Home
Posted By: Triggernosis Neuter dog or not? - 12/08/22
My daughter got an intact 18 month old male Corgi that has not been neutered. We don't plan to breed it. Should we have him neutered? Pros/cons?

I seem to recall reading somewhere in the past that neutering a male dog can really mess with their emotional health. I damn sure know it would mess MINE up! šŸ˜„
Posted By: ribka Re: Neuter dog or not? - 12/08/22
yes
Posted By: Timbermaster Re: Neuter dog or not? - 12/08/22
yes vote
Posted By: himmelrr Re: Neuter dog or not? - 12/08/22
Yes.
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
My daughter got an intact 18 month old male Corgi that has not been neutered. We don't plan to breed it. Should we have him neutered? Pros/cons?

I seem to recall reading somewhere in the past that neutering a male dog can really mess with their emotional health. I damn sure know it would mess MINE up! šŸ˜„
Since that breed isn't valued for their impressive musculature, it's no big deal neutering one. If it were a male Boxer, or Am Staff, or something along those lines, you can expect to reduce the hardness of their physique. This is minimized a bit by waiting till they are three, but even then, they will lose some muscle weight afterwards. With a Corgi, it's not an issue.

As for personality, it will calm them down a bit, and if they are constantly trying to hump your leg or your female dogs, this issue will be reduced dramatically, although it may not disappear completely.

No other down sides that I know of.
Posted By: DLSguide Re: Neuter dog or not? - 12/08/22
Yes
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Neuter dog or not? - 12/08/22
Definitely yes. It'll take care of many potential problems.
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Neuter dog or not? - 12/08/22
Since you asked, should we cut your balls off?
Posted By: asheepdog Re: Neuter dog or not? - 12/08/22
YES, neuter him
Posted By: ribka Re: Neuter dog or not? - 12/08/22
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Since that breed isn't valued for their impressive musculature, it's no big deal neutering one. If it were a male Boxer, or Am Staff, or something along those lines, you can expect to reduce the hardness of their physique. This is minimized a bit by waiting till they are three, but even then, they will lose some muscle weight afterwards. With a Corgi, it's not an issue.

As for personality, it will calm them down a bit, and if they are constantly trying to hump your leg or your female dogs, this issue will be reduced dramatically, although it may not disappear completely.

No other down sides that I know of.

not remotely true. Ive neutered all of my male hunting dogs around 18 to 20 months not one lost an ounce of muscle weight . In fact as they aged a bit more with more workouts, training they gained some weight
Posted By: muleshoe Re: Neuter dog or not? - 12/08/22
Yes
Posted By: DANNYL Re: Neuter dog or not? - 12/08/22
SNIP SNIP Have one getting it done next month. Only issues we've had is most dogs we've had tend to put on weight.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Neuter dog or not? - 12/08/22
After they have reached their growth potential, yes. But not before. They need their hormones to develop correctly.

At 18-24 months he should be good to go.
Posted By: Triggernosis Re: Neuter dog or not? - 12/09/22
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Since you asked, should we cut your balls off?
It probably would have saved me a lot of heartache and trouble over the years if I'd had it done when I was about 15 years old. šŸ˜
Posted By: slumlord Re: Neuter dog or not? - 12/09/22
Let him bang the neighborā€™s miniature collie firstā€¦ That would prolly be a sweet piece of ass for a corgie
Posted By: Morewood Re: Neuter dog or not? - 12/09/22
I'd like my 1.5 year old standard poodle to crack one off in a hot bitch before we neuter him.

It's the least I can do.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Neuter dog or not? - 12/09/22

It messes up their hormones.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Neuter dog or not? - 12/09/22
Originally Posted by Morewood
I'd like my 1.5 year old standard poodle to crack one off in a hot bitch before we neuter him.

It's the least I can do.
https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTR4KSqJX/
Posted By: ribka Re: Neuter dog or not? - 12/09/22
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

what hormones does it affect? specifically after 18 months?

what about testicular cancer?
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Neuter dog or not? - 12/09/22
One of the reasons I bought a male Lab some years ago was because my Previous was a bit uncomfortable about staying alone while I was working nights. We kept him intact to preserve his ā€œedgeā€ as a protector, not that Labs are generally known for being great security dogs. He was never allowed to roam and and never had ā€œissueā€, nor gave us any trouble by being aggressive, ever. Heā€™s long gone, as is the Previous.

Once while I was walking him at the local ballfield, a lady came over to pet him. She was pleasant enough, but then asked me in a very annoying tone, ā€œAnd WHY hasnā€™t he been neutered?ā€, like it was any of her fugging business. I replied, ā€œHe and I discussed this and he said that if I let him keep his testicles, heā€™d let me keep mineā€.
Posted By: kenacp Re: Neuter dog or not? - 12/09/22
I have a Springer that had a beautiful coat. Now has some funky hair as a result. All in all, I would say do it.
No getting around it, male dogs make better pets and companions if they are neutered. When intact, the testosterone drives them nutty.
Originally Posted by Pappy348
One of the reasons I bought a male Lab some years ago was because my Previous was a bit uncomfortable about staying alone while I was working nights. We kept him intact to preserve his ā€œedgeā€ as a protector, not that Labs are generally known for being great security dogs. He was never allowed to roam and and never had ā€œissueā€, nor gave us any trouble by being aggressive, ever. Heā€™s long gone, as is the Previous.

Once while I was walking him at the local ballfield, a lady came over to pet him. She was pleasant enough, but then asked me in a very annoying tone, ā€œAnd WHY hasnā€™t he been neutered?ā€, like it was any of her fugging business. I replied, ā€œHe and I discussed this and he said that if I let him keep his testicles, heā€™d let me keep mineā€.
Don't you hate that [bleep]? Vets are now indoctrinated to constantly push for it, too.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Neuter dog or not? - 12/09/22
After neutering our puggle our vet recommended putting him on half rations. I modified this by giving him full ration in the morning and half ration in the evening when he's be less active than during the day. He maintained a healthy weight with no gain thereafter with no ill effects.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Neuter dog or not? - 12/09/22
Typical Leftist BS. They think they know everything, and that everyone should do their bidding.

My dog had quite a set of doodads, and I always found it funny when strangers would assume he was a female.

ā€œTake another look, Lady!ā€
Originally Posted by ribka

Growth hormones for one.

Growth hormones for one.

so what is the specific result? Why do all vets and very experienced breeders( the ones I've dealt with) suggest neutering or spaying after maturing?
All the vets and experienced breeders you have dealt with? That doesn't mean they are right. I have had a lot of dogs over a 60 year span, mostly males and I have never had a dog develop testicular cancer.

I know of a very well known Bull Mastiff breeder that has a lifetime warranty on his dogs. He is very specific on what to feed them, exercise regimens etc etc. He will void the warranty if they are spayed or neutered. He recommends if it has to be done to do it after they are fully mature which takes a Mastiff 3 1/2 years or so.
Posted By: MadDog4298 Re: Neuter dog or not? - 12/09/22
Iā€™ve neutered a bunch and have had the vet neuter some to and havenā€™t had anything but positive results.

Years ago my grandpa had fox hounds along with several others and they would all get together and hunt. One day my grandpa and uncle was over at another fox hunters house and they were talking dogs and my grandpa asked what about this one dog and the guy said that was another guys hound that lived a couple miles away and he was tired of it hanging around there and he told my grandpa and uncle he would cut it if they would hold it so they held it for the guy and this guy neuters the dog but doesnā€™t do it right and just cuts the whole bag off slick. They let go of the dog and it takes off for home. The next Saturday my uncle and grandpa was over at the cut dogs owners house and they was talking hounds and they ask about this particular dog that they helped cut the week before and the guy said I donā€™t know whatā€™s wrong with that dog all he wants to do is lay around and lick his nuts. They couldnā€™t hardly keep from laughing, they said that dog took a couple months to heal up but went back to running and was just as good of a dog as he was before his whole bag got cut off!!!
Posted By: MadDog4298 Re: Neuter dog or not? - 12/09/22
[quote=Oldelkhunter][quote=ribka][quote=Oldelkhunter][quote=Triggernosis]

so what is the specific result? Why do all vets and very experienced breeders( the ones I've dealt with) suggest neutering or spaying after maturing?

I donā€™t know why the vets say spay or neuter but I know why the experienced breeders want you to, itā€™s because they donā€™t want the competition. Most want to sell you a registered dog but wonā€™t let you have the papers with it because you will want to raise a litter of pups down the road and cut in on their completion.
Posted By: Wannabebwana Re: Neuter dog or not? - 12/09/22
I donā€™t even understand why this is a conversation these days. Same as the fuqqing idiots who dump litters of kittens at farms, assuming the farmer wants them. Most get shot.

AFA breeders and competition, here in Canada itā€™s illegal for a breeder to sell a dog as ā€œpurebredā€ if they donā€™t supply the papers. Federal law. I wouldnā€™t be surprised that itā€™s the same in the US.
A lot of vets will push for spaying and neutering at to young of an age IMO. I think they do it partly for the money and partially to prevent unwanted kittens and puppies due to someone waiting until a more appropriate age to have it done and the animal reproducing. Some dogs, especially bigger breeds IMO spayed/neutered at the very young ages some vets recommend donā€™t seem to fully develop.

Itā€™s worth having a fully adult dog neutered to avoid the humping and tendency to stray IMO.
Posted By: toltecgriz Re: Neuter dog or not? - 12/09/22
Not. I've had lots of dogs. The boys keeping their nuts has NEVER been a problem.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Neuter dog or not? - 12/09/22
Ask the dog.
lol

I know the whpg breeders I know want tp protect their genetics of the breed and don't want a bunch of back yard goobers destroying the breed and the genetics to make a buck

both my whpg have lifetime guarantees too breeder suggested getting fixed if not breeding after they matured if I did not breed them and he has been breeding over this breed over 40 years. ill take his word and my vet who breeds hunting dogs

All the vets and experienced breeders you have dealt with? That doesn't mean they are right. I have had a lot of dogs over a 60 year span, mostly males and I have never had a dog develop testicular cancer.

I know of a very well known Bull Mastiff breeder that has a lifetime warranty on his dogs. He is very specific on what to feed them, exercise regimens etc etc. He will void the warranty if they are spayed or neutered. He recommends if it has to be done to do it after they are fully mature which takes a Mastiff 3 1/2 years or so.

all of the grills
Originally Posted by MadDog4298
[quote=Oldelkhunter][quote=ribka][quote=Oldelkhunter][quote=Triggernosis]

I donā€™t know why the vets say spay or neuter but I know why the experienced breeders want you to, itā€™s because they donā€™t want the competition. Most want to sell you a registered dog but wonā€™t let you have the papers with it because you will want to raise a litter of pups down the road and cut in on their completion.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Neuter dog or not? - 12/09/22
I would.

I don't need a set of nuts on my dog to make me a man.
Some, seem to!

Didn't want our Boxer neutered, hoped to let him enjoy making us a few $$.
One day, he decided to mark my wife as "HIS".

Pissed right on her!šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

She took it ok.

Couple days later she was taking clothes off the line and folding them.
He ran up and pissed in the basket!

She took the clothes back to the washer and called the vet.

He wouldn't cut a Boxer until it was a year.
Dillon got cut at 13 months.
A big Boxer, he never got as muscular as he could have.
70# now, but built more like a female.

My manhood isn't dependant on my dog, so that's no big deal.
He is 11 and in great shape, some gray and not as peppy, but otherwise
no different than 5 years ago.

Losing his nuts hasn't hurt him at all.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Neuter dog or not? - 12/09/22
Iā€™ve had two male dogs, an old English sheepdog and a little rat terrier/chihuahua mutt, neither were neutered, no problems, both lived 13+ years.

One of my present mutts, an adopted stray, still has his set. Two years now and no problems with him either. He does try to hump every dog of either persuasion that will hold still long enough in the dog park but hey, what happens in the dog park stays in the dog park.

We donā€™t go to those places much anyway.
Posted By: Mossy Re: Neuter dog or not? - 12/09/22
Don't you hate that [bleep]? Vets are now indoctrinated to constantly push for it, too.

Interestingly enough our vet advised us to wait 18-24 months before we neutered our Lab. Jaeger is 4 now and our vet still hasnā€™t pushed to have him neutered. Never says a word other than how healthy is.
Posted By: deflave Re: Neuter dog or not? - 12/09/22

Try shooting it first.

But if that doesnā€™t work, yeah. Have it neutered.
Posted By: Dutch Re: Neuter dog or not? - 12/09/22
Iā€™m a ā€œnoā€ vote.

All my dogs are intact. In my breed, neutering comes with serious health issues, primarily weight gain and lack of energy/drive, which in turn results in numerous health problems and shortened life spans. Many females develop spay related incontinence.

Once neutered, the dogā€™s coat loses its ability to self clean and becomes much longer as well, resulting in a smelly, greasy long haired dog that needs frequent bathing.

I understand many people wonā€™t deal with an intact dog. Nevertheless, if the question is ā€œwhatā€™s best for the dogā€, in my opinion that is to be kept intact.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Neuter dog or not? - 12/09/22
Remove a key component of a dogā€™s endocrine system? Why not? All most people do with their dogs is trip over them and clean up after them anyway.
Originally Posted by Mossy

Interestingly enough our vet advised us to wait 18-24 months before we neutered our Lab. Jaeger is 4 now and our vet still hasnā€™t pushed to have him neutered. Never says a word other than how healthy is.
There are exceptions to every rule.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Neuter dog or not? - 12/09/22
Originally Posted by Pappy348

You hit that one out of the park pappy. At 67 it's been my experience that females are nervous about males be they 2 or 4 legged that can fug anywhere anytime they get the chance. Keeping men on a leash are what women seem to be about these days..mb
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Neuter dog or not? - 12/09/22
Yes, unless you will enjoy watching the dog hump your daughter's leg or lick his nuts. It is BS that it gives them an edge as a protector. Every dog I have had for over 50 years has been spayed or neutered. Every one has been very protective. Sometimes overly. Male or female. Especially for my wife. Our present one, a lab cross from a rescue, would die for her and no one can touch my wife. Even I have to be careful not to surprise the dog. If it is just me and the dog, it is every man for himself.

I am not an animal rights activist or left liberal, but go down to a pound some day and see how many dogs they put to sleep each week because an irresponsible pet owner didn't want spay or neuter their dog. Responsible breeders excluded.
Posted By: Jericho Re: Neuter dog or not? - 12/09/22
My ex SIL had a tom cat that she found as a kitten. She had him neutered and he put on a ton of weight and slept 18 hours a day.
Posted By: Dre Re: Neuter dog or not? - 12/09/22
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
After they have reached their growth potential, yes. But not before. They need their hormones to develop correctly.

This!
I have had boxers and English bull dogs in the past. Had two litters from each. Always told the new owners to wait at least a year. 2 be better.
At least one heat for the females and wait to get closer to the second one if you must fix her that soon.
The dogs need their hormones to develop properly.
Ones who have waited their dogs looked great.
The ones who believed their vet, their dog didnā€™t look the same and had health issues and structure wasnā€™t the same.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Neuter dog or not? - 12/09/22
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Bingo.

Plus...corgies are Ɣssholes.
Posted By: muleshoe Re: Neuter dog or not? - 12/09/22
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Ask the dog.

Find out how they identify.
Posted By: DouginAlaska Re: Neuter dog or not? - 12/09/22
Get him a nut job, he'll be a much better dog for you.
Posted By: NDsnowman Re: Neuter dog or not? - 12/09/22
You say that you don't plan to breed it, but all male dogs have their own plans. Neuter him.
Posted By: hillestadj Re: Neuter dog or not? - 12/09/22
Originally Posted by NDsnowman
You say that you don't plan to breed it, but all male dogs have their own plans. Neuter him.

If you don't own intact females and keep your dog under control (as all dog owners should) his plans don't mean sh.it
Posted By: JeffA Re: Neuter dog or not? - 12/09/22
Just say NO unless your mutt develops traits you find undesirable then decide.
Posted By: killerv Re: Neuter dog or not? - 12/09/22
Originally Posted by Mossy

I've got a 5 yo lab and I've put it off, he's seems to be just fine, our gsp girl is fixed and he'll ride her on occasion but I cant stand her anyway, he can have at it. I do have a friend who'll bring his daughters over on occasion, I do have to be watchful when they are around. My last lab lived 10 years with his balls intact, my vet though says you'll get a few more if you take them out...

Old county I lived in it was actually mandatory for you to have your dog fixed.
Originally Posted by JeffA
Just say NO unless your mutt develops traits you find undesirable then decide.
I agree with this. No reason to do it if you keep your dog under control, and he's not showing problematic behavior (or having medical problems) associated with high testosterone.

That's the way I've always done it. My male Doberman (gone since 2001) kept his till he was middle aged and started pissing blood. Vet said it was the high testosterone that was causing it, and it could lead to serious issues if he wasn't neutered, so I agreed.

My Pitbull (gone since 2011) kept his for about three years. Fixed male dogs would see him and attack him for no apparent reason. Vet said it was because he was intact, and they could smell it. He said fixing him would solve the issue. It didn't.

My Old English Bulldog (now middle aged) kept his till he was three. I finally agreed to have it done due to his constant obsession with humping my female half Pitbull (now 12.5 years old). It was making life miserable for her. His harassment of her went way down afterwards, even though he still occasionally tries to mount her. Not nearly as much, though.
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Neuter dog or not? - 12/09/22
Most of the guys say 2 years and then decide because it changes how the dog growsā€¦
** City dogs have long legs because they are clipped young and instead of muscle it goes to bonesā€¦ pretty wild.

I do agree with the behavior thing - but if you have female / male dogs that also comes into play
Posted By: JPro Re: Neuter dog or not? - 12/09/22
One area of dog ownership that I feel really benefits is the rural "yard dog". Males that are snipped don't roam and/or fight nearly as much. Ones that are fenced aren't as prone to digging out either.
Posted By: RyanTX Re: Neuter dog or not? - 12/09/22
By far, the majority are saying "yes". It seems like most are saying that based on the behavior effects with not much mention of it being done for long term health reasons?

My last lab was intact his whole 15 yrs of life. He was calm and I never saw him hump anything other than an in-heat female. Current dog (german shorthair) just turned 3 and is still intact. Very well behaved dog. He's got is own blanket that he drags around the house and rolls up in. Every so often, he rolls it up in the middle of the living room floor and goes to town with it for us all to watch.

He is a fantastic dog (one of the best I've ever had), so we are keeping him intact with the hopes of breeding him one day so we can keep one of his offspring.
Posted By: PineTop Re: Neuter dog or not? - 12/09/22
Not...
Let the damn neighbors have their mutts fixed.
I wasn't going to fix my Pitbull (gone since summer of 2011), because the only behavior being intact caused was his habit of humping his bed. Apart from that, he was about as good a dog as anyone could hope for.

The vet talked me into it eventually by telling me that it would make fixed male dogs less likely to attack him, which was a problem I was having. As I said earlier, that actually didn't work. They still attacked him.

I think he was attacked so often because of how he held himself rather than because he smelled of testosterone. When a dominant male would come by, he'd usually expect other male dogs to expose their bellies and wag their tails, and that would prevent being attacked. My dog held his head high, and ignored dominant dogs that came over to him, which seemed to enrage them into attacking him. So there was no reason at all to have had him fixed. Wasted pain and money.
Posted By: Kram7088 Re: Neuter dog or not? - 12/09/22
I would.
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: Neuter dog or not? - 12/09/22
Again the anthropomorphism rears its head.

Unless your going to breed them there is no reason not to. When to do it is a moving dot, hopefully youā€™ve a good vet that stays current.

Thereā€™s a ton of dogs out there looking for homes because some cĆ¼nt thought theyā€™d recoup the money they spent on FiFi by selling puppies. No X-rays, or bloodwork. Itā€™s literally destroying breeds. Lots of other dogs looking for homes because another piece of shĆ®t was too lazy to have it done, or too broke to pay for it. Like kids, if you canā€™t afford them donā€™t have them. That includes medical care and feed.

I love dogs, like really love dogs. But Iā€™ve no problem blowing the brains out of them that deserve it. Whether through their own actions, or the shĆ®tbirds that are responsible for them.
Posted By: MartinStrummer Re: Neuter dog or not? - 12/09/22
Have a 110 pound Rotty. At about 2 y.o. he began to get a little unruly. Not mean or vicious, just hard headed.
.....and when your best friends come over and your 110 pound Rotty begins leg humping your buddy's 95 pound wife šŸ˜–, it's time to take action.

Took about 6 to 8 months to come full circle and the drive to drop off, but he's much calmer now and is much more obedient! .....and the neighbor's wife isn't concerned about getting raped when she comes over!
Posted By: Reba Re: Neuter dog or not? - 12/09/22
yes yes yes
© 24hourcampfire