Home
I'll start.

That was the car I liked.

I didn't like the black interceptor as well.
Deliverance
Originally Posted by slumlord
Deliverance

Whole lotta shaping done in them woods
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Originally Posted by slumlord
Deliverance

Jeremiah Johnson----"You skin Grizz?"
Childhood----I was in college----Decided to more to the Rocky Mtns.
The movie that made me decide to join the USN.
Originally Posted by MAC

My man, thank you for the response. I'm still trying to figure out, based on your clip, if the point involved only the random slaughter of innocent natives or the intentional mass torching of indigenous domiciles. Or both. Help me out on this one, please.

AND

Make it worth it…..

Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Sweet car for sure.

It's just too cool for school when he idles out onto the highway in the first scene.
I patterned my life after Pepper Lewis in “The Cowboy Way”.

If you haven’t seen it, don’t cheat yourself!
War of the Worlds: 1955

No particular scene, the whole thing.
[quote=Jim_Conrad

Sweet car for sure.

It's just too cool for school when he idles out onto the highway in the first scene.[/quote]

WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB EEEEEEIIIIIIIIIAHHHHHH! Fugking posi traction, man. Get after it.

IIRC I would have been 11 yrs old when I first saw this.

Downtown Houston, Tx at one of the movie-houses of the period.

ya!

GWB
Originally Posted by geedubya

ya!

GWB

Best movie ever.
The first 30 minutes of FMJ
I think deflave sucked up Roots and To Kill A Mockingbird and Guess Who's Coming To Dinner.
Originally Posted by DaveinWV

Underrated flick.
Debbie Does Dallas
Originally Posted by MAC

My man, thank you for the response. I'm still trying to figure out, based on your clip, if the point involved only the random slaughter of innocent natives or the intentional mass torching of indigenous domiciles. Or both. Help me out on this one, please.

It was about men having to depend on each other when all the odds were against them. If you watch the entire movie it is about a USN gun boat in China when the Boxer Rebellion broke out. They were basically cut off and having to go it all alone. This scene was not about "innocent civilians" it was about competing sides. The ship was on a rescue mission and the junks were cabled together to prevent that.
It could happen

I hated moths for ages after this one:

I started surfing in 1963. From 1965 when I could drive until 1976 my life revolved around surfing. Even took off in the middle of a semester and went to San Blas Mexico for a month. Back in '71 all the "Profs" were anti Vietnam war, so I did not even get dropped from classes.

Padre Island, Port Isabel, California (San Diego to Malibu), San Blas, Mazatlan, Puerto Esondido

ya!

GWB
Originally Posted by Higginez
A very underrated movie. Rod Taylor is generally underrated, too.
Originally Posted by Steve

ya!

GWB

Best movie ever.

one of the best for sure
I started surfing in 1963. From 1965 when I could drive until 1976 my life revolved around surfing.

Padre Island, Port Isabel, California (San Diego to Malibu), San Blas, Mazatlan, Puerto Esondido

ya!

GWB

gw, you see that thread I started last night about the recent surfing in SoCal.

Epic.
Originally Posted by MAC
Originally Posted by MAC

It was about men having to depend on each other when all the odds were against them. If you watch the entire movie it is about a USN gun boat in China when the Boxer Rebellion broke out. They were basically cut off and having to go it all alone. This scene was not about "innocent civilians" it was about competing sides. The ship was on a rescue mission and the junks were cabled together to prevent that.
^ ^ ^

Correct.
Originally Posted by Valsdad
I started surfing in 1963. From 1965 when I could drive until 1976 my life revolved around surfing.

ya!

GWB

gw, you see that thread I started last night about the recent surfing in SoCal.

Epic.

Yes Sir.

Kinda reminds me of my "Escondido" trip in '75. While there a Pacific Coast hurricane hit PE. Biggest waves I ever surfed. Got too big for this critter.

One of my favorite trips, and not just for the waves!

ya!

GWB
Cool bean GW
Didn't like going into the fog or clouds much after seeing this one as little guy too. Especially those low clouds that just sort of moved in slowly at ground level.

I started surfing in 1963. From 1965 when I could drive until 1976 my life revolved around surfing. Even took off in the middle of a semester and went to San Blas Mexico for a month. Back in '71 all the "Profs" were anti Vietnam war, so I did not even get dropped from classes.

ya!

GWB

so jealous

I spent a few years in the mid 80's surfing in California in Santa Cruz, Monterey

would have loved to have experienced the heydays!!!!!!
This movie captured my imagination at an early age.
Not the most historically accurate, but Duke and The Old Man taught me the rules that I’ve tried to follow all my life.
7mm

Originally Posted by ribka
I spent a few years in the mid 80's surfing in California in Santa Cruz, Monterey

would have loved to have experienced the heydays!!!!!!

The Caster I took to Escondido in '75.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I still have it.

I had a bud that had a beach house at "Sea Isle" on Galveston Island. Left Sam Houston State in May of 75' and headed there. We painted beach houses for two months and made about $600 each, IIRC. I found that board at a local shop and bought it. Took $200 with me and stayed a month in PE. We drove to Piedras Negras and caught a flight to Acapulco. Had a 12 hour lay over so we did some mushrooms we had brought with us, got in a fight with some locals but made it to the bus to Escondido. A couple of days after I got to PE, I met a chick who called herself "Shanghai Lil". IIRC I had come in after a set and she came up to me and told me that she was a contestant in the "Miss Nude World" Contest and that she was there to get an "all over" tan. Said, the "Beaners" would not leave her alone, and would I accompany her. Duh'.

ya!

GWB
Sitting around the fire bullchitttting with GW is priceless, absolutely priceless. This with his gallon of Gallo red wine...
Originally Posted by EdM
Sitting around the fire bullchitttting with GW is priceless, absolutely priceless. This with his gallon of Gallo red wine...

10-4.
That board looks so cool I'd probably give it a try even at my advanced age.

Looks to weigh about half my late 60's model 9'6"

ya!

GWB

Saw it with my dad when it came out. He was a history major.
And in the military
Probably watched it with him 30-40 times.

Spielberg was going to be a doctor till he saw the film. Then wanted to direct.

Great. Film.
This final scene never really happened in the actual event, IIRC the Zulus on set requested it, so at least the singing is real.

Different time and place, I woulda been seven, us little lads from our street had to walk like what felt like clear across Blackpool to go see it.

Originally Posted by MarkWV
Make it worth it…..

I was walking along Omaha Beach with my bicycle July of 2016, I got into a conversation with an old French guy, told him I had come to see the invasion beaches. “No, not invasion”, he said, “liberation”.

The French keep that cemetery immaculate, really something to see.
Larger rewards require larger efforts.

We watched Jeremiah Johnson at the theater in January 1973, in Atlanta. I was a suburban boy and I wanted to be like Jeremiah Johnson!

My buddy and I traveled to British Columbia that summer, rented three horses, so that we had one pack horse, and spent the summer riding in the wilderness and camping out like Jeremiah Johnson.

Fortunately there were no Crow Indians trying to kill us.
Hard to say influence but there are some scenes that definitely had me thinking or I've repeated time and again...

Musically -

Always LOVED this flick -

I can understand the desire to be left alone.

Originally Posted by Hastings
Debbie Does Dallas

Pitching or catching?
John Wayne as fighter pilot. Just knew I had to do that.
Thinking back, Smokey and the Bandit, Hatari and a couple of others
The shower scene in "Porkys". Careful where you stick that thing. Good lesson there.
"ON ANY SUNDAY", from Bruce Brown, the same guy that directed "ENDLESS SUMMER"...at about 1:13, the movie starts covering "Trials Riding"...the opening wheelie shot..."The kid couldn't believe it, but there was nobody to tell!" I was 13 had my Honda 125 Scrambler and I was determined to get to where I could ride a wheelie as long as I wanted...second visit to the family doctor for stitches in 2 weeks put an end to motorcycle riding until I moved out of my parents house...and my mom paid cash, to the nurse, and got the "carbon strip" receipts...that she kept for years...to remind me that doing "dumb stuff" costs MONEY !!!
I got nothing except Jaws made me scared of seaweed.
The scene where Del Gue is talking to Jerimiah Johnson about the Rocky mountains.Made me want to be a mountain man in the worst way possible.The dying scene in The Cowboys always gets my eyes watering.
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
We watched Jeremiah Johnson at the theater in January 1973, in Atlanta. I was a suburban boy and I wanted to be like Jeremiah Johnson!

My buddy and I traveled to British Columbia that summer, rented three horses, so that we had one pack horse, and spent the summer riding in the wilderness and camping out like Jeremiah Johnson.

Fortunately there were no Crow Indians trying to kill us.

From the time I was a wee yonker I had a fascination for books about the different Indians/mountain men and anything pertaining to the west. IIRC I first read a book Titled "Liver-eating Johnson when I was 11 or 12.

https://allthatsinteresting.com/liver-eating-johnson

He and Lewis Wetzel (Death Wind) were bad hombres.

https://mariettaohio.org/lewis-wetzel-frontier-hero-the-legend-and-the-dark-side/

ya!

GWB
Judging from what has been happening to my body the last decade...I think I can blame it on Sling Blade...Karl says, "I think I'll have some of them french fried potaters".
The microphone under the bed scene from the movie Mash.
Did that to my roommate my junior year at college...ran the speaker wires through the wall into the next dorm room where a bunch of us were drinking beer and laughing our asses off listening to my roommate shag one of his MANY girlfriends.
Ahh, those were the days
As A 6 year old , i watched Godzila one night while at our family cabin on a lake. Watching Godzila come out of Tokyo bay had me up all night . I was sure we were all going to have to run from water to stay alive.

ya!

GWB

I saw that as a child in the 70s upon the insistence of Wee Muther. I was super impressed and for many years considered him something of an idol. What a badass, I thought. And he was that, for sure. Amazing courage, sense of duty, commitment and had numerous stunning accomplishments under his belt.

Speaking of 'under his belt', ahem, some years ago, I read the biography 'Hero', by Michael Korda, detailing Lawrence's life. I learned that amongst Lawrence's many proclivities, he was a non-repentant and raging homosexual. As much as I might try to be sort of, kind of inclusive, I just can't get OK with looking up to a screaming phagg-ot, despite his pretty incredible track record. Sorry.
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
John Wayne as fighter pilot. Just knew I had to do that.

Pretty cool. I wonder if any decided they wanted to become Green Berets after seeing JW in 'The Green Berets'.

So solly, Peter-san. frown

Originally Posted by MAC

OK, thanks for the explanation. I didn't get all that from the clip.
Saw this in the theater when it was released. I was around 11 at the time. My family got some, well, unfriendly comments and looks walking out to the parking lot that night. I wonder if they'd known that my old man and his work was directly involved in, and really, the driving force behind the technology that saw the killing of innumerable NVA and VC in the war, they'd have acted differently. Who knows? Most people I meet these days are significantly and painfully ignorant about *everything*.

Ignorance is bliss? Nah, man. Let the culling begin.

Gee. Not many people know about Wetzel, the man they called the Deathwind.
© 24hourcampfire