Home
Posted By: Gunnison1 Scrapple, Ever eaten it? - 02/06/23
As the name describes it’s made from scrap bits of pork and cornmeal along with no telling what else. Spam ain’t got nothing on this stuff.
Posted By: Edwin264 Re: Scrapple, Ever eaten it? - 02/06/23
Yes, it’s good
Great movie.
If you grew up in PA where I did, you ate it with apple butter regularly!
Posted By: slumlord Re: Scrapple, Ever eaten it? - 02/06/23
I would like to play scrapple with CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Posted By: jc189 Re: Scrapple, Ever eaten it? - 02/06/23
I ate it when I was a kid visiting family up in Pennsylvania. They served it with breakfast. It was ok. When they would come down south to visit us, we would make grits with breakfast. They said the same thing. never ate them before, there ok.
Originally Posted by shootsacreed
If you grew up in PA where I did, you ate it with apple butter regularly!

Fried. Maple syrup.
But maybe we grew up in different places.

Gunnison, It's got Buckwheat flour too. At least ours did.

Around here, just the juice is thickened.
The rich snooty prices down east put the meat in too.

We grind the meat and put it in loaf pans like scrappel.
Puddin' meat.
Cold on butter bread with onion, Heinz, and a splash of Tabasco!

Heated, on top of Buckwheat cakes.
F' the Cardiologist. That's some good food.
No, but I would like to.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Scrapple, Ever eaten it? - 02/06/23
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
No, but I would like to.

Who woulda guessed. grin
It’s amazing. Buckwheat flour makes it scrapple. Fried crispy with syrup like Dillonbuck says.
When I was stationed at Dover AFB in Delaware, I would see those Scrapple signs along the highways and kinda figured it would be good.
I guessed it was something like fried corn meal mush and I really like that!
A girl I was dating from the Eastern Shore (Maryland), took me to her folks home and we had Scrapple for breakfast (her mothers' favorite Scrapple recipe).
I lied all the way through breakfast saying how good it was. It was some of the worst tasting schit I have ever eaten.

Never again. eek

Stay away from it Jim!!
Every couple years the wife's cousin comes back home from Pennsylvania for a family rebellion.

Always makes it.

Had it once.

Fugk that nonsense
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Scrapple, Ever eaten it? - 02/06/23
Originally Posted by Beretta_Shooter916
Every couple years the wife's cousin comes back home from Pennsylvania for a family rebellion.

Always makes it.

Had it once.

Fugk that nonsense

Thanks. I think we can all defer safely to your opinion. Another thing now not on my bucket list.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Scrapple, Ever eaten it? - 02/06/23
Rapa brand is good store-bought. Gotta fry it slow to get the right crust on it.

Mother and grandmother used to make it once in a while too. PA people.
Posted By: KillerBee Re: Scrapple, Ever eaten it? - 02/06/23
The first time I had Scrapple was at a family friends Mansion in Maryland on Chesapeake Bay. Being Canadian I had never even heard of it before, it was fried until crunchy for breakfast and I was under the impression it was some sort of fancy food, wasn't bad.

Then goose hunting we went and had a fun day :o)

KB
Posted By: CCCC Re: Scrapple, Ever eaten it? - 02/06/23
When a kid it was regular fare for breakfast with eggs about once a week - somewhat bland but pretty good with a thin crust. It seemed like an acquired taste and grew to like it a lot garnished with a mix of ketchup and hot sauce. The leading brand in our area of southeastern PA was Haberssets - or something like that. Dad would not touch it - said it had been necessary to eat too much of it when a kid in Marcus Hook
Posted By: Mr_Harry Re: Scrapple, Ever eaten it? - 02/06/23
Originally Posted by Gunnison1
As the name describes it’s made from scrap bits of pork and cornmeal along with no telling what else. Spam ain’t got nothing on this stuff.

180 the other direction - it’s got nothing on SPAM.
Honestly, I've never heard of it.
The secret of scrapple is liver.
Most commercial stuff has too much of it. You taste strong hog liver.

Had a guy give me some that had no liver.
It just wasn't right.

Gotta have enough of the liver that you can tell it's there,
it doesn't take much more until the liver becomes dominant.

Small shops and home butchers tend to make the best stuff.
Pretty true with all meat products I guess.
Posted By: RJY66 Re: Scrapple, Ever eaten it? - 02/06/23
Sounds like the double first cousin of what people in the Carolinas and Georgia call "liver pudding". It was comprised of pork liver, meat from the hog head, onions, salt, red pepper, and probably some other spices/ingredients I can't remember. Was always eaten with grits. I loved it but I like liver, although this concoction does not have as strong of a liver taste as the pure stuff. The other ingredients tamp it down quite a bit.

When people killed a hog back in the day they only threw away the bones. Now all that stuff goes into hot dogs and brats.
Posted By: poboy Re: Scrapple, Ever eaten it? - 02/06/23
I would try some from Dillonbuck, seems to know scrapple.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Scrapple, Ever eaten it? - 02/06/23
The couple that owns the auto repair shop I use do their own hog butchering. She makes scrapple, a lot of it, and it must be good because several times I‘ve been in there when folks came in asking about it. Unlike the store brand, she says it freezes just fine.

That Rapa brand comes from Delaware, and is by far the best I’ve had. They make several kinds, Original, Beef, and Bacon; some others too, but I like Original. About five slices of that, some scrambled, and some home fries makes a fine breakfast.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Scrapple, Ever eaten it? - 02/06/23
Love it.
Fried with runny eggs and grits. It’s good with syrup too.

Meadows brand is what we got in PA. Never seen it outside of there.
Down here they have Neese’s brand at a couple stores. It’s pretty good to.
Grew up on it. Fried crisp dip it in egg yolk.
Posted By: steve4102 Re: Scrapple, Ever eaten it? - 02/06/23
Posted By: gunchamp Re: Scrapple, Ever eaten it? - 02/06/23
Originally Posted by Gunnison1
Both sides need to be crispy and we always ate it straight up or with maple syrup
Good chit
Posted By: gunchamp Re: Scrapple, Ever eaten it? - 02/06/23
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Love it.
Fried with runny eggs and grits. It’s good with syrup too.

Meadows brand is what we got in PA. Never seen it outside of there.
Down here they have Neese’s brand at a couple stores. It’s pretty good to.
Meadows is thd best store boughy brand for sure
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Scrapple, Ever eaten it? - 02/06/23
Originally Posted by slumlord
I would like to play scrapple with CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Careful what you wish for!
Posted By: Jevyod Re: Scrapple, Ever eaten it? - 02/06/23
We did our own butchering a number of years, always made scrapple. The stuff that is put in commercial stuff is questionable. We always cooked the bones of the pig after the meat was cut off. After it was cooked we pulled off the scraps of meat and ran them through a grinder. We usually added the liver, but 90%+was just the meat scraps. After you grind them, throw them in a big butcher kettle and add cornmeal. Here is where most people go wrong, they add way to much cornmeal. You want enough to thicken it, not too much more. Add salt and plenty of black pepper. Fry that stuff crispy, and eat it with runny eggs, man that was good!
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Scrapple, Ever eaten it? - 02/06/23
Used to order it every time I visited kinfolk in New Joisey. It was a standard at diner breakfasts. I wouldn't walk a mile for it, but it was just fine. Not nearly as salty as Spam, so it's got that in its favor. I'd order it again.
Grew up on Shad row and Banner sausage here.

Tried Scrapple a few times... never took to it.
Posted By: Pat85 Re: Scrapple, Ever eaten it? - 02/06/23
Originally Posted by RJY66
When people killed a hog back in the day they only threw away the bones.

Yes, the intestines were used for sausage casings. Stomachs were stuffed with cabbage, potato’s and smoked sausage, sewed up and cooked in the oven.
my wholw family grew up making it and eating it. can be made from any meat you want to use. i make my own pork scrapple . it traditionally is made from all the extra parts of a hog but i've seen it made from deer and beef. i have made 200 plus pounds of sausage to sell and used bone in boston butts. i will freeze the bones from them and make scrapple from boiling them down. its great stuff if done right.here is some i made on the stove. once its cold slice and fry.[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Scrapple, Ever eaten it? - 02/06/23
Scrapple is just PA goetta.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Scrapple, Ever eaten it? - 02/06/23
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Grew up on Shad row and Banner sausage here.

Tried Scrapple a few times... never took to it.

Used to eat scrapple as a kid, loved that stuff fried up right and crispy. Shad roe and herring roe with scrambled eggs were a favorite too.

We got more herring roe than shad roe, had a couple of tidal creeks with good herring runs, we'd dip net herring with chicken wire dip nets as kids. Fun times, if you went at night, you never knew what you might get. Herring, shad, catfish, bass, even a few eels.
Posted By: Troutnut Re: Scrapple, Ever eaten it? - 02/06/23
It's really good if it's made right. Used to help family make it every fall when we butchered hogs. All but a lost art around here anymore
Posted By: smokepole Re: Scrapple, Ever eaten it? - 02/06/23
Originally Posted by Troutnut
It's really good if it's made right. Used to help family make it every fall when we butchered hogs. All but a lost art around here anymore

Haven't seen any in stores in decades, probably don't sell it in these parts.
Posted By: himmelrr Re: Scrapple, Ever eaten it? - 02/06/23
LOVE IT! I grew up in PA so it was a staple around the house. Just like anything, there is good scrapple and bad. Tony’s Meat in Williamsport PA has the best IMO. I grab some everytime zi go back home.

https://tonysdelipa.com/
Posted By: Troutnut Re: Scrapple, Ever eaten it? - 02/06/23
Anyone in Virginia especially western VA Gore's is a small butcher shop in Stephens city / Winchester. They have the only store bought scrapple I'll eat.
Never have, but I would. It's just not a thing when I grew up and it's not a thing where I am now.
I tried it once, it gave me a gall bladder attack and put me in the hospital in Hershey PA.

I'm not a slow learner, I'll never eat that crap again.
Scrapple, egg, and cheese sandwich. Breakfast of champions!
Posted By: ROMAC Re: Scrapple, Ever eaten it? - 02/06/23
I usually like it, but I have had some really bad commercially produced brands.

I like the venison scrapple my butcher makes for me every year the best. I usually get about 20 pounds which last me the whole year, including sharing some with friends.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
I am originally from Virginia

rural Virginia

6 brothers and sisters

of course we ate Scrapple, and everything else that was cheap at the time
Posted By: Edwin264 Re: Scrapple, Ever eaten it? - 02/06/23
The scrapple I had was from Green’s in Zabcikville, Texas. I liked it
Yes, but we call it liver sausage. On cornbread or toast covered with molasses is my favorite way to eat it
Posted By: KillerBee Re: Scrapple, Ever eaten it? - 02/06/23
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
I tried it once, it gave me a gall bladder attack and put me in the hospital in Hershey PA.

I'm not a slow learner, I'll never eat that crap again.

LOL
Sounds like some folk just call random sausage scrapple

And it’s not even in the same universe as spam. Spam’s for polynesians.
Posted By: 43Shooter Re: Scrapple, Ever eaten it? - 02/06/23
Fried crisp with eggs over easy and biscuits and/or grits.
Posted By: Prwlr Re: Scrapple, Ever eaten it? - 02/06/23
The wife introduced Scrapple to me after we wed. Still eating it 38 years later, yum. I hear it's made from all the scraps that they won't put in Spam..... grin
Originally Posted by kennymauser
When I was stationed at Dover AFB in Delaware, I would see those Scrapple signs along the highways and kinda figured it would be good.
I guessed it was something like fried corn meal mush and I really like that!
A girl I was dating from the Eastern Shore (Maryland), took me to her folks home and we had Scrapple for breakfast (her mothers' favorite Scrapple recipe).
I lied all the way through breakfast saying how good it was. It was some of the worst tasting schit I have ever eaten.

Never again. eek

Stay away from it Jim!!

After reading all of the posts about Scrapple I think I just might give it another try. I have never seen it for sale around here though!
Posted By: akpls Re: Scrapple, Ever eaten it? - 02/06/23
I made a small batch just last week. 3 lbs pork, 1 lb liver, 3 cups cornmeal, 1 cup buckwheat flour, etc gives me enough for 10 small (4×6?) aluminum loaf pans. Each pan is enough for 2 meals for myself since no one else here will eat it. I've also made it with moose and caribou in the past.
I grew up in rural SE PA and we made it every fall at butchering time. It was made in a huge cast iron kettle and ladled into large metal loaf pans to set up. Every hog scrap went into that kettle...nothing went to waste. Surprisingly, I found scrapple being sold in a Smith's Market (Kroger) in Santa Fe, NM, but have never found it anywhere else other than the Mid-Atlantic region.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Scrapple, Ever eaten it? - 02/06/23
Had it when I worked in D.C. and liked it. Made some of my own a few years ago; wasn't bad.
Posted By: bpas105 Re: Scrapple, Ever eaten it? - 02/06/23
I've tried it several times, but just can't find a liking to it. I can eat pudding, but not scrapple.
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
It’s amazing. Buckwheat flour makes it scrapple. Fried crispy with syrup like Dillonbuck says.

I like it this way too. My buddy will put powdered sugar on it.
Posted By: Ken_L Re: Scrapple, Ever eaten it? - 02/06/23
Had it yesterday with eggs! Put a little maple syrup on it that I bought from Danny L and it's perfect.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Scrapple, Ever eaten it? - 02/06/23
While traveling through PA in 2019 I had it at the Dutch Kitchen restaurant in Frackville. It wasn't bad, probably would have been better with a little maple syrup.
Posted By: jameister Re: Scrapple, Ever eaten it? - 02/06/23
I eat chorizo with pork snouts and salivary glands,
I eat wild duck and goose and livers therefrom.

I eat deer and elk liver and tongues.

I eat roadkill deer if I hit it, and

frogs and coots and pickled pigs feet.

but never again, after once in pennsylvania, will I eat SCRAPPLE...

to me, it was like a turd took a [bleep].

bleep = sh****t
Posted By: 7mmbuster Re: Scrapple, Ever eaten it? - 02/06/23
Holy smokes people, I was born and raised in Pennsyltucky, and you asked if I’ve eaten scrapple and if I liked it?!! eek confused
Come the freak on!
I’ve probably eaten close to a ton by now. Do I like it?
Do bears crap in the woods? grin
I count scrapple, right there with Rabbit, Squirrel, and Whitetail hunting as one of the unique blessings that I’ve enjoyed growing up in this wonderful area!
A while back there was a thread about butchering pigs, which was also one of my chores as part of The Oldham clan.
We always killed 12 or 14 Thanksgiving Weekend (the patriarchs were superstitious).
The Monday fallowing was the first day of buck season.
This was a big deal for us when I was young.
Like I said, we did a dozen or so every year the Friday morning after. A good crack with a .22 Mag between the eyes, followed by slitting the throat.
Then we’d winch them onto The Old Man’s rollback, taking them to my Uncle’s shop to begin the job.
The whole fam damily, usually 18 to 24 of us did the process.
We tried to work quick, so we’d have time to shoot our rifles in on Sunday.
To be continued...
7mm
Posted By: akpls Re: Scrapple, Ever eaten it? - 02/06/23
We always fried ours in lard and never ate it with maple syrup, only ground horseradish. I still fry with lard, but occasionally will put syrup on it. I once saw somebody in a restaurant put ketchup on it. That was disgusting to me! The livermush in NC seemed pretty much like the same thing as scrapple, just with a heavier liver taste. The goetta I've tried had a different texture, but the taste was close.
Of course you did you Peanut Hill Ridge Runner!🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Caant hep it. It wheres you was bornd!
Posted By: Dobegrant Re: Scrapple, Ever eaten it? - 02/06/23
Wow grew up in Pa but haven’t thought about scrapple for a long time.
Like I said, we worked quick. Buck season was important, and getting them guns shot was another thing we loved to do together!
The latest we got done was Sunday morning. We always made the time.
We made scrapple and cracklins, and bacon. The girls did most of the cutting and wrapping while we guys went hunting.
Between the 5 or 6 separate small families, the spoils were divided, according to who wanted and ordered what.
I was only 12 when I started taking part. Younger than that, i’d have been in the way.
I remember these things fondly, in spite of the work. I got married and joined the Army at 18. When I got home in ‘89, we only did it 3 or 4 more times.
Our patriarchs aged, and the tradition died out.
But I remember it as a great part of my upbringing, in spite of the work involved.
7mm
Come on 7mm,
You aren't going to just ignore that?

It's a shame the traditions are dying, I hate it.

One of my biggest regrets is not being able to raise our girls on a small farm
with a stay at home Mom. So much is lost, so much never learned.
“From the halls of Chestnut Ridge High School,
To the shores of Bubble Gum Bay.
We will fight our classes battles with spit balls mud and clay!
We will fight for lunch and recess, and to keep our honor clean!
We are proud to claim the title of Ridge Runners!
The last line don’t rime, but hell, what’s Bedford got? grin
Honestly, if I had it to do over, and pick & choose, I honestly don’t think I’d change anything!
Wonderful parents, a great childhood, (growing up in an auto salvage gave some great dividends), and a believe in God & Jesus Christ!
What in the world more could anybody ask for?
7mm
Posted By: KYFRED Re: Scrapple, Ever eaten it? - 02/06/23
South Jersey and it is one of the few thigns I miss. Probably not as good as I remember, but fried with syrup and a sunny side egg was hard to beat.
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
“From the halls of Chestnut Ridge High School,
To the shores of Bubble Gum Bay.
We will fight our classes battles with spit balls mud and clay!
We will fight for lunch and recess, and to keep our honor clean!
We are proud to claim the title of Ridge Runners!
The last line don’t rime, but hell, what’s Bedford got? grin
Honestly, if I had it to do over, and pick & choose, I honestly don’t think I’d change anything!
Wonderful parents, a great childhood, (growing up in an auto salvage gave some great dividends), and a believe in God & Jesus Christ!
What in the world more could anybody ask for?
7mm

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Never did understand school rivalry. Especially in adults.
Mom had a house, that determined my school. Nothing else.
I went there because The Folks and The Law made me.
The teachers were there for $$$$.

Just ain't seeing a reason to get excited. Other than ball busting.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Scrapple, Ever eaten it? - 02/07/23
Originally Posted by slumlord
Silly fellow confessing that he is a masochist.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Scrapple, Ever eaten it? - 02/07/23
I like scrapple, fried up crisp.
Posted By: moosemike Re: Scrapple, Ever eaten it? - 02/07/23
Often
Posted By: Dale K Re: Scrapple, Ever eaten it? - 02/07/23
I lived in Montgomery and Lancaster counties for about 20 years. Love scrapple. My daughter still lives in Berks county so I make sure to stock up when I visit that corner of the state. Hatfield is my brand of choice.

My fiancé gave me a book about scrapple. Interesting read.

Dale
© 24hourcampfire