Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Got two of grampa's guns

A Marlin 336 RC in .30-30 and a Rem "Target Master" single shot .22.
Gramps worked driving a mule team, building a section of US Hwy 84 between Rusk, TX and Palestine, TX during the depression.
Anybody that would stay to feed and water the stock would earn a few extra bucks.
They would bring a brick of .22. After the stock was fed and watered, they would go down to Neches river and shoot their .22's!
He was sudden death with that .22!
Guess that's how he was able to.kill a deer at 400 yards with the Marlin with iron sights!

C
CBB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Yep damn good song and damn lot of meaning in it for me. I’ve already passed some eirlooms along and have some still in the safe that I take out every fall. My son drools over my 280 every time I get it out. I just laugh and tell him that when my grandson is old enough I’ll give it to him! Lol!

My grandfather was a gunsmith, he made some beautiful rifles.l the 280 was no exception. I bought every one I could over the years, I couldn’t let them go. Pissed off a few aunts and uncles along the way who wanted them for free. I paid for them fair and square. Before he passed he gave me his Anshutz 22mag that was also my great grandfathers. He then gave my son, his great grandson his CZ 22 hornet. I talk to pap just about every day. Hope he hears me up there.

Last edited by CBB; 01/19/23.

Hunt...
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My Great Grandpa's 86 Winchester in 38-56 made laps through the family. I never knew my great grandpa or anyone that hunted with that old rifle. It was finally sold to some family friends that appreciate that stuff and they took it on a Buffalo hunt and killed a cow with it. They even brought my parents a steak. It means more to me being in the hands of a family that appreciates the rifle, knows the history and actually uses it. That old rifle is right where it needs to be now.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I lived 60 miles from my current home, which was Great Grandpa's 20 acres . We used to go to Grandpa's on some weekends for as long as I can remember, when not camping with them up in the sierra's at one of our favorite lakes. When I was about 8 Grandpa let me shoot the Rem 121 and Winchester 42 standard. He set the hook! So he makes me an offer, come up with $50 and I could buy both guns. I did a mess of Lawn mowing jobs, with a mechanical push lawn mower at $3 a pop, and one weekend I presented him the money. He pulled a fast one, said they are yours, but we'll keep them here in his closet and I could shoot them when I come up! To ease my sadness, he comes out of the bedroom with all of his coin collection and said "these you can take home with you". Almost complete book of walking liberties, Lincoln wheat pennies and a mess of misc coins. He worked at the local hardware- sporting goods store, and when he cashed out the till at night he saved the good coins after totaling the days receipts and used current money to make the till correct.

So in 71 Grandpa passes, sometime after the Burial we go to grandma's and the gun's are gone ( I was 12). Never did learn which relative got my guns, but 3 weeks ago I found a 1950 Rem 121 for a good price, and it's amazing the memories I've pulled up just from walking the vineyard and looking for the long gone Jack's I used to hunt.

In 72 after a year of working the vineyard from 60 miles away for Grandma to make ends meet and to see if farming was in the cards for us( not many vacation weekends that year) we bought the farm from Grandma and spent the next year building a house on the opposite corner of the property on the weekends and during summer break.

Almost forgot, I was maybe 7 and the old barn was a magnet for woodpeckers. Dad saw one from the back porch and told Grandpa, and he told dad to get the 410. All 3 of us walked outside and as dad approached the woodpecker didn't flee, Grandpa was whispering "shoot it", dad replies I'll shoot the barn, Grandpa said shoot it- and now I have a story of how the overhanging tin roof has pellet holes in it! By Coincidence, the last 2 days there has been woody hanging out and flushing when I didn't have a gun. So after dark tonight ( 2 hours ago) I took the Marauder 22 pellet rifle and dispatched him.

I'm a big Aaron Lewis fan, from Stained until now, he has a vocal range and stories that strain my eye's.

Thanks for the post.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by hemiallen
. . . We used to go to Grandpa's on some weekends for as long as I can remember . . . said they are yours, but we'll keep them here in his closet and I could shoot them when
I come up . . .

. . . Grandpa passes, sometime after the Burial we go to grandma's and the gun's are gone ( I was 12). Never did learn which relative got my guns . .

There's a bunch of us with that same story, and it's
always the vultures that have no interest in guns that
haul them off. They only want the pennies on the
dollar they can get when they sell them off God only
knows where. And it's always depressing to me to
hear of the many that it happens to. They never
give the family member a chance to buy

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
I saw that rifle and went WOW! I knew exactly what it was!!! How awesome!!!
Sadly that's not the original finish. The original finish got something on it back in the '70's and I restored the finish in the '80's. But I made sure to do it right, all polishing was done by hand, so all the edges are still crisp, and the stamping all still looks fresh.

👍👍👍👍. Giveaway to me was the front sight!
Sheard front sight, and the rear is a Kings flat top open (not factory) that my grandfather put on in the '30's. Last year I picked up a 92 with trashed sights (looked like someone took a hammer to them). I replaced the trashed factory sights with duplicates of what's on my 94 because I just love the sight picture.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
The two guns of Grandad's that Dad had went to 2 other brothers - an 1893 Marlin 30-30 that Grandad bought "from some Russian trappers", and an1897 Winchester 12 gauge takedown.
I got my Great grandad's (from the maternal side) 1905 Win 35 SLR - SN 80, still another brother got his Rem 11 takedown and the leather case for it. (sheepshank?)

I forgot the Colt Bisley, 32-20, that came from "The Warden"s Grandfather. Still shoot all of them on occasion.

Last edited by mark shubert; 01/20/23. Reason: addition

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
If my grandaddy had a gun it would have been sold for booze money long before I came into the picture.

X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
I bought a 410 single shot for my grandson before he was born. The plan is eventually put him on a turkey and have him kill it with “my” gun that I let him borrow. Then as we are walking back to the truck, I’ll ask him if he wants the gun it’s his.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
My dad's 1927 '94 in 30-30. I refinished it all once, needs it again. It's my walk-about carry up here, when I'm not hunting.

I haven't killed anything with it since 1966, and it's pouting. smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by las; 01/20/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I’m not listening to the rest of that song. I made it a minute.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Where do you get components for your 35 wsl? I too have my great great grandad's 1905.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1234, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,492 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,078
Posts18,482,745
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.