Home
Posted By: RockyRaab RIP 3G - 01/02/23
Verizon - the last major carrier still supporting 3G phones - has pulled the plug. If you are still using one, you are now officially SOL. Service ended Dec 31st. LINK
Posted By: Seafire Re: RIP 3G - 01/02/23
planned obsolescence....

easier for the government and big business to track us better with....
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: RIP 3G - 01/02/23
You could say the same thing about phone booths or typewriters.
Posted By: OldHat Re: RIP 3G - 01/02/23
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Phone booths and typewriters would be very useful items if the tech world did not lie and say they were obsolete. Typewriters do not require power and phone booths don't get lost, fall in the toilet or track your every habit.
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: RIP 3G - 01/02/23
I had a 3G phone, I had to switch over to 5G last summer. I am with Verizon. I still have the flip phone.
My 3G Verizon phone had to be replaced with a 4G some two years ago. I was able to use my wife's old Samsung S5. It's pretty old and creaky, but it serves as my emergency phone just fine. I'll hold out getting something newer until they phase out 4G, I hope.
Posted By: slumlord Re: RIP 3G - 01/02/23
To the last 200 people in the USA who still had 3-G

LOL

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: GAGoober Re: RIP 3G - 01/02/23
What about Dial Up?
Posted By: Squidge Re: RIP 3G - 01/02/23
What cars are affected? Car and Driver
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: RIP 3G - 01/02/23
Originally Posted by OldHat
Phone booths and typewriters would be very useful items if the tech world did not lie and say they were obsolete. Typewriters do not require power and phone booths don't get lost, fall in the toilet or track your every habit.

Happy camper rube…..
Posted By: GAGoober Re: RIP 3G - 01/02/23
Originally Posted by Squidge
One more advantage to having a 2004 Tacoma
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: RIP 3G - 01/02/23
Last phone bill from Verizon was middle of December showing they owed me 79cts. I didn't upgrade my home phone. I use my cell for everything...mb
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: RIP 3G - 01/02/23

Still have a box of carbon paper around here somewhere.
Posted By: Seafire Re: RIP 3G - 01/02/23
Originally Posted by slumlord

LOL

Maybe they don't need a phone, that the companies can convince all the other people they need a "SMART PHONE" because they are really stupid in reality....

My phone they have canceled, I've used an it worked just fine for 16 plus years. and yeah it is a flip phone...

guess some people are Smart Enough on their own.. that they don't need a "SMART" PHONE.

Yeah I went into a mini mart to get something to drink last week.. there were 5 other people in there, just standing around doing nothing, but having their "SMART" phone in their face, and pushing buttons... like some sort of Zombie... yeah our society needs more of that...

they ought to call them a dumbass phone instead.
Seafire, you live in Oregon. Land of Voting Dumbasses.
Posted By: antelope_sniper Re: RIP 3G - 01/02/23
Originally Posted by Seafire

LOL

Maybe they don't need a phone, that the companies can convince all the other people they need a "SMART PHONE" because they are really stupid in reality....

My phone they have canceled, I've used an it worked just fine for 16 plus years. and yeah it is a flip phone...

guess some people are Smart Enough on their own.. that they don't need a "SMART" PHONE.

Yeah I went into a mini mart to get something to drink last week.. there were 5 other people in there, just standing around doing nothing, but having their "SMART" phone in their face, and pushing buttons... like some sort of Zombie... yeah our society needs more of that...

A phone is just a tool. It makes the user neither smart nor dumb, good nor evil.
Just like a gun, it doesn't change a persons personality, just amplifies it.

If you can't figure out how to be responsible with a smart phone, that's a you problem

Of course, if you really love your 3g phone, and are willing to pay all the marginal per user costs of maintaining a 3g network, we could do that for you, but your bill would be about 10K per month.
Posted By: hillestadj Re: RIP 3G - 01/02/23
Originally Posted by Seafire

LOL

If you don't want to partake in the technology then don't. Don't expect the provider to limp your old ass through supporting obsolete tech to appease you.

What about 5G/smart phone capability are you opposed to, specifically? Or is it the fact you have to replace a phone after 16 years? Oh the humanity!!!

More likely you just like to bitch about something, anything. Stick with a land line or better yet Pony Express. Worked forever right?
Posted By: Stophel Re: RIP 3G - 01/02/23
My 3G phone service quit a year or so ago. I have a 4G phone now. Will probably be the last cell phone I have. 5G can suck it. I'm just about done with cell phones anyway.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: RIP 3G - 01/02/23

Or bend over to pull the starter rope on your kicker outboard and the phone falls into the lake out of your shirt pocket.

Ask me how I know.
Posted By: Dutch Re: RIP 3G - 01/03/23
There are lots of places around here where we could climb a hill and get service back in the analog days. No more. There were quite a few places where you had 3G, but no 4G. Gone, too.

Speed ain’t worth dick if you don’t get a signal.
Posted By: ironbender Re: RIP 3G - 01/03/23
LMAO
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: RIP 3G - 01/03/23
Originally Posted by tjm10025

Still have a box of carbon paper around here somewhere.

Still use it at work, to copy hand written product data.

Had to get more Gs 2 years ago.
Tracphone tried to get me to buy a phone, I stalled. When they shut me off, I called.
They gave me several free choices, only 1 Flipper. A stupid smart flip phone!
2nd time this has happened. Flip phone equipped until they decide I need more Gs
again.

More Gs such.
Great for those hooked to the phones.
It sucks for those who want a phone and live in places that don't have good coverage.
As capacity expands, range contracts.
Posted By: PJGunner Re: RIP 3G - 01/03/23
Sprint just sent me a new phone and getting it to work has not been fun. Supposed to slide this tray and install a sim card, whatever in the hell that meads and the damn card is just slightly too big and too thick to fit. Biggest problem is all my kids live out of state so no help there. I'm about ready yo tell Sprint/T-mobile to stack that phone where the sun don't shine.
PJ
Posted By: EdM Re: RIP 3G - 01/03/23
So when I retired in 2015 I bought a new iPhone and MacBook Air. I had never personally owned an Apple product. Smooth sailing since. I see my phone go 5G when available. What am I missing?
© 24hourcampfire