Home
Posted By: Okanagan Stealing tips - 01/02/23
My grandson is engaged to a girl who waitresses in a nice restaurant. For fun a couple of nights ago he left her a big tip--- and somebody stole it.

The clientele is mostly upscale retired boomers, from a community of mostly the same with some loggers and solid blue collar people. I was kind of shocked by the theft. He didn’t say but I think he left her $100. They don’t know if the place is all videoed, but are going to ask the manager about it.

I’d never heard of tips being stolen but the girl says that it is fairly common. I’m going to be a lot more careful about leaving tips on the table from now on.
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Stealing tips - 01/02/23
Likely by another of the waitstaff. Busboy perhaps?
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Stealing tips - 01/02/23
Two nights ago I gave a $ $26 tip on a check of $114. One Ben Franklin and two twenties. I handed the bill and cash straight to the waitress.

I'm assuming it was a fellow waitress who stole your grandson's tip.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Stealing tips - 01/02/23
I was at a nice place, and though some of changing tips with another table, but that would have been stealing from the other folks.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Stealing tips - 01/02/23
I always put the tip in my wait person’s hand.

Especially at my mexican dive. That place is fulla shîtbirds and shady dirtbags like blackheart and other white trash.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Stealing tips - 01/02/23
That is exactly why I never leave a cash tip, only CC. I've observed customers slyly scooping up tips from other tables on their way out, also. Leaving a Benjamin behind is just asking for it to be stolen.
Posted By: Okanagan Re: Stealing tips - 01/02/23
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter

My thought as well. She said that they have fired one waitress and one busboy in the past year for stealing tips.
Posted By: ribka Re: Stealing tips - 01/02/23
Originally Posted by slumlord

Especially at my mexican dive. That place is fulla shîtbirds and shady dirtbags like blackheart and other white trash.

truf
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Stealing tips - 01/02/23
Okanagan;
Good morning my friend, I trust that you and your wonderful family are well and had a blessed Christmas and New Year thus far.

Well other than the tip being purloined that is.

We've got a couple nieces who were servers and then managers of eating and drinking establishments, our youngest daughter was a server for one summer during university and then my wife helped do the books for a local restaurant that was "the hot spot" in Penticton for a wee bit. It was one of her boss' sons who ran it out of a building they owned so it fell under the umbrella of things she "took care of" financially speaking for them.

All that to say then, it's not an industry I'd encourage anyone to stay in any longer than absolutely necessary. Yes of course its not entirely populated with people who are entirely bad or anything of the sort, but they do have their fair share of less than desirable incidents, theft of tips being one of the better things honestly.

For sure though if you want the tip to go to an individual, then hand them cash. If you want the tip to be distributed among the bus, kitchen and wait staff, put it on the credit card - as a general rule.

All the very best to you all in 2023.

Dwayne
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Stealing tips - 01/02/23
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
That is exactly why I never leave a cash tip, only CC. I've observed customers slyly scooping up tips from other tables on their way out, also. Leaving a Benjamin behind is just asking for it to be stolen.

I have two daughters who are servers. They get to keep cash tips, CC tips get split between cooks, dishwashers, and servers.
Posted By: hasbeen1945 Re: Stealing tips - 01/02/23
Only sure way to make sure your server gets it. You put the cash in their hand. Hasbeen
Posted By: P_Weed Re: Stealing tips - 01/02/23

- I can see why you eat there.
Posted By: Kenneth Re: Stealing tips - 01/02/23
Your grandson left a hundred cash on a table unattended in a restaurant?

That’s called a life lesson.

Cash, tips, food joints, splits, never ending struggle to keep things fair and honest,

Never has been never will be.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Stealing tips - 01/02/23
That's why I don't mind if my generous CC tips get shared; they ALL helped in serving me, one way or another.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Stealing tips - 01/02/23
After half a lifetime managing and owning restaurants, I have seen the good, the bad and the ugly. I myself tip well, in cash, and put it only in the hand of my server.
Posted By: DaveinWV Re: Stealing tips - 01/02/23
I know of an incident where a friend witnessed the theft of tips. The friend offered to break the thief's arm if he didn't put the money back. The thief complied.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Stealing tips - 01/02/23
P Weed: That was a great cut on the well deserving scumwad!
Keep'em coming!
He-he.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: Heym06 Re: Stealing tips - 01/02/23
Did you call the thieving customer, on the theft. Or just ignore it ?
Posted By: Cecil56 Re: Stealing tips - 01/02/23
I worked as a busboy age 14-16 at a busy place along interstate.

More than a few times, the waitress would ask me if I saw any tips. Pretty much accusing me of stealing in a nice way. I never stole a nickel. Even had one check the tub after picking up the dirty dishes, to make sure I did not wipe up the change! LOL

Some could not accept the fact, they either did poor service, or had a tight wad customer.
Posted By: efw Re: Stealing tips - 01/02/23
Yep
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Stealing tips - 01/02/23
I would never steal the tip, but once in awhile I will scoop it up and put it where I was sitting. The tip remains the same but that way I can get the credit for it…
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Stealing tips - 01/02/23
Okanogan: I doubt very seriously it was a "Boomer" tip thief - MUCH more likely a co-worker (busboy, drug influenced co-waitress etc etc etc) or observant opportunist customer!
Be sure and let us know what the video confirms.
Sorry the sons holiday surprise was spoil't!
I always make sure the waitress gets handed the bill - the money for the bill and the tip.
NEVER leave money out ANYWHERE in this day and age where it can simply be "picked up and walked away with"!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
I'd not though about the tip being stolen, I'll try to remember this.
Posted By: WMR Re: Stealing tips - 01/02/23
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I was at a nice place, and though some of changing tips with another table, but that would have been stealing from the other folks.

You devil , you! It’s always the quiet ones.
We were at the Riverview Lodge in Dryden, Ontario. Everything was good, I wanted to leave a fair tip, the table next to had a paper bill, I knew a five is the smallest bill Canada has.
We both tipped five bucks. laugh
Posted By: Dave_Spn Re: Stealing tips - 01/02/23
I only tip in cash and I only give said cash to the person I wish to tip.
Posted By: MPat70 Re: Stealing tips - 01/02/23
I make it a habit of giving my tip directly to the waitress. Every waitress that i have gotten to know all talk about tips being stolen.
Posted By: Windfall Re: Stealing tips - 01/02/23
It was the tipper herself that I watched a week or so back. An elderly mother and daughter had finished their meal and the daughter made a show of getting the tip and put it on the table. The older woman took out her credit card and headed for the cashier and as soon as her back was turned, zip, the daughter scooped up the tip money and put it back into her purse! That one took "I'll get the tip" very literally.
Posted By: tndrbstr Re: Stealing tips - 01/02/23
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I'd not though about the tip being stolen, I'll try to remember this.
Not to worry Wabi, a coffe cup will still cover three quarters laugh
laugh
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Stealing tips - 01/02/23
Exactly the same happened to us.
Wife and I ate at the place out daughter worked, I left a decent tip for her.
She had told us not too. Didn't feel we should tip her.

When she didn't mention it for a couple days, I ask. Someone stole it.

Maybe a 10th of the OP, but a good lesson for her.
She learned to cruise past the table if someone was getting up.
She bussed her own tables so it was a waitress or customer.
Posted By: Tide_Change Re: Stealing tips - 01/02/23
Tell the grandson, next time show up at her house wearing a Speedo and a black clip-on bow tie with the Hondo tucked into the waistband.
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: Stealing tips - 01/02/23
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi

I have two daughters who are servers. They get to keep cash tips, CC tips get split between cooks, dishwashers, and servers.

They keep the cash tips without reporting them? Good for them.

God forbid the cooks and dishwashers get a bump

I usually put it on the card for just this reason.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Stealing tips - 01/02/23
Originally Posted by efw
Yep

^^^This^^^
Posted By: tndrbstr Re: Stealing tips - 01/02/23
Originally Posted by Windfall
It was the tipper herself that I watched a week or so back. An elderly mother and daughter had finished their meal and the daughter made a show of getting the tip and put it on the table. The older woman took out her credit card and headed for the cashier and as soon as her back was turned, zip, the daughter scooped up the tip money and put it back into her purse! That one took "I'll get the tip" very literally.
Why doesn’t that surprise me… theft just the same
Posted By: losttrail60 Re: Stealing tips - 01/02/23
Boomers steal all the time.

Home Depot and Walmart self checkout.

Some steal gloves out of packages that get delivered to them by mistake.

Boomers stealing tips wouldn’t surprise me.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Stealing tips - 01/02/23

Yep.

Never feel good about leaving cash on the table.
Posted By: Traveler52 Re: Stealing tips - 01/02/23
Tip in cash if you want the staff to see it.
My sister inlaw worked for a real A hole out in the San Joaquin Delta. If the tip went on CC they never saw it.
The place burned down a couple yeas ago
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Stealing tips - 01/02/23
Originally Posted by shrapnel
I would never steal the tip, but once in awhile I will scoop it up and put it where I was sitting. The tip remains the same but that way I can get the credit for it…

Well, you may get credit from the server, but by not magnanimously, yet casually, tossing a wad of bills onto the table you miss out on the impression you make on your companions and anyone else who may be watching, which is the whole point anyway. wink
Posted By: 16penny Re: Stealing tips - 01/02/23
Buddies wife helps her parents out at a greasy spoon. One server was boosting the tip money she marked a bill and left it on a table later confronts the thief and after adamantly denying it was asked to show her wad and fessed up after getting busted with the evidence
Whole issue would be moot if eating establishments just paid their own employees.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Stealing tips - 01/02/23
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Whole issue would be moot if eating establishments just paid their own employees.

I guess I have asked myself this for many years. But it is one of those "Don't ask why" situations, because I never got a tip when I guided fishing or hunting, expecting it to be part of my daily wage...
Posted By: Seven_Heaven Re: Stealing tips - 01/02/23
I once had wait staff steal tips from me!

A local restaurant was going out of business as the owner was retiring. It was a good place that I had been to many times and hated to see it close.

Had dinner there on the last day of business, paid with a card and added a tip of $8.00 to the card.

Two weeks later I discovered that the waitress had changed the tip to $28.00.

Taught me to wear my reading glasses and write a bit neater in the future.

Could have disputed it but chalked it up to a learning experience.
Posted By: High_Noon Re: Stealing tips - 01/02/23
More likely there's a:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by High_Noon
More likely there's a:

LMAO !
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Stealing tips - 01/02/23

Likely a Dimocrap. whistle
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Stealing tips - 01/02/23
More likely there's a:

Hey, the truth is racist, you know.
Originally Posted by jaguartx
More likely there's a:

Hey, the truth is racist, you know.

Lots of folks on the Fire must have one of those, as evidenced by recent threads. 😂😂😂
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Stealing tips - 01/02/23

This, I hand it right to the server or put it on the credit card.
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Stealing tips - 01/02/23
I worked as a busboy at some high end restaurants in Atlanta when I was in college. Most tips were in cash, and the waiter/waitress got half, and the cook got 25 percent and the busboy got 25 percent. I made some pretty good money, plus got a free meal every day. Plus lots of girls work at restaurants, some of these girls are lonely!

Money, food, and chicks, what more does a college boy need. I don't remember any problem with tips being stolen.
Posted By: ldholton Re: Stealing tips - 01/02/23
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
Only sure way to make sure your server gets it. You put the cash in their hand. Hasbeen
this ... and I hate places that they make the tip split with the cooks and everybody else. I hate even worse places that just figure the tip on your bill if you play with a credit / debit card without even asking
More likely there's a:

Anyone remember W.C. Fields's expression for that?
Posted By: dale06 Re: Stealing tips - 01/02/23
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I worked as a busboy at some high end restaurants in Atlanta when I was in college. Most tips were in cash, and the waiter/waitress got half, and the cook got 25 percent and the busboy got 25 percent. I made some pretty good money, plus got a free meal every day. Plus lots of girls work at restaurants, some of these girls are lonely!

Money, food, and chicks, what more does a college boy need. I don't remember any problem with tips being stolen.

Exact same experience when I was in college, except as busboy, I received 15% of the waitresses tips, always cash. And the food was free and the girls……
It was a good gig.
Posted By: mirage243 Re: Stealing tips - 01/02/23
More likely there's a:

Always Outdoors knows a lot about this. 🤣
Posted By: chris_c Re: Stealing tips - 01/02/23
I tip well in cash, and it is in the server's hand before I leave
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Stealing tips - 01/02/23
Well hell, I thought this thread was gonna teach me how to steal better.
Posted By: hanco Re: Stealing tips - 01/03/23
It was schickenshit, whoever took it
Posted By: losttrail60 Re: Stealing tips - 01/03/23
Originally Posted by Seven_Heaven

A local restaurant was going out of business as the owner was retiring. It was a good place that I had been to many times and hated to see it close.

Had dinner there on the last day of business, paid with a card and added a tip of $8.00 to the card.

Not sure how this could happen. The server can change the tip amount but how do they change the total anmount at the bottom of the cc signed receipt?

Smells like BS to me.
Posted By: Raferman Re: Stealing tips - 01/03/23
Originally Posted by losttrail60
Originally Posted by Seven_Heaven

Not sure how this could happen. The server can change the tip amount but how do they change the total anmount at the bottom of the cc signed receipt?

Smells like BS to me.
So do handle changing liberals.
Posted By: MallardAddict Re: Stealing tips - 01/03/23
I tend to tip on my card to be split between the staff and add a little cash to the waitresses hand as well.

On Christmas eve we didn’t feel like cooking so we went to a local restaraunt we got to fairly often. The only waitress was an older gal in her 50’s that we know well and she dotes on my 7 yo son. The bill got a nice 30% tip on the card and she was handed a $100 bill and told it was a gift for her alone.

No way in hell I was leaving a $100 bill on the table
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Stealing tips - 01/04/23
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi

They keep the cash tips without reporting them? Good for them.

God forbid the cooks and dishwashers get a bump

I usually put it on the card for just this reason.

Daddy Guberment requires the bill be attached to the server.
The note pads are serial numbered and assigned, digital orders are linked by ID#.

The employer keeps track of sales by waiter, and 8% is required to be reported as tips.

$100 in sales? $8 in tips required.
Reported and taxed on it. The burden for that is on the employer.

If someone stiffs a waitress or she just sucks, gets no tip?
She not only gets no money, she pays taxes on 8% of the bill even
though she got nothing.

Waitresses who don't tip share very much appreciate cash payment and tip.
If you do both on a card, she pays taxes on every cent of the tip.

Hate tipping, always have. Can't fire them,the rate has went from 10 to 20%+
It's become such a thing many folks tip upwards of 20 standard.

When my daughter started waitresses at 16 in the family diner/restaurant, my
eyes got opened. Only paid $3 something plus tips.
She would work 4 1/2 hours after school and bring home $70-$150.
Her boses calculated 😉 her tips from receipts.
Her hourly paycheck covered the taxes and she would clear $30-$40 every
two weeks.

Just a kid, part time, cheap restaurant.
That wasn't bad money at all.
© 24hourcampfire