V
Yep, on my BLR.

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Not really. The commercial ones all suck - I've lost a bit of ammo out of those POS's.

I make my own out of the plastic shell holders that comes with commercial ammo if I want one. I cut them down to 3-5 rounds (whatever fits - usually the mag capacity) , then I electrical tape them to the stock, and put a light elec tape wrap on the ammo after insertion. This protects the tips, also, unlike that elastic POS.

Note- I DGAS about the stock finish- I can fix that if need be- I don't have/hunt fancy guns.

If you aren't wearing a pack or fanny pack, the belt ones are probably the way to go- either leather, or the commercial plastic shell holders that comes with the ammo.

YMMV.

What would be cool is if someone made an inletted one for wood, and/or plastic stocks, with a flip open, velcro, or sliding cover. Sleek and protected.

Last edited by las; 01/24/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
no.
i cant see adding more weight to my rifle.

a tip. if you hunt with a 20 ga you can tape an empty 12 ga hull to the forarm and stick a 20 ga in it for an extra quick follow up.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Look at a company called Bronze Dog .
They make some pretty good leather ones and have pretty good selections.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I like them, especially for single shot, double rifle and drilling. They are very handy for getting additional rounds in fast, so they are especially handy if you want to be able to drop more than one or two critters at a time. You don't need to fumble about in a pocket, and you don't have the risk of cartridges marring your firearm that you do with belt loops.

I use the elastic ones. I've used them for years. I've never lost a round from one.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have one that's a cheek piece on one side and a zippered ammo holder on the off side

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by specialK
NO. All the guns people have brought me to work on or sight in that had them on they got removed and thrown in the trash.

Why would you throw away someone else's [bleep]? You'd be buying me another one or gettin' your ass whipped.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I use one that hold 5 rounds on my hunting rig. I have never lost one or had one come loose. They stay put and I only load one round in rifle. So if needed one in available very fast. I have not needed a follow up though.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Actually ot to thinking about this.

I carry whatever the rifle will hold. No more. Guess that started once I began to carry a front stuffer and only 3 extra loads. Got to wondering why 4 loads were good enough there but I was carrying 4 or 5 in the rifle plus 5-9 on a buttstock carrier but never used more than 3 on a hunt which resulted in 3 dead deer.

If I can't get it done on 4 or 5 I need to reevaluate my shooting.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Ingwe used to call em bubba buddies. I don’t like em but my brother always has one on his Sako and I ain’t gonna be the one to call him a [bleep]..

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
No! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by mirage243
NO. All the guns people have brought me to work on or sight in that had them on they got removed and thrown in the trash.

Why would you throw away someone else's [bleep]? You'd be buying me another one or gettin' your ass whipped.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A leather ammo cuff on a Marlin lever action is tolerable.

Last edited by High_Noon; 01/24/23.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Nope

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

Them your nappy headed grandchilrens?

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

Them your nappy headed grandchilrens?
That’s someone named mirage

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Actually ot to thinking about this.

I carry whatever the rifle will hold. No more. Guess that started once I began to carry a front stuffer and only 3 extra loads. Got to wondering why 4 loads were good enough there but I was carrying 4 or 5 in the rifle plus 5-9 on a buttstock carrier but never used more than 3 on a hunt which resulted in 3 dead deer.

If I can't get it done on 4 or 5 I need to reevaluate my shooting.

Yes, it will depend on what you need, fairly obviously. I've had quite a number of occasions where I've bounced a mob of pigs for example, carrying a bolt-action, and dropped 8 or more before they all got away. Being able to stuff those extra few rounds in quickly as I run to keep up has very much come in handy.

With the double rifle I've had a good number of occasions where I have had to stuff additional rounds in quickly too. One time for example it made a big difference for a mate of mine, who might have come to a sticky end if I hadn't turned from the animals I'd shot, reloaded and stopped a buffalo which had him lined up for a pasting.

There are any number of hunts where I just want one deer for the fridge, and in all likelihood will only want one round, but with the single shot or drilling I still like to have the option to load another round quickly if I should need it. Better to have it and not need it than the converse.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
For some reason, only on my turkey gun

Camp is where you make it.
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
no

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Not sure why anyone would think they’re gay. Love it at the end of a hunt when the loops are full of empties. I was happy to have it in Namibia when I didn’t grab my pack for a quick stalk and shot a Baboon, warthog, and an oryx in about 15 minutes. Another time in Colorado, it took me 5 rounds to kill a bull because I hadn’t done my homework on Sierra gamechangers. Embarrassing but true.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 1Longbow, 06hunter59, 160user, 007FJ, 64 invisible), 2,141 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,047
Posts18,482,245
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.