Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Just saw this in the news. It happened close to home. I sure hate to hear about the casualties.

‘No survivors’ in Black Hawk helicopter crash near Huntsville
by: Kait Newsum, Jess Grotjahn
Posted: Feb 15, 2023 / 03:24 PM CST
Updated: Feb 15, 2023 / 05:49 PM CST

UPDATE: Pentagon officials confirmed with CBS News that this helicopter was a part of a training mission with the Tennessee National Guard.

MADISON COUNTY, Ala. (WHNT) — Several emergency crews responded to a military helicopter crash near Highway 53 and Burwell Road.

Don Webster with HEMSI confirmed with News 19 that there were no survivors in the crash. The Madison County Coroner Tyler Berryhill told News 19 that he had been called to the scene.

ederal Aviation Agency (FAA) officials confirmed that a military helicopter was involved in the crash. They could not release any details about the origin of the flight.

ALEA identified the helicopter as a UH-60, which is a Black Hawk.

From WHNT 19 News

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Sad to hear.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very sad.
RIP to them and comfort to their families.

The cow is where you are, the bull is where you want to be.

No one gets something for nothing unless someone else got nothing for something.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
RIP Freedom Fighters!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord

Damn, that was no doubt unsurvivable. God bless their families and loved ones. RIP.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Looked inverted to me?

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
God Bless the Warriors.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hate seeing stuff like that.
My boy is in Alabama training on Apaches right now.
RIP!

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Damm ....
Hard way to die.
Families gotta be struck hard by this.

Kinda wonder if the pilot put it into a dive to keep up rotor speed and couldn't get nose/flare up to start autorotation braking.

Lotta Blackhawks in the mid 80,s had transmission/ rotor head failures and went straight down like that.

😔😔😔

Last edited by renegade50; 02/16/23.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
terrible

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Hate to hear about this, RIP

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wonder what had to happen to get that helicopter into that attitude ? If a blade came off I could see it but an auto rotation is the typical decent with zero engine power. Something catastrophic had to of happened to the main rotor system or airframe to cause that.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by renegade50
Damm ....
Hard way to die.

Kinda wonder if the pilot put it into a dive to keep up rotor speed and couldn't get nose/flare up to start autorotation braking.

Lotta Blackhawks in the mid 80,s had transmission/ rotor head failures and went straight down like that.

😔😔😔

They were grounded for about 8 of my 15 months in ROK during the mid-80s.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Madison County helicopter crash could have killed many people, resident says: ‘That pilot was a hero’

Madison County helicopter crash could have killed many people, resident says: ‘That pilot was a hero’Madison County helicopter crash could have killed many people, resident says: ‘That pilot was a hero’
Updated: Feb. 15, 2023, 9:53 p.m.|Published: Feb. 15, 2023, 9:45 p.m.

Susan Shepard heard the helicopter loudly buzzing over her home in Harvest.

Minutes later, the UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter crashed on a Madison County highway, killing the two Tennessee National Guardsman aboard the aircraft.

Shepard was in her home in the Burwell Gardens subdivision when her alarm went off at 2:58 p.m. Wednesday to remind her to pick up her daughter from Sparkman High School.

“All of the sudden, we heard this loud noise. It sounded like a dragster car, or like when a tractor-trailer shifts down or puts on its brakes,” Shepard told AL.com.

As she headed out the door, her neighbor told her a helicopter just crashed.

“I turned to right and turned out of our subdivision when I saw the big, black plume of smoke,” Shepard recalled.

The Harvest resident turned onto Madison County Highway 53 when she saw the burnt wreckage.

“Everyone was pulled over and stopped, so I pulled over and stopped and took a few videos of it as well,” she said.

“It was heartbreaking,” Shepard added. “I could tell from what I saw that there were no survivors.”

The Tennessee National Guard said two of its soldiers were killed in the crash, which occurred during a routine training mission.

While the investigation into the crash is in its early stages, Shepard speculated that since she heard the helicopter over her house minutes before the crash that the pilot maneuvered so he could avoid casualties on the ground.

“I think that that pilot was a hero and probably saved a lot of lives,” she said.

From al.com

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Bad news! A close friend of mine was an Army ranger for 5 years. During his time in the service, he experienced three Helo crashes, two in one year! one, the last one , was bad enough to require back surgery and a medical disability for the Army. Helo's are wonderful blessing and terrible curse. They often do not crash well! As a pilot friend of mine stated when asked which platform he preferred to fly, Helos vs Fixed wing aircraft his response was simple to understand. He stated he preferred fixed wing, because that type of aircraft wants to be in the Air, a helo fights itself and you have to make it be Airborne.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Teeder
My boy is in Alabama training on Apaches right now.

Teeder our office is next to Hunt Field (Rucker) where the Apaches fly in and out of regularly. I park 50 yards from the strip and watch them often. Its pretty cool.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by stevelyn
Originally Posted by renegade50
Damm ....
Hard way to die.

😔😔😔

They were grounded for about 8 of my 15 months in ROK during the mid-80s.
1st time I flew as passenger from point A to B on a Blackhawk was 88 89 in Korea.
The rep as crashhawk was pretty world wide by then.
Kinda a morbid joke amongst 11B,s and someone would always say it.
"Too late to update your SGLI now if you haven't already"

Felt more comfortable back then honestly on ROK Army Hueys.
I remember the 1st slingload with a Hummer under one with a Driver and me as TC riding along.
Nervous as hell the entire flight up by the Imjim.
Never so glad to drop that hummer and go side ways about 75 yds and get off that bird and on the ground.
Went on many point A to B flights on Blackhawks worldwide the 3 times I got assigned to the 101st.
Got comfortable flying on Blackhawks as time went by and mech mods done to them addressing problems back then.

Something seriously went wrong with that Bird that went down in that clip slumlord posted.
😔😔😔

Gotta be horrible for the families of those guys.

RIP........

Last edited by renegade50; 02/16/23.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
bad news. One of my Alabama nephews flew with them for years

Sam......

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I always laugh at those "The pilot was a hero" statements. As if the pilot carefully timed when the catastrophic failure would happen. Or was able to control it after it happened.

That does not diminish the tragedy of it, mind you. I'm not laughing at the dead.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

132 members (300_savage, 1973cb450, 338reddog, 204guy, 338rcm, 907brass, 20 invisible), 1,771 guests, and 1,057 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,050
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.