Home
Just saw this in the news. It happened close to home. I sure hate to hear about the casualties.

‘No survivors’ in Black Hawk helicopter crash near Huntsville
by: Kait Newsum, Jess Grotjahn
Posted: Feb 15, 2023 / 03:24 PM CST
Updated: Feb 15, 2023 / 05:49 PM CST

UPDATE: Pentagon officials confirmed with CBS News that this helicopter was a part of a training mission with the Tennessee National Guard.

MADISON COUNTY, Ala. (WHNT) — Several emergency crews responded to a military helicopter crash near Highway 53 and Burwell Road.

Don Webster with HEMSI confirmed with News 19 that there were no survivors in the crash. The Madison County Coroner Tyler Berryhill told News 19 that he had been called to the scene.

ederal Aviation Agency (FAA) officials confirmed that a military helicopter was involved in the crash. They could not release any details about the origin of the flight.

ALEA identified the helicopter as a UH-60, which is a Black Hawk.

From WHNT 19 News
Sad to hear.
Very sad.
RIP to them and comfort to their families.
RIP Freedom Fighters!
https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRtQreY4/

Came down FAST and hard
Originally Posted by slumlord

Damn, that was no doubt unsurvivable. God bless their families and loved ones. RIP.
Looked inverted to me?
God Bless the Warriors.
Hate seeing stuff like that.
My boy is in Alabama training on Apaches right now.
RIP!
Damm ....
Hard way to die.
Families gotta be struck hard by this.

Kinda wonder if the pilot put it into a dive to keep up rotor speed and couldn't get nose/flare up to start autorotation braking.

Lotta Blackhawks in the mid 80,s had transmission/ rotor head failures and went straight down like that.

😔😔😔
terrible
Hate to hear about this, RIP
I wonder what had to happen to get that helicopter into that attitude ? If a blade came off I could see it but an auto rotation is the typical decent with zero engine power. Something catastrophic had to of happened to the main rotor system or airframe to cause that.

kwg
Originally Posted by renegade50
Damm ....
Hard way to die.

Kinda wonder if the pilot put it into a dive to keep up rotor speed and couldn't get nose/flare up to start autorotation braking.

Lotta Blackhawks in the mid 80,s had transmission/ rotor head failures and went straight down like that.

😔😔😔

They were grounded for about 8 of my 15 months in ROK during the mid-80s.
Madison County helicopter crash could have killed many people, resident says: ‘That pilot was a hero’

Madison County helicopter crash could have killed many people, resident says: ‘That pilot was a hero’Madison County helicopter crash could have killed many people, resident says: ‘That pilot was a hero’
Updated: Feb. 15, 2023, 9:53 p.m.|Published: Feb. 15, 2023, 9:45 p.m.

Susan Shepard heard the helicopter loudly buzzing over her home in Harvest.

Minutes later, the UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter crashed on a Madison County highway, killing the two Tennessee National Guardsman aboard the aircraft.

Shepard was in her home in the Burwell Gardens subdivision when her alarm went off at 2:58 p.m. Wednesday to remind her to pick up her daughter from Sparkman High School.

“All of the sudden, we heard this loud noise. It sounded like a dragster car, or like when a tractor-trailer shifts down or puts on its brakes,” Shepard told AL.com.

As she headed out the door, her neighbor told her a helicopter just crashed.

“I turned to right and turned out of our subdivision when I saw the big, black plume of smoke,” Shepard recalled.

The Harvest resident turned onto Madison County Highway 53 when she saw the burnt wreckage.

“Everyone was pulled over and stopped, so I pulled over and stopped and took a few videos of it as well,” she said.

“It was heartbreaking,” Shepard added. “I could tell from what I saw that there were no survivors.”

The Tennessee National Guard said two of its soldiers were killed in the crash, which occurred during a routine training mission.

While the investigation into the crash is in its early stages, Shepard speculated that since she heard the helicopter over her house minutes before the crash that the pilot maneuvered so he could avoid casualties on the ground.

“I think that that pilot was a hero and probably saved a lot of lives,” she said.

From al.com
Bad news! A close friend of mine was an Army ranger for 5 years. During his time in the service, he experienced three Helo crashes, two in one year! one, the last one , was bad enough to require back surgery and a medical disability for the Army. Helo's are wonderful blessing and terrible curse. They often do not crash well! As a pilot friend of mine stated when asked which platform he preferred to fly, Helos vs Fixed wing aircraft his response was simple to understand. He stated he preferred fixed wing, because that type of aircraft wants to be in the Air, a helo fights itself and you have to make it be Airborne.
Originally Posted by Teeder

Teeder our office is next to Hunt Field (Rucker) where the Apaches fly in and out of regularly. I park 50 yards from the strip and watch them often. Its pretty cool.
Originally Posted by stevelyn
Originally Posted by renegade50
Damm ....
Hard way to die.

😔😔😔

They were grounded for about 8 of my 15 months in ROK during the mid-80s.
1st time I flew as passenger from point A to B on a Blackhawk was 88 89 in Korea.
The rep as crashhawk was pretty world wide by then.
Kinda a morbid joke amongst 11B,s and someone would always say it.
"Too late to update your SGLI now if you haven't already"

Felt more comfortable back then honestly on ROK Army Hueys.
I remember the 1st slingload with a Hummer under one with a Driver and me as TC riding along.
Nervous as hell the entire flight up by the Imjim.
Never so glad to drop that hummer and go side ways about 75 yds and get off that bird and on the ground.
Went on many point A to B flights on Blackhawks worldwide the 3 times I got assigned to the 101st.
Got comfortable flying on Blackhawks as time went by and mech mods done to them addressing problems back then.

Something seriously went wrong with that Bird that went down in that clip slumlord posted.
😔😔😔

Gotta be horrible for the families of those guys.

RIP........
bad news. One of my Alabama nephews flew with them for years
I always laugh at those "The pilot was a hero" statements. As if the pilot carefully timed when the catastrophic failure would happen. Or was able to control it after it happened.

That does not diminish the tragedy of it, mind you. I'm not laughing at the dead.
Yeah, that's bad stuff, sorry to hear that. RIP.

My daughter-in-law, and the mother of my grand daughter, is a crew chief on a black hawk for the WV NG. I've never really worried about this sort of thing, but it happens. It'll make me think twice now.
Showed the video to my daughter (former Blackhawk pilot) and son-in-law (crew chief) and they both felt he must have lost part of the rotor. I, who have no expertise whatsoever, thought the same thing when I saw it. GD
Originally Posted by ctsmith
Originally Posted by Teeder

Teeder our office is next to Hunt Field (Rucker) where the Apaches fly in and out of regularly. I park 50 yards from the strip and watch them often. Its pretty cool.

Awesome!

We were down in September for a few days and were watching them. He just started on the Apaches last month.
Originally Posted by StoneCutter

My daughter-in-law, and the mother of my grand daughter, is a crew chief on a black hawk for the WV NG. I've never really worried about this sort of thing, but it happens. It'll make me think twice now.

I was just talking to my son about this and he said my DIL heard about it as soon as it happened. She said that they're speculating maybe a tail rotor failure. She said that the "Crash Hawks" have a reputation for that. She also said that her unit just recently got new birds. Their old ones were from the 1990's.
Originally Posted by greydog
Showed the video to my daughter (former Blackhawk pilot) and son-in-law (crew chief) and they both felt he must have lost part of the rotor. I, who have no expertise whatsoever, thought the same thing when I saw it. GD
I have no logged time in a Blackhawk and 1000 hours in a Huey. We transitioned from the Huey to the Blackhawk in the 90's in the Iowa Guard. In the early stages of the airframe, the sink elevator which is controlled by the SAS system and a computer would put the sink elevator into the approach/landing mode with no input from the pilot. That is when it got the reputation as the "crashhawk" or the "lawn dart". To the best of my knowledge they got that worked out real early in the development. We are talking A models in the late 1970's and early 80's.

I did a Blackhawk maintenance school at Indian Town Gap in 2001. Those main rotor hubs are poured, forged and machined titanium and have a very good history of being hell for stout. The pins that hold the blades to the main rotor hub are also pretty stout along with the blade grips. The rotor hubs also have droop stops to keep a blade from coming down and cutting off the tail boom. Something catastrophic had to of happened. I hope we find out soon. I'm sure the birds will all be grounded and inspections due as soon as they figure out what the issue is.

kwg
They have all the parts and an accessible debris field. Those are two main elements in accident investigation. They'll figure it out.

I was just talking to my son about this and he said my DIL heard about it as soon as it happened. She said that they're speculating maybe a tail rotor failure. She said that the "Crash Hawks" have a reputation for that. She also said that her unit just recently got new birds. Their old ones were from the 1990's.

The tail rotors have grip inserts (cones) that have to be torqued over a period of time. During the tail rotor rebuild (phase maintenance) you put in the inserts (cones) that go between the blade grips and the tail rotor hub and they have to be torqued to a specified number (I don't recall the number at this moment) and then after a resting period (usually overnight) they have to be retorqued again. It's a bit drawn out but it's not difficult.

They get retorqued after the first 5 hours of flight time and then retorqued every 100 hours until the next phase (500 hours) when everything comes apart again for inspection. I always thought this was an unusual way of attaching a tail rotor blade but there were several such inserts that were used on the Huey as well with very good results. Is it possible that a blade came off because of improper torque ? (maintenance mistake) Maybe. Big maybe.

I tend to think it was a blade that had a flaw and one of the tail rotor blades came loose or separated and now the tail rotor system is out of balance. I could not tell via the video if the tail rotor gear box and blades were still attached to the bird. Most of the time they completely separate in such a case. I'm sure it will get figured out before too many days pass. Unfortunately, 2 pilots lost their life. The upside is there were no passengers and no crew chief to add to the casualty numbers.

kwg
Originally Posted by kwg020

The tail rotors have grip inserts (cones) that have to be torqued over a period of time. During the tail rotor rebuild (phase maintenance) you put in the inserts (cones) that go between the blade grips and the tail rotor hub and they have to be torqued to a specified number (I don't recall the number at this moment) and then after a resting period (usually overnight) they have to be retorqued again. It's a bit drawn out but it's not difficult.

They get retorqued after the first 5 hours of flight time and then retorqued every 100 hours until the next phase (500 hours) when everything comes apart again for inspection. I always thought this was an unusual way of attaching a tail rotor blade but there were several such inserts that were used on the Huey as well with very good results. Is it possible that a blade came off because of improper torque ? (maintenance mistake) Maybe. Big maybe.

I tend to think it was a blade that had a flaw and one of the tail rotor blades came loose or separated and now the tail rotor system is out of balance. I could not tell via the video if the tail rotor gear box and blades were still attached to the bird. Most of the time they completely separate in such a case. I'm sure it will get figured out before too many days pass. Unfortunately, 2 pilots lost their life. The upside is there were no passengers and no crew chief to add to the casualty numbers.

kwg

kwg020, thanks for that detailed explanation. I really appreciate to hear real knowledge from people who know what they're talking about because I'm totally ignorant about this sort of thing. Thanks.
That crash didn't look like a tail rotor failure. It looked more like a total loss of lift and attitude control. GD
When I was a flight medic, my unit went from Hueys to Blackhawks (known as crashhawks) and the Viet Nam era pilots were retiring. I asked to be removed from flight status. It didn’t help that I was in a bird that had a tree strike at Ft Leonard Wood during NoE training, a close call with a Cessna at several 1000’ while pilot was in MOPP gear and a new pilot bounced a Huey off the pad from about 15-20’ up.

Good Times
My first thought was wondering if they were trying to loop it and snapped the blades off f it!

Terrible loss.

Mike
It crashed about a half mile from a buddy’s house. He texted me right after and said he’d heard the crash. He’s a former U2 & F/A-18 pilot & he said it sounded like they tried to pull a bunch of collective before the impact like they were trying to autorotate.

I’m glad to hear there were only two on board, there could have been a lot more deaths. God speed.
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
It crashed about a half mile from a buddy’s house. He texted me right after and said he’d heard the crash. He’s a former U2 & F/A-18 pilot & he said it sounded like they tried to pull a bunch of collective before the impact like they were trying to autorotate.

I’m glad to hear there were only two on board, there could have been a lot more deaths. God speed.
You can hear that in the tiktok link

Bet no one has opened that
I opened it. Loud crash.

Ron
Never fly in any aircraft where the wing is moving faster than the fuselage.
© 24hourcampfire