Home
Posted By: ElAhrairah Trapping a dog - 12/08/22
Anybody have experience getting a domestic dog in a cage trap? Any wisdom to share? This is a dog that appears to have been dumped off (not uncommon around here unfortunately) that im trying to help. Hes extremely skittish. Dangerous area for dogs to be dumped off (lions, wolves etc) and its wintertime to boot. Im feeding him but he wont let me get near him. Hes been sitting in the gravel pit on the side of my road (seems to be waiting for his people, who aint coming back) for a few days at least, but runs off into the woods, tail between his legs, if approached. He seems comfortable watching me from 100 yards or so. If i get any closer, he moves to maintain the distance. Looks to be about a medium 50-60lb mutt. Im going to try to round up a cage trap that size, if i can. But the impression that i hqve is that dogs are much more wary of cage traps than cats are. And this dog is particularly skittish.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Trapping a dog - 12/08/22
Feed him and be patient.
Posted By: mirage243 Re: Trapping a dog - 12/08/22
Seriously ?
Posted By: ElAhrairah Re: Trapping a dog - 12/08/22
Yes seriously
Posted By: Timbermaster Re: Trapping a dog - 12/08/22
Get a large cage trap. Put meat in it. Stop feeding the dog. Maybe it could be that simple, who knows.
Posted By: MarkWV Re: Trapping a dog - 12/08/22
No advice, but good on you OP. Thanks for helping him.
Posted By: DollarShort Re: Trapping a dog - 12/08/22
Start putting his food a little closer to your house, and then a little closer.
Posted By: MPat70 Re: Trapping a dog - 12/08/22
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by DollarShort

The gravel pit where he is on watch is like 500 yards down the road. In the amount of time that would take, hed get eaten by something or ran over before i was feeding him at my place.

This is just an area where people from town seem to dump off dogs. In the woods, out of sight.. happens more than youd think. My current dog was dumped off in the mountains nearby. He wasnt skittish though. Charged out of the brush and landed on my feet crying.
Neighbors old dog, real sweetheart, was dumped off on the side of the road nearby in the middle of a snowstorm, with a litter of little puppies.
Posted By: AJ300MAG Re: Trapping a dog - 12/08/22
Google "dog flight/survival mode" and you’ll get an idea of what your dealing with...
Posted By: TF49 Re: Trapping a dog - 12/08/22
Originally Posted by DollarShort

Had a full grown black shepherd dumped and he chose to hang around my place…. But kinda the same thing… he’d eat and drink in my driveway but run off whenever I got anywhere’s close to him.

I told my kindhearted neighbors about himself before I left on a trip.

They did exactly what Dollar Short did….took a week or so, but got the dog finally used to coming in their storeroom to get fed. They slammed the door on him then it took only a couple of days to get him “tame.”

Been a number of years, they still have him.

Edit: saw OP comment re 500 yards. My neighbors got the black dog moved about 250 yards from my driveway to their storeroom….took a week or so.
Posted By: carbon12 Re: Trapping a dog - 12/08/22
Perhaps it is kennel trained. Leave an appropriate sized kennel with the door open at the gravel pit. If it goes in, you can try catching it by rigging the kennel as a box trap.
Posted By: sawbuck Re: Trapping a dog - 12/08/22
Just put an old blanket with your scent on it outside the trap and a dish of food inside. Sparky should be waiting there on you in the morning.
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Google "dog flight/survival mode" and you’ll get an idea of what your dealing with...

That article is talking about dogs being afraid of their own owners in such a situation. I have a real hard time imagining that.
Either way, i dont see this guy surviving a week while i slowly lure him closer to my house each day. And he seems very invested on keeping watch at the gravel pit. If i cant gain his trust the next couple days, i want to try to trap him before a lion or something grabs him. I think the clock is ticking for him. At least hes not hungry anymore. Acts like he hasnt eaten in weeks.
Originally Posted by sawbuck
Just put an old blanket with your scent on it outside the trap and a dish of food inside. Sparky should be waiting there on you in the morning.

Dont know what my scent would help. Its not my dog.
Posted By: Hastings Re: Trapping a dog - 12/08/22
Do you know of any animal control agency that might loan you a trap? Maybe your local game warden could tell you of a local wildlife rehabilitator that has a large enough trap. If a trap will hold a bear I'm guessing it will hold a dog. I have a fall door trap about 3 1/2 feet by 5 feet made from cattle panels that I catch hogs and dogs with. It has a top. If I knew how to send a picture I would.

A trapped dog can get vicious if he's scared, be careful.
Posted By: Swamplord Re: Trapping a dog - 12/08/22
Conibear
Posted By: asheepdog Re: Trapping a dog - 12/08/22
Good on you for your positive intentions. Hope you are able to get him squared away. Gotta be a sorry piece of [bleep] to dump a dog like that. Time and positive interactions will possibly help you build trust. Best of luck, sure wouldn’t want to “corner” him into a fight or flight response. Feeding him should help it get the idea you are a friendly. Sorry, rambled on and didn’t answer your question. No idea on trapping.
Posted By: tndrbstr Re: Trapping a dog - 12/08/22
Might try giving it food and water every day at the same time each day. I bet it will recognize your vehicle and get to looking for you in no time. Build a bond with it.
Good luck with it.
Posted By: sawbuck Re: Trapping a dog - 12/08/22
Originally Posted by ElAhrairah
Originally Posted by sawbuck

Dont know what my scent would help. Its not my dog.

If he ate food you handled, he knows your scent.
Posted By: deflave Re: Trapping a dog - 12/08/22
If you can get within 100yds I’d use a .223 and 40gr. BT.
Posted By: Colorado1135 Re: Trapping a dog - 12/08/22
You won't trap him, might give him the wrong impression of your intentions. Feed him and he might warm up to you over a little while. They're smarter than you think, usually
Originally Posted by Hastings
Do you know of any animal control agency that might loan you a trap? Maybe your local game warden could tell you of a local wildlife rehabilitator that has a large enough trap. If a trap will hold a bear I'm guessing it will hold a dog. I have a fall door trap about 3 1/2 feet by 5 feet made from cattle panels that I catch hogs and dogs with. It has a top. If I knew how to send a picture I would.

A trapped dog can get vicious if he's scared, be careful.

I contacted a friend whose the local county wildlife guy (wolf / cougar wrangler ) and he doesnt have a trap to spare right now. If i dont make any progress with the dog tomorrow afternoon, after i do a morning hunt, i intend to call the game department to see if they can help me with a trap.
Originally Posted by deflave

Kill yourself [bleep]
Originally Posted by Swamplord
Conibear
The above response applies to you too
Posted By: Rickshaw Re: Trapping a dog - 12/08/22

I'd rather shoot it than let it starve. Have a dart gun and some ketamine?
Posted By: Timbermaster Re: Trapping a dog - 12/08/22
Heck just call up the fbi.
Posted By: Rickshaw Re: Trapping a dog - 12/08/22
Easy catch with a foothold, but then what?

Dude, the op don't even own one.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Trapping a dog - 12/08/22
I’ve had great luck using the Haveaheart traps but unfortunately while it’s been effective it’s really only trapped my lab…several times. I set it out for a huge coyote that was trying to get a free chicken dinner out of our hens and within an hour I caught our lab Kenai.

They work great for sweet but spoiled labs that don’t have a care or concern in the world…

Good luck
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Trapping a dog - 12/08/22
Originally Posted by Rickshaw
Have a dart gun and some ketamine?

Well..duh….who doesn’t have a tranq gun and some Ketamine laying around?….😂😂

I'd rather shoot it than let it starve. Have a dart gun and some ketamine?

Its not starving. He ate like a pig today. I have plenty of food for him. And hes posted up at the confluence of 2 creeks with year round running water. Been seeing low single digit temps recently but right now lows of about 20, with only a few more inches of snow forecasted, so i dont think hell freeze. And my neighbor made a tarped shelter with blankets for him. I dont think hell go near it, but i took her down there and set it up for him anyway while he watched us from about 150 yards. Then i put some food in and around it. My biggest concern, now that i know hes not going to starve, is lions, wolves, coyotes.
Posted By: High_Noon Re: Trapping a dog - 12/08/22
Originally Posted by mirage243

I own several. And am waiting on a custom barrel for another. You can also follow my advice to deflave
Originally Posted by High_Noon

Okay thats pretty damn funny
Posted By: AJ300MAG Re: Trapping a dog - 12/08/22
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG

That article is talking about dogs being afraid of their own owners in such a situation. I have a real hard time imagining that.
Either way, i dont see this guy surviving a week while i slowly lure him closer to my house each day. And he seems very invested on keeping watch at the gravel pit. If i cant gain his trust the next couple days, i want to try to trap him before a lion or something grabs him. I think the clock is ticking for him. At least hes not hungry anymore. Acts like he hasnt eaten in weeks.
Right now there's a local woman who's pug puppy escaped out of her house on Thanksgiving day. She saw the dog in a field by a school the next day, she called the dog's name and it took off running away from her and kept going out of sight. A few days later it was seen in a park by a hospital, got pushed out of that area and appeared at the site of a torn down foundry about two miles from the park a couple of days later. Again she saw the dog on a hill top, called the dog's name and she ran away and out of sight. The area is surrounded by a high fence, theres pools of water in that area that are contaminated with foundry chemicals. People flooded the area trying to find the dog, someone thought they found a garage where they thought the dog was holding up. Do gooders started leaving hamburgers laying around to feed the dog, the owner was working with a professional dog trapper trying to catch her dog. It appears the dog vacated the area to get away from the people trying to find her. She hasn't been seen for three days now.

Kill yourself [bleep]

And btw, in case you were wondering, the bleeped out word rhymes with maggot

I own several. And am waiting on a custom barrel for another. You can also follow my advice to deflave

Hey fuqkstick, you can eat the dog by shooting him first, it ain't necessary to trap him. I guess you just don't wanna waste any meat.
Cokksucker will be asking questions about trapping sheep and goats in his next thread.
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Trapping a dog - 12/08/22
When I was an ACO in the 1990s, there were occasions when there were dogs we could not catch.

We had a large cage trap. Some dogs only took a day or two to trap, others took weeks and others were never trapped.

You want a very palatable food, usually canned. Have a dish of water and a blanket is not a bad idea.

If the dog is really skittish, you may want to propp the door
open for a couple of days so the dog adjusts to the trap as any noise or movement may spook them. Once the dog is comfortable eating in the trap, set the trap so the door will close.

Good luck, not every dog can be trapped.

Hey fuqkstick, you can eat the dog by shooting him first, it ain't necessary to trap him. I guess you just don't wanna waste any meat.

Being a soulless [bleep] i guess you just cant imagine somebody wanting to help a critter that drew a [bleep] up hand in life
Originally Posted by AB2506
When I was an ACO in the 1990s, there were occasions when there were dogs we could not catch.

We had a large cage trap. Some dogs only took a day or two to trap, others took weeks and others were never trapped.

You want a very palatable food, usually canned. Have a dish of water and a blanket is not a bad idea.

If the dog is really skittish, you may want to propp the door
open for a couple of days so the dog adjusts to the trap as any noise or movement may spook them. Once the dog is comfortable eating in the trap, set the trap so the door will close.

Good luck, not every dog can be trapped.

Ive been thinking my next move is some canned bear meat rather than dog food. Especially if i have to resort to a trap.
Wtf does ElAhrairah mean anyway?
Posted By: Hastings Re: Trapping a dog - 12/08/22
Amazon has a box trap 26.4" X17.32" opening 58" long but the trigger is halfway in. Might need to redo the trigger or the door could fall on top of the dog and he would just back out and never go in again. A trap needs to work first time. A foot hold trap and a catch pole would work and you could lead him the 500 yards back home to a secure jail.
Wtf does ElAhrairah mean anyway?

Pretty sure you have internet. But if youre too lazy to look it up, there was a book called watership down. It was a book about rabbits. Elahrairah was the kind of trickster rabbit godlike figure that always outsmarted the "elil" (predators).

I do a lot of predator calling. I liked the idea of that name.

Dont like it? I think your names gay too.
Conibear

You asked for a dog trap ..... this is the most effective one that I know of , works lightning fast and you only leave food out the one time, unless you intend to keep trapping in the area

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: Trapping a dog - 12/08/22
Well that problem is solved
Conibear

You asked for a dog trap ..... this is the most effective one that I know of , works lightning fast and you only leave food out the one time, unless you intend to keep trapping in the area

Never met anybody that takes pride in being a heartless [bleep]. Bet you have lots of friends. You sick [bleep].
Posted By: las Re: Trapping a dog - 12/08/22
Good luck - make sure you get it the first time.

I had a couple (brother and sister) Lab mixes at one time. We live next to a state park, which at that time had an A-hole ranger (since fired). Anyway, my dogs would go the 500 yards or so down to the river to swim on hot days.

Ranger A-hole decided to trap them. Cost me $60 to get them back from the pound.

Once. They never went in Ranger A-hole's trap again.
Posted By: toltecgriz Re: Trapping a dog - 12/08/22
If I were truly serious about this capture, I would camp out down there for as long as it took. I would have a modest campfire, set out copious amounts of food around the camp, some of it closer than others. If you know what direction he comes from, make a trail of food to the camp. Singing a few campfire songs around the fire couldn't hurt.

Or find a bitch in heat and camp with her in a kennel. Or use a jar of her piss appropriately.

I'm not kidding.
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
If I were truly serious about this capture, I would camp out down there for as long as it took. I would have a modest campfire, set out copious amounts of food around the camp, some of it closer than others. If you know what direction he comes from, make a trail of food to the camp. Singing a few campfire songs around the fire couldn't hurt.

Or find a bitch in heat and camp with her in a kennel. Or use a jar of her piss appropriately.

I'm not kidding.

Not sure where id find a bitch in heat, let alone a jar of her piss. And i may have been referring to this dog as he, but just by default i guess. Could be a bitch, dont know. But really, i think if i cant get this figured out in a couple days, that might be a good idea. Bring a tent etc down, firewood, all that, bring food, wait him out. Hes sticking tight to the gravel pit along the road. Sure he got dumped right there, waiting for his family to come back. Maybe if i just camped out there all night with a fire and food, hed giveup his scaredy cat routine. Wouldnt be my first night camping in the winter. Would just feel a little strange doing it right down the road from my own house.
Posted By: Colorado1135 Re: Trapping a dog - 12/08/22
If you want to tame him, then visit several times a day. Give him a name and call him by that and leave a little food each time you do, just a little though.
He'll figure it out
Posted By: toltecgriz Re: Trapping a dog - 12/08/22
Some folks board their bitch when she's in heat. Check vets, boarding facilities and breeders.
Posted By: JGray Re: Trapping a dog - 12/08/22
Anybody have experience getting a domestic dog in a cage trap? Any wisdom to share? This is a dog that appears to have been dumped off (not uncommon around here unfortunately) that im trying to help. Hes extremely skittish. Dangerous area for dogs to be dumped off (lions, wolves etc) and its wintertime to boot. Im feeding him but he wont let me get near him. Hes been sitting in the gravel pit on the side of my road (seems to be waiting for his people, who aint coming back) for a few days at least, but runs off into the woods, tail between his legs, if approached. He seems comfortable watching me from 100 yards or so. If i get any closer, he moves to maintain the distance. Looks to be about a medium 50-60lb mutt. Im going to try to round up a cage trap that size, if i can. But the impression that i hqve is that dogs are much more wary of cage traps than cats are. And this dog is particularly skittish.

I've had a similar experience with a dog where a live cage trap worked well for us. With all the other posts on this thread (some constructive and others not so much), I'm hesitant to go into details here but would be more than happy to discuss with you outside this thread.
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Trapping a dog - 12/08/22
Originally Posted by las
Good luck - make sure you get it the first time.

Las is right. Usually you have one shot trapping a dog. If for any reason your efforts fail, the odds of the dog going in the trap again are infinitesimal.

We had the trap set to catch a setter. Setters have a long body. This dog was starving, but was super scared and untrusting of people. I happened to be checking the trap from a distance and saw the dog in the trap , stretching over the pan to reach the food. But it couldn’t reach the food, so eventually it stepped on the front of the pan. The movement of the pan and the noise of the falling door spooked it. With that long body and stretching to reach over the pan, its butt was right beside the door. When it spooked, it jumped backwards before the door was fully down. It was fast enough that its butt gave the falling door a good rap such that it bounced up, even though the lock rings were half way down. The dog was able to escape. I never got it to enter the trap again.

I don’t recall the resolution as I believe I was rotated to another part of the City as we were every 6-12 months. Also that was 96-97 or their abouts. That’s nearly 25 years ago, I can’t remember everything.
Originally Posted by toltecgriz

I'm not kidding.

Not sure where id find a bitch in heat, let alone a jar of her piss. And i may have been referring to this dog as he, but just by default i guess. Could be a bitch, dont know. But really, i think if i cant get this figured out in a couple days, that might be a good idea. Bring a tent etc down, firewood, all that, bring food, wait him out. Hes sticking tight to the gravel pit along the road. Sure he got dumped right there, waiting for his family to come back. Maybe if i just camped out there all night with a fire and food, hed giveup his scaredy cat routine. Wouldnt be my first night camping in the winter. Would just feel a little strange doing it right down the road from my own house.

Your mom , duh !
Posted By: kamo_gari Re: Trapping a dog - 12/08/22
It was a book about rabbits. Elahrairah was the kind of trickster rabbit godlike figure that always outsmarted the "elil" (predators).

I do a lot of predator calling. I liked the idea of that name.

"All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.”

El Ahrairah, I wish you cunning, speed and luck to bring forth the frightened one in the wild and to bring him forth and share teachings of love and life and joy with him.

I read Adams' WD when I was about 8, and it has stayed with me all the these decades later. I still occasionally dream of Hazel, BigWig, Clover, Blackberry and Bluebell. If you end up catching your friend, I'm good for some food and medical care donations. All in exchange for a picture or two. I am serious. Good luck and do persevere. I bet it might be very much worth your efforts.

Thanks.
Posted By: joken2 Re: Trapping a dog - 12/08/22
May sound silly but you might try getting the dog to trust you by playing with it, like maybe with just a plain old tennis ball. Never know if you don't try... so far nothing else has worked. Can't make it any worse than it already is.
Conibear

LMAO

Kill yourself [bleep]

Take it easy, LT Dunbar.

Maybe ask Stands with Fist for a hand job.

What a loser.
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Trapping a dog - 12/08/22
We had a stray dog near our house, I wanted him for a pet and I went down to catch him. I would give him dog food but he wouldn't get within six feet of me. I sent my girlfriend down there and she caught him easily. The little guy was scared of men but friendly with women.

You might try sending your wife to catch this dog.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Trapping a dog - 12/08/22
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

That's like a Burn's GIF...
Posted By: ElAhrairah Re: Trapping a dog - 12/18/22
2 weeks in, i think he was just too worn down to be afraid anymore. Lured him into the big pen with some bear meat and chicken. Then getting him into a transportable crate was a cakewalk. Once captured the pup is a real sweetheart. He was just scared [bleep], and i dont blame him. Wish i could keep him myself but its just not possible. Hes safe now though. Looking for a permanent home for him. Hope all you hardcases that said to shoot him suffer from violent explosive diarrhea over the holidays.

[Linked Image from pic8.co]
Posted By: mikieb Re: Trapping a dog - 12/18/22
Holy Cow ! good JOB ! he looks like he could be saved.....
Posted By: justin10mm Re: Trapping a dog - 12/18/22
Looks like a pit mix. Should have shot it.
Posted By: ElAhrairah Re: Trapping a dog - 12/18/22
Originally Posted by mikieb
he looks like he could be saved.....

I would consider him highly adoptable. Very timid friendly personality, seems exceptionally talented at making the sad pity me eyes, and probably only about a year old. Hes got a bright future. Just cant figure out how he lasted 2 weeks without getting eaten.
Posted By: jmdriver Re: Trapping a dog - 12/19/22
Originally Posted by mikieb
Holy Cow ! good JOB ! he looks like he could be saved.....

No, he voted for Biden.
Posted By: ElAhrairah Re: Trapping a dog - 12/19/22
Originally Posted by justin10mm
Looks like a pit mix. Should have shot it.

Go get a rope. Tie it to something tall. Put it around your neck. You know the rest. Kill yourself, sodomite.
Posted By: KillerBee Re: Trapping a dog - 12/19/22
If you lived in Canada, I would tell you to ship him to me!
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Trapping a dog - 12/19/22
Just cant figure out how he lasted 2 weeks without getting eaten.

Either lucky or smart. Nice job on perseverance.
Posted By: erikj Re: Trapping a dog - 12/19/22
I'm on the north end of Stevens Co.. Predator populations have done very well. Glad you were able to coax him in.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Trapping a dog - 12/19/22
Alla this schidt over a damn feral dog.

Holy crap.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Trapping a dog - 12/19/22
Plaudits for your compassion and perseverance. Given those qualities on your part, and the vast number of those who are like folks, it is going to work out well for this dog.
Originally Posted by erikj
I'm on the north end of Stevens Co.. Predator populations have done very well. Glad you were able to coax him in.

Up in the wedge? Want a dog? Seems like a real pussycat. Needs a home. Id like to see him end up somewhere good. Hes been living at the dnr gravel pit at haller creek / reidel creek for 2 weeks now. Lifes been rough for him.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Holy crap.

Dumping a pup off in the woods doesnt magically transform it into a feral animal. [bleep] off [bleep].
Posted By: mirage243 Re: Trapping a dog - 12/19/22
I thought camel jockeys ate dogs, I didn't realize you were trying to trap him to give away.
I thought camel jockeys ate dogs, I didn't realize you were trying to trap him to give away.

Camel jockeys? Coming from alabama, nagger capital of the country, you shouldnt be casting stones. Quit being so cranky, your ebt will be refilled in a couple weeks

Also, camel jockeys see dogs as impure, haram. Im sure theyd sooner eat a pig. If you want to be racist, at least research the races you wish to talk [bleep] about, so you can be racist accurately. Hillbilly retards like you give white racists a bad name through your stupidity
Posted By: barm Re: Trapping a dog - 12/19/22
I am glad you got the dog. How does he act around other dogs? When I had my lab we used to have dogs show up all the time which had gotten away from their homes. She was real calm and friendly with other dogs. They would usually approach me when I had her with me.
Posted By: bbassi Re: Trapping a dog - 12/19/22
Looks like he's got some beagle in him. Good on you for giving him a chance.
Originally Posted by bbassi
Looks like he's got some beagle in him. Good on you for giving him a chance.
I thought that too. Dont know wtf he is. I do unfortunately see some shheitbull, but also beagle, boxer, god knows what else. Looks about as mutty as a mutt gets. Hes small, maybe 40 lbs or so, and im guessing a year old, may get a little bigger

Up in the wedge? Want a dog? Seems like a real pussycat. Needs a home. Id like to see him end up somewhere good. Hes been living at the dnr gravel pit at haller creek / reidel creek for 2 weeks now. Lifes been rough for him.
I'm good. Good luck finding a home.

I'm good. Good luck finding a home.

If ya know somebody locally that might take him in, holler at me please
Will do.
Posted By: Hastings Re: Trapping a dog - 12/19/22

Holy crap.

Dumping a pup off in the woods doesn't magically transform it into a feral animal. [bleep] off [bleep].
It is nice that you are kind hearted but not sure why you called him the N word.

Dogs that are dumped in the woods are often troublemakers. My neighbors across the highway are into dog rescue and their ''pets'' came over and killed my daughter's 4-H show goats about a month before the fair, they got by with that. And then their rescue dogs started on her chickens. Now they have a large fenced in area for their rescue animals.

My daughter is a good shot with her .243.
Posted By: ErniesSalad Re: Trapping a dog - 12/19/22
Round these parts a 22-250 works well for us… the hogs clean the mess up.

Holy crap.

Dumping a pup off in the woods doesn't magically transform it into a feral animal. [bleep] off [bleep].
It is nice that you are kind hearted but not sure why you called him the N word.

Dogs that are dumped in the woods are often troublemakers. My neighbors across the highway are into dog rescue and their ''pets'' came over and killed my daughter's 4-H show goats about a month before the fair, they got by with that. And then their rescue dogs started on her chickens. Now they have a large fenced in area for their rescue animals.

Dogs that are dumped off in the woods are often good dogs with [bleep] owners too. You just dont knowuntil you give them a chance. Found this guy dumped off in the mountains 6 years ago. Hes a good for nothin couch potato but he wouldnt hurt a flea. Wont even chase the sheep out of my parents property. About as far from a trouble maker as they come.

Posted By: MadDog4298 Re: Trapping a dog - 12/19/22
Good deal on catching him. Fyi if you want to buddy up to a dog get you some braunschweiger, I’ve never met a dog that didn’t love the stuff!!
Posted By: ironbender Re: Trapping a dog - 12/19/22
Glad to read the dog beat the odds.

Holy crap.

Dogs that are dumped off in the woods are often good dogs with [bleep] owners too. You just dont knowuntil you give them a chance. Found this guy dumped off in the mountains 6 years ago. Hes a good for nothin couch potato but he wouldnt hurt a flea. Wont even chase the sheep out of my parents property. About as far from a trouble maker as they come.

I can guarnfuggintee you you would not talk like that to my face.

You'd best climb off your high horse and figure out the definition of "feral" and what happens to them in ranch country.

I don't make the rules or codes that have been around for a hundred years, but I'm not blind to 'em either.

You are either too thin skinned or too stupid to make it here for very long at the Fire. Using the N-word will damn sure get you banned. Ask those who have..
Posted By: MarkWV Re: Trapping a dog - 12/19/22
That actually looks like a great dog. If I was closer and didn’t already have 4 dogs I’d be interested. Somebody is going to get a good friend.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Trapping a dog - 12/19/22
Snare 'em. I catch them in coyote sets all the time. They'll just sit there until you "untie" them.
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Snare 'em. I catch them in coyote sets all the time. They'll just sit there until you "untie" them.

I turned two of my neighbor's dogs out on sets I had. One wasn't in great shape. Good thing I check snares daily when I set them.

Still irresponsible of them to let their dogs run at large, despite me directly telling him I have coyote traps here, and have seen his dogs many times.

Guess he doesn't care one way or the other.
Posted By: justin10mm Re: Trapping a dog - 12/19/22
The trash people dump out at the end of gravel roads are usually easy enough to take care of. It's when city people move out in the country to their 5 acre "ranch" and let their mutts roam all over the country side that it becomes a problem. Just the other day I found two that had a hog bayed in a livestock tank chewing it up. I've counted as many as 8 in a pack before. Sometimes they make it back home, sometimes they don't.
Posted By: Hastings Re: Trapping a dog - 12/19/22
Originally Posted by justin10mm
The trash people dump out at the end of gravel roads are usually easy enough to take care of. It's when city people move out in the country to their 5 acre "ranch" and let their mutts roam all over the country side that it becomes a problem. Just the other day I found two that had a hog bayed in a livestock tank chewing it up. I've counted as many as 8 in a pack before. Sometimes they make it back home, sometimes they don't.
Out here the problem was dogs that sort of had a home. Big bad dogs with a heavy infusion of pit bull. They would sleep under trailer houses and were not fed much. As hungry canines will do they reverted to their ancestral ways and would pack up looking for something to kill or scavenge, such as fawns and calves. The minority neighbors lost a lot of dogs that were found roaming and pillaging where they did not belong. My neighboring landowner offed 5 at one sitting when they returned to a calf they had killed. Once I had to retrieve a poorly secured 303 Belleisle conibear type trap that a dog made it home with. He put his head in sideways and was still able to get enough air to die in his own yard.

We haven't had much trouble lately.
Posted By: deflave Re: Trapping a dog - 12/19/22
2 weeks in, i think he was just too worn down to be afraid anymore. Lured him into the big pen with some bear meat and chicken. Then getting him into a transportable crate was a cakewalk. Once captured the pup is a real sweetheart. He was just scared [bleep], and i dont blame him. Wish i could keep him myself but its just not possible. Hes safe now though. Looking for a permanent home for him. Hope all you hardcases that said to shoot him suffer from violent explosive diarrhea over the holidays.

If you’re not going to shoot him, please name him “Nugget.”
Posted By: River_Ridge Re: Trapping a dog - 12/19/22

God bless you sir. I'm glad the pup is safe now.
Your experience reminded me of our Daisy. . I found her in the woods while coyote hunting in March of 2008. She was nothing but skin and bones and her face and front of her body were full of porcupine quills. We took her back to camp and fed her and started pulling out the quills. I took her to my home and my wife and son pulled out more quills. I put an announcement on the local radio station about her and a guy described her to a tee and showed up that night to claim her. I told him what she looked like when I found her and that we had made an appointment with the vet and he should keep it. He said she had been gone for aout 2 weeks and he could doctor her up himself. Then he went on to tell how his neighbors called Animal Control because they thought he didn't take good care of his dogs.
He said she was just a throw-in on the deal when he got another dog. The previous owner was moving and was going take her out and shoot her the next day if she didn't have a home. After the guy left I told my wife, "If I ever see that dog running loose I'm going to keep her and there won't be any phone calls".
Two months later one of my friends called and said that dog is back at camp, hiding in the pole barn. I drove up, went out back and whistled and she came running out and jumped into the back seat of my truck. We had her for almost 13 years and she was the best friend I ever had. I figured it up one day and realized we had walked over 6,000 miles together, just Daisy and I. All she ever asked for was to be loved.
The last year saw her physical and mental health decline quickly. I knew the day was coming and dreaded it. As usual, Daisy made it easy for us. She just wandered out back, laid down and went to Dog Heaven. I hope she is waiting for me when I get there.
Posted By: KillerBee Re: Trapping a dog - 12/19/22
1 vote for "Lucky"
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Trapping a dog - 12/19/22
Good looking doggie. Thank you for rescuing him.
Posted By: River_Ridge Re: Trapping a dog - 12/19/22
Originally Posted by KillerBee
1 vote for "Lucky"
👍
Posted By: mirage243 Re: Trapping a dog - 12/19/22

If you’re not going to shoot him, please name him “Nugget.”

🤣🤣🤣
Posted By: Judman Re: Trapping a dog - 12/19/22
Good work Bango Skank. Easy to tell the difference between a feral dog and one that’s been dumped. Glad it worked out.👊🏻
© 24hourcampfire