Home
Posted By: 7mmbuster Granddaddy’s Gun - 01/19/23
By Aaron Lewis.
Never heard this before but it explains why some of us get really attached to some of the rifles and shotguns like we do.
I never knew either of my Grandfathers. They had left the scene long before I came around, but there’s three that are worth their weight in gold to me.
That Remington 788, in .308 is the first.
My first deer rifle. The Old Man bought it, used, for me when I was 13. I used it until I went in the Army. While I was away The Old Man fell in love with it.
When I got out, I bought myself a Ruger 77 in .30-06, and Dad used that .308 the last 25 years of his life.
I took it home after the funeral, and cried. I still load shells for it, and take it out to shoot and hunt with.
The next is an old Remington 870, in 16 gauge. Dad bought it used when he got home after WW2 for $30. It’s the only shotgun he ever really liked.
I gave him a 12 gauge with a slug barrel, deadly on rabbits, but he like that old 16 better.
It was kinda abused, to him a gun was just a tool used for hunting, so it never got cleaned, and was covered with overspray from being in the garage, where we painted cars.
I got it re-blued and the stock re-furnished last year. It cost me $600 , which he would’ve bitched about no end!
The last is an old Glenfield model 20 in .22 LR, it was my brother Dave’s Gun, and the one I learned to shoot on.
God alone knows how many Bullets went down that pipe over the years, but it’s still a good shooter!
Hopefully, it’ll teach another generation of Oldhams to shoot!
7mm
Posted By: blairvt Re: Granddaddy’s Gun - 01/19/23
Just went and oiled down the first 2 guns Dad gave me. Started with a Winchester 37 410. After a couple squirrel seasons he got me a Remington 521 T to match his and wouldn't let me use a shotgun again. Said I needed to learn how to shoot a rifle. The old Weaver steel tubed K4 died on me, other than that its just like he gave 40 years ago. Lets see pics of those first guns.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Muddinmetal Re: Granddaddy’s Gun - 01/19/23
This song affects me more than any song I have ever heard. I can NOT listen to it without tearing up.
Posted By: blindshooter Re: Granddaddy’s Gun - 01/19/23
Originally Posted by blairvt
Just went and oiled down the first 2 guns Dad gave me. Started with a Winchester 37 410. After a couple squirrel seasons he got me a Remington 521 T to match his and wouldn't let me use a shotgun again. Said I needed to learn how to shoot a rifle. The old Weaver steel tubed K4 died on me, other than that its just like he gave 40 years ago. Lets see pics of those first guns.

I gave my grandfathers Mod 37 12ga red letter to my oldest nephew this past Christmas.
Posted By: Osky Re: Granddaddy’s Gun - 01/19/23
Originally Posted by blindshooter
Originally Posted by blairvt

I gave my grandfathers Mod 37 12ga red letter to my oldest nephew this past Christmas.

In the 70’s a man I knew who was dying of cancer handed me a pretty little red letter in 20 gauge. Still in my gun room, never fired it, just a bit of oil now and again.

Osky
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Granddaddy’s Gun - 01/19/23
Good song!

Lots of memories
Posted By: shootem Re: Granddaddy’s Gun - 01/19/23
Touchstones to the past. A reckoning with blood that is gone from this world. I’m sure there are other items that bring the same emotions up but I’m not personally aware of any. Touching the wood and metal, handling the shells or cartridges, thinking of how it was used. Magic.
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Granddaddy’s Gun - 01/19/23
[Linked Image]

Grandpa's 1927 Winchester 94 he gave to me three weeks before he died. Turns out, its a bit of a rare bird, only 14 like it. Collectors refer to it as the 94/95 Hybrid since it came from the factory with a model 94 barrel (yet still stamped 94). Doesn't matter to me, that's staying in the family.
Posted By: rainshot Re: Granddaddy’s Gun - 01/19/23
A friend of mine years ago took his great grandfather's old double gun out to dove hunt with. The first shot both barrels let go and the latch flew open. The two casings hit him in the forehead. That's the last time he shot it to my knowledge.
Posted By: natman Re: Granddaddy’s Gun - 01/19/23
I have a few of my grandfather's guns. A Winchester 94 in 30-30 he bought new in 1926. All the blue has evaporated from the receiver, as is common with this vintage, but the rest of the gun is mint. A Belgian Browning SA22 with the wheel sight, mint.

And two Remington model 11s, one in 20ga and one in 12. My grandfather just about wore out the 20ga and bought a new 12ga. He took it out, flushed a pheasant and missed it with all three shots. Didn't say a word, just went back to the car, put the 12 ga away, took out the 20 and hunted with it for the rest of his life. Which is why I now have a completely worn out 20ga Remington 11 and a like new 12ga with three shots through it.
Posted By: rainshot Re: Granddaddy’s Gun - 01/19/23
That's funny. My dad did something similar. Mom bought him a 20 ga. 11-48 new when they came out. He hunted with it until we moved to west Texas and he started hunting ducks. He bought a new Browning A5 12 with a 30 Full choke barrel. He was a little guy and those "high brass" shells beat him up pretty bad. He went back to hunting with his 11-48 20 ga.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Granddaddy’s Gun - 01/19/23
Originally Posted by GunGeek
[Linked Image]

Grandpa's 1927 Winchester 94 he gave to me three weeks before he died. Turns out, its a bit of a rare bird, only 14 like it. Collectors refer to it as the 94/95 Hybrid since it came from the factory with a model 94 barrel (yet still stamped 94). Doesn't matter to me, that's staying in the family.

I saw that rifle and went WOW! I knew exactly what it was!!! How awesome!!!
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: Granddaddy’s Gun - 01/20/23
I'm going to an Aaron Lewis concert next week. My oldest daughter gave me tickets for Christmas. Really looking forward to it.
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Granddaddy’s Gun - 01/20/23
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Sadly that's not the original finish. The original finish got something on it back in the '70's and I restored the finish in the '80's. But I made sure to do it right, all polishing was done by hand, so all the edges are still crisp, and the stamping all still looks fresh.
Posted By: 7mmbuster Re: Granddaddy’s Gun - 01/20/23
“Using a shotgun on Squirrels, is kinda using a spotlight on deer!”
That’s what I told Pastor Mark, when I took him hunting his first year with us!
I let Ben use a 20 gauge the first year he hunted, after that it was a .22 or a .22 Magnum.
Hunting squirrel with a .22, teaches one to be patient, and pick your shots. That carries over to hunting Whitetails, and I think responsible for myself and Ben’s seldom losing a deer. Not bragging, but 95% of my shots on deer, are “bang flops”, because I’ve learned to wait for the shot to present itself.
Lots of memories
As I get older, it’s the memories that mean the most. Hunting as I learned it was a family deal. The Old Man taught Dave and me and my younger brother, and as the years went on, Dave and I taught our kids.
It was seldom that we drove deer. Usually we’d hunt separate hollows or ridges, getting back together at the end of the day. The Old Man always came around with the Jeep to gather us up.
(One time he forgot me, up Berky Hollow, and I walked 2&1/2 miles down to the main road) grin
The times have changed some, but this past year Ben drove all night from Indiana, and checked he and Sara into a hotel, and then grabbed his rifle to come join me just after daylight.
You can’t imagine what that meant to me!
I think the family connections now mean more to me than killing deer. It’s a tradition that I cherish, and hope to pass on to my grandkids.
7mm
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Granddaddy’s Gun - 01/20/23
Sadly that's not the original finish. The original finish got something on it back in the '70's and I restored the finish in the '80's. But I made sure to do it right, all polishing was done by hand, so all the edges are still crisp, and the stamping all still looks fresh.

👍👍👍👍. Giveaway to me was the front sight!
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Granddaddy’s Gun - 01/20/23
I got papas Steven’s fully gauanteed single 12 older 1st cousin got the 1st pick great grand paws double 12 exposed hammers engraved with initials.Savage fox or some deviant masking tape held the stock together last time I seen it in granny’s closet.
I asked him about that gun last week he’s “restoring” the stock.I’d give untold for it because of 2 stories behind it just to hang it on the fire place.
#1 story around 1950 era he had some black n tan coon dogs top notch.County dog warden comes along asking about tags etc etc old man said no tags🤷‍♂️Mr county man said 2 weeks you’d better have tags or else.
Mr county man shows up 2 weeks later same questions no tags.Tells old man I’m putting the dogs down.
Old man told him “hold on I’ll be right back”🤣
Shows up at the door and cocks the hammers and tells him”shoot the first one and you’ll be the next”🤣🤣

#2 story old man couldn’t walk no more 1970s era had his sons tote his ass up the mountain plus a chair for a deer drive and blasted a 140-150 class split g2 buck cousin has the rack as well
Posted By: 7mmbuster Re: Granddaddy’s Gun - 01/20/23
Thanks to all, for sharing the memories of our first guns and our families.
THIS is what I treasure the most of the ‘Campfire.
And it also brightens my day to find that there’s enough of us old dinosaurs around to carry on the traditions.
America will never die, as long as those of us who grew up here, and learned to love her, as we did, can still draw a breath!
It’s up to us, to teach our kids and grandkids what is meant by the Constitution, and what “Government of the People, by the People, and for the People” really means.
(much as I hate to quote Lincoln, he hit the nail on the head).
7mm
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Granddaddy’s Gun - 01/20/23
My grandfather left me his 32/20 and gave another grandson his double barrel 12. I don’t remember the manufacturer but I think it was bored full/full and like most had a lot of drop with a thin comb that would knock the snot out of your cheek.

”Bull” went dove hunting with my father and me once in ‘64. Up til then I had always been the retriever but this was my first dove hunt as a shooter and I was shooting a new Savage 24A .410. My grandfather was across the field from me and whenever he shot you’d hear a distinctive BAWHOOMP! 😊

For the record as I was walking to my spot, a really unlucky dove flew by and with my first shot at a flying dove, I nailed it. I’m thinking, “this is easy” 😁 The doves were flying like blackbirds and three boxes of shells later I had my limit 😁
Posted By: TheKid Re: Granddaddy’s Gun - 01/20/23
I would trade any rifle, heck any pair of rifles, I own now to have my Great Grandad’s 760 in .244.

My Grandad bought it for him for Christmas 1958. I borrowed it to kill my first two bucks, always took him a steak or two for “rent” of his rifle.

There was some controversy and bad dealings and feelings when time came to divvy everything up after he died and the guns were already gone.
Posted By: MartinStrummer Re: Granddaddy’s Gun - 01/20/23
Got two of grampa's guns

A Marlin 336 RC in .30-30 and a Rem "Target Master" single shot .22.
Gramps worked driving a mule team, building a section of US Hwy 84 between Rusk, TX and Palestine, TX during the depression.
Anybody that would stay to feed and water the stock would earn a few extra bucks.
They would bring a brick of .22. After the stock was fed and watered, they would go down to Neches river and shoot their .22's!
He was sudden death with that .22!
Guess that's how he was able to.kill a deer at 400 yards with the Marlin with iron sights!
Posted By: CBB Re: Granddaddy’s Gun - 01/20/23
Yep damn good song and damn lot of meaning in it for me. I’ve already passed some eirlooms along and have some still in the safe that I take out every fall. My son drools over my 280 every time I get it out. I just laugh and tell him that when my grandson is old enough I’ll give it to him! Lol!

My grandfather was a gunsmith, he made some beautiful rifles.l the 280 was no exception. I bought every one I could over the years, I couldn’t let them go. Pissed off a few aunts and uncles along the way who wanted them for free. I paid for them fair and square. Before he passed he gave me his Anshutz 22mag that was also my great grandfathers. He then gave my son, his great grandson his CZ 22 hornet. I talk to pap just about every day. Hope he hears me up there.
Posted By: 160user Re: Granddaddy’s Gun - 01/20/23
My Great Grandpa's 86 Winchester in 38-56 made laps through the family. I never knew my great grandpa or anyone that hunted with that old rifle. It was finally sold to some family friends that appreciate that stuff and they took it on a Buffalo hunt and killed a cow with it. They even brought my parents a steak. It means more to me being in the hands of a family that appreciates the rifle, knows the history and actually uses it. That old rifle is right where it needs to be now.
Posted By: hemiallen Re: Granddaddy’s Gun - 01/20/23
I lived 60 miles from my current home, which was Great Grandpa's 20 acres . We used to go to Grandpa's on some weekends for as long as I can remember, when not camping with them up in the sierra's at one of our favorite lakes. When I was about 8 Grandpa let me shoot the Rem 121 and Winchester 42 standard. He set the hook! So he makes me an offer, come up with $50 and I could buy both guns. I did a mess of Lawn mowing jobs, with a mechanical push lawn mower at $3 a pop, and one weekend I presented him the money. He pulled a fast one, said they are yours, but we'll keep them here in his closet and I could shoot them when I come up! To ease my sadness, he comes out of the bedroom with all of his coin collection and said "these you can take home with you". Almost complete book of walking liberties, Lincoln wheat pennies and a mess of misc coins. He worked at the local hardware- sporting goods store, and when he cashed out the till at night he saved the good coins after totaling the days receipts and used current money to make the till correct.

So in 71 Grandpa passes, sometime after the Burial we go to grandma's and the gun's are gone ( I was 12). Never did learn which relative got my guns, but 3 weeks ago I found a 1950 Rem 121 for a good price, and it's amazing the memories I've pulled up just from walking the vineyard and looking for the long gone Jack's I used to hunt.

In 72 after a year of working the vineyard from 60 miles away for Grandma to make ends meet and to see if farming was in the cards for us( not many vacation weekends that year) we bought the farm from Grandma and spent the next year building a house on the opposite corner of the property on the weekends and during summer break.

Almost forgot, I was maybe 7 and the old barn was a magnet for woodpeckers. Dad saw one from the back porch and told Grandpa, and he told dad to get the 410. All 3 of us walked outside and as dad approached the woodpecker didn't flee, Grandpa was whispering "shoot it", dad replies I'll shoot the barn, Grandpa said shoot it- and now I have a story of how the overhanging tin roof has pellet holes in it! By Coincidence, the last 2 days there has been woody hanging out and flushing when I didn't have a gun. So after dark tonight ( 2 hours ago) I took the Marauder 22 pellet rifle and dispatched him.

I'm a big Aaron Lewis fan, from Stained until now, he has a vocal range and stories that strain my eye's.

Thanks for the post.
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: Granddaddy’s Gun - 01/20/23
Originally Posted by hemiallen
. . . We used to go to Grandpa's on some weekends for as long as I can remember . . . said they are yours, but we'll keep them here in his closet and I could shoot them when
I come up . . .

. . . Grandpa passes, sometime after the Burial we go to grandma's and the gun's are gone ( I was 12). Never did learn which relative got my guns . .

There's a bunch of us with that same story, and it's
always the vultures that have no interest in guns that
haul them off. They only want the pennies on the
dollar they can get when they sell them off God only
knows where. And it's always depressing to me to
hear of the many that it happens to. They never
give the family member a chance to buy
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Granddaddy’s Gun - 01/20/23

👍👍👍👍. Giveaway to me was the front sight!
Sheard front sight, and the rear is a Kings flat top open (not factory) that my grandfather put on in the '30's. Last year I picked up a 92 with trashed sights (looked like someone took a hammer to them). I replaced the trashed factory sights with duplicates of what's on my 94 because I just love the sight picture.
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Granddaddy’s Gun - 01/20/23
The two guns of Grandad's that Dad had went to 2 other brothers - an 1893 Marlin 30-30 that Grandad bought "from some Russian trappers", and an1897 Winchester 12 gauge takedown.
I got my Great grandad's (from the maternal side) 1905 Win 35 SLR - SN 80, still another brother got his Rem 11 takedown and the leather case for it. (sheepshank?)

I forgot the Colt Bisley, 32-20, that came from "The Warden"s Grandfather. Still shoot all of them on occasion.
Posted By: kenoh2 Re: Granddaddy’s Gun - 01/20/23
If my grandaddy had a gun it would have been sold for booze money long before I came into the picture.
Posted By: xarcher Re: Granddaddy’s Gun - 01/20/23
I bought a 410 single shot for my grandson before he was born. The plan is eventually put him on a turkey and have him kill it with “my” gun that I let him borrow. Then as we are walking back to the truck, I’ll ask him if he wants the gun it’s his.
Posted By: las Re: Granddaddy’s Gun - 01/20/23
My dad's 1927 '94 in 30-30. I refinished it all once, needs it again. It's my walk-about carry up here, when I'm not hunting.

I haven't killed anything with it since 1966, and it's pouting. smile

Posted By: tzone Re: Granddaddy’s Gun - 01/20/23
I’m not listening to the rest of that song. I made it a minute.
Posted By: Colorado1135 Re: Granddaddy’s Gun - 01/20/23
Where do you get components for your 35 wsl? I too have my great great grandad's 1905.
© 24hourcampfire