Home
I'd like to install a system of three or four outdoor security cameras around the place, and I am overwhelmed with all the choices out there. Bewildered, even.

What I want is wireless cameras for starters. I also want local storage of all camera footage and the ability to monitor cameras and footage via smartphone app (and PCs in the house as well if that is possible). I do NOT want a subscription service or monitoring by a third party and I want all data to remain as private as possible. I haven't found a website where systems are compared and the undesired features can be weeded out.

If anyone knows all about this stuff---or even just a good website where I can compare available systems and easily select one that suits my desires, I'd sure appreciate the info.

Happy new year.
Tag…
Tag +2
WTF is Tag?
I'm using cellular cameras on my place in several locations.

Works fine for me. I have mine hooked up to a solar power system, and don't even buy batteries. Instant photos to my phone, plus a hard copy to the SD card.

WiFi cameras just can't be used here because of the distances and limited range of WiFi.
Just a placeholder in a thread. Makes it easy to find again later by just pulling up all the threads you've posted on.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Works fine for me. I have mine hooked up to a solar power system, and don't even buy batteries. Instant photos to my phone, plus a hard copy to the SD card.

WiFi cameras just can't be used here because of the distances and limited range of WiFi.
What kind of cell cams,and what service do u use?
We've had giod luck with ARLO
Blink is working pretty well for us and does all the things you listed. The Missus hit a deal on Amazon and got the doorbell/cam and three more cameras for under 200 bucks.
We use the BLINK cameras and they do a good job. They are motion cameras that do pics or video set to whatever length you want. They send a notice to my phone when they're triggered and I can look at all of them in real time, watch the videos later and also talk through them. We live in an area with high speed internet so they may not work that great depending on what kind of speeds you get.
Arlo system for 6 years here. Works great
I got a cheap POE Reolink 2 camera system with NVR. Around $400.

Went that route because I know zero about security cams but I can run CAT6 and terminate. If I don't like the cheaper cameras the wire will be there for whatever comes later.

As far as I can tell Reolink does not store any data with the use of their app. You don't have to use the app at all. I set mine up to send email alerts. You can use browser to access the NVR for playback.

The cameras will work stand alone without NVR with SD card for storage.

Their documentation sucks. However its not that hard to figure out settings etc.

So far they are working fine. Night time performance is not great but daytime is. I think you would have to spend much more for better nighttime performance. Or maybe a separate IR light....

POE (wired) works for me. Don't know chit about any of the wireless setups.

Good luck
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/17214790/
PTZ...

Originally Posted by Tminc

What kind of cell cams,and what service do u use?

I have Stealthcams and there's both Verizon and AT&T here, but AT&T works better with 2 towers within like 5 miles.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by MARCEL

My brother has those on his house and property. (About an acre)

Not sure how many cameras he runs, but several... I do know he says he spends LOTS of money on batteries for them.
I've gone thru a few of them over the years, all of them cheap brands.

The cameras do OK, but the DVR is what fails - I guess the constant running and looping on the hard drive.
A good PTZ can capture a moving car (AND A PROSECUTABLE LICENSE PLATE) at 200 yards... at night... at 30 miles per hour.
We have a ring door bell and a ring camera. The door bell works really good. The ring camera on the driveway never works. I need to get on a ladder and push the reset button and try to reset. The first camera failed and they had to send me another camera. To trouble shoot it Ring made me stand on a ladder on one foot, jump up and down, then blind fold myself and turn the breaker on and off, then repeat standing on the ladder on one foot and jump up and down before they would believe me it didn’t work.

I need to look at getting some dependable cameras. This is a good post, my guess several of us need cameras.

My wife wants to get hard wired cameras as opposed to WiFi connected. Some of the Wi-Fi cameras have to be taken down every few months and charged. Hard wired are probably more reliable.
Originally Posted by CashisKing
A good PTZ can capture a moving car (AND A PROSECUTABLE LICENSE PLATE) at 200 yards... at night... at 30 miles per hour.

Those cameras I have will capture the license plate if it pulls into my entrance. It sends a low-rez photo to my phone, like the one posted, but you can download the high-rez if you want.
Originally Posted by GringoCazador
We have a ring door bell and a ring camera. The door bell works really good. The ring camera on the driveway never works. I need to get on a ladder and push the reset button and try to reset. The first camera failed and they had to send me another camera. To trouble shoot it Ring made me stand on a ladder on one foot, jump up and down, then blind fold myself and turn the breaker on and off, then repeat standing on the ladder on one foot and jump up and down before they would believe me it didn’t work.

I need to look at getting some dependable cameras. This is a good post, my guess several of us need cameras.

My wife wants to get hard wired cameras as opposed to WiFi connected. Some of the Wi-Fi cameras have to be taken down every few months and charged. Hard wired are probably more reliable.
one thing about the hard wired, I have had a few of the cameras fail due to the wiring going bad, and only a few inches were expose to the elements.

There may be better more durable wiring that what is shipped with the kits, I'm sure there is but the stuff they provide, IMO , doesn't hold up well
I've had the NightOwl system and 6 cameras for 10 years . Operates with my internet connection to monitor from my smartphone & laptop plus it has 1tb of hard drive storage. I have it hooked up to a flat screen TV.
I keep up plain ole game cameras

During the rut especially

Just to see who's in the yard destroying scchidt

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Tag
Reolink on Amazon. Has everything you need
We have 7 blinks, work well
You folks and the Acronyms.

FFS, I worked for various gooberment agencies and it didn't seem this bad.

WTH is a "good PTZ"?

Or a POE? NVR?

The English language we (mostly) speak here in the US of A works real good when spelled out.

Boomer here.
Happy New Year Geno.

I'll just do like I did in high school and skim over the stuff I don't grok and the $10000 systems.
I’ve got Lorex system.
Been solid for few years now
Tag
My son just gave the wife and the Blink home security system. Came w 4 weather proof cameras. Wyfi is required to make them work.

Wife set it up on our cell phones. We can see what’s going on at home just by clicking on a app on the phone screen.

Cameras are true wireless, compact and so far have great video and pics.

Not sure but there might be a 6-7.00 monthly charge if you want pics and video saved for 30 days.

Not sure. I’m a retired LOE, put a bunch of men and women in prison, which I’m sure are getting out. Peice of mind for me.
Tag
Originally Posted by KFWA
Originally Posted by GringoCazador

one thing about the hard wired, I have had a few of the cameras fail due to the wiring going bad, and only a few inches were expose to the elements.

There may be better more durable wiring that what is shipped with the kits, I'm sure there is but the stuff they provide, IMO , doesn't hold up well

I used outdoor boxes for mounting and still used the dry covers on ethernet plugs inside the boxes. Both cameras are either under a porch or the eve.

Were your failed cables on a post outside?

This was one of my concerns when I was planning the install.

I'm going to get a POE Reolink doorbell camera before hot weather. Screw rolling around in a hot attic pulling wire.
the one that failed the most was a run I had underneath the deck to show the back yard.

matter of fact, after the 3rd cable (completely exposed for about 3 feet ) under the deck , I quit using it.

But I have had other cables fail at the connection point in the camera just coming out off the eaves

I buy the cheapest stuff you can get though so I get what I pay for.
Originally Posted by KFWA
the one that failed the most was a run I had underneath the deck to show the back yard.

matter of fact, after the 3rd cable (completely exposed for about 3 feet ) under the deck , I quit using it.

But I have had other cables fail at the connection point in the camera just coming out off the eaves

I buy the cheapest stuff you can get though so I get what I pay for.

Oh yeah.

Conduit, boxes and underground CAT6 for the win!
Originally Posted by RiverRider
I'd like to install a system of three or four outdoor security cameras around the place, and I am overwhelmed with all the choices out there. Bewildered, even.

What I want is wireless cameras for starters. I also want local storage of all camera footage and the ability to monitor cameras and footage via smartphone app (and PCs in the house as well if that is possible). I do NOT want a subscription service or monitoring by a third party and I want all data to remain as private as possible. I haven't found a website where systems are compared and the undesired features can be weeded out.

If anyone knows all about this stuff---or even just a good website where I can compare available systems and easily select one that suits my desires, I'd sure appreciate the info.

Happy new year.

Happy New Year bud! What purpose do you want the cameras to serve? They can serve as a deterrence. They can also give early warning of a possible threat. I will caution you that it is not very likely that LE will be interested in the footage unless it shows evidence of a violent crime. Even then they may not be interested. Investigators in many locations have little time to invest in property crimes anymore.
We have a Nest system. It does a good job and we have a backup generator, so power isn't a problem.
Originally Posted by blanket
We have 7 blinks, work well
I’ve got the blinks as well and but had them within 100’ of the router and they require Wi-Fi. I also have a solar powered driveway alarm that works well. Depending on terrain the will work up to 1/2 mile and can be placed in discrete places.
Hey River, Check out this website . ipcamtalk.com
I've used these for a couple years

ZOSI 8CH 1080P PoE Home Security Camera System Outdoor with 2TB Hard Drvie,H.265+ 8-Channel 5MP NVR Recorder,8pcs 2MP 1080P Outdoor Indoor PoE IP Cameras with 120ft Night Vision,Power Over Ethernet https://a.co/d/iiBWqB9
We used Eufy cameras and doorbell at our old house. Will probably get them for the new place once it's built. No subscription fees and the vids are stored at your house, not the cloud. Get notification on my phone of activity and can view vids on my phone. Can view live vid on my PC. They have mics so you can talk to the person. Or freak out your dog.

All wireless.
I have the old versions of these ones:
https://www.fortresssecuritystore.com/wireless-alarm-system-bundles/camera-system.html

I definitely recommend motion sensing because it's painful to look through hours and hours of footage. I also recommend an alarm system. That way, you can use the cameras to see what's going on if your alarm goes off while you're away. I also like to have indoor cameras when I'm out of town so I can see that everything is okay inside the house(temperature, water leaks, etc.).
We use the Blink 5 camera system. Ours works real good. The 2 lithium batteries last about 2 years. We have had zero problems with ours. I would buy again. It gives you peace of mind, and that is a lot. You can talk through the camera also. We bought a card for $20.00 so there is no monthly fee. I would recommend it for anyone wanting a camera system.
Originally Posted by Valsdad

WTH is a "good PTZ"?

Or a POE? NVR?

The English language we (mostly) speak here in the US of A works real good when spelled out.

Boomer here.

PTZ = Pan, Tilt, Zoom
POE = Power Over Ethernet
NVR = Network Video Recorder

WTH is FFS? 🤓
Originally Posted by MARCEL

My brother has those on his house and property. (About an acre)

Not sure how many cameras he runs, but several... I do know he says he spends LOTS of money on batteries for them.

I bought a solar charger for each camera and have never had an issue (knocks on wood) lol.
Originally Posted by Tide_Change
Originally Posted by Valsdad

WTH is a "good PTZ"?

Or a POE? NVR?

Boomer here.

PTZ = Pan, Tilt, Zoom
POE = Power Over Ethernet
NVR = Network Video Recorder

WTH is FFS? 🤓

For Franks Sake. whistle

thanks Tide, I guess I lost track of this thread.
I miss the 80's
We got 4 Arlo ultra 2 cameras and two bases last year. Went with the ultra 2 to get the 4k resolution. Prior experience with not being able to make out adequate detail on lower resolution cameras lead us to do that. Video not nearly as helpful if person in video isn't clear enough to be identified.

Pretty mixed thoughts at this point. Don't think I'd recommend. Customer support was from India (although used various USA numbers). Seemed sketchy and wasn't able to resolve all issues. Some software issues that ultimately lead to only my wife being able to view and not me. Battery life was much less than advertised also.
© 24hourcampfire