Home
Posted By: hanco Are you superstitious??? - 02/19/23
I guess I am, don’t like 13, black cat crosses the road, I’m turning around. I never stepped on cracks, no way I’d walk under a ladder and I hung pipe off the SOB’s all my adult life. I know it’s silly but my grandma put all that in my head.

Any thing you all are superstitious about.
Not really.

But why chance it! laugh
Green color race cars are a no-no.

Wearing a yellow shirt at a rodeo is bad luck.

Laying your hat on the bed means worse luck.
Posted By: Teal Re: Are you superstitious??? - 02/19/23
No. I'm regular stitious.
Posted By: JOG Re: Are you superstitious??? - 02/19/23
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
But why chance it! laugh

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean someone isn't actually out to get you.
Posted By: Ringman Re: Are you superstitious??? - 02/19/23
Last year I hunted for about a week without seeing a deer. My wife told me, "Why don't you forget that new rifle and use your game getter?" So the next day I took my 8mm and got a buck. Someone suggested I re-name the new rifle to "Luky Norma" so I did. I got the doe on the next hunt.
Posted By: BlueDuck Re: Are you superstitious??? - 02/19/23
Not me. I got my lucky shirt on.
Posted By: hanco Re: Are you superstitious??? - 02/19/23
I have a feeling there is going to be more things I won’t do.
Posted By: horse1 Re: Are you superstitious??? - 02/19/23
If you're going fishing and certainly if you're already fishing you NEVER mention that you think the wind has gone down.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Are you superstitious??? - 02/19/23
Originally Posted by hanco
I guess I am, don’t like 13, black cat crosses the road, I’m turning around. I never stepped on cracks, no way I’d walk under a ladder and I hung pipe off the SOB’s all my adult life. I know it’s silly but my grandma put all that in my head.

I never put my torch away until after the air test, so, yes I am.
Posted By: KC Re: Are you superstitious??? - 02/19/23
NO. However several years ago I was confronted with a feeling that made me think twice about that.

A friend and I planned to climb the ice falls in Officers Gulch, East of Vail. We had heard on the news, that on Wednesday someone had died while climbing in that area.

We hiked in on Saturday and began hiking up the debris fan at the bottom of the gully. It was covered in fresh snow and halfway up the debris fan we saw where someone had been digging in the snow. When we looked into the hole, we saw a climbing rope. Apparently, someone had been hit by an avalanche while climbing and this is where they came to a stop. We figured that this was the remnants of the climbing accident that had claimed a life earlier in the week. Seeing that rope in the bottom of the hole and realizing how it came to be there was a sobering start to the climb, for both of us.

I lead the first pitch, which was uneventful until I nearly reached the top and peered over the rim. There in front of me was and ice axe and an ice screw stuck in the ice. We surmised that the previous climber had just about reached the top and was placing his protection before attempting to climb over the rim, when he got hit by the avalanche.

I finished the pitch and set the belay right next to the axe and screw then my buddy climbed up after me. He collected both pieces of gear and we climbed the final pitch, then rapelled down.

There's a common joke within the climbing community. It says "Climb Safely. If you die, we split your gear." When we reached the bottom, my climbing partner asked me which piece of gear I wanted. I thought about and said that I didn't want either. It just didn't feel right.

While I was a Marine, I was exposed to Navy superstition and in the Navy, there's a superstition that it's bad luck to possess anything made of steel that was owned by a man who has died. I never gave it much thought until I was confronted with the choice.
Posted By: RHClark Re: Are you superstitious??? - 02/19/23
I guess a little. I didn't want to get my last surgery on Friday the 13th.
Was gonna say NO and poke fun.
Then I read KC's post, and remembered.

Worked for a company that also had tow trucks 20 years ago.

There was a bad wreck, and they had towed the Mustang in, parked it near
my truck. Another guy and I walked over to look at it. Not too tore up,
it had partly burned. The roof was cut off, surgical wipes everywhere inside.
They had to cut the passengers foot off the extract the body. Both seats were
singed, except where the passengers had been.

And in the little cubby in front of the dash?
A Buck 110 in a pristine sheath!
Jerry said "Wanna nice knife? The garage Rats will get it"

I left it for them.
Not really superstitious but I keep one "superstition", or maybe it's a wives' tale, whatever.
My mother (who lived to be 101) once told me to never give a knife as a gift, it would "cut the relationship". So I don't do that, if I give you have a knife I require you give me a penny or whatever change you happen to have.
Yes....but I can't think of anything specific.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Are you superstitious??? - 02/19/23
is being a firm believer in karma being superstitious?

if so, then I am
Not really, knock on wood.
Not really but I ALWAYS carry a pair of nail clippers, a buck-eye nut, and a tiny aluminum cross in my left front pants pocket. Don't walk under ladders , do go in and out of the house from the same door, avoid stepping on cracks.
No bananas on the boat or 50.00 bills, I run the same pink and white Islander off the starboard planer rod (Wahoo and Bluefin slayer).

So, I guess not. Just a few little things..
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: Are you superstitious??? - 02/19/23
Originally Posted by Tarheel101
Not really superstitious but I keep one "superstition", or maybe it's a wives' tale, whatever.
My mother (who lived to be 101) once told me to never give a knife as a gift, it would "cut the relationship". So I don't do that, if I give you have a knife I require you give me a penny or whatever change you happen to have.

That was a "plot point" in the movie, The Edge, starring Anthony Hopkins and Alec Baldwin. An excellent movie, by the way. You can watch it free-gratis-for-nuthin' on You Tube, if you want.

L.W.
Posted By: MPat70 Re: Are you superstitious??? - 02/19/23
The only thing I'm superstitious about is a gun pointed at me. Loaded, unloaded, laying on the table, shooting bench, etc... & of course when someone is holding it.

It just give me the Willies when I notice a gun pointed at me.....
I'm not superstitious but I'm a little stitious.
Never release a fish on the side of the boat you are fishing. It will tell the others you are trying to catch to not bite.

True story
I don’t keep brass from shots I miss.

Yeah it happens, so shut up.

P
Posted By: 7mm_Loco Re: Are you superstitious??? - 02/19/23
Oh Hell Yes... And it's served me well so far...
Posted By: carrollco Re: Are you superstitious??? - 02/19/23
Tar Heel 101: I’m the same way about knives except
it was my paternal grandfather who taught me. Said just giving someone a knife without an exchange of coin(s) “would cut your friendship “.
Posted By: hanco Re: Are you superstitious??? - 02/19/23
If someone hands you an open knife, hand it back open, do not close it, forgot about that one.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Are you superstitious??? - 02/19/23
Originally Posted by Ringman
Last year I hunted for about a week without seeing a deer. My wife told me, "Why don't you forget that new rifle and use your game getter?" So the next day I took my 8mm and got a buck. Someone suggested I re-name the new rifle to "Luky Norma" so I did. I got the doe on the next hunt.
Pics?
By and large the captains and mates on the tugs I was on were well educated, intelligent, tech savvy...men to admire. But I couldn't help but notice some little things...cups are hung on hooks usually, and they all had to face the same way, it wasn't just about neatness and order I was told, firmly. I never recall hearing anybody whistling. Discussions of weather and sea state of course by the deck gang are a necessary part of the days work, however woe be the ignorant engineer who should drop a careless remark like, I think she's starting to lay down a little...they take that very seriously indeed. I don't ever remember seeing a banana in the galley in eight years. They hired their first female cooks after I left, but there was a rumor that a bonus was paid to that first crew. Supposedly the Operations Manager asked the Captain, you surely are not superstitious about taking her are you? The Captain cleverly replied of course not, but I am reluctant to be seen as the one breaking tradition.
Posted By: dassa Re: Are you superstitious??? - 02/19/23
Not at all. My wife and I intentionally got married on Friday the 13 th.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Are you superstitious??? - 02/19/23
I never diffuse nuclear warheads on Friday the 13th.
Posted By: hosfly Re: Are you superstitious??? - 02/19/23
I broke a mirror once but a lawyer bud of mine got it reduced from 7yrs yrs of bad luck to probation
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Green color race cars are a no-no.

I was always told Green Harley Davidsons are bad luck..
Posted By: goalie Re: Are you superstitious??? - 02/19/23
I'm a goalie. Kinda makes the question rhetorical
Posted By: 7mmbuster Re: Are you superstitious??? - 02/19/23
Not particularly except for when I’m hunting.
I have a couple superstitions pertaining to ammo.
It’s supposed to be bad luck to count your shells, as the hunting gods will hold you in contempt for being so confident!
But The Old Man also told me to take an odd number of shells.
I grab a handful and look to make sure it’s not even.
7mm
Posted By: dassa Re: Are you superstitious??? - 02/20/23
Originally Posted by goalie
Hey, question for you. At the start of each period, the goalie scuffs up the ice in the crease. Is that a sort of superstition, or is there a practical reason for it?
Posted By: goalie Re: Are you superstitious??? - 02/20/23
Originally Posted by dassa
Hey, question for you. At the start of each period, the goalie scuffs up the ice in the crease. Is that a sort of superstition, or is there a practical reason for it?

It's so you're sliding a predictable amount and it's uniform with no puddles etc....
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Are you superstitious??? - 02/20/23
Originally Posted by hanco

yep

13 gives me the he be givies
No, I’m not.
Posted By: dassa Re: Are you superstitious??? - 02/20/23

It's so you're sliding a predictable amount and it's uniform with no puddles etc....
Thanks. I figured it was either control slipperiness, or maybe to build up a little dam to maybe slow up the puck.
Posted By: RUM7 Re: Are you superstitious??? - 02/20/23
Nope.
Knock on wood, it hasn't mattered yet.
Posted By: goalie Re: Are you superstitious??? - 02/20/23

Thanks. I figured it was either control slipperiness, or maybe to build up a little dam to maybe slow up the puck.

That isn't allowed, but I piled snow on the outside of the net by the posts. It made wrap around attempts a lot more difficult. 😁
© 24hourcampfire