Home
I love talent shows. The Voice and America's Got Talent are some of the only good shows on TV. This kid took this song places I have never heard it taken before. He has incredible power, range and movement. He crushed it technically too. It was flawless. From the hushed whisper notes to the full throttle upper register work he exercised absolutely precise vocal control, displayed a wide array of textures and demonstrated masterful artistic creativity in making it his own.

I will await the expert critique of CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Being as he taught music for 124 years
You haven’t heard scheit til you’ve heard it on vinyl through a set of 70’s speakers.
Paul....calm down. Your evaluation didn't even do it justice! OUTSTANDING,
Originally Posted by slumlord
I will await the expert critique of CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Being as he taught music for 124 years.
Those are the careless and untruthful words of an insatiable “aird a thabhairt ar whore “.
I dont like the sim and gardoodle version.

However, those lyrics are powerful.
PaulyB,

You could describe the sound and vocal texture of a dude slurping a meat pole better than anyone.

Snork, sarcasm, chortle.

😬🦫
If you have some buds or headphones, try it with that. I am not [bleep] you, immersing myself in that performance brought tears to my eyes.
Amazing performance. I like people who can actually sing. And props to the house audio team - he doesn't pull that off unless his monitor is perfect too.
Originally Posted by Teal
- he doesn't pull that off unless his monitor is perfect too.

Tell me about that. I am completely ignorant on the production side of things.
Originally Posted by nyrifleman

That was another good one. I really enjoyed the way that one built in intensity through the verses.
The best version is Pentatonix by far but they are a group. I prefer the Disturbed version personally and he had a cold during the Conan performance....
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

That was another good one. I really enjoyed the way that one built in intensity through the verses.

Crescendo, Rick. It's Italian.

Ymmv
Originally Posted by CCCC
Those are the careless and untruthful words of an insatiable “aird a thabhairt ar whore “.

One last toggle

The thing is, you cannot accept being told on this forum that youre full of SHÎT. You seek attention with your wordsmithing and 19 paragraph replies. No one gives a fouck. And you needed to be told of that long ago, no one had the brass balls. Lately you’ve been rough handled by a couple of members who have also called you out your long winded, tiresome eric clapton crap.
Every week you report some fantastic career you did for “38 years, 55 years, 30 years”. Just put a goddamm sock in it.

Peace out

Have a blessed day.

Ignore re instated
Originally Posted by GregW
The best version is Pentatonix by far but they are a group. I prefer the Disturbed version personally and he had a cold during the Conan performance....

I think this version captivated me because of the way he arranged it. Having heard it so many times, I was mentally following and anticipating it. When he made his completely unexpected departures from the normal arrangement and took it where I never imagined it going, it really worked for me.

It's hard to speak and I assume sing if you can't hear yourself. Don't know if you remember when Rush lost his hearing - his voice had no inflection, color or natural sound.

Singers have the ear piece so they can hear themselves and thus sing and sound well. (I'm not 100% on this, remembering what a friend of mine in a semi-pro band told me back in the 90s)

So to sound THAT good, I suspect the house audio crew had his monitor perfect too so he could hear himself to "adjust" his voice as he sings.
Fantastic performance! What a voice!

He left out the second verse:

In restless dreams, I walked alone
Narrow streets of cobblestone
'Neath the halo of a street lamp
I turned my collar to the cold and damp
When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

And he left out the fourth verse:

"Fools" said I, "You do not know
Silence like a cancer grows
Hear my words that I might teach you
Take my arms that I might reach you"
But my words, like silent raindrops fell
And echoed in the wells of silence

Analyze the lyrics, 60 years ahead of time Paul Simon is describing the effects of the Iphone.

"People talking without speaking...people hearing without listening..."
Try to have a ten minute conversation with a young person, you get about 3 minutes, and they start texting on the Iphone.
Nominally having a conversation with you, the Iphone guy is talking without speaking, and hearing without listening.
Great voice!

Big eyebrows! grin
It kind of sounds like he's got a good voice. He should have selected a song that would have allowed him to demonstrate it instead of that old, slow Simon and Garfunkel Sad Sack Special.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Great voice!

Big eyebrows! grin

Omg!

Idaho!
One last toggle The thing is, you cannot accept being told on this forum that youre full of SHÎT. You seek attention with your wordsmithing and 19 paragraph replies. No one gives a fouck. And you needed to be told of that long ago, no one had the brass balls. Lately you’ve been rough handled by a couple of members who have also called you out your long winded, tiresome eric clapton crap. Every week you report some fantastic career you did for “38 years, 55 years, 30 years”. Just put a goddamm sock in it.
Peace out Have a blessed day. Ignore re instated Those are the careless and untruthful words of an insatiable “Oppmerksomhetssøkende hore“ (attention whore).
You must be losing it - another nut posing as a mind-reader, eh? No, just a victim of your rabid need for noise and notice. Simply could not resist lifting your "ignore", eh? Try harder. Life accomplishments take discipline, hard work, self control.
P.S. Try eliminating your vulgarity - a sign of poor self-control.
One last toggle The thing is, you cannot accept being told on this forum that youre full of SHÎT. You seek attention with your wordsmithing and 19 paragraph replies. No one gives a fouck. And you needed to be told of that long ago, no one had the brass balls. Lately you’ve been rough handled by a couple of members who have also called you out your long winded, tiresome eric clapton crap. Every week you report some fantastic career you did for “38 years, 55 years, 30 years”. Just put a goddamm sock in it.
Peace out Have a blessed day. Ignore re instated Those are the careless and untruthful words of an insatiable “Oppmerksomhetssøkende hore“ (attention whore).
You must be losing it - another nut posing as a mind-reader, eh? No, just a victim of your rabid need for noise and notice. Simply could not resist lifting your "ignore", eh? Try harder. Life accomplishments take discipline, hard work, self control.

Go on...
The Sounds of Silence was and is a protest song, and although Ball and maybe Pentatonix are everything you say they are..... Disturbed with his raspy whiskey and smoke voice projects the anger and division of our country at the time the song came out, as was intended by Paul Simon....there was heavy schidt going down back then, civil rights marches, draft/war protests, the cold war/Cuban missile crisis, nuclear drills, fallout shelters...you want sweet music, the Mormons got a choir, you want to send a message...gimme Disturbed.
If you have some buds or headphones, try it with that. I am not [bleep] you, immersing myself in that performance brought tears to my eyes.

The guy has pipes! He has great control of his voice and will go far likely. That said I don't like the sound of his voice, that doesn't mean it's not good I just don't like it.

Disturbed's version is still my favorite. That said I really don't enjoy much of Disturbed's music but I like their version.

I will say this........If an eyebrow ever needed plucking!!..............
I enjoyed that. Thanks.

Ginger boy can belt it for sure.
I watched that myself and really enjoyed this version about as much as I like the Disturbed version in different ways. This same guy placed second on Britain's Got Talent also
Wow! Check out his Tom Jones cover too, powerful vocals….

I wish I could sing like that. I couldn’t carry a tune in a 10 quart water bucket. I have nightmares that I’m singing in church and all of a sudden everyone but me stops. I suck at singing (except in the shower. I sound like Sinatra).

Ron
Sorta looks like Rittenhouse with a fro
Talented for sure.

It's hard to speak and I assume sing if you can't hear yourself. Don't know if you remember when Rush lost his hearing - his voice had no inflection, color or natural sound.

Singers have the ear piece so they can hear themselves and thus sing and sound well. (I'm not 100% on this, remembering what a friend of mine in a semi-pro band told me back in the 90s)

So to sound THAT good, I suspect the house audio crew had his monitor perfect too so he could hear himself to "adjust" his voice as he sings.

Also, and Teal correct me if I am wrong, but even in acoustically well built rooms, the monitor gives you the sound (music and your words) as they happen before any bounce back takes place.
Originally Posted by philgood80

Also, and Teal correct me if I am wrong, but even in acoustically well built rooms, the monitor gives you the sound (music and your words) as they happen before any bounce back takes place.

Would make sense. I'm not certain. Again, one drunken night discussion with friends back 30 years ago almost.

Quite possibly one of my favorite Britain’s Got Talent auditions. Everyone is laughing at her at the start. No one was laughing when she finished!
Just don't toggle the fool.
Sorta looks like Rittenhouse with a fro

Ha ha!!! And with a pair of caterpillars living above his eyes.
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Good gosh that kid is a remarkably gifted vocalist. He spends a lot of time in the classical/broadway lane. He is very capable of venturing beyond that and tending toward the pop though, and when he does, he nails that too. If he is to rise to superstardom he'll have to focus on more pop appeal.
That fugger has some of the most impressive eye brows I have EVER seen!

Almost as boss as Jennifer Connely's.

One last toggle

The thing is, you cannot accept being told on this forum that youre full of SHÎT. You seek attention with your wordsmithing and 19 paragraph replies. No one gives a fouck. And you needed to be told of that long ago, no one had the brass balls. Lately you’ve been rough handled by a couple of members who have also called you out your long winded, tiresome eric clapton crap.
Every week you report some fantastic career you did for “38 years, 55 years, 30 years”. Just put a goddamm sock in it.

Peace out

Have a blessed day.

Ignore re instated

The Dude abides. ^^^

Look in the mirror, Sweetie.

This proves he is not a one trick pony.

kwg
Too much false reverb.

The eye brows are still fugging amazing and deserve their own reality show.
Thanks for posting Paul. Great video from a great singer!
Funny that Simon referenced Susan Boyle. I drew the comparison right away as well. A future star for sure.
Originally Posted by kwg020

This proves he is not a one trick pony.

kwg

Does it though?

He certainly has a good voice and a dramatic vibrato that fits both those tunes ok.
Paul, thanks for posting. My evening is better for having heard this performance.
Nicely done.
Barnard -

Good lord.

Take a cold shower already.

It will help with your man-flow.
Tears!

laugh
Great rendition of the song. He had to cut it short to fit into an allotted amount of time by eliminating a couple of verses but outstanding nonetheless. Enjoyed it!

[/quote]

Badass range. I’m jealous

Same vocal skill as Miljenko Matijevic of Steelheart

ALMOST

Dude completely sucks in comparison to the Steelheart vocalist

Originally Posted by Higginez
Too much false reverb.

I happen to agree

Even though you are a kcunt
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Too much false reverb.

I happen to agree

Do you have lasered in eyebrows? VarmintGuy kinda goes for that fyi
Too much false reverb.

I happen to agree

Which is why you follow me around hoping I'll notice you are a musician.

But, you are in fact, just a drummer.

LOL
Too much false reverb.

I happen to agree

LOL

Hoping?

You have an inflated sense of self.

Fuggen illustrative.
I can only read the sign, I don't make it up.
Fuggin drummers....
You fugged up

Hilarious that you think your opinion as a washed up wannabe rock star is valued.

HahahahA!
I'll remember that next time I don't chew my corn good enough and can see it in my Camuglia.
I'll remember that next time I don't chew my corn good enough and can see it in my Camuglia.

Disappointing reply, but expected from a defeated fugger

I was on a deer hunt in November and it was great until I stepped in a huge pile of Higgenez at the corral

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Too much false reverb.

I happen to agree

LOL

Hoping?

Fuggen illustrative.
Start a GoFundMe for a hotel,ya fuggin ho.moez.
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Too much false reverb.

I happen to agree

LOL

Hoping?

Fuggen illustrative.
Start a GoFundMe for a hotel,ya fuggin ho.moez.

Garanimals are available on Amazon

But you know with rapid reorder

😂
It was ok.
cumuglia tryin too hard

again
Originally Posted by AdventureBound
Paul, thanks for posting. My evening is better for having heard this performance.

Exactly. Thanks!

One last toggle

Every week you report some fantastic career you did for “38 years, 55 years, 30 years”. Just put a goddamm sock in it. Peace out Have a blessed day. Ignore re instated Those are the careless and untruthful words of an insatiable “Oppmerksomhetssøkende hore“ (attention whore).

The Dude abides. ^^^
Originally Posted by GregW

Yeah, that's definitely a good one as well. All three of these exceed the original.

All In all, I prefer hearing Jerry Lee Lewis go manic.

Originally Posted by Bristoe

You haven’t experienced a vocal performance for years. PM Wabigoon for the schedule.
That's hardly breathtakingly beautiful.

Originally Posted by Bristoe

Sorry Paul, while he’s good …..can’t touch the original version by Simon and Garfunkel with Disturbed a close second! My wife, much prefers Disturbed over any other version! memtb
WOW Mr. Ball has a serious set of eyebrows.

Sorry, but I am one of those guys that think the original is always better then another persons rendition. Simon and Garfunkel's original will never be improved.

Was at a barber shop last week, they had some program ruining songs made by various artists that were doing their renditions of famous songs we all know and love, like for instance "Hotel California" by the Eagles. Felt like sticking my fingers in my ears to stop the pain. lol

After listening for about 20 minutes, I asked the barber if he could change the channel!

KB
Yea the kid is good........

AGT has brought some stars out...this kid is on his way to a career in music

Heidi still looks hawt too........... grin
Originally Posted by KillerBee
Was at a barber shop last week, they had some program ruining songs made by various artists that were doing their renditions of famous songs we all know and love, like for instance "Hotel California" by the Eagles. Felt like sticking my fingers in my ears to stop the pain. lol

KB

Safariman's on tour?
You beat me to it... I've never heard that song so well as that young man did... Wife and I have replayed that segment at least four times (so far).. smile
Just watched it again. Great performance.

I prefer this one.
Thank you for posting, remarkable.

While I like all three covers discussed (Ball, Disturbed and Pentatonix), I think they miss, at it's core, that this song is a lament and has it's roots in simple folk music.

All three covers are over-produced with massive "wall of sound" crescendos, which are audibly enjoyable, but cover up the angst and fright in the lyrics. Excellence in simplicity is much more elusive than excellence in bombast.
Originally Posted by Dutch
Thank you for posting, remarkable.

While I like all three covers discussed (Ball, Disturbed and Pentatonix), I think they miss, at it's core, that this song is a lament and has it's roots in simple folk music.

All three covers are over-produced with massive "wall of sound" crescendos, which are audibly enjoyable, but cover up the angst and fright in the lyrics. Excellence in simplicity is much more elusive than excellence in bombast.

Dutch, you agree with Andy Williams. Here is what he had to say about singing Scarborough Fair with Paul and Art.

Simon, that gave me chills. Thank you.
Perfection
We are so lucky to have been born in the last 70 years and watch this type of music unfold during our lifetime. It's one of those gifts we will ever be able to repay. Great pick Simon.

kwg
Originally Posted by kwg020
We are so lucky to have been born in the last 70 years and watch this type of music unfold during our lifetime. It's one of those gifts we will ever be able to repay. Great pick Simon.

kwg

AMEN!

KB
Guys with heavy brows get the best chicks.
I have known Paul since the 70's. Among other things he was a Phd and head of a University, He is an accomplished musican, assembled a collection of vintage gm trucks, also a long time friend of Ken Howell and a reloader. He is one of the orignal individuals that started the Quemato get togethers. Slumlord, you are batting completely out of your league and are one of the big reasons so many have left the campfire. You should have left your comments in Tennesse, definitely poor white trash.
"Tell her to make me a cambric shirt
Without no seams or needlework
Then she'll be a true love of mine..."

It is a series of impossible tasks. He is saying that she can never again be his true love.
An old English folk song updated by Paul Simon.

This song has been rated by the SimonKenton Institute as the greatest popular song ever recorded.
I don't know if I would call it breath takingly beautiful.
Kinda gay PB to describe a dudes singing like that...
Just saying..

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🥴🥴🥴🤣🤣🤣

Dude can sing.
But he is also red on the noodle like a Peter on a poodle.
And needs to do something about them old dude from the movie Dune eyebrows.
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
This song has been rated by the SimonKenton Institute as the greatest popular song ever recorded.

Simon Kenton was an accomplished warrior during the Revolutionary War.

Why is an institute named after him involved in rating songs?
© 24hourcampfire