariat. Empty - fast, decent mpg (18mpg mixed). Towing - plenty of power (for a half ton) but mpg dropped big time (10mpg towing a 5x9 utility trailer with a small side by side). I dove hunted with a friend who guides duck hunters a couple of months back and he was in a new Superduty - asked why he got a new truck, and he said he was tired of 7-8mpg with his F150 3.5L (pulling his tandem axle utility trailer with a Polaris 6 seater). I had no significant issues with mine in 2yrs and 35k miles, but I did get a recall notice on the cam phasers (but when I took it in a few months later they had stopped that repair, said it wasn’t fixing the issue). Traded my F150 in last year for an Explorer ST for the wife (3.0 Ecoboost, all wheel drive - fast and fun but disappointed with mpg, no better than the F150 on cruise on the hwy) and bought a GMC. For reference, my 2021 GMC AT4 6.2L gets maybe 0.5mpg less empty, but 1.5mpg better towing same trailer, same routes, etc.

My brother bought a 2.7l F150 several years back. They love it (don’t tow or haul anything besides groceries, luggage, 3 small kids, etc) and it gets awesome mileage for a pickup with some pep, but it did get a new motor under warranty at about 50k miles (don’t remember the reason).
71,000 miles on my '18 with the 3.5.

Everything has been great so far. Would buy another.
51K on my 2018 Super Crew Lariat Eco with Twin Turbo. I really liked it until this fall. The sunroof rails broke on both sides due to not lubing the sunroof gasket - I never heard of that. Seems it's a common occurrence.

Now I am starting to get this rattle on cold start. I believe it's the damned cam phasers. I cannot believe that they have not issued a recall for this problem. I will NOT piss away $3-4000 on this problem. I'll send it down the road.

Then on the way up to deer camp, my dash lights up likes it's Christmas. Warnings for schitt I didn't know I had. Hill park assist? Seems my right front bearing is going out as is the speed wheel sensor and that affects all of these other warnings. I'm told when that's fixed, the warning lights will deactivate. Appt is scheduled at the dealer for 12/22. If they can fix all of this and take care of the cam phasers, then I maybe I'll buy another. If not, then no way. A $70K vehicle just shouldn't have these issues with only 50K on the clock.
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot
51K on my 2018 Super Crew Lariat Eco with Twin Turbo. I really liked it until this fall. The sunroof rails broke on both sides due to not lubing the sunroof gasket - I never heard of that. Seems it's a common occurrence.

Now I am starting to get this rattle on cold start. I believe it's the damned cam phasers. I cannot believe that they have not issued a recall for this problem. I will NOT piss away $3-4000 on this problem. I'll send it down the road.

Then on the way up to deer camp, my dash lights up likes it's Christmas. Warnings for schitt I didn't know I had. Hill park assist? Seems my right front bearing is going out as is the speed wheel sensor and that affects all of these other warnings. I'm told when that's fixed, the warning lights will deactivate. Appt is scheduled at the dealer for 12/22. If they can fix all of this and take care of the cam phasers, then I maybe I'll buy another. If not, then no way. A $70K vehicle just shouldn't have these issues with only 50K on the clock.

You paid 70K for a 2018?
Originally Posted by TXRam
They should be named “Eco-or-boost”. I owned a 2019 F150 4wd Lariat. Empty - fast, decent mpg (18mpg mixed). Towing - plenty of power (for a half ton) but mpg dropped big time (10mpg towing a 5x9 utility trailer with a small side by side). I dove hunted with a friend who guides duck hunters a couple of months back and he was in a new Superduty - asked why he got a new truck, and he said he was tired of 7-8mpg with his F150 3.5L (pulling his tandem axle utility trailer with a Polaris 6 seater). I had no significant issues with mine in 2yrs and 35k miles, but I did get a recall notice on the cam phasers (but when I took it in a few months later they had stopped that repair, said it wasn’t fixing the issue). Traded my F150 in last year for an Explorer ST for the wife (3.0 Ecoboost, all wheel drive - fast and fun but disappointed with mpg, no better than the F150 on cruise on the hwy) and bought a GMC. For reference, my 2021 GMC AT4 6.2L gets maybe 0.5mpg less empty, but 1.5mpg better towing same trailer, same routes, etc.

My brother bought a 2.7l F150 several years back. They love it (don’t tow or haul anything besides groceries, luggage, 3 small kids, etc) and it gets awesome mileage for a pickup with some pep, but it did get a new motor under warranty at about 50k miles (don’t remember the reason).

If you pull a trailer for part of your income, not sure why you'd own a 1/2 ton in this Era of cafe standards.
Originally Posted by TimberRunner

You paid 70K for a 2018?

Sticker in 2018 was $69,900. Lots of extra schitt I didn't need (like power running boards - there's a special place in hell for that engineer). And no, I have never paid sticker in my life. Nor will I ever.
I had a 2015 and now a 19, 250k trouble free miles between both. Awesome engine.
Originally Posted by TimberRunner

You paid 70K for a 2018?

Sticker in 2018 was $69,900. Lots of extra schitt I didn't need (like power running boards - there's a special place in hell for that engineer). And no, I have never paid sticker in my life. Nor will I ever.

OK, well, your post suggests otherwise.
This is my 2014 FX4 3.5 Ecoboost. 3.73 rear end. Nicest truck I’ve ever owned. It gets about 19-20 on the highway, and 16-17
In town. Plenty good for a truck with this much power. I don’t pull anything heavy enough to warrant a diesel truck.

Ron
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Mine got really good gas mileage in the low 20's. I didn;'t drive it 90 miles per hour either but maybe a max of 75-80.
Hard to imagine a 2.7L in a full size pickup, but then again its hard for me to imagine a 200HP 4 cylinder. I'm still in 1998
I hate spark plugs in a truck...
Originally Posted by KFWA
Hard to imagine a 2.7L in a full size pickup, but then again its hard for me to imagine a 200HP 4 cylinder. I'm still in 1998

I know what you mean. I always wanted the displacement, until I tried a few modern turbo engines. 1996 was the last year of the traditional Ford pushrod engines, and here are the power ratings.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Always thought the 351 engines we had in Broncos and F150s were plenty stout, but they only made 330lb/ft of torque and 210hp. If I'm not mistaken, the 2.7L EcoBoost makes 400lb/ft of torque at roughly the same RPM. The 3.5L version makes 500lb/ft. The 5.0L/302 engines from back then were even worse, plus everything was running through 4spd autos for 12-16mpg. And even though the newer trucks are larger overall, the alloy bodies make them weigh about the same. Stuffing 400hp/500tq in a 1996 F150 would have required a warmed-over big-block or a built-small block and it would have been considered a barn-burner. It's normal now.

Had that happen to my 2016 Ford"master tech" at dealership and Ford engineers could not figure out what to do with it. It was a lemon.
Originally Posted by JPro

I know what you mean. I always wanted the displacement, until I tried a few modern turbo engines. 1996 was the last year of the traditional Ford pushrod engines, and here are the power ratings.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Always thought the 351 engines we had in Broncos and F150s were plenty stout, but they only made 330lb/ft of torque and 210hp. If I'm not mistaken, the 2.7L EcoBoost makes 400lb/ft of torque at roughly the same RPM. The 3.5L version makes 500lb/ft. The 5.0L/302 engines from back then were even worse, plus everything was running through 4spd autos for 12-16mpg. And even though the newer trucks are larger overall, the alloy bodies make them weigh about the same. Stuffing 400hp/500tq in a 1996 F150 would have required a warmed-over big-block or a built-small block and it would have been considered a barn-burner. It's normal now.

I had a '95 F-150 w/302 and 5-spd manual. I bought it w/100K Mi and sold it just under 200K Mi. I liked that pickup, but, even w/the 5-spd it was pretty gutless, especially compared with the 4.6/5.4 that replaced it or ANYTHING from any manufacturer now.

I just got my little Ford Maverick with a 250 HP 2L. It scoots when you put your foot in it.

It has more power than my 7.3 diesel did when she was new………

Smart man.
Originally Posted by Dutch

I just got my little Ford Maverick with a 250 HP 2L. It scoots when you put your foot in it.

It may have quicker acceleration.

Torque is generally where "power" is measured.

I want to see a pic with 1,000 lbs. in the bed.
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

Lol, I owe you that one. Did feed with it last Friday, 23 bags was fine on the farm. Not sure I’d be terribly comfortable at 80 on the freeway, but I must admit she squatted less than I expected. Handled the weight about like my Tacoma used to, but I put 8 ply tires on the Taco just to make me feel better about the weight.
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

Lol, I owe you that one. Did feed with it last Friday, 23 bags was fine on the farm. Not sure I’d be terribly comfortable at 80 on the freeway, but I must admit she squatted less than I expected. Handled the weight about like my Tacoma used to, but I put 8 ply tires on the Taco just to make me feel better about the weight.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
© 24hourcampfire