Home
Posted By: 160user Removing Skunk Smell - 01/31/23
Someone asked about this a while back and I finally found the recipe and thought I would share. It is easy to carry these ingredients in the truck when going on a hunting trip in case the dog gets into a "Stinker".

The destink process:

1 qt. Hydrogen Peroxide - the brown bottle drug store variety
1/4 cup Baking Soda (approx amount - I do not measure it)
1 squirt of Dawn Dishwash Liquid

Combine ingredients immediately before use, stir to dissolve the baking soda and give the dog a bath in the solution. The peroxide will react with the skunk juice and other organic matter and bubble up quite a bit. It does not hurt to let it soak a while.

Rinse with cold water and discard the leftover solution. Do not try to save it. The peroxide continues to break down and will cause a sealed container to burst and it will break down to just soapy water over time anyway.

I keep all these ingredients in the truck along with a plastic bucket to mix it in when needed.

You can bathe dogs with this solution as well but you need to keep it out of their eyes.
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Removing Skunk Smell - 01/31/23
Take a bath in tomato purée … is about the only thing that worked when I was a kid and got caught up in dispatching a skunk I caught in a trap…
Posted By: 160user Re: Removing Skunk Smell - 01/31/23
This works much better! I have tried both.
Posted By: JeffP Re: Removing Skunk Smell - 01/31/23
Time is the only thing that really works...
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Removing Skunk Smell - 01/31/23
Go to Walmart and get a bottle of "Pooph!" It chemically neutralizes organic smell molecules. LINK
Posted By: UncleAlps Re: Removing Skunk Smell - 01/31/23
I use powdered laundry detergent with the hydrogen peroxide and liquid dish soap. Make a thick paste and cover your dog from head to tail. Then let them sit outside for an hour or until you feel sorry for them. Then hose or rinse off keeping the soap out of their eyes. It works. Taught this method by my vet. Makes their coat nice and fluffy too!
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Removing Skunk Smell - 01/31/23
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Take a bath in tomato purée … is about the only thing that worked when I was a kid and got caught up in dispatching a skunk I caught in a trap…

Not even close to the tried and true mixture in the OP.

Had my hunting dog buddy sprayed 80 miles from the house and had plenty of tomato products onhand and used it all on him in a very vigorous washing session. It got him de-skunked enough for the ride home in my truck, but still strong odor..

Got him home and bathed in "the recipe" and you couldn't catch a hint of skunk after.

I use "the recipe" several times a year with the same results. With multiple dogs, it's not IF they get sprayed, it WHEN. wink
Posted By: UncleAlps Re: Removing Skunk Smell - 01/31/23
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Go to Walmart and get a bottle of "Pooph!" It chemically neutralizes organic smell molecules. LINK

That looks like a handy thing to have. Next time I make my annual visit to wally world I'll pick some up.
Posted By: OrangeDiablo Re: Removing Skunk Smell - 01/31/23
Originally Posted by 160user
Someone asked about this a while back and I finally found the recipe and thought I would share. It is easy to carry these ingredients in the truck when going on a hunting trip in case the dog gets into a "Stinker".

The destink process:

Combine ingredients immediately before use, stir to dissolve the baking soda and give the dog a bath in the solution. The peroxide will react with the skunk juice and other organic matter and bubble up quite a bit. It does not hurt to let it soak a while.

Rinse with cold water and discard the leftover solution. Do not try to save it. The peroxide continues to break down and will cause a sealed container to burst and it will break down to just soapy water over time anyway.

I keep all these ingredients in the truck along with a plastic bucket to mix it in when needed.

You can bathe dogs with this solution as well but you need to keep it out of their eyes.

This works. Used it on my pup a few years ago. Excellent remedy.
Posted By: Dutch Re: Removing Skunk Smell - 01/31/23
it works, I have the ingredients at the house, the farm house and both farms, just in case. Used it at least a dozen times. Not perfect, but good enough for the pup to ride in the cab instead of the back of the pickup.
I've used the peroxide, baking soda, Dawn mixture several times!
It works.
My two Rotty's are prone to skunk destruction. Literally ripping them to shreds. I've watched the male go back and attack the pieces!
They get soaked!

The mixture reduces the stench to a somewhat tolerable level, but nothing but time will actually remove the aroma!
Now, to bathe two Rotties, you'd probably have to mix up a couple of gallons of the stuff! LOL!

Had a skunk spray my front door. Wife washed that door several times. Every time it dried, you could see the greasy spots of the spray. Long after the odor was gone, the spots stayed!
I finally had to paint the door with Kilz and repaint to get rid of the spots.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Removing Skunk Smell - 01/31/23
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
But at $30/spray bottle. You can buy gallons of tomato juice or peroxide for the same money and they've been proven to do the same thing.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Removing Skunk Smell - 01/31/23
Sheesh....it's just a little skunk smell.

I am surprised you tuff guys don't go live in a hotel for a week afterwards.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Removing Skunk Smell - 01/31/23
Don't drink Heineken in the first place...

Easy peasy...
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Removing Skunk Smell - 01/31/23
I've hunted South Dakota the last 3 years and my dogs have been skunked each time. The recipe the OP posted was what Otis received in the picture below. It worked.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: RAM Re: Removing Skunk Smell - 01/31/23
Pooph.
Posted By: WYcoyote Re: Removing Skunk Smell - 01/31/23
The last time my dog got sprayed I had good luck with some industrial grade orange hand cleaner I had in the shop.
Posted By: Steve Re: Removing Skunk Smell - 01/31/23
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Don't drink Heineken in the first place...

Easy peasy...

Winner! 🏆
Posted By: muleshoe Re: Removing Skunk Smell - 01/31/23
Listerine mouthwash warsh. The original formula.

Seriously
Posted By: wytex Re: Removing Skunk Smell - 01/31/23
Originally Posted by JeffP

Not true, the mixture works very well.
Posted By: Tide_Change Re: Removing Skunk Smell - 01/31/23
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Sheesh....it's just a little skunk smell.

I am surprised you tuff guys don't go live in a hotel for a week afterwards.

...and take the dog with you.

LOL
Posted By: sactoller Re: Removing Skunk Smell - 01/31/23

The destink process:

This is what I have used more then a few times. Do not soak the dog prior to washing with this solution.
Posted By: 160user Re: Removing Skunk Smell - 01/31/23
Originally Posted by OrangeDiablo

The destink process:

This works. Used it on my pup a few years ago. Excellent remedy.

I have washed skunks in this and them taken them inside for taxidermy work. The smell is totally gone.
Posted By: Dutch Re: Removing Skunk Smell - 01/31/23
Originally Posted by sactoller

The destink process:

This is what I have used more then a few times. Do not soak the dog prior to washing with this solution.

Why not? I typically toss the dogs in a raceway after they have been skunked, and then mix up a batch and suds them up. Seems to work just fine?
Posted By: duke61 Re: Removing Skunk Smell - 01/31/23
Agree This formula works best and I tried tomato juice and everything under the kitchen sink.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Removing Skunk Smell - 01/31/23
Smells like cooffie

Everybody likes coffey
Posted By: Dude270 Re: Removing Skunk Smell - 01/31/23
Tag

Thanks for the tip
Posted By: stomatador Re: Removing Skunk Smell - 01/31/23
Originally Posted by Dutch
Originally Posted by sactoller

The destink process:

Why not? I typically toss the dogs in a raceway after they have been skunked, and then mix up a batch and suds them up. Seems to work just fine?

Skunk oil isn't water soluble so water (by itself) doesn't do anything.

The OP's recipe is what my family has used for a long time. The chemistry is that it oxidizes the thiols in the skunk oil. We mix it up in a bucket, blot it on with a sponge and let the dog "soak" for 10 minutes while the magic happens, then a rinse. It works well enough that the dogs and I get to sleep in the house same day.
Posted By: JeffP Re: Removing Skunk Smell - 02/01/23
Originally Posted by wytex
Originally Posted by JeffP

Not true, the mixture works very well.
Not my experience....
© 24hourcampfire