Home
That
Yes.

The 5.56 is much more effective in the AR versus the 223 in a bolt gun.
I have killed one deer and two pigs with one so far with a 6.5 Grendel.
Pigs, couple sorry ass emu’s. I have no doubt a 223 with a 62 grain Bear claw would kill a deer after blasting hundreds of pigs with them.
yes.
No but I have a few and an Ak
Pigs. Yes.

Deer. No.

No doubt it would work fine. Just never used it for deer
Yes, hasn't everyone?
Tons of small helpless woodland creatures
Occasionally used one when predator calling! memtb
Yes. Still do hunt coyotes with one. Don't hunt deer with one anymore, but I did just to do it.
Not since Monday.
Absolutely. Deer, coyotes and whatever else. 5.56, 6x6.8, 6.8
Yes, varmints/predators. All the deer I've shot with .223 and .222 have been with bolt guns.
Yep, 5.56 and 450 Bushmaster
Never even fired one.
No
No
is anyone with the initials ATF asking?
Originally Posted by KFWA
Oh hush, Covtard
What's an AR15?
I ain’t paying $25 box for soft point ammo to use it on deer and FMJ is illegal on deer in Tenn so no. Have not gotten around to reload any yet.

But i guess anything goes in Texas, Montana and awesome Out West
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Yes
Hunted and harvested with, 300 BO, 6.5 Grendel and 458 SOCOM
Yes,

223, 6.5 Grendel, 308.......they work great, especially on pigs!
Not in the last 22 hours or so. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I killed one deer with a Mini-14 and have carried a MSR for deer, but no shooting. I did snipe a crow with the MSR last season. That thing is surprisingly accurate.
Originally Posted by TimZ
Yes,

308 in AR-15??
Originally Posted by slumlord
I ain’t paying $25 box for soft point ammo to use it on deer and FMJ is illegal on deer in Tenn so no. Have not gotten around to reload any yet.

But i guess anything goes in Texas, Montana and awesome Out West
Need me to send you some TN friendly deer ammo pard?
Lots of hogs using 62 grain Hornady BTHP 26.2 grains of Varget.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Use a AR-.223 now and then.Rio7

Yes, Whitetail Buck with 6mm AR.
Not yet, but I need to rectify that. I have a setup that would make an awesome deer rifle.
Pretty much all I hunt with.

Never have, never will.
Use an AR-15 calling coyotes. My AR-10 is too heavy in my mind to take after deer when I have other rifles dedicated for that. I could see loading a decent bullet to hunt deer with the 5.56 but haven’t had a real need to prove to myself it’ll work when I know it will without actually doing it.
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Yes.

This is where we really need the sarcasm font or emoji......
Yes.

How’s that?
No. Not yet.
Never handled an AR, maybe I’m allergic?

M16 is another tale. Worked on pigs, water buffalo, monkeys, dinks and an elephant. That is all.
Yep
223/5.56 , 6.8 SPC and 450 bushmaster
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Yes.

How’s that?
Somebody wanna help me out here?
I tried once but their a high powered assault rifle and I was blowing the deer in half. Switched to a .300mag and it works a lot better.
I bought a nice S&W AR 15, put a Leupy 6x42 on it, shot it at the range but never really got the itch like some people do with accessories and modifications. From what I gather, they are the #1 sporting rifle these days, lots of younger shooters/hunters like them. Can't imagine anything better for hogs and maybe yotes. My son has it now, I prefer bolt actions, semi-autos don't motivate me to spend $.

$25 for a box of cartridges??? Can't remember when I saw any ammo that cheap that wasn't 22 rimfire.
Yes.
Mine is M4 style with a Timney trigger and a 4X Leupold.
With Benchmark and 55 gn. V-Maxes it will do 3/4 MOA.
Depending on the situation, it’s just to handy not to take along. Especially when the weather is crappy.
Actually who cares what someone prefers to hunt with lever bolt semi or single shot
Sounds like someone trying to defend against a liberal
Holding this spot for smartazz remark to the self aggrandizing post John Burns won’t be able to refrain from making.
Holding this spot for smartazz remark to the ball cupping support post that Camigula will make soon after.
Prairie dogs and ground squirrels. Oh, and a couple woodchucks.
I have two Rock Rivers. They are accurate SOB’s

Nope---Don't own one & don't want one. My 30/06 is perfect
The Fuddery is strong in this thread... grin
they work great for varmint hunting, rabbits and coyotes. although I do feel they are weak on coyotes when chambered in 223. So on coyote I use a 6mmDTI upper. so far its done great on the 20 or so I have shot with it. the coyote hunting has been very slim the last few years due to excessive drought. YES and AR is way more than an assault rifle. its actually an excellent hunting rifle in certain applications. I also feel its easier to hit with when shooting offhand and less than perfect shooting positions compared to a regular stocked bolt gun.
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
they work great for varmint hunting, rabbits and coyotes. although I do feel they are weak on coyotes when chambered in 223. So on coyote I use a 6mmDTI upper. so far its done great on the 20 or so I have shot with it. the coyote hunting has been very slim the last few years due to excessive drought. YES and AR is way more than an assault rifle. its actually an excellent hunting rifle in certain applications. I also feel its easier to hit with when shooting offhand and less than perfect shooting positions compared to a regular stocked bolt gun.
Weak on coyotes? LOL
I have not.
Yes
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Weak on coyotes? LOL
Yeah, that was well, stupid
Yes, deer and hogs with a 5.56 AR and a 6.5 Grendel
75 grain Hornady BTHPs kill hogs graveyard burying dead
123 ELDMs kill deer quite easily
Yes.

How’s that?
Well, YOU made the statement. Surely you can explain it?
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Never handled an AR, maybe I’m allergic?

M16 is another tale. Worked on pigs, water buffalo, monkeys, dinks and an elephant. That is all.
You’ve killed water Buffalo and an elephant with an M16??!!?? Cool!!! Do tell.
Yes last November, AR 50 Beowulf dead buck.
My latest "go to" for hogs is a POF Revolution AR-308, suppressed and swappable from thermal to a 1-6 x 24 scope. I carry 1-2 extra 10rd mags in my pocket when spot and stalking pigs. I liked it so much, I bought its little brother, a POF Renegade AR-15 in .223 for use on coyotes, foxes and bobcats.

I'm still old school when it comes to deer and other game, typically using an MRC X2 in .260Rem.
Yep....lots of deer and plenty of hogs

277 Wolverine
On deer reduction hunts on big ranches where does and cull bucks were taken I did well with an Olympic Arms 223 on the AR platform with 55 or 60 Gr Hornady Interlocks. I can't remember if the bullet weight was 55 or 60 Gr.
You mean like the terrorist hunters do? crazy

Not very much actually, but a couple that are highlights for us. Just recently went hog hunting for the first time, used ARs in 300 blackout and 308 for my first hogs. REALLY need to do that again.

And my daughter at age 12 killed her first big game with a ar10 in 308. As you can probably tell she was pretty small. The AR10 with a collapsible stock was perfect for her size. Plus the cartridge was very capable.

Originally Posted by TimZ
Yes,

308 in AR-15??

Ok, right, AR-10 in 308.
Weak on coyotes? LOL

Lol x2.

To answer the OP's question, yes.
Turkey (in Texas). It was handy. FMC ruined no meat.

Weak on coyotes? LOL

.223 shooting 55-60gr Vmax bullets is the best coyote killer I ever saw.

But what do I know... wink
One coyote, one small 4 point buck. It worked fine but it still isn't my 1st choice for deer in most situations. The one deer I killed was a special situation where I felt the AR was the best tool for the job that I had.
Yes,but in 7.62x39…
Just most every day and all chambered in .223 Wylde.

Mule Deer, Whitetails, feral pigs, javelina, coyotes, bobcats, skunks, raccoons, possums, crows, pigeons, grackles, and a couple of rattlesnakes.

Ed
Yes,
I have killed several dozen hogs with the 6.8 SPC round and a few with the 300 Blackout. I have also killed a deer with the 6.8SPC.
I have shot 3 pigs at or very near 250 yards with the 6.8. The one deer I shot was with a 90gr Federal Fusion bullet was slightly quartering away and I broke the offside shoulder and did not recover the bullet. The deer went 30 yards with a good blood trail.
I load a 65gr Sierra gameking over a stout charge of Varget. Probably 20-25 deer taken with that load, from 20 yards to 150. For a while it was the only rifle I had when I was living in the barracks, had to keep it at my buddies house and I did all my hunting with it. Hundreds of pigs killed. Shot factory ammo for a while, but then started hand loading.
I just use my AR for flexing on the range Fudds and mag-dumping into abandoned kitchen appliances, like a real American.
Originally Posted by KFWA
Oh hush, Covtard

focus on posting animated gifs
Own them don’t hunt with them.

GreggH
I’ve killed lotsa schit with a 527 cz 223 does that count
A good number of coyotes. A few woodchucks (generally prefer the 22/250 for that) and a couple deer with a 350 legend.
Deleted
Originally Posted by earlybrd

Just not big game in Virginia, right? Wink wink
I use one as a truck gun and calling rifle a lot.
Originally Posted by JPro
I just use my AR for flexing on the range Fudds and mag-dumping into abandoned kitchen appliances, like a real American.
That’s badass.
Yeppers!
I shoot an AR15 in .223 and in 6.8mm. Also have an AR10 .308.
I've killed deer with the 6.8mm and the AR10. Pigs with the 6.8mm. 'Yotes etc with all three.
I have been amazed at the effect the 6.8mm has on pigs.
Most factory ammo is loaded with 110 and 120 grain.
I load 90 and 100 grain. So far, the lighter bullets are more accurate and are devastating on pigs! 😃 One shot! D.I.R.T.! (Dead! Instantly! Right There!)

No longer deal with the recoil of fixed bolt rifles. Bolt, pump or single shot. Too old and dinged up.
The opportunity presents itself from time to time.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by jackmountain

Turkeys yes
Been killing with Arsenal for 30 years... deer/hogs

Turkeys yes

You’ve done it now. Gonna be a buncha purists aghast at the thought of shooting a bird with a rifle getting their panties wadded.
Not legal here.

I've taken them for walks, before and since they were made legal for coyotes.
Never saw any on those strolls.
I haven't, but a friend and I figured a16" AR-10 in 308 would be an awesome timber and brush gun. This was almost 30 years ago when the 308 was the only thing available in the AR-10
I just recalled using an AR-15 for gophers

Turkeys yes

You’ve done it now. Gonna be a buncha purists aghast at the thought of shooting a bird with a rifle getting their panties wadded.
It’s legal I could give a fugk less what purest think
Yes.

How’s that?
Guess you couldn't sense the sarcasm.
Yes.

How’s that?
You full on stepped in it with that comment. Don't know what. 223 bolt guns you are shooting but then again there are just too many variables to consider before making a blanket statement like that.... Barrel quality, ammo preference, factory vs reloads, twist rates, custom AR vs custom bolt action. Factory AR vs factory bolt action or mixed up....... I have a cheap $350 T/C Compass with 5R rifling that shoots ½ moa and have a $1,000 Springfield Saint that shoots ¾ MOA.
Originally Posted by MPat70
Yes.

How’s that?
You full on stepped in it with that comment. Don't know what. 223 bolt guns you are shooting but then again there are just too many variables to consider before making a blanket statement like that.... Barrel quality, ammo preference, factory vs reloads, twist rates, custom AR vs custom bolt action. Factory AR vs factory bolt action or mixed up....... I have a cheap $350 T/C Compass with 5R rifling that shoots ½ moa and have a $1,000 Springfield Saint that shoots ¾ MOA.
Was nothing but sarcasm.
Weak on coyotes? LOL

YES weak on coyotes. Too many needed finishing shots. The problem there is once it seems like they are hit with a marginal shot. They may need not one finisher but a couple more. I prefer no extra shots going off on stand. Yes I have tried different bullets etc. out of 150 or so the percentage that needed finishing shots was way too high.

Instead of giving up and going back to higher powered bolt guns. I upped the horsepower of my upper. It’s not conclusive as it’s only a sample of 20 but I am happy with what I have seen.
Originally Posted by 78CJ
Yes.

This is where we really need the sarcasm font or emoji......
Some couldn't figure it out.
I tried once but their a high powered assault rifle and I was blowing the deer in half. Switched to a .300mag and it works a lot better.
Same. AR in 5.56 for large dangerous type critters and 223 for in a bolt gun for vermin.

Just like a 9mm, my AR blows the lungs out of em. Can't get the same results with same ammo in a bolt action.
I have hunted with my Springfield AR-15 5.56/.223.

Foxes, bob cats, coons, possums..... No pigs or coyotes yet.
Yes . AR -15 in 6.8 SPC .... whitetail ,hogs, javelina, and turkey. AR-10 in 7mm08 ..... Axis , whitetail , bobcat.
Wild dogs don't respond well to marginal hits, regardless of caliber/cartridge.
Originally Posted by Dave_Spn
Or arrows!!😎
Started in 1991 with an Olympic Arms 6mm PPC. But now we have the 6 ARC and it's WAY better. Pfftttt.

Tony
Originally Posted by dpd
Yes . AR -15 in 6.8 SPC .... whitetail ,hogs, javelina, and turkey. AR-10 in 7mm08 ..... Axis , whitetail , bobcat.

7mm-08 , .243, 6.5CM or .260 would be the dream AR round for everything of the size you mentioned.
Yep pigs so far.
Pigs and whitetails. 5.56 and .308.
I forgot, I actually did hunt for awhile with my Alex Pro MLR in 26 Nosler, suppressed with a thermal on it.
It looked really cool, but was ridiculously large, heavy, cumbersome, and just completely worthless. But if I was 25, it would be perfect for posting pics on Twater
I have two more of those guns in 30 Nosler and 33 Nosler, but haven't shot them after the earlier experience with the 26.

Tony

P.S. The MLR is an AR-10 stretched out to 375 H&H length.
How many think this thread will part of the feds sporting use case???
Tried packing one around once, never again.
Originally Posted by blanket
How many think this thread will part of the feds sporting use case???
Are you related to Wabigoon?
Originally Posted by SLM

Agree, on most of the AR's. I have an Armalite AR-10 SPR with a 20 inch barrel and that thing seems like a dead log to lug around (even though it's actually lighter than some of the other popular AR-308's).

Then I discovered POF (Patriot Ordnance Factory) out of Phoenix. They make AR-308's that start sub 7lbs. I bought a POF Revolution w/ 16.5" barrel and it's definitely worthy of being carried around, even with a suppressor. It's become my new hog gun, both from a blind and spot 'n stalk. Not cheap, but probably close to the best AR-308 out there.
Shoot enough under field conditions. Marginal hits are going to happen I dont care who you are. It’s common to shoot them on the run as well. We aren’t shooting at static targets. I think I have shot a coyote with just about anything.and too many cartridges to list. Yes what you shoot them with matters. Yes the 223 isn’t that impressive at killing coyote. 22-250 or something 6mm
AR hunting... Yes.

6x45, x39, .358W

Builds... 9mm to .458 Lott
Yes. With a 350 Legend.

Ron
Shoot enough under field conditions. Marginal hits are going to happen I dont care who you are. It’s common to shoot them on the run as well. We aren’t shooting at static targets. I think I have shot a coyote with just about anything.and too many cartridges to list. Yes what you shoot them with matters. Yes the 223 isn’t that impressive at killing coyote. 22-250 or something 6mm

You've never been right about anything, ever. Ever.

If you have wounded 150 coyotes with a .223, then it was your shooting or the bullet that sucked. If it's the bullet that sucks, then your learning curve does as well.

You may BS your way past some folks here, but there's a few here that know better.

You're just full of schidt as usual.
Originally Posted by Ralphie
You mean like the terrorist hunters do? crazy

Not very much actually, but a couple that are highlights for us. Just recently went hog hunting for the first time, used ARs in 300 blackout and 308 for my first hogs. REALLY need to do that again.

And my daughter at age 12 killed her first big game with a ar10 in 308. As you can probably tell she was pretty small. The AR10 with a collapsible stock was perfect for her size. Plus the cartridge was very capable.

Great picture.
No.
Yep, hunted coyotes and bobcats for a couple of years but went back to a lightweight bolt .223. For me an accurate AR makes sense when dealing with multiple targets. Otherwise, I prefer a bolt action.
Yes.

How’s that?
Guess you couldn't sense the sarcasm.
Went right over my head. My apologies, sir.
Yep
Sure sucks that the 223 is so ineffective. Of course none of these were head shots, just good shots.
can't say I have, but see no reason why they would not work
Yep. 300blk out . Dropped the deer in its tracks with a head shot.
Yes, javelina, yotes, and a couple of skunks. I actually prefer my bolt action Rem, in 308, it stops them ded, and in one spot.
Hell yea! 223, 224 Valkyrie, Grendel, 6.8 SPC

Groundhogs, P dogs, fox, coyote, bobcat, pigs, javelina, deer, etc.
All one and done.
Originally Posted by cra1948
All the deer I've shot with .223 and .222 have been with bolt guns.

Same here. My L46 Sako works well for that as did my cousin's M700 in 222 Rem when I was a teenager. But, this year I have been carrying an AR in 6.5 Grendel loaded with 129 ABLRs. Unfortunately, the deer haven't cooperated while I had it in hand. There are a few days remaining in season so I still have little hope yet.
I rather like some AR15 models for knock-around use and killing of targets of opportunity. Close the dust cover and innards stay fairly clean. Most stuff doesn’t want to rust. Decent triggers are under $100. Good/comfy stocks allow swapping LOP in 5 seconds and don’t have to rattle/wobble. Plenty of firepower on hand. The right .224 bullet can get a lot of things done on deer, hogs, coyotes, and varmints, in my experience. Today’s AR15 can actually be a good hunting tool. Never fooled with the intermediate chamberings, just 223/5.56 (and the 308 in larger frame).
Originally Posted by TheKid
Sure sucks that the 223 is so ineffective. Of course none of these were head shots, just good shots.
Wow! Killed that hog so dead it almost buried itself! smile
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Originally Posted by TheKid
Wow! Killed that hog so dead it almost buried itself! smile

It laid a couple of hog eggs too! laugh
No, but more power to you if that is your thing. To each his own.
Wasn’t so much the weight as couldn’t find a comfortable way of carrying it. It was nice in the gunbearer, but sucked in hand.

Originally Posted by gsganzer
Originally Posted by SLM

Agree, on most of the AR's. I have an Armalite AR-10 SPR with a 20 inch barrel and that thing seems like a dead log to lug around (even though it's actually lighter than some of the other popular AR-308's).

Then I discovered POF (Patriot Ordnance Factory) out of Phoenix. They make AR-308's that start sub 7lbs. I bought a POF Revolution w/ 16.5" barrel and it's definitely worthy of being carried around, even with a suppressor. It's become my new hog gun, both from a blind and spot 'n stalk. Not cheap, but probably close to the best AR-308 out there.
Originally Posted by brush_buster
Yes, hasn't everyone?
THis. Can't recall when I haven't. Maybe in the 70s possibly.

Deer and pigs don't take much killing. Have killed loads of pigs with a 22. Thats the only gun to use if they are trapped. know of more than a few book deer killed with a 223, generally bolt guns though. But the AR is FINE hunting platform.
Have I killed a deer with an AR? No

Do I think you could kill a deer with an AR? Yes, within limits. I've killed quite a few deer with a .22 LR.

Murdochs did a demo day at our range last summer where their vendors had tents with their products, and spaces on the range where people could shoot these guns.

There was a local vendor there that made AR uppers chambered in .300 Win Mag and in .30-06. I shot and rang the 430 yard gong with both of them.
300 BO with 110gr Barnes TTSX. 6 pigs and 1 deer. It killed all of the pigs DRT. I figured I'd try it on a deer just for kicks. Shot it in the shoulder and it ran about 250 yards through the field and disappeared. I thought I lost it, but it was laying in the field up over the hill. After that, I decided that I need more fire power and haven't tried it since.

Prairie dogs and pigs.

You missed reading comprehension the day it was taught.

You missed reading comprehension the day it was taught.
He’s got an Uber YouTube channel tho
Shot many prairie dogs with my Bushmaster Varminter. It’s a bit too heavy and ungainly for me to go out hunting with it. I am intrigued by the Ruger SFAR in a .308 giving the AR platform some extra punch in a reasonably lightweight rifle.
Deleted
I have killed half a dozen or more deer and 25-30 coyotes with mine. Hand load a 62g soft point and put it in the boiler room. They go down.
I have a 458 Socom, 6.8 SPC, and a 300 Ham'r that I have intended to hunt deer with, but never have.

I have a 300 grain HP and a 405 grain LBT load ready to go for the .458, and I intend to try the 300 TTSX on test medium. I've got a ready-to-go load with the 120 grain SST for the 6.8, and if they ever become available, I'd like to try the 110 grain Accubond. The 300 Ham'r has three loads ready to go, a 130 grain RN, 135 grain FTX, and a 150 grain Speer spitzer. I want to try the 150 grain Hornady RN in this cartridge, and I have a couple of others that are probably too light/frangible for deer, but coyotes would be in the realm of their capability.

I've shot groundhogs with 5.56/50 grain Blitzkings.

I wouldn't be afraid to try big black bear at all with the .458 Socom.
Used my no longer owned AR15 243 WSSM on a few antelope.
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]IMG_0207 by [[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]004 by .com/photos/156405073@N02/]Tim Richard, on Flickrurl=https://www.[bleep].com/photos/156405073@N02/]Tim Richard[/url], on [bleep]
And used my no longer owned AR15 .204 to kill a few truck loads of coyotes back in the day. Have since gone back to bolt actions.
Originally Posted by TRnCO
Used my no longer owned AR15 243 WSSM on a few antelope.
Why did you get rid of the WSSM?
Just going away from AR's and had a buddy that wanted it. His daughter used it this fall to kill a nice whitetail buck in KS., so it's went to a good home.
© 24hourcampfire