Home
Posted By: OSU_Sig 2023 Nissan Frontier - 12/23/22
Anyone driving one? Drove the Pro 4-X Crew Cab this week and was pretty impressed.
Posted By: AB2506 Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 12/23/22
No, it's been years since I drove a Nissan truck. I've always preferred the Tacoma by a wide margin.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 12/23/22
How is the turning radius? On the previous generation, it was school bus like. Other than that my Frontier was superior to the Tacoma it replaced in every way that mattered to me. Better price, better fuel economy, more comfortable and quieter.
Posted By: Teal Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 12/23/22
I didn't look at them when I bought my taco too closely.

I know 2 people with Nissan trucks and neither was happy with them once they put miles on. So I went to what I knew and liked - Tacoma.
Posted By: BWalker Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 12/23/22
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
How is the turning radius? On the previous generation, it was school bus like. Other than that my Frontier was superior to the Tacoma it replaced in every way that mattered to me. Better price, better fuel economy, more comfortable and quieter.
All that might be true, but Nissan trucks are not in the same league reliability wise.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 12/23/22
They have a ways to go before they are close to a Tacoma. I think they could have made the interior larger and the vehicle quieter.
Posted By: duke61 Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 12/23/22
Agree Nissan is not in the same class with Tacoma
Posted By: cumminscowboy Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 12/23/22
Before the Renault merger they were very reliable
Originally Posted by BWalker
All that might be true, but Nissan trucks are not in the same league reliability wise.

Interesting that you mention that. My Tacoma went to the shop for a valve spring recall of some sort. Got it back and it pinged like crazy. That's when I got rid of it and got the Frontier.
Posted By: Aviator Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 12/23/22
I’m curious how the Frontier is inferior to the Tacoma? I bought a new Frontier in 2011 V6 King Cab SV 130K now not one single issue other than regular Maintenance oil brakes etc.
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 12/23/22
I'm on my fifth Nissan, and I've had zero issues with mine, none at all. I have driven a couple of Toyota pickups, and found the driving position was more comfortable in the Nissans. Period. I cannot get comfortable in a Tacoma, for whatever reasons, seat height, angles, whatever. I've been driving them since 1977 or thereabouts. Turning radius on the 2004-2022s WAS pretty bad, frankly, and I suspect the new '23s are the same (same chassis, after all), but once you get used to them, they aren't THAT bad, either. Reliability has been excellent for me, again, zero issues beyond regular service.
Locally, the same family owns both the Toyota dealership AND the Nissan dealership across the road, and they have been stellar in taking care of anything that comes up on our vehicles (wife has been driving Toyotas) with no complaints there, either.
Nissan HAS upped their prices, so there's little difference in MSRPs between the Frontier and Tacomas now, so I see any differences as a wash Frankly, when I bought mine, there was about a $5000 difference in price, withOUT any benefits I could see. Since the prices are so similar now, and I like the Toyota sales staff a lot better than the Nissan place, I'll probably buy a Toyota next time, but not a Tacoma, something, anything, else, that's more comfortable. I cannot get comfortable in a Tacoma.
Originally Posted by Aviator
I’m curious how the Frontier is inferior to the Tacoma? I bought a new Frontier in 2011 V6 King Cab SV 130K now not one single issue other than regular Maintenance oil brakes etc.

The first 130 is easy, it's the next 250k that's hard.
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 12/23/22

There was a recall on the transmission cooler on the pre-2008 model Frontiers with the big V-6s, and it could be pretty bad if you didn't get a new radiator and cooler, but that's the only thing I can think of, there have been no other recalls I can think of, and Nissan fixed that under warranty. There have also been some issues with the sending units in the gas tanks (gas gauge), also fixed under warranty. That's it, at least on the ones I've had (2007 and 2016). The cooler issue was fixed with the 2008s and later vehicles. My '16 has been trouble-free, I'm still driving it every day.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 12/23/22

Frontier frames rust out faster than Tacomas?

😂
Posted By: centershot Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 12/23/22
Bought my Frontier new in 2013, it now has 124,000 miles on it. Only issue I've had is with the stupid evac canister. Thinking about buying a new one also.
Posted By: SS336 Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 12/23/22
I have a 2012 Pro-4x that I like a lot. Trouble free so far with only routine maintenance. It’s fast and quiet, gets only fair gas mileage. Does everything I ask it to do. No complaints. Frame hasn’t rusted out yet. 😎

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: scottf270 Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 12/23/22
Drove a couple of Dakota's for 15 years. Put many a hard mile hunting out of them. Wanted to replace the last one with another small truck.

Really wanted to like the new Frontier. Thought it drove better than a Tacoma and power train and seating position was better also. Back seat and overall size seemed small. Price was actually a bit higher than the Toyota.

In the end, I bought a V6 Ram used in quad cab. I just didn't see any advantage price or mpg wise to the small trucks. Will remember my Dakota's fondly but already like the Ram better.
I bought a new Toyota 4wd in 1987 didn’t even make 100k miles and the frame rusted out. Not a bit of rust on my 2011 Frontier yet.
I bought a new Toyota 4wd in 1987 didn’t even make 100k miles and the frame rusted out. Not a bit of rust on my 2011 Frontier yet.

Had an 89 - 125k miles in WI before totaled. Zero frame issues
Had a 97 - 187k miles before totaled. Zero frame issues
Have a 22 - 2400 miles, frozen in my driveway today - I've not started it since Tuesday. SERIOUSLY doubt I'll have issue. No frame issues.

Then again - I'll wash mine from time to time.
Originally Posted by Teal

Have a 22 - 2400 miles, frozen in my driveway today - I've not started it since Tuesday. SERIOUSLY doubt I'll have issue. No frame issues.

I think late 1988 is when Toyota fixed the frame issue.. they had a recall on some of the vin numbers from 85-88.
Originally Posted by scottf270
Drove a couple of Dakota's for 15 years. Put many a hard mile hunting out of them. Wanted to replace the last one with another small truck.

Really wanted to like the new Frontier. Thought it drove better than a Tacoma and power train and seating position was better also. Back seat and overall size seemed small. Price was actually a bit higher than the Toyota.

In the end, I bought a V6 Ram used in quad cab. I just didn't see any advantage price or mpg wise to the small trucks. Will remember my Dakota's fondly but already like the Ram better.

I went from the Frontier to a V6 Ram, and it was better than the Frontier in every single regard. Much smoother, much quieter, much more comfortable, better economy (much better on the highway) and more powerful.
Posted By: broomd Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 12/23/22
The all-new 2023 Frontier is likely a far better truck than the Tacoma.

Fwiw, I'm a devoted 2020 Toyota Tundra owner (and Lexus and Toyota Yaris) and huge fan--other than the disastrous rollout of the new '22 Tundra--and all of the reading I've done shows a fabulous new truck by Nissan. If people really compare them the Nissan will enjoy great sales.

We get the 'if it ain't broke don't fix it,' thinking, but the '23 Tacoma is yesterday's news until Toyota gets done reaming people with dated technology and old sheetmetal.
That said, apparently Toyota is FINALLY offering a new Taco for '24, time will tell.

Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 12/23/22

Now that is a valid comparison. You must be hell on a truck. I bet you see way more Toyota trucks on the road than Nissan and in much better shape.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 12/23/22
I have a base 2019 Frontier, 71,000 on it now no problems. I actually wanted a Tacoma but it didn’t fit the budget.

A friend has a new Tacoma he bought because his 100,000+ mile Frontier was having problems

Three people at work however
have high mileage ~200,000 mile Nissans; two Frontiers and a Titan, they report no problems so far, so I have my fingers crossed.

My Frontier does have a crappy turning radius, but that’s why God invented three-point turns, the backup camera helps a lot.
Posted By: Jackson_Handy Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 12/23/22
Tacoma's have zero balls. I've owned 5 (2001x2, 2009, 2010, 213). Owned 1 frontier (2012). The frontier was the better made pickup.

I now drive a Nissan Titan xd. Does exactly what I need it to do.
Posted By: AML Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 12/23/22
My brother's x-terra is at 280 k and has been a very reliable vehicle. I was shopping both the Frontier and Tacoma back in March but dealers were charging thousands over sticker because of supply/demand issues and getting it. I ended up with a GMC Canyon at4 that has been good so far but its early yet.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 12/23/22

I got a '92 toyota pu with 350K and a '05 nissan frontier with 292K. It's hard to compare the 2 trucks, because the toyota was a plane jane 4 cyl truck and the frontier is a crewcab 6 cyl. I wouldn't hesitate to buy either one.
Posted By: AB2506 Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 12/24/22
I drove a 1991 Extracab 4x4 pickup (Hilux) from October 1990 until April 2011. Excellent truck. It finally needed some work and the family was of an age when size mattered. I tried to get them sold on a crewcab Tacoma, but they wanted more space.

I started looking at fullsize trucks. My friend had had a 2007 Tundra and I new I didn't like it, especially when it would cost 8-10 thousand more dollars to get the same equipment I could get on a Ford F150 Supercrew FX4 with leather seats. I did my on-line research and was happy (and still am with the Ford) with the Ford.

I agree with those that say the newest Tacomas are not as comfortable to sit in as previous models.
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 12/24/22
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Before the Renault merger they were very reliable

Drove my fair share of nissan pathfinders prior to merger.....
Was very happy with the 2009-2011 models a had.

Once the pathfinder body style changed in '13 ive been a 4runner guy ever since.

Never understood why nissan dumped the xterra.
Posted By: lostleader Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 12/24/22
Had a bunch of frontiers , only 1 issue with a transfer case piece at 90K and they traded me out if it pretty reasonable.
3 Ford F150s (wife wanted more room for camping stuff) .
2 of the three have had problems. Seriously considering another Frontier if I buy another new pickup. Wife needs to learn to pack better.
Posted By: Lucas1 Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 12/24/22
I have a 22 Frontier sv crew cab 4x4. I really like it and it rides and drives great. The turning radius is still not as good as others. You actually feel like you're sitting in a truck and not low down like a Tacoma. I've had it a little over a year. My only complaint is the transmission downshifting alot when going up a hill with the cruise set.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 12/24/22
Thanks for all the input. I'm picking up a 2023 Frontier Pro-4X Crew cab today. I owned a 2015 Tacoma but could never get comfortable during road trips. This Frontier has great leg room and the seats feel quite comfortable. Big V6 produces good hp and torque, mated to a 9 speed transmission. Towing capacity is well over 6,000 lbs. I'm excited to pick it up and feel good about the decision.

There is a back story on why I'm buying a mid sized pickup but I'll not go into that here.

Merry Christmas all!!
Posted By: noKnees Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 12/24/22
I bought a 2022 frontier, started looking at the Toyota, but a couple of things turned me off it. Mostly the ergonomics of the interior and its ride. Pricing wise the toyota dealer was asking quite a bit over list and the the similar equipped frontier was ~6K less.

For me the truck is an extra vehicle, for towing and some hunting trips so we don't put big miles on it, but so far, so good on the Frontier.

I have to say the midsize trucks have come a long way. Towing wise I think the new frontier is better tow vehicle than my 2004 1500 dodge which was my last pick up.
Posted By: fburgtx Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 12/24/22
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Thanks for all the input. I'm picking up a 2023 Frontier Pro-4X Crew cab today. I owned a 2015 Tacoma but could never get comfortable during road trips. This Frontier has great leg room and the seats feel quite comfortable. Big V6 produces good hp and torque, mated to a 9 speed transmission. Towing capacity is well over 6,000 lbs. I'm excited to pick it up and feel good about the decision.

There is a back story on why I'm buying a mid sized pickup but I'll not go into that here.

Merry Christmas all!!

Never owned a Tacoma, but a friend has had a few. When I ride in ‘em, I feel like I’m riding in a car (not in a good way). My rear end is only a few inches off the floor, and my feet/legs are way out in front of me. Just don’t find it comfortable/appealing position for a “truck”.

Combine that with the dismal mileage (17-18mpg), and the piss-poor towing capacity, (and until the recent Bidenflation, it was only $5-$7k less than a V8 fullsize), I just didn’t see the appeal.
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 12/24/22
Congrats on the new wagon, OSU. I seriously considered a mid-size when I was shopping in Oct/Nov. IMO, the Frontier was the best of the bunch as I found it very comfortable, quiet, and smooth. I liked the Ranger, too, but the dealers were way too proud of them. The Colorado/Canyon drove pretty well but they already look 10 years old. Ultimately, I decided to stick with a 1500 but the smaller trucks have come a long way. I'll be curious to hear your thoughts after a few thousand miles.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 12/24/22
I'll post some initial thoughts after a week or so and more as I get miles put on it.
Posted By: Heym06 Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 12/24/22
Nothing wrong with the nissan. It's still a small pickup! Get what you want, make yourself happy. Who gaf what people here say!
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 12/25/22
For the record, this will be a daily driver and used for towing a light camper. I have a 1 Ton Super Duty if required.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 12/25/22

Interesting that you mention that. My Tacoma went to the shop for a valve spring recall of some sort. Got it back and it pinged like crazy. That's when I got rid of it and got the Frontier.
Paul

do Toyota products act like Ruger products around you? wink
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 12/25/22
Originally Posted by Lucas1
I have a 22 Frontier sv crew cab 4x4. I really like it and it rides and drives great. The turning radius is still not as good as others. You actually feel like you're sitting in a truck and not low down like a Tacoma. I've had it a little over a year. My only complaint is the transmission downshifting alot when going up a hill with the cruise set.

When the warranty runs out, go get enough Dextron 3 to change the fluid. Flush out the nissan fluid and replace with the Dextron. It will stop all that downshifting on every hill. I changed mine out about 7 years ago and it hasn't hurt a thing.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 12/25/22
Originally Posted by broomd

Fwiw, I'm a devoted 2020 Toyota Tundra owner (and Lexus and Toyota Yaris) and huge fan--other than the disastrous rollout of the new '22 Tundra--and all of the reading I've done shows a fabulous new truck by Nissan. If people really compare them the Nissan will enjoy great sales.

We get the 'if it ain't broke don't fix it,' thinking, but the '23 Tacoma is yesterday's news until Toyota gets done reaming people with dated technology and old sheetmetal.
That said, apparently Toyota is FINALLY offering a new Taco for '24, time will tell.

When one or the other, maybe both, come up with better looking front end/grill treatments I may consider buying a new truck.

Those things are just fugly.

For now, I think I'll stick with the '02 Tacoma and be happy. Probably need to send the driver's side seat to Higgenz's pop for new upholstery soon. 260K miles is a lot of wear on a fabric seat. Probably get a rebuilt or used engine when this one goes.
Posted By: BWalker Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 12/25/22
Originally Posted by MadMooner

Frontier frames rust out faster than Tacomas?

😂
I have 200K on my 2012 Tacoma with 6 of those years in probably the worst road salt are in the country. No frame rust.
Toyota replaced those rusted frame years too BTW. Most every other auto company would not do that.
I have absolutely tortured my Tacoma and subjected it to stuff you guys will never do. The only parts it has ate is a serpentine belt a set of front brakes and tires.

Most of you pick trucks like a city slicker women would.
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 12/25/22
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I love my 2010 Frontier. It is not possible that the Tacoma is any better. 87,000 miles and no problems. You need to haul 1,500 pounds of gravel, this truck has done it 25 times. This in a half-ton truck. Real good for firewood too.

Took the girlfriend on a 5,000 mile trip out to Yellowstone in the Jap truck, she says the Frontier is more comfortable than her Lexus.

I just installed the studded tires last week, this truck owns the mountains in the ice and snow.
Posted By: Seafire Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 12/26/22

I think late 1988 is when Toyota fixed the frame issue.. they had a recall on some of the vin numbers from 85-88.
I've got an 88 4 Runner I bought brand new, with 2 miles on the odometer....
Kept it out of most of the winter salted roads, even if I had to garage it all winter....

Still own that truck.... last new vehicle I ever purchased.. It is sitting in the driveway, off the road for the winter, since Oregon started putting salt on the roads.... Its got 590K on the vehicle now...Original engine, trans etc....Mobil ONE and Delvac 1 is the oil most commonly used in it... 20,000 mile oil drains... new filter every 5K until I started using Mobil 1 filters quite a while ago, when they came out and Wally Mart had them available.

Don't care for a Datsun whatsoever...
Posted By: srwshooter Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 12/26/22
the nissan has got to be the ugleist pickup ever designed. last few years they have gotten worse.
Posted By: JohnnyLoco Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 12/26/22
Teal, I’ve almost got my new taco satisfactory with all the youtube cheat codes,Bank’s Pedal Monster, and removal of the underhood beeper and the inside beeper behind the instruments.

Changing the Cruise Control from Radar to Conventional was a biggie for me too.
Posted By: RDW Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 12/26/22
My '05 4.0/6spd Crew Cab 4x2 was driven hard, beat on at times, 10 years and 200K miles.

Cam chain shoes when bad, replaced under warranty in a few days.

Pinion seal leaked, replaced it myself.

PDC went bad and left me stranded at a gas station, replace under warranty in a few days.

Cam chain shoes went bad again about 110K miles and I drove it rattling until 195K miles and replaced them myself, eight hours total and a few hundred dollars.

Drivers door window motor went bad, replaced it myself.

If I wanted another small truck I would buy another, but an automatic.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 12/26/22
Originally Posted by broomd

A new Tacoma for 2024? I wonder how much uglier it will be? If the rest of the toyota fleet is any indication, the Tacoma will go from unattractive to "WTF?", like the Tundra and every other toyota did in recent years. Toyota pledged to move away from boring styling, but went straight to OMG.

If the new Tacoma gets the same treatment as the new Tundra, it'll be an ugly, plastic bumpered street queen geared towards people who would find a car more suitable to them, but want to own a truck to join the club.
Posted By: BIGR Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 12/26/22
Originally Posted by simonkenton7

I love my 2010 Frontier. It is not possible that the Tacoma is any better. 87,000 miles and no problems. You need to haul 1,500 pounds of gravel, this truck has done it 25 times. This in a half-ton truck. Real good for firewood too.

Took the girlfriend on a 5,000 mile trip out to Yellowstone in the Jap truck, she says the Frontier is more comfortable than her Lexus.

I just installed the studded tires last week, this truck owns the mountains in the ice and snow.

Looks like your truck is sitting just below the Redmon Dam along the French Broad River?

grin
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 12/26/22
Originally Posted by BIGR

Looks like your truck is sitting just below the Redmon Dam along the French Broad River?

grin

WTF? I mean WTF?? How in the world did you know that?
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 12/26/22
Hmm
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 12/26/22
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Paul

do Toyota products act like Ruger products around you? wink

My special luck never leaves my side.

grin

Thats that sloping Redmon Bridge in the background.....
laugh
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 12/26/22

grin

laugh

Do you live on Bear Creek Rd?

grin

laugh

No I don't live on Bear Creek Road, but somewhere around SEPT. 1990 or 1991, I camped right there near where your truck is. Fished that river a few times also. I can drive those roads almost blindfolded, back in the day I traveled Little Pine, Pa Paw, all those roads, very familiar with the area. Use to short cut up Bear Creek to SR1001 when I was going to Haywood CO.
Posted By: broomd Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 12/27/22

Merry Christmas all!!

Pics and updates when you get a few miles clocked appreciated!
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 12/27/22
Will do broomd.
Posted By: 270jrk Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 12/27/22
Yes, let us know how it goes. I've got 320k on my 2012 frontier, and it's getting kinda tired. Hoping to squeeze a few more years out of it, then will likely be looking for a newer frontier. I've been very pleased with this truck, hoping the newer generation turns out as well.
Posted By: Raeford Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 12/27/22
99' 239K
ONLY maintenance:
Replaced the distributor and all associated with that[plugs/wires/rotor/d-cap] last year.
My 5th Datsun/Nissan, all have been virtualy the same/same maintenance wise.
This one spent 4 years as a 'bear/hound' truck, which was rough on it.
Now my daily driver.
FYI- I have nothing against Toyota as a Celica-GT and Supra we owned were two of my favorite cars ever.

Posted By: old_willys Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 12/27/22
Two years back I rented a Frontier Pro 4-X Crew Cab for a 10 day hunting trip having a new Colorado ZR2 I wanted to see in my ZR2 was worth the extra $$$$$

To start off I was impressed on how well it ran, and it rode fine had 4x4 Low and locking diff's front and rear similar to my Colorado ZR2.

Things I noticed was ZR2 shifts into 4x4 high and 4x4 low much smoother than the Frontier, the Frontiers locking diff's would not always lock never an issue with the ZR2.

Cab features and comfort was much lower in the Frontier than the ZR2's leather seats, etc but to be fair did ZR2 cost nearly $10k more.

Overall I felt it wasn't a bad truck for the money.
Posted By: TheKid Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 12/27/22
My dad has an 08 I think crew cab 2wd with the auto and bigger six cylinder. It’s his run around beater ride, hail damage rig he got cheap because of the dents. It’s been a good little buggy.

He had to have some fix done to the shift linkage at about 180k that’s apparently a known defect, cost him about $250 at the local transmission shop. An alternator at 200k, $400 bucks and the local starter and alternator guy said they aren’t cost effective to rebuild. And a fuel pump last week at 245k. Otherwise it’s been tires and oil changes. Really not bad considering the mileage and the price of the required repairs.

He’s been scheming on a new one but can’t really justify it since it’s just his bomb around rig. If he does decide to replace the current one I’m sure he’ll be looking at Nissan.
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 12/27/22

grin

laugh

No I don't live on Bear Creek Road, but somewhere around SEPT. 1990 or 1991, I camped right there near where your truck is. Fished that river a few times also. I can drive those roads almost blindfolded, back in the day I traveled Little Pine, Pa Paw, all those roads, very familiar with the area. Use to short cut up Bear Creek to SR1001 when I was going to Haywood CO.

You have one hell of a memory. I live one mile away from that photo location.
Posted By: BIGR Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 12/28/22

grin

laugh

You have one hell of a memory. I live one mile away from that photo location.

I know the area well, for what its worth I am a Native as they say, lived there (Bloody Madison) all my life. Never left the area, wouldn't move anywhere else, this has been paradise, just hoping a bunch of liberal imports don't screw it up. They are moving in by the droves.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 03/09/23
Here's a 5,000 mile update on my 2023 Nissan Frontier. No problems. The ride is smooth and quiet, plenty of leg room. My best mileage is a little over 25 mpg and my towing mileage is around 15 mpg. LED headlamps and fog lights are outstanding which allow for worry free driving at night. I'm taking it in for its first service tomorrow and we'll see if there are any recalls or service notices issued on it. Stay tuned...
Posted By: broomd Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 03/09/23
Here's a 5,000 mile update on my 2023 Nissan Frontier. No problems. The ride is smooth and quiet, plenty of leg room. My best mileage is a little over 25 mpg and my towing mileage is around 15 mpg. LED headlamps and fog lights are outstanding which allow for worry free driving at night. I'm taking it in for its first service tomorrow and we'll see if there are any recalls or service notices issued on it. Stay tuned...
Excellent, post a pic or two if you find the time.
Posted By: Old Ornery Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 03/09/23
I think they are pretty decent, but cost nearly the same ad a Tacoma and dont have as good a resale value, and not sure how good they are on maintenance. But generally not a bad truck.
Posted By: add Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 03/09/23
Five-thousand miles and gonna check for any recalls....

laugh
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 03/09/23
I bought a 23 Frontier Pro4X crew cab at the end of January. Since I've only had it a month or five weeks, there's nothing bad to report. Nice little pickup. Grandkids are getting old enough to ride in the back seats without car seats, so it was time to trade off the '16 King Cab and get a people hauler. My "best mileage" so far has been a computed 26.2 MPG which I do NOT believe in the slightest. Not with 310 HP, anyway.
It rides a lot better than my '16 Frontier, or my wife's RAV4, for that matter. I haven't had to use the 4WD yet, so I can't comment on that. Runs good, got more creature features than I know how to use, and I like it better than the Tacomas.
I'm not responsible for other's feelings or impressions, if you like Toyotas better, more power to you. I've had six Nissans now, and have been happy with all of them. No real issues. Good enough for me.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 03/09/23
Are they using the same V6 in this latest generation as they did in the previous? That engine is known to be an extremely good one. 200K miles is a yawn and many make it to 300K and beyond.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 03/09/23
Are they running the Mercedes 9-speed transmission in frontiers now? Pathfinder got a Zf I think.
Anything but a JATCO.
Posted By: viking Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 03/09/23
I had a 2016 frontier, nice little grocery getter.
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 03/09/23
Nissan makes great trucks.
Posted By: Raeford Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 03/09/23
Nissan makes great trucks.
Originally Posted by add
Five-thousand miles and gonna check for any recalls....

laugh
GFY
grin
Are they using the same V6 in this latest generation as they did in the previous? That engine is known to be an extremely good one. 200K miles is a yawn and many make it to 300K and beyond.
I know it's a 9 speed but am not aware of who made it.
Posted By: GeoW Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 03/10/23
I know it's a 9 speed but am not aware of who made it.

Check it using the VIN as different ones were used.
Posted By: fester Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 03/10/23
Didn’t they change the power plant in those this year?
I know the previous umpteen years they have been solid, transmission too.

I like the updated cabin and tech schitt they have now.

Never understood changing a bullet proof engine, transmission combo……. Head scratcher for me.
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 03/10/23
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Are they running the Mercedes 9-speed transmission in frontiers now? Pathfinder got a Zf I think.
Anything but a JATCO.[/quote

Mercedes designed it, but I don't know who built it. There's a lot of talk about it on clubfrontier.com.

[quote=PaulBarnard]Are they using the same V6 in this latest generation as they did in the previous? That engine is known to be an extremely good one. 200K miles is a yawn and many make it to 300K and beyond.

It's a VQ, like the older engines that were so good, but now it's 3.8 liter, instead of the older 4.0. The new iteration has 50 HP more.
Posted By: Nebraska Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 03/10/23
Anyone driving one? Drove the Pro 4-X Crew Cab this week and was pretty impressed.

Nissan has come a long way but I'd still opt for a Tacoma, Ranger or F150.....
Posted By: Jackson_Handy Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 03/10/23
I've had one frontier, one titan, and five tacomas. I will take the frontier all day over the tacomas and the titan over all of them.
Posted By: Raeford Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 03/10/23
Originally Posted by Nebraska

Nissan has come a long way
but I'd still opt for a Tacoma, Ranger or F150.....

??
After 5 Datsun/Nissan PU's my experience says they've been there all along.
Have around one million miles +/- on the 5 I've owned, never a major repair on any of them.
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 03/10/23
You sound like me, Raeford. I have had 4 Frontiers, I have over 600,000 miles on these trucks. Just unbeatable.
My current model is a 2010 King Cab, 4WD, great truck.
Posted By: centershot Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 03/10/23

Mine's a 2013 w/ 125,000 - no issues. Been thinking about a new one also.
Posted By: 270jrk Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 03/10/23
Have 325k on my 2012. Many miles of rough roads and 4wd. Hoping to get 400k, it's looking likely. Once this one gives up, I'd happily try the new version. Can't imagine being more impressed with another truck than I have this one.
Posted By: 257Bob Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 03/10/23
My FIL has one, crew cab 4x4 and I drove it for a few days last fall and I really liked it (my daily for years was an F150, Silverado now). It's a nice truck, feels very rugged and truck like when driving, MPG was good but I don't remember exactly. The only reason I couldn't drive one daily is it didn't fit me, I'm 6'4" and it was very cramped, not a truck for tall people. Otherwise, I really liked it and would recommend.
Posted By: 257Bob Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 03/10/23
This guy drove his a million miles, Nissan gave him a free truck
https://www.thedrive.com/news/32105...and-new-truck-thats-pretty-much-the-same
Posted By: Tesoro Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 03/10/23
The frontier is the only little truck I fit in. I like them but they just seem so lightweight and tinny incomparison to my full size 4x4. But I guess one gets used to it. heck I drove a 1977 datsun king cab from oregon to belize twice back in the mid 80's. And they are definitely waaay more economical in the long run than my 2014 diesel ram1500. Like waaay with an exclamation mark. If I could pull my 5000lb boat with one I would probably get one, but I cant imagine a 2012 model pulling or stopping that much weight in the mountains.
Posted By: Nebraska Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 03/10/23

That's it. I work for Ford and see trucks getting traded in every day. If I wanted a smaller truck, I'd go Tacoma then Ranger. If I wanted full-size, I'd go F-150 then Tundra.

That's it. I work for Ford and see trucks getting traded in every day. If I wanted a smaller truck, I'd go Tacoma then Ranger. If I wanted full-size, I'd go F-150 then Tundra.

Just hasn't been my experience.
Every Nissan I've owned was traded/sold well into the 200's[76 Datsun excepted] and were still going relatively strong for the age/mileage.
Posted By: Teal Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 03/10/23
Originally Posted by Raeford

Just hasn't been my experience.
Every Nissan I've owned was traded/sold well into the 200's[76 Datsun excepted] and were still going relatively strong for the age/mileage.

To be clear - I wasn't slagging Nissan. I was just saying that the measuring stick of 130k isn't all that impressive these days. When comparing - make sure you're measuring something that matters.
Was in response to NE
Posted By: k22hornet Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 03/10/23
I have a 2019 SV, V6, 4x4 crewcab, with about 48k on it, my first Nissan. Bought it in May, 2020, when it had 22k on it.

With the factory AS tires on it, I averaged about 21 1/2mpg. A few months ago, I changed over to Cooper AT's, and the mileage dropped to about 19.5mpg, but, it walked through a couple of heavy snows like a tank.

So far, not a thing has gone wrong with it.

My only surprise was that it has a large turning radius. My wife's Jeep Liberty will turn circles inside the Nissan, but it's something I have gotten used to.

Good truck, drives nice and it's quiet, and fits me well, I'm 6'1" and 190lbs.

Yes, I'd buy another.
Posted By: JPro Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 03/10/23
Originally Posted by k22hornet
I have a 2019 SV, V6, 4x4 crewcab, with about 48k on it, my first Nissan. Bought it in May, 2020, when it had 22k on it.

With the factory AS tires on it, I averaged about 21 1/2mpg. A few months ago, I changed over to Cooper AT's, and the mileage dropped to about 19.5mpg, but, it walked through a couple of heavy snows like a tank.

My only surprise was that it has a large turning radius. My wife's Jeep Liberty will turn circles inside the Nissan, but it's something I have gotten used to.

Yes, I'd buy another.

Sounds like it is treating you right, but I find the big issue with today's smaller trucks to be the fuel economy versus the full-sized counterparts. I've bounced around from compacts to full-size again and again, and while the initial cash outlay for the compacts is often a fair bit less, the mpg boost never matches what I expect. Today's full-size 4x4 crew cabs can often get 20mpg average with factory tires and a bias toward highway driving. The compacts, with 20-30% less mass, power, and displacement, should be getting 25+mpg average in 4x4 crew cab configuration. Most don't.
Posted By: Teal Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 03/10/23
Originally Posted by JPro
Originally Posted by k22hornet

Yes, I'd buy another.

Sounds like it is treating you right, but I find the big issue with today's smaller trucks to be the fuel economy versus the full-sized counterparts. I've bounced around from compacts to full-size again and again, and while the initial cash outlay for the compacts is often a fair bit less, the mpg boost never matches what I expect. Today's full-size 4x4 crew cabs can often get 20mpg average with factory tires and a bias toward highway driving. The compacts, with 20-30% less mass, power, and displacement, should be getting 25+mpg average in 4x4 crew cab configuration. Most don't.

I'm usually in that 17-19 range but I did get as high as 23 with my Taco V6.

I agree - the mileage isn't what you'd expect. Tho I'd rather a NA v6 and 17mpg than a turbo 4 and 21mpg.

I tend to like the smaller trucks as well because they fit into what I do more. Firelanes, wooded trails chasing grouse etc. I don't need or would use the extra size.
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 03/10/23
My 4WD Frontier gets 21.5 mpg
Posted By: broomd Re: 2023 Nissan Frontier - 04/05/23
What does it take for a guy to get you to post a pic of your new Nissan?
Not bad trucks!
© 24hourcampfire