Home
Nice gesture, but I'll bet he would've rather had the $310k....

$310 K ? shocked
I wonder how far $310K would have gone in Africa?
He was never gonna get $310K. That was a promotional tax deduction.
There is no such thing as a $310K "deer hunt"

there must have been some A LOT of hookers and blow involved
While its a nice gesture donating the hunt there aint a game animal on the face of the earth that I would consider paying anything remotely close to $300k plus to hunt!!!
The deer would have to dance in a grass skirt before I shot it ..for them kinda bucks !
Very cool.

If you don’t have many many many multiples of $310k you really aren’t qualified to say whether or not you’d spend that on a deer hunt.
The license bought and then donated was for one of the very best mule deer areas in our country. It was purchased at the SLC Hunt Expo, Utah hunting expo.
There’s gotta be a parallel somewhere about the fall of the Roman Empire and paying $310,000 for a DEER HUNT.

It’s most definitely a wonderful gesture and I raise my hat to the gentleman that donated it to the Veteran but I don’t see any deer being worth that kind of money….but I also don’t post pictures and lies about deer I didn’t shoot so maybe I don’t place enough value on deer. 😳
I spose it would be cool if the veteran were somehow connected to the fallen commandoes from the Antelope Island Pave Hawk crash in October of 1992!
Originally Posted by marktheshark
While its a nice gesture donating the hunt there aint a game animal on the face of the earth that I would consider paying anything remotely close to $300k plus to hunt!!!
Obama?
It all depends on how deep your pot of gold might be.

https://www.huntinfool.com/resources/statewide-permits
Originally Posted by Ralphie
Very cool.

If you don’t have many many many multiples of $310k you really aren’t qualified to say whether or not you’d spend that on a deer hunt.

Exactly.
Originally Posted by JeffA

If you pay that kind of money for a hunt, you deserve to be scammed.
Those tags are auctioned off for charity.

Someone with the coin to buy one then give it a way is a blessing, not a scam.

No doubt that concept is lost on most broke dick dip sch_its.
It's the same thing as this.

I'd take the 310K in cash and use 10K of it to go hunting several times.
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
There’s gotta be a parallel somewhere about the fall of the Roman Empire and paying $310,000 for a DEER HUNT.

It’s most definitely a wonderful gesture and I raise my hat to the gentleman that donated it to the Veteran but I don’t see any deer being worth that kind of money….but I also don’t post pictures and lies about deer I didn’t shoot so maybe I don’t place enough value on deer. 😳

you have totally missed the concept of paying that kind of money for a hunt....bob

it is unreal how some are so envious that they cant grasp that this is a good thing....bob
Originally Posted by atvalaska
The deer would have to dance in a grass skirt before I shot it ..for them kinda bucks !

You would actually shoot this buck?
Only if I can take my therapy pet kangaroo along.....
So does the veteran have to pay the IRS for this windfall he received. All the paper lines up. Documented cost, transfer of wealth, recipient accepted and benefited. ???????
Wow at that rate, calculating the number of Mule Deer I have shot to date I would have paid $9,300.000.00!
What a bunch of idiots on here.
Originally Posted by BobMt

it is unreal how some are so envious that they cant grasp that this is a good thing....bob

+1.

Me and eDm don’t care how folks spend their money….

Some ppl like to share their blessings.

If you got that kinda money, be no different than me buying a $20 raffle ticket to the local VFD.
Originally Posted by Tyrone

You have an knack for always taking the dumbschiet view on things.

Congradulations?

The money generated from aution tags goes back into wildlife programs that help all hunters.

That's why hunters with resources spend so much on those auction tags.

Most also stoke their own ego by taking an animal on the tag but it's pretty cool of that guy to give the hunt to the Vet.

Originally Posted by shootem
So does the veteran have to pay the IRS for this windfall he received. All the paper lines up. Documented cost, transfer of wealth, recipient accepted and benefited. ???????

Charitable contribution.

Your interest in making sure the tax laws are followed by a disabled vet is duly noted.
Originally Posted by reivertom

He could have paid $5,000 for 60 wounded veterans to have nice guided hunts.
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

Congradulations?
🤣😂🤣😂
Look who's jaw flappin'!

He got a deer. He has to give the IRS a hindquarter.
BTW, you got the Nazis running any of your gear yet?

You fuggin piece of MIC trash.
Originally Posted by jaguartx

Then that money would have gone to the outfitters.

He wanted to make a charitable contribution to help wildlife because it's his money.

The guy does a couple of good things and the whiner crew at 24hr CF bitches and whines about how he does the good things.

Why don't you buy just one vet a $5000 hunt if that is what you think is right?

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
In 2016 the Antelope Island mule deer permit sold for world record $410K bid.

[Video:youtube]
[/video]
If it were a true good gesture nobody would know about it.
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
If it were a true good gesture nobody would know about it.

Why?

He bought the tag at a very public auction and the hunts on AI get a lot of publicity.

We don't know what if anything else the guy does for charity but this example is one that would be hard to hide and draws good publicity for the auction hunts and veteran issues.

It sets a precedent for future auction hunts.
I'm glad for the veteran, I hope he enjoyed that hunt!!

About the declared value of the hunt: even an auctioned tag (Texas Bighorn Society) for a desert bighorn sheep in west Texas goes from $100k - $150k over the past couple of decades (auction/raffle). I don't know what the few, lucky ranchers who get a tag sell theirs for, probably about the same price.
Very cool gesture.
I for one certainly applaud the premise of this whole deal, though I am cautious as to what or who the donated funds went to. I tend to distrust some of the big vendors at the SLC Hunt Expo. Sportsman for Fish and Wildlife, in particular. I have zero clue if they were involved in this situation or not.

Antelope Island is well known for its huge deer and I’d love a crack at one. Good on the lucky hunter.
Charitable contribution.

Your interest in making sure the tax laws are followed by a disabled vet is duly noted.

Take a running leap a$$hole. The IRS has a way with rules that isn’t always moral. The charitable contribution was the dollars paid for the hunt. The hunt was then given to the vet. Good for him. The question I put out is real.
Charitable contribution.

Take a running leap [bleep]. The IRS has a way with rules that isn’t always moral. The charitable contribution was the dollars paid for the hunt. The hunt was the given to the vet. Good for him. The question I put out is real.

Your "concern" over tax laws is duly noted.

Maybe you can turn your grandma in over not filing a 1099 on that sofa she sold on EBay?
Charitable contribution.

Take a running leap [bleep]. The IRS has a way with rules that isn’t always moral. The charitable contribution was the dollars paid for the hunt. The hunt was the given to the vet. Good for him. The question I put out is real.

Maybe you can turn your grandma in over not filing a 1099 on that sofa she sold on EBay?

And I always wondered why so many posters treated you like a turd. My bad.

I agree. I’d take the money over the hunt all day long. The dude gifting the hunt didn’t have to do it at all. Good on him for gifting it.

My tolerance for bullschiet is pretty low.

Now you know.

Congradulations?

No
Ain't never been to Antelope Island.......

But have been to the Henry's in Utah...probably the #2 trophy buck deer unit in Utah

Same with free range Bison......You have to be a young hunter to draw either tag...

Prob takes 18-20+ years unless you're real lucky...

Last mountain range in the lower 48 to be surveyed & mapped

thats super. He didn't
Originally Posted by tikkanut

So when you gonna go?

We're bankin' on ya giving us a photo/drone view tour.

You're the CFs eyes in Utah.
Originally Posted by tikkanut

But have been to the Henry's in Utah...probably the #2 trophy buck deer unit in Utah

Same with free range Bison......You have to be a young hunter to draw either tag...

Prob takes 18-20+ years unless you're real lucky...

Last mountain range in the lower 48 to be surveyed & mapped
In one of Idaho's best trophy hunts, the drawing odds are 1%. Since there's no point system, a kid or an old fart like me have the same odds of drawing.
[quote=marktheshark]While its a nice gesture donating the hunt there aint a game animal on the face of the earth that I would consider paying anything remotely close to $300k plus to hunt!!![/quote

whats crazier.....spending 300k for a deer hunt.....or the ability to grasp what this is all about....bob
I don't think some of these guys have ever even left cookies for Santa.
What a fun thread!

A wealthy guy made a generous charitable donation and gave the spoils of it to someone he deemed worthy. Still, folks want to knock him for what he chooses to do with his money. Unbelievable.
Originally Posted by gregintenn
What a fun thread!

A wealthy guy made a generous charitable donation and gave the spoils of it to someone he deemed worthy. Still, folks want to knock him for what he chooses to do with his money. Unbelievable.

It’s called envy.

My tolerance for bullschiet is pretty low.

Now you know.

Congradulations?

You overvalue yourself. Low grade people tend to do that. But I yield the floor. You’re not worth any more of my time.

Congradulations?

The money generated from aution tags goes back into wildlife programs that help all hunters.

Most also stoke their own ego by taking an animal on the tag but it's pretty cool of that guy to give the hunt to the Vet.

Charitable contribution.

When I was this thread start, I was gonna try to explain the whole thing to the board morons, but I knew it would be lost on them

Habitat improvement from special tags like this (Governor’s tags as well) is why Utah grows big bulls and bucks
I dont have a dog in this fight but will opine that there isn't a deer on earth worth $300k.
Originally Posted by MAC
I dont have a dog in this fight but will opine that there isn't a deer on earth worth $300k.

…and another that doesn’t get it
Originally Posted by MAC

No, but the maintaining habitat that allows these deer to thrive is.

Then that money would have gone to the outfitters.

He wanted to make a charitable contribution to help wildlife because it's his money.

The guy does a couple of good things and the whiner crew at 24hr CF bitches and whines about how he does the good things.

Why don't you buy just one vet a $5000 hunt if that is what you think is right?

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Dumbass, the Donor said he wanted to do something nice for a warrior.

If he just wanted to help wildlife he could have just made a charitable contribution to the states wildlife management team and that way the buck could have drawn more money being hunted by the next highest bidder.

Sheesh. It's elementary Sherlock.
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Originally Posted by MAC

I dont like to get in the pissing matches...but comments like his really show how ignorant a lot of "hunters" on this board are.....bob
The donor, Mike Schultz, is rumored to have made some backroom land swaps involving the Henefer Echo Wildlife Management Unit owned by the state and his adjacent Sawmill Ranch that benefited his ranch and screwed Utah hunters.
Dumbass, the Donor said he wanted to do something nice for a warrior.

If he just wanted to help wildlife he could have just made a charitable contribution to the states wildlife management team …

Looks like he accomplished both goals to me
Damn this place is full of stupid mf'ers. Dude does a charity for a veteran and gets knocked for how he spends his money and somehow the eye r ess gets brought up, wtf?
I would take the hunt if offered to me.Cash is meaningless.
Originally Posted by Pat85
Originally Posted by gregintenn
What a fun thread!

It’s called envy.
I guess that gene skipped me. I’m glad as it isn’t a very good look.
Originally Posted by MAC

Wrong Moron. I understand the $$$ goes to conservation and habitat. Just saying no deer is worth that much. The guy could make a $300,000 donation every year and not even try for the deer. I am all about supporting conservation and habitat but no deer on its own is worth $300k.
Originally Posted by MAC
Originally Posted by MAC

Wrong Moron. I understand the $$$ goes to conservation and habitat. Just saying no deer is worth that much. The guy could make a $300,000 donation every year and not even try for the deer. I am all about supporting conservation and habitat but no deer on its own is worth $300k.

Exactly! But the holier than thou forum phaggs like Burnsie, Camuglia, BobMT etc INSIST that we dont "understand" what its about! If as the buyer said he was trying to do something for a vet, that amount of scratch could have paid for alot more than one guy to go on a hunt!
Originally Posted by MAC
I am all about supporting conservation and habitat but no deer on its own is worth $300k.

There are at least two people who would disagree, the guy who won the bid and the guy who ran him up to that amount.
Originally Posted by GeorgeLa
The donor, Mike Schultz, is rumored to have made some backroom land swaps involving the Henefer Echo Wildlife Management Unit owned by the state and his adjacent Sawmill Ranch that benefited his ranch and screwed Utah hunters.

IF that is the case, I highly suspect SFW is involved somehow, as that seems like the kind of thing they’d be a part of.
I don’t trust them, at all. They put on a good show, helping wildlife and hunting as a sport in general, but they’re a snake in the grass.
There's a good many people in this region
that spend 10's of thousands of dollars
to go shoot at a whitetail deer
I wouldn't myself, but I'm not them and
they ain't me
Originally Posted by T_Inman

IF that is the case, I highly suspect SFW is involved somehow, as that seems like the kind of thing they’d be a part of.
I don’t trust them, at all. They put on a good show, helping wildlife and hunting as a sport in general, but they’re a snake in the grass.
IIRC, Our state, TN, got caught trying to make some kind of a honey deal land swap with a big private investor. Chicken schit bastards.
[quote=marktheshark]While its a nice gesture donating the hunt there aint a game animal on the face of the earth that I would consider paying anything remotely close to $300k plus to hunt!!![/quote

whats crazier.....spending 300k for a deer hunt.....or the ability to grasp what this is all about....bob
^^^^^^^^^
knuckleheads
Originally Posted by MAC
Originally Posted by MAC

Somethings worth is determined by what someone will pay for it.So yes that particular deer is worth 300k and probably more to the guy who shot it.
Originally Posted by MAC
Originally Posted by MAC

Exactly! But the holier than thou forum phaggs like Burnsie, Camuglia, BobMT etc INSIST that we dont "understand" what its about! If as the buyer said he was trying to do something for a vet, that amount of scratch could have paid for alot more than one guy to go on a hunt!
So what have you done for a Vet lately?
Originally Posted by MAC
Originally Posted by MAC

fetterman ...fettie as you like to be called .....its not all about the vet...its about the habitat and the vet is just a lucky participant....bob
Originally Posted by Ralphie
Very cool.

I'm with Ralphie on this , those that can, should, those that can't shouldn't be envious...
That being said, I am and have always have been an otc public land hunter... but certainly don't resent those that aren't
I might be off base but the issue with judging that kind of money being spent on something like that is that most folks don’t comprehend having that much expendable money. I know I can’t.
I doubt that the guy that won the auction was even interested in the hunt. He was looking for a tax deduction. That’s what he got quick and easy.
And he chose a deserving disabled vet as the beneficiary to it. Good on him. Congrats to the vet and all that helped pull it off.
YMMV
Originally Posted by tndrbstr
I might be off base but the issue with judging that kind of money being spent on something like that is that most folks don’t comprehend having that much expendable money. I know I can’t.
I doubt that the guy that won the auction was even interested in the hunt. He was looking for a tax deduction. That’s what he got quick and easy.
And he chose a deserving disabled vet as the beneficiary to it. Good on him. Congrats to the vet and all that helped pull it off.
YMMV

^^^^ this

I need to dig for more details. But yeah, Utah DNR surely was involved. And the state legislature as well. Convenient that Mike Schultz is a fairly large land developer AND a state legislator.

Lots of questionable stuff the legislature has done in the name of wildlife. Combining public land into Consolidated Wildlife Management Units (which allows the private landowner to set his own seasons) and screwing hunters out of access to public lands is a big one.
Kind of like when I was drooling over a Holland and Holland double rifle and a coworker asked why in the world anyone would spent that kind of scratch for a gun. I said “you know what I would do if I could afford one”? “What”, he said”. I said “I’d buy a matched pair”.
Cheers to the buyer and the hunter. Everyone wins.

Congradulations?

Charitable contribution.

When I was this thread start, I was gonna try to explain the whole thing to the board morons, but I knew it would be lost on them

Habitat improvement from special tags like this (Governor’s tags as well) is why Utah grows big bulls and bucks

Congradulations?

Charitable contribution.

Issuing fewer licenses than a lot of western states and not having thousands of wolves play much bigger role than GOV tag revenue.
Absolutely. It morphed from wildlife management to revenue management long ago.

Originally Posted by ribka

Congradulations?

Charitable contribution.

Congradulations?

Charitable contribution.

Issuing fewer licenses than a lot of western states and not having thousands of wolves play much bigger role than GOV tag revenue.
Originally Posted by MAC
Originally Posted by MAC

Bingo.
You want to help A vet or help vets get a deer or do you want to help wildlife mgt.

If the latter, give money to WL management. Let some other rich guy buy that deer.that would produce about $450 for WL mgt.

You want to help A vet. $300,000 would just about cover maybe one house for one the vet warrior groups provide.

You want to make wounded veterans happy with deer hunts? Buy 60 wounded veterans deer hunts.
You want to make wounded veterans happy with deer hunts? Buy 60 wounded veterans deer hunts.

I read here he owns a ranch, how do you know he doesn't??
So now this thread has morphed into guys trying to tell others who to and how to donate their money?

Intersting!!
Originally Posted by TRnCO
So now this thread has morphed into guys trying to tell others who to and how to donate their money?

Intersting!!

They sound like democrats the way they are lecturing on how someone should spend their money.
You want to help A vet or help vets get a deer or do you want to help wildlife mgt.

If the latter, give money to WL management. Let some other rich guy buy that deer.that would produce about $450 for WL mgt.

You want to help A vet. $300,000 would just about cover maybe one house for one the vet warrior groups provide.

Or don’t worry about how another guy spends his money.
Or help others how you see fit.
© 24hourcampfire