Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
hanco Offline OP
Campfire Savant
OP Offline
Campfire Savant
I guess I am, don’t like 13, black cat crosses the road, I’m turning around. I never stepped on cracks, no way I’d walk under a ladder and I hung pipe off the SOB’s all my adult life. I know it’s silly but my grandma put all that in my head.

Any thing you all are superstitious about.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not really.

But why chance it! laugh

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Green color race cars are a no-no.

Wearing a yellow shirt at a rodeo is bad luck.

Laying your hat on the bed means worse luck.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No. I'm regular stitious.

Me

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
But why chance it! laugh

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean someone isn't actually out to get you.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Last year I hunted for about a week without seeing a deer. My wife told me, "Why don't you forget that new rifle and use your game getter?" So the next day I took my 8mm and got a buck. Someone suggested I re-name the new rifle to "Luky Norma" so I did. I got the doe on the next hunt.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Not me. I got my lucky shirt on.

hanco Offline OP
Campfire Savant
OP Offline
Campfire Savant
I have a feeling there is going to be more things I won’t do.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
If you're going fishing and certainly if you're already fishing you NEVER mention that you think the wind has gone down.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hanco
I guess I am, don’t like 13, black cat crosses the road, I’m turning around. I never stepped on cracks, no way I’d walk under a ladder and I hung pipe off the SOB’s all my adult life. I know it’s silly but my grandma put all that in my head.

Any thing you all are superstitious about.
I never put my torch away until after the air test, so, yes I am.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
IC B3

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
NO. However several years ago I was confronted with a feeling that made me think twice about that.

A friend and I planned to climb the ice falls in Officers Gulch, East of Vail. We had heard on the news, that on Wednesday someone had died while climbing in that area.

We hiked in on Saturday and began hiking up the debris fan at the bottom of the gully. It was covered in fresh snow and halfway up the debris fan we saw where someone had been digging in the snow. When we looked into the hole, we saw a climbing rope. Apparently, someone had been hit by an avalanche while climbing and this is where they came to a stop. We figured that this was the remnants of the climbing accident that had claimed a life earlier in the week. Seeing that rope in the bottom of the hole and realizing how it came to be there was a sobering start to the climb, for both of us.

I lead the first pitch, which was uneventful until I nearly reached the top and peered over the rim. There in front of me was and ice axe and an ice screw stuck in the ice. We surmised that the previous climber had just about reached the top and was placing his protection before attempting to climb over the rim, when he got hit by the avalanche.

I finished the pitch and set the belay right next to the axe and screw then my buddy climbed up after me. He collected both pieces of gear and we climbed the final pitch, then rapelled down.

There's a common joke within the climbing community. It says "Climb Safely. If you die, we split your gear." When we reached the bottom, my climbing partner asked me which piece of gear I wanted. I thought about and said that I didn't want either. It just didn't feel right.

While I was a Marine, I was exposed to Navy superstition and in the Navy, there's a superstition that it's bad luck to possess anything made of steel that was owned by a man who has died. I never gave it much thought until I was confronted with the choice.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I guess a little. I didn't want to get my last surgery on Friday the 13th.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Was gonna say NO and poke fun.
Then I read KC's post, and remembered.

Worked for a company that also had tow trucks 20 years ago.

There was a bad wreck, and they had towed the Mustang in, parked it near
my truck. Another guy and I walked over to look at it. Not too tore up,
it had partly burned. The roof was cut off, surgical wipes everywhere inside.
They had to cut the passengers foot off the extract the body. Both seats were
singed, except where the passengers had been.

And in the little cubby in front of the dash?
A Buck 110 in a pristine sheath!
Jerry said "Wanna nice knife? The garage Rats will get it"

I left it for them.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Not really superstitious but I keep one "superstition", or maybe it's a wives' tale, whatever.
My mother (who lived to be 101) once told me to never give a knife as a gift, it would "cut the relationship". So I don't do that, if I give you have a knife I require you give me a penny or whatever change you happen to have.

No people will tamely surrender their Liberties when knowledge is diffusd and virtue is preservd. On the contrary, when people are ignorant, and debauchd in their manners they will sink under their own weight without the Aid of Invaders. Samuel Adams
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Yes....but I can't think of anything specific.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
is being a firm believer in karma being superstitious?

if so, then I am

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not really, knock on wood.

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not really but I ALWAYS carry a pair of nail clippers, a buck-eye nut, and a tiny aluminum cross in my left front pants pocket. Don't walk under ladders , do go in and out of the house from the same door, avoid stepping on cracks.
No bananas on the boat or 50.00 bills, I run the same pink and white Islander off the starboard planer rod (Wahoo and Bluefin slayer).

So, I guess not. Just a few little things..

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tarheel101
Not really superstitious but I keep one "superstition", or maybe it's a wives' tale, whatever.
My mother (who lived to be 101) once told me to never give a knife as a gift, it would "cut the relationship". So I don't do that, if I give you have a knife I require you give me a penny or whatever change you happen to have.

That was a "plot point" in the movie, The Edge, starring Anthony Hopkins and Alec Baldwin. An excellent movie, by the way. You can watch it free-gratis-for-nuthin' on You Tube, if you want.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The only thing I'm superstitious about is a gun pointed at me. Loaded, unloaded, laying on the table, shooting bench, etc... & of course when someone is holding it.

It just give me the Willies when I notice a gun pointed at me.....

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (160user, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 007FJ, 12344mag, 65 invisible), 2,269 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,278
Posts18,486,741
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.