Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Thinking back, Smokey and the Bandit, Hatari and a couple of others

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
The shower scene in "Porkys". Careful where you stick that thing. Good lesson there.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
"ON ANY SUNDAY", from Bruce Brown, the same guy that directed "ENDLESS SUMMER"...at about 1:13, the movie starts covering "Trials Riding"...the opening wheelie shot..."The kid couldn't believe it, but there was nobody to tell!" I was 13 had my Honda 125 Scrambler and I was determined to get to where I could ride a wheelie as long as I wanted...second visit to the family doctor for stitches in 2 weeks put an end to motorcycle riding until I moved out of my parents house...and my mom paid cash, to the nurse, and got the "carbon strip" receipts...that she kept for years...to remind me that doing "dumb stuff" costs MONEY !!!

Dedicated Master of the Western Influenced Martial Art known simply as "KLIK PAO" !!!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I got nothing except Jaws made me scared of seaweed.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
The scene where Del Gue is talking to Jerimiah Johnson about the Rocky mountains.Made me want to be a mountain man in the worst way possible.The dying scene in The Cowboys always gets my eyes watering.

" It ain't dead.As long as there's one cowboy taking care of one cow,it ain't dead ! "
Monte Walsh
IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
We watched Jeremiah Johnson at the theater in January 1973, in Atlanta. I was a suburban boy and I wanted to be like Jeremiah Johnson!

My buddy and I traveled to British Columbia that summer, rented three horses, so that we had one pack horse, and spent the summer riding in the wilderness and camping out like Jeremiah Johnson.

Fortunately there were no Crow Indians trying to kill us.

From the time I was a wee yonker I had a fascination for books about the different Indians/mountain men and anything pertaining to the west. IIRC I first read a book Titled "Liver-eating Johnson when I was 11 or 12.

https://allthatsinteresting.com/liver-eating-johnson

He and Lewis Wetzel (Death Wind) were bad hombres.

https://mariettaohio.org/lewis-wetzel-frontier-hero-the-legend-and-the-dark-side/

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 01/16/23.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Judging from what has been happening to my body the last decade...I think I can blame it on Sling Blade...Karl says, "I think I'll have some of them french fried potaters".

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The microphone under the bed scene from the movie Mash.
Did that to my roommate my junior year at college...ran the speaker wires through the wall into the next dorm room where a bunch of us were drinking beer and laughing our asses off listening to my roommate shag one of his MANY girlfriends.
Ahh, those were the days

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G

IC B3

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
As A 6 year old , i watched Godzila one night while at our family cabin on a lake. Watching Godzila come out of Tokyo bay had me up all night . I was sure we were all going to have to run from water to stay alive.

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by geedubya

IIRC I would have been 11 yrs old when I first saw this.

Downtown Houston, Tx at one of the movie-houses of the period.

ya!

GWB

I saw that as a child in the 70s upon the insistence of Wee Muther. I was super impressed and for many years considered him something of an idol. What a badass, I thought. And he was that, for sure. Amazing courage, sense of duty, commitment and had numerous stunning accomplishments under his belt.

Speaking of 'under his belt', ahem, some years ago, I read the biography 'Hero', by Michael Korda, detailing Lawrence's life. I learned that amongst Lawrence's many proclivities, he was a non-repentant and raging homosexual. As much as I might try to be sort of, kind of inclusive, I just can't get OK with looking up to a screaming phagg-ot, despite his pretty incredible track record. Sorry.

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
John Wayne as fighter pilot. Just knew I had to do that.

Pretty cool. I wonder if any decided they wanted to become Green Berets after seeing JW in 'The Green Berets'.

So solly, Peter-san. frown

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by MAC
It was about men having to depend on each other when all the odds were against them. If you watch the entire movie it is about a USN gun boat in China when the Boxer Rebellion broke out. They were basically cut off and having to go it all alone. This scene was not about "innocent civilians" it was about competing sides. The ship was on a rescue mission and the junks were cabled together to prevent that.

OK, thanks for the explanation. I didn't get all that from the clip.

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Saw this in the theater when it was released. I was around 11 at the time. My family got some, well, unfriendly comments and looks walking out to the parking lot that night. I wonder if they'd known that my old man and his work was directly involved in, and really, the driving force behind the technology that saw the killing of innumerable NVA and VC in the war, they'd have acted differently. Who knows? Most people I meet these days are significantly and painfully ignorant about *everything*.

Ignorance is bliss? Nah, man. Let the culling begin.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Gee. Not many people know about Wetzel, the man they called the Deathwind.

Molon Labe
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (1Akshooter, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 10gaugeman, 59 invisible), 2,452 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,450
Posts18,489,657
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.