Home
Good stuff, pards
No
No.

Mae in USA cole-tac ammo wallet for the win.

I know. I know. It’s got Velcro on it.

Alerts the deer in 3 counties when i reload after emptying my gun…

#bangbangbang
I'm not crazy about them but I use them. They work until the elastic loses it's stretch.
I've started putting them on all of my rifles. I often have to grab a gun quickly and it's nice knowing you've always got a few extra rounds with the gun.
they're handy. but you gotta throw them away every couple years and buy a new one. Ammo is too dang expensive to lose.
Those things get as loose as a mudshark after a couple seasons.
They look gay to me, but what the hell do I know
Only on single shots.
I do. Handy as hell. But wish there was one that had a snap or Velcro flap over that would keep the shells from falling out.
Liked the Uncle Mikes products from 30 years ago. Newer ones suck.

If using on a wood stock beware, there will be marring in the finish where each cartridge was placing pressure in its loop.

My BDL has a half dozen spots where the finish isn't as smooth as between where shells were.

May not be as bad if you don't have the damn thing loaded full all of the time.
No, but if you go with one that holds two rounds and mounts on the side of your rifle just in front of the action, you can be so tacti-cool that you won’t have to use your spare magazine(s.)
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
I do. Handy as hell. But wish there was one that had a snap or Velcro flap over that would keep the shells from falling out.
Somebody was making one at some point.
No.
stop and stalk = skid and shoot.

When the pick up stops, get in or get out fast.
Lots of guys here use them, and the law considers the gun loaded when the ammo is in the elastic belt loops. Check your regs.
Originally Posted by Clarkm
stop and stalk = skid and shoot.

When the pick up stops, get in or get out fast.

?
Uncle Mikes makes one. I have them on several rifles.

https://www.amazon.com/Uncle-Mikes-Kodra-Buttstock-Holder/dp/B000PW423E
Got one on my tactical shotgun so I always know where the extra ammo is.
Got two lever actions that have leather carriers laced on, and a couple elastic ones on bolt actions.

But other than that, I can take them or leave them
Originally Posted by Dancing Bear
Uncle Mikes makes one. I have them on several rifles.

https://www.amazon.com/Uncle-Mikes-Kodra-Buttstock-Holder/dp/B000PW423E

Thanks dude! My Google-fu must be shît. I looked over for something like that a year or so ago and couldn’t find it. Bought a really well made one that was super adjustable with Velcro and had a bag over the slots. But it was still thick enough it messed up my cheek weld.
Originally Posted by keith
Lots of guys here use them, and the law considers the gun loaded when the ammo is in the elastic belt loops. Check your regs.

That is pretty stupid. What state is that in? Most states don't consider a weapon loaded unless there is a round in the chamber.
No but I can appreciate their utility.

Wouldn't mind one on the old H&R 20ga.
Nice to have them on single shot rifles like No 1s, and T/Cs.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Yes
Encore or other single shots...
Love them.

Stuff a pack of batteries for the dot under my turkey gun's.
I like this variety..,

Only on my TAC shotgun. No pockets to carry extra ammo in my underwear.
No. Pockets serve the purpose.
They’re handy for carrying spare ammo. 4 or 5 rounds in the gun and 9 spares easily available simplifies any ammo needs I’ll have. No need for a box in my pack. Another thing I like is the carrier will protect a wood stock a little bit from small scratches.
Have one on my slug gun. Twelve gauge shells take up too much pocket space.
I use the neoprene one from Beartooth Products. Been on there for four years and still snug.
Sometimes,but when I carry my 270 mountain rifle,I have extra mag,just put 4 in it,if 8 shots ain’t enough ,I don’t need to be hunting
NO. All the guns people have brought me to work on or sight in that had them on they got removed and thrown in the trash.
Always lost ammo using them .
No.
Yes, use the Beartooth neoprene variety. Don’t care for the uncle mikes. The beartooth is a little more comfortable and warmer on a syn stock when cold out
YES, i shoot a Ruger #1 so a gun boot works great i carry just 6 cartridges ever but i like the boot with a velcro cover on boot too. i also tape boot on both sides on stock cut a small hole in back part of boot so boot is in sling swivel too. same boot has been on my deer rifle for 20 some years.
No. Prefer to carry 2 bandoliers of at least 50 rounds over my shoulders
i use one of these from Triad Tactical, I just use the inside bullet holder.

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-hf3.../1039/IMG_1035__72194.1553026112.jpg?c=2
I like mine for certain occasions, sure beats fumbling around your pockets looking for ammo. At my age I can not even remember which pocket my cartridges are in, so it makes ammo instantly available, FAST! :o)

hanco you said they look gay? My Idea of looking gay is Chuck Schumer lol

KB

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Had one on my Remington 673 guide gun in 350 rem mag while hound hunting bear. It was handy if you needed to reload in the heat of the moment.
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Good stuff, pards

No. I use a single shot for most of my hunting, and a few rounds on the sling and a cartridge wallet in my pocket do me just fine.
Yep, on my BLR.
Not really. The commercial ones all suck - I've lost a bit of ammo out of those POS's.

I make my own out of the plastic shell holders that comes with commercial ammo if I want one. I cut them down to 3-5 rounds (whatever fits - usually the mag capacity) , then I electrical tape them to the stock, and put a light elec tape wrap on the ammo after insertion. This protects the tips, also, unlike that elastic POS.

Note- I DGAS about the stock finish- I can fix that if need be- I don't have/hunt fancy guns.

If you aren't wearing a pack or fanny pack, the belt ones are probably the way to go- either leather, or the commercial plastic shell holders that comes with the ammo.

YMMV.

What would be cool is if someone made an inletted one for wood, and/or plastic stocks, with a flip open, velcro, or sliding cover. Sleek and protected.
no.
i cant see adding more weight to my rifle.

a tip. if you hunt with a 20 ga you can tape an empty 12 ga hull to the forarm and stick a 20 ga in it for an extra quick follow up.
Look at a company called Bronze Dog .
They make some pretty good leather ones and have pretty good selections.
I like them, especially for single shot, double rifle and drilling. They are very handy for getting additional rounds in fast, so they are especially handy if you want to be able to drop more than one or two critters at a time. You don't need to fumble about in a pocket, and you don't have the risk of cartridges marring your firearm that you do with belt loops.

I use the elastic ones. I've used them for years. I've never lost a round from one.
I have one that's a cheek piece on one side and a zippered ammo holder on the off side
Originally Posted by specialK
NO. All the guns people have brought me to work on or sight in that had them on they got removed and thrown in the trash.

Why would you throw away someone else's [bleep]? You'd be buying me another one or gettin' your ass whipped.
I use one that hold 5 rounds on my hunting rig. I have never lost one or had one come loose. They stay put and I only load one round in rifle. So if needed one in available very fast. I have not needed a follow up though.
Actually ot to thinking about this.

I carry whatever the rifle will hold. No more. Guess that started once I began to carry a front stuffer and only 3 extra loads. Got to wondering why 4 loads were good enough there but I was carrying 4 or 5 in the rifle plus 5-9 on a buttstock carrier but never used more than 3 on a hunt which resulted in 3 dead deer.

If I can't get it done on 4 or 5 I need to reevaluate my shooting.
Ingwe used to call em bubba buddies. I don’t like em but my brother always has one on his Sako and I ain’t gonna be the one to call him a [bleep]..
No! memtb
Originally Posted by mirage243

Why would you throw away someone else's [bleep]? You'd be buying me another one or gettin' your ass whipped.
A leather ammo cuff on a Marlin lever action is tolerable.
Nope

Them your nappy headed grandchilrens?

Them your nappy headed grandchilrens?
That’s someone named mirage
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Actually ot to thinking about this.

I carry whatever the rifle will hold. No more. Guess that started once I began to carry a front stuffer and only 3 extra loads. Got to wondering why 4 loads were good enough there but I was carrying 4 or 5 in the rifle plus 5-9 on a buttstock carrier but never used more than 3 on a hunt which resulted in 3 dead deer.

If I can't get it done on 4 or 5 I need to reevaluate my shooting.

Yes, it will depend on what you need, fairly obviously. I've had quite a number of occasions where I've bounced a mob of pigs for example, carrying a bolt-action, and dropped 8 or more before they all got away. Being able to stuff those extra few rounds in quickly as I run to keep up has very much come in handy.

With the double rifle I've had a good number of occasions where I have had to stuff additional rounds in quickly too. One time for example it made a big difference for a mate of mine, who might have come to a sticky end if I hadn't turned from the animals I'd shot, reloaded and stopped a buffalo which had him lined up for a pasting.

There are any number of hunts where I just want one deer for the fridge, and in all likelihood will only want one round, but with the single shot or drilling I still like to have the option to load another round quickly if I should need it. Better to have it and not need it than the converse.
For some reason, only on my turkey gun
no
Not sure why anyone would think they’re gay. Love it at the end of a hunt when the loops are full of empties. I was happy to have it in Namibia when I didn’t grab my pack for a quick stalk and shot a Baboon, warthog, and an oryx in about 15 minutes. Another time in Colorado, it took me 5 rounds to kill a bull because I hadn’t done my homework on Sierra gamechangers. Embarrassing but true.
Originally Posted by 375Taylor
Not sure why anyone would think they’re gay.

If mounted on a 6.5 Creed they can be very gay:

No. The last thing I want to do is add weight and bulk to the butt of my rifle.
Yup in the 60's..then a pic of me on the same side of the building in 1986...cool
Have one of the ones that is intended to hold two rounds horizontally on a forearm, but I use it about a third of the way back on the stock, behind the grip area, on a handi rifle. Works for me.
No.
Yes.

The concept of paying someone else to sight in a rifle astounds me....
Chucking away someone else's cartridge carrier...
Uh huh......
If I'm not mistaken LEO'S in numerous states consider a rifle or Shotgun loaded if it's in a vehicle with one on its stock with rounds in it.
Regardless of the state of the chamber or magazine.
Originally Posted by Salmonella
If I'm not mistaken LEO'S in numerous states consider a rifle or Shotgun loaded if it's in a vehicle with one on its stock with rounds in it.
Regardless of the state of the chamber or magazine.

As usual LEO's are dumb as fuqk, I guess they just make up the rules as they go. That's like saying a box of ammo is touching the stock, therefore it's loaded.
I don't disagree.
I use them on my 6.5x55 and 7x57. That way I ensure when the rifle goes in the case I have ammo when I get there. You can’t find they chit at Walmart once you hit the road.
Never. I like ultralight rifles. Not going to heavy them up by hanging extra crap on them. I load the mag and carry one extra in my pocket for the chamber. If I run out of cartridges...what a day! Ill hike/climb back to the cabin\truck for more and get a drink and snack while I am there.
I tend to hike for miles, backtracking to find lost cartridges is not an especially comfortable feeling that I want to relive.
Had a few negotiations with my wife who has one on her rifle over a soft check pad. I finally said if she loses her ammo, I get to shoot the elk first.

She admitted I was right, she was wrong and no longer keeps the simple loop style loaded.
Don’t like cartridges, or anything else on my hunting rifle stock! For those that feel they must have quick access to more cartridges ….has more to be concerned with than quick access to more rounds, unless they are shooting a single shot rifle! “IF” rifle is a single shot, a couple of cartridges carried between the fingers is far faster than retrieving rounds from a stock carrier! Shotgunners with singles or doubles have done this for years, with shell that are much larger than the typical rifle cartridge! 🤔

This system has served me well for many years and there are many similar ammo pouches available! memtb

Yes, all the bolt action and lever guns in my safe have one with the ammo used to sight them in on the butstock. I can just grab and go with whatever flavor I want without thinking about the ammo.
Didnt figure this would be such an emotionally charged question. Holy moly.
I think they are, objectively speaking, a great idea. However, I don't think I've ever used one. Go figure.
Originally Posted by Blackheart
No. The last thing I want to do is add weight and bulk to the butt of my rifle.

My thoughts too.
I mostly don't understand packing all that ammo to start with. Do you guys get to shoot that much? My biggest screwup Murphy's Law, shame on me day ever, I think I burned up 4 rounds. And I ain't no David Tubb by any stretch of the imagination. How many shots do youse guys fire an average day hunting? I'm not being a smartass, a magazine full seems to be a plentitude. I will say, I always look for that cross canyon long shot...but it hasn't happened yet. I suppose if I was in sagebrush country, I'd carry more ammo, maybe.
I've got them on a few rifles, but never needed to use the ammo on them except at the range.
© 24hourcampfire