Home
Posted By: Teal Korean Language - 01/26/23
Anyone here ever learn it as an adult? 2nd or 3rd language?

How hard/easy etc - good resources?

I have a new customer and being able to speak some would be most beneficial.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Korean Language - 01/27/23
Can’t help on resources but making an effort to learn even a few words and sentences is usually appreciated by the native speaker.
Posted By: Jcubed Re: Korean Language - 01/27/23
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Can’t help on resources but making an effort to learn even a few words and sentences is usually appreciated by the native speaker.

This. Or do you need to speak some degree of fluency? I have found Asian languages are, many times, hard for the purely Western speaker. Tones/intonation being the most difficult.

Ymmv
Posted By: nyrifleman Re: Korean Language - 01/27/23
Originally Posted by Jcubed

This. Or do you need to speak some degree of fluency? I have found Asian languages are, many times, hard for the purely Western speaker. Tones/intonation being the most difficult.

Ymmv

I disagree. I personally found Japanese to be easier than Spanish.
Originally Posted by nyrifleman

Ymmv

Well...there you go.
Posted By: rainshot Re: Korean Language - 01/27/23
I can swear in three languages but that’s not one of them. Sorry.
Posted By: Teal Re: Korean Language - 01/27/23

Ymmv

I'd like to be conversational. I know learning on my own I'll never be 3/3/2
Originally Posted by Teal

Ymmv

I'd like to be conversational. I know learning on my own I'll never be 3/3/2

Gotcha.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Korean Language - 01/27/23
Never tried to really learn it, but I know Chinese is very tonal.

"ma" with different tones means a lot of different things.

I don't do well with diacritical marks, but I found a web page that explains what I heard a Chinese person explain once;

https://www.fluentu.com/blog/chinese/chinese-ma/

at my age I'd rather go back and refresh my Italian skills than attempt Chinese, and that probably holds for Korean.
Originally Posted by Valsdad

I don't do well with diacritical marks, but I found a web page that explains what I heard a Chinese person explain once;

at my age I'd rather go back and refresh my Italian skills than attempt Chinese, and that probably holds for Korean.

You can quickly call your "host mom" a horse and a few other things with "ma."

Ymmv

Eta: didn't read the link before posting...sorry!
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Korean Language - 01/27/23
Hangul is a hard language to pick up.
I can remember a few terms dealing with POW commands.
Remember cuss words ( of course)
Did 3 tours their.
Had more of a grasp during those times of simple stuff.

It is a guttural and tonal fast spoken language.
Alot of words have multiple meanings with just jslight variance in how you pronounce them.

Honestly it is easier for a Korean to learn English than it is for American to learn Hangul.

IIRC in their school system they are required to take English for 5 yrs.

Might not be the same now.
But most Koreans that were not ancient serpent types know some functional english.
Alot of em play like they don't to their advantage.

Work out something concern money with em and language is a issue.
Walk away .

The English will come out to make the deal then they play like a language barrier wasn't thing before.
They was just trying to get top dollar out of you.

That's another thing about Korean culture.
Set prices really ain't set prices but ya gotta test the boundary of price.
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Korean Language - 01/27/23

I only learned enough back in the day to order a beer, food and negotiate with a hooker.

Currently learning Polish using the Duo Lingo app. It's surprisingly fast.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Korean Language - 01/27/23
Originally Posted by Valsdad

You can quickly call your "host mom" a horse and a few other things with "ma."

Ymmv

Eta: didn't read the link before posting...sorry!
Ha ha,

I think that's what the Chinese person was explaining the one time I heard that discussion!
Posted By: persiandog Re: Korean Language - 01/27/23

does your customer speak english? may be there are other ways of connecting with him/her.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Korean Language - 01/27/23
No help at all I know but I just watched a Korean movie this week, Broker, decent movie made by and for Koreans. So they’d be talking along to subtitles. Sounded fast and tonal as all get out, hard to pick out individual words.

Like I said, no help at all but if ya wanna hear 2hrs and 20 minutes of non-stop Korean this a movie for it….

Posted By: Jim270 Re: Korean Language - 01/27/23
I used to be able to carry on a conversation, but that was years ago. There are apps that can give you more than the basics. The one that I was playing around with a year or so ago didn't seem to have the pronunciation like I remembered it, but it was free. Here is the basics on Koreans, they have been bending people over for over 5000 years, we have only been at it for a couple hundred. If you take 10 Koreans and charge them one nickel to see an Elephant [bleep] in a coke bottle, three would walk off grumbling about having spent a nickel, four would demand their money back, and the remaining three would want want to buy the Elephant.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Korean Language - 01/27/23
Slavic languages have *got* to be the most difficult. Learning the meaning of the words is only a part of it. Being able to say the word even after you've heard it takes a lot of vocal gymnastics.

"Z" is a vowel in Polish, apparently.

Example: "Przemyśl" means industry.

If I ever go to Poland I won't be able to talk about industry because I can't pronounce it.
Posted By: kamo_gari Re: Korean Language - 01/27/23
Posted By: kamo_gari Re: Korean Language - 01/27/23
'Shut up, slope!'

wink
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
'Shut up, slope!'

wink

Hey now...
Posted By: Paul39 Re: Korean Language - 01/27/23
I don't know about Korean, but Mandarin is one of the easiest languages for an English speaker to learn. I should say spoken Mandarin. Becoming literate, reading and writing, is another magnitude of difficulty. No verb endings, no gender, sounds much like English (sh, j, ch, that would be difficult for speakers of Spanish or German, for example). Tone is important, but it makes for a rather compact array of syllables. The sound approximately like "sher", depending on tone, can mean the verb to be, the number 10, or $hit, among other things. The Chinese are great jokesters, and love to mess with non-speakers of Chinese. My name in Chinese by a change in tones means "chicken taking a dump". A guy I served with named Scorby was called Szu Gou Pi, meaning dead dog fart.
Posted By: Scott_Thornley Re: Korean Language - 01/27/23
Originally Posted by Paul39
I don't know about Korean, but Mandarin is one of the easiest languages for an English speaker to learn. I should say spoken Mandarin. Becoming literate, reading and writing, is another magnitude of difficulty. No verb endings, no gender, sounds much like English (sh, j, ch, that would be difficult for speakers of Spanish or German, for example). Tone is important, but it makes for a rather compact array of syllables. The sound approximately like "sher", depending on tone, can mean the verb to be, the number 10, or $hit, among other things. The Chinese are great jokesters, and love to mess with non-speakers of Chinese. My name in Chinese by a change in tones means "chicken taking a dump". A guy I served with named Scorby was called Szu Gou Pi, meaning dead dog fart.

Well, grass mud horse....
Posted By: poboy Re: Korean Language - 01/27/23
How say "Otra cerveza" in Korean?
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Korean Language - 01/27/23
I should try to kearn a new language.
So far, igavent mastered this one.

igavent was a typo.
Figured it belonged!🤣🤣
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Korean Language - 01/27/23
Learn to eat Kimchi. I used to do business with a company in Korea and their executives were always impressed to see I ate kimchi. Although for some learning the language might be easier.

I still like kimchi but my family hates the smell when I bring it home. Fermented cabbage, fermented fish sauce, fermented shrimp paste, some hot chillies and a few other things. I'm amazed everyone doesn't love it.

Bb
Originally Posted by persiandog

does your customer speak english? may be there are other ways of connecting with him/her.

Yes they do and one of my POC's is really good the other isn't as much. I just want to be able to show them IGAS about their business too. Just would like to be able to laugh at the same jokes you know?
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Slavic languages have *got* to be the most difficult. Learning the meaning of the words is only a part of it. Being able to say the word even after you've heard it takes a lot of vocal gymnastics.

"Z" is a vowel in Polish, apparently.

Example: "Przemyśl" means industry.

If I ever go to Poland I won't be able to talk about industry because I can't pronounce it.

I don't mind Slavic languages - reading Cyrillic cursive is murder though. HATE it and only bothered to do so well enough to pass that part of the exam. I suppose it's dying like English cursive these days too.
Posted By: GRIZZ Re: Korean Language - 01/27/23
You speak good gook pilgrim...

Yes they do and one of my POC's is really good the other isn't as much. I just want to be able to show them IGAS about their business too. Just would like to be able to laugh at the same jokes you know?

risky ! be careful

a sales manager told me , never ask a customer where they are from , the customer says "idaho" and you confuse Idaho with Iowa and make a joke about cow tipping.
and you created a distance just by asking. ( have you ever seen a car salesman asking that?)

showing interests in korean food is the safest bet and its harmless. sharing american cultural things like old cars ,elvis and 'rat pack ' , mobs , Holyrood might be good ideas to explore.
I wouldn't tell the joke - no sir. Learned that with Serbs.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Korean Language - 01/27/23
There are online language courses and you might find a free one or at least cheap.

In Vietnam, we worked with Vietnamese, Cambodians, Montagnards, Thai, Laotian, and Chinese. They were mutually incomprehensible to each other, but all sounded alike to me. Fast, tonal, and somewhat sing-song. I managed to pick up Vietnamese numbers but that's about it. They all had different alphabets, as well.
Posted By: P_Weed Re: Korean Language - 01/27/23
I wonder what caliber does North Korea use...

To administer Coronavirus shots?
Originally Posted by P_Weed
I wonder what caliber does North Korea use...

To administer Coronavirus shots?

What does this have to do with the OPs thread?

He asked about learning a foreign language...
Posted By: Jim270 Re: Korean Language - 01/27/23
For what it's worth. What I'm saying was years ago, maybe something has changed maybe it hasn't. Koreans aren't real big on shaking hands they bow to each other, if they are dealing with an American who they think knows nothing about their culture naturally they will shake hands. If the Korean bows to you, you in turn bow lower than they did, it's a show of respect, don't offer your hand unless they do first, especially if they are older. Don't associate anything Japanese with them as calling them mommasan or poppasan. The older Koreans have no love for the Japanese. They controlled their country twice, last time between 1910-1945. Another tidbit is their number 4 is the same as our 13, often their advertisements in magazines or billboards are written in Chinese, if they are counting something unimportant they will use Korean numbers, if it's important like money its in Chinese.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Korean Language - 01/27/23

Ymmv

I have a friend who spent 20 years in Taiwan. Of course he's fluent in Mandarin Taiwanese which is very similar to Mandarin Chinese. He said it's a lot easier to learn than many think.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Ymmv

I have a friend who spent 20 years in Taiwan. Of course he's fluent in Mandarin Taiwanese which is very similar to Mandarin Chinese. He said it's a lot easier to learn than many think.

I watched a pile of super smart people fail out of Chinese at a rapid clip.
Posted By: ribka Re: Korean Language - 01/27/23

As my instructor at DLI said. "get yourself a long haired dictionary"
Posted By: 22250rem Re: Korean Language - 01/27/23
Buddy of mine spent a year in Korea circa 1970 for Uncle Sam. He said he just picked up a few key words & phrases for the most basic communication. Then you can follow up with gestures, facial expressions, etc.
Posted By: kolofardos Re: Korean Language - 01/27/23
Posted By: Tide_Change Re: Korean Language - 01/27/23
Probably not much help, but you might try just speaking Engrish with a foreign accent.

you know you are fluent in a language when :

you can't find your dictionary and
dream in it and
you can order a mixed drink in a noisy crowded bar and you don't have to repeat it 10 times.
© 24hourcampfire