No.
Posted By: papat Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/06/23
Iowa farmers. No
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/06/23
No.
But the first one to come here sold himself into indentured servitude to pay
his passage.

Imagine that.
Voluntary slavery, seeking freedom, in order to pay his own way.

Compare that to today's Americans or those coming here.
Posted By: Savage_Hunter Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/06/23
Not that I could find.
My Mom's side of the family, best i could tell, were all poor, owned small plots of land and no slaves listed on census. I couldn't find much about service in the War, but then again they were not living in the surrounding counties.
My Dad's side of the family. His Dad's side owned a little land but seemed better off than my Mom's. Smaller family. I couldn't find much about service. His Mom's side of the family, though, many were landowners, but could find no records of slaves owned. I found many, however, that served in the war as they were listed in Simpson and Rankin counties where they lived.
Posted By: Firecontrolman Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/06/23
My sister did the DNA ancestry test and traced our history for several centuries. Mostly just poor hillbillies. Nothing of consequence that I could see.
Posted By: old70 Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/06/23
No, both sides came to the US after the civil war.

Old70
Posted By: Hancock27 Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/06/23
Those that had money and means, yes,
Those that couldn't afford to buy a slave - no.

It's like now days, do you have a house keeper or a landscaper.
I believe that everyone alive has had ancestors who had slaves, or have been slaves. We are a product of thousands of successful ancestry.
Posted By: okie Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/06/23
Yes Virginia (pre-Revolution) Kentucky, Missouri and Colorado until Civil wars end.
Posted By: ButchA61 Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/06/23
Nope. Came from England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland (mother's side) and settled in New York.
Nope. Came from Germany, Norway, and Denmark (father's side) and settled in New York.
Posted By: WAM Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/06/23
Naw, they were poor Irish.
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/06/23
Yes
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/06/23
Yes, mine did.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/06/23
I don't know. My dad's grandpa came here well after slavery was ended. Not sure about my mom's side.
Posted By: blindshooter Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/06/23
Probably on my moms side. Not likely on fathers side.

Lot of lost records in two courthouse fires.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/06/23
Nope. Hessian that came to fight with the British, got off the boat and took off over the blue ridge and the shenandoah and started farming in Pendleton Co.
Too damn poor.
Posted By: shaman Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/06/23
Half my family emigrated from Germany in 1923. I think it is safe to say they did not participate in American slavery.

As to the other half, half of those emigrated from Wales in the 1850s and settled in northern Ohio. Louis Davidson Williams was so incensed by the martyrdom of Colonel Elmer Ellsworth , he ran off and joined the Union, leaving his pregnant wife. He asked that if the child was a boy to name him Elmer Ellsworth Williams. I think we can count the Williams out.

Now to that last quarter. These are a mixed bag of Plymouth Rock Wetbacks, New Amsterdam Dutch, and New Jersey Quakers. The latter produced several brothers that fought with General Washington. After they got thrown out of the Quaker Meeting for not renouncing their participation in the war, Washington offered one of them a mill to manage on the Youghiogheny River, near Pittsburgh. This was Israel Shreve. My lineage stems from his brother William. Israel begat at son, Henry Miller Shreve. My branch of Shreves eventually found their way to Meadville, PA and then to Cleveland, Ohio.

Henry Miller Shreve did indeed own and work slaves, particularly on his mission to clear the Great Raft on the Red River. Upon his retirement to a plantation near Saint Louis, he had slaves.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/06/23
No, they came from Germany after the civil war, in the 1890s.
Posted By: MPat70 Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/06/23
Not too my knowledge but I sure hope so šŸ‘šŸ»šŸ˜
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/06/23
No.
Posted By: Hastings Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/06/23
Yes, I have the inventory of the farm that was filed when my 3X great grandfather died in Ouachita Parish in 1835. There is a list of the slaves, their names, and physical descriptions. Also I have the list from 1850 when the estate was settled. That part of Ouachita Parish was made into present day Jackson Parish. I also have lawsuit records of a dispute over one of the slaves. It seems my 3X great grandmother and her oldest son were sued by her daughter and his sister over the son using the estate slave on his own farm.
Posted By: Teal Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/06/23
no - got here at the tail end of the 19th century.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/06/23
My great great grandfather had two.
Posted By: Crash_Pad Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/06/23
Dad's side for sure.Mom's not so clear. Both sides pre-revolution immigrants, fought Brits or assisted rebels.
Posted By: ldholton Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/06/23
to the best of my knowledge no. but I can guarantee you both sides would have fought on the south not because of the didn't like black so much didn't like government intrusion...
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/06/23
No, but a key battle in the Civil War was fought in the back yard of my extended family. None participated in the battle of Ft. Donelson on either side, but there were family members on both sides of the war.

https://www.history.com/topics/american-civil-war/battle-of-fort-donelson
Posted By: 22250rem Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/06/23
I had zero ancestors here before 1881. That's on my mother's German side. Both of my maternal grandparents were born here to German immigrant parents who came here as children with their parents from Bavaria and Alsace. My father's side began here when my grandfather arrived from Scotland in 1914. He served in the Canadian Army in WW1, as did a few other guys from around here who crossed the border and enlisted in the spring of 1917. He married his old girlfriend in Dundee Scotland a few weeks after WW1 ended and it was early 1919 when they got back here. Ain't none of my ancestors ever showed up here until post slavery.
Originally Posted by 22250rem
I had zero ancestors here before 1881. That's on my mother's German side. Both of my maternal grandparents were born here to German immigrant parents who came here as children with their parents from Bavaria and Alsace. My father's side began here when my grandfather arrived from Scotland in 1914. He served in the Canadian Army in WW1, as did a few other guys from around here who crossed the border and enlisted in the spring of 1917. He married his old girlfriend in Dundee Scotland a few weeks after WW1 ended and it was early 1919 when they got back here. Ain't none of my ancestors ever showed up here until post slavery.
Doesn't matter. It is not OK to be white. You owe reparations.
Posted By: 280shooter Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/06/23
Don't really know. But if they did, none who are alive today.
Posted By: baldhunter Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/06/23
Yes.My Great Grandmother was a Smith from Copiah County Mississippi,her Father,my 2xGreat Grandfather did as well as my 3xGreat Grandfather and many others in the Smith Family.It was a time in our history when our Country was a wilderness and "Cotton was King".
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/06/23
Yes
Posted By: Muffin Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/06/23
Mothers side NO
Fathers side likely, but have no real proof....
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/06/23
Not that I know of

If they did, I can't figure who got my allocation of
white privilege, because my mother's and father's
families were poor farmers that did a great job of
surviving the depression.
Posted By: Colorado1135 Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/06/23
Nope, moms side didn't get here until just after the civil war, dads side later than that. I am descended from Vikings so maybe if you go back far enough I guess.
Posted By: Old Ornery Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/06/23
Nope, mine were farmers and sailors.
Posted By: Dutch Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/06/23
Nope. Hugenot refugees on my father's side. Somebody make the case I owe reparations, I dare you.
Posted By: pete53 Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/06/23
my ancestors were Norsemen and they probably did have slaves ? but i have some Irish in me too and the Irish were slaves.
Originally Posted by Dutch
Nope. Hugenot refugees on my father's side. Somebody make the case I owe reparations, I dare you.
You are white
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/06/23
Originally Posted by papat
Iowa farmers. No
This ^^

kwg
Posted By: 7mmbuster Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/06/23
Thomas Oldham got off the boat in Philadelphia in 1754.
His son set up and operated the first saw mill in Bedford County, and killed wolves for the bounty.
I donā€™t know that any Oldham of my clan owned slaves, but I do know that there are several Quakers in the mix. Quakers were among the first abolitionist, so based on the information I know, Iā€™d say not.
I did have an ancestor who fought in the Civil War with the Pennsylvania ā€œBucktailsā€!
My cousin in Ogeltown, Somerset County traced this stuff back years ago.
Itā€™s pretty interesting. I guess thereā€™s a little Delaware Indian blood as well.
7mm
Posted By: Stickfight Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/06/23
My family has no record of owning any.

Most of the time when asked of Americans this question means did they own any during the period where slaves from sub-Sahara Africa were imported here. But the fact is that if your people are from anywhere other than a small handful of remote islands, someone somewhere back owned a slave. Mostly from conquest rather than buying them at the dock, but they owned another person regardless.
Posted By: 673 Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/06/23
Pretty much all Native people from this Continent is/was a slave owner.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/06/23
I doubt it...

DGAF either way....

Tired of paying taxes for the world's most expensive voting pets here in the good Ole USA.

If ya think about it...

If you pay taxes..

You are their slave....
Posted By: Heym06 Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/06/23
Yes. They sold two and released three, that moved from Kentucky to Missouri with the family. Prior to 1841. Thats grandma's side. Grandpa's side were settled near Lancaster Pennsylvania, and never owned any slaves.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/06/23
No, don't blame me.
Posted By: 700LH Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/06/23
I don't know nor do I know if any of my ancestors were Roman slaves
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/06/23
Yep. Lots of them on their plantations in Mississippi & Alabama before the War of Northern Aggression.

Itā€™s funny, Iā€™ve seen some Groid pro & college football players from both those states with our last name.
Figured my ancestors probably owned theirs. šŸ˜œšŸ¤ŖšŸ˜‚
Posted By: crittrgittr Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/06/23
Nope
Posted By: memtb Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/06/23
Yep! And some are likely much better off than I am.

Those living in America are and have been receiving ā€œreparationā€ since been brought to or born in America. Had they never been brought here, they and their ancestors would still be running from lions and would have no knowledge of the wheel! We should be receiving payment for bringing them into civilization!

Was slavery acceptableā€¦ā€¦absolutely not! But, the alternatives would be less pleasant for many of them! memtb
Posted By: Lslite Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/06/23
No,my grandmother was the child of poor sharecroppers and worked alongside freed slaves as a child in the cotton fields.Her family was in Texas during the war,but I never heard her mention any relatives who served.The rest of my people came from Germany and Italy,worked hard,became citizens,and sent their sons to fight in WW2 and most conflicts since.
Posted By: BlueDuck Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/06/23
No. One side of the family came from Germany and the other from Canada in the 1880's.
Posted By: EdM Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/06/23
No. Second generation American here.
Posted By: Armednfree Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/06/23
Up in the hollers around Grundy Virginia, not likely. They didn't have slaves, they had lots of kids.
Originally Posted by Lslite
No,my grandmother was the child of poor sharecroppers and worked alongside freed slaves as a child in the cotton fields.Her family was in Texas during the war,but I never heard her mention any relatives who served.The rest of my people came from Germany and Italy,worked hard,became citizens,and sent their sons to fight in WW2 and most conflicts since.

If anyone deserves ā€œreparationsā€, it should be the descendants of the sharecroppers. They were treated worse than many of the slaves. The slaves were a very large investmentā€¦ā€¦the sharecroppers cost the land owner nothing! Some of the larger plantations actually had a doctor and clinic to care for the slaves! The sharecroppers received no such treatment! memtb
Posted By: efw Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/06/23
Nope my kin donā€™t go back far enough for that and even if they didnā€™t it wouldnā€™t matter they were dirt poor when they came.
Posted By: amax155 Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/06/23
Yes. Settled into southern Mississippi about 1803 with 16 slaves.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/06/23
Not that I'm aware of..... but they did fight for the South during the Civil War.
Posted By: Beoceorl Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/06/23
Not likely. Illinois farmers on one side, and Tennessee Ridge Runners on the other. So, one side in a non-slave state, and the other in a non-slave economy.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/06/23
I don't know how anybody could really know. By the time you get back to your 6th grate grandparents you've got 128 people feeding into your family tree. 64 couples that you're directly descended from.
Posted By: mikieb Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/06/23
I have traced one side of my family back to a large plantation in northern Kentucky.... with that said...

I and my sister did a DNA thing from two different companies... 21 and Me, and Ancestry .com... We both came up with the same results which is mostly northern European with a good sliver of African blood... The African part is from the Ivory Coast part of Africa for what it is worth...

Looking at me... I'm as pasty white as your average Irishman....

What do you do with that ?
If they did, so what.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/06/23
Hell if I know

Genealogyā€™s for old ladies
Posted By: BigPine Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/06/23
Yes , my Dads side . We have a copy of the will showing which kids he left them to. My Great grandfather volunteered in the 1st Kentucky Calvary for the Union , was in through the whole war.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/06/23
No. They were horse thieves .
Posted By: hasbeen1945 Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/06/23
My Dads family got off the boat in Georgia on Oglethorpeā€™s first trip. They had cotton, tobacco and turpentine stills. So yes they had a few . Hasbeen
Posted By: roverboy Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/06/23
[quote=Dillonbuck]No.
But the first one to come here sold himself into indentured servitude to pay
his passage.

Imagine that.
Voluntary slavery, seeking freedom, in order to pay his own way.

Compare that to today's Americans or those coming here.[/quote

Same here. One of my ancestors came here in the 1660's and worked off the trip after he got here.
Originally Posted by slumlord
Hell if I know

Genealogyā€™s for old ladies

Amen! "We're descended from thieves and whores."
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/06/23
I always wondered why some yellow niqqers had the same last name as one side the family I put 2 and2 together on that.Same side different clan ā€œLand lordā€Clements had a plantation of tobacco and wheat hell of a operation.
Posted By: BuckHaggard Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/06/23
None as far as I know.
My wife, who is big into ancestry/genealogy, found a lot of information (though my deceased grandmother had many pre and post War of Northern Aggression records), including the names of some, how many had children, ect. memtb
No. Immigrant farmers to Iowa on my fatherā€™s side from Friesland (northern Holland). Same on my motherā€™s side but from southern Holland with some German and French in the background. Both came over in the very early 1900ā€™s.

The Dutch were big in the slave trade though in the 1600ā€™s along with the folks from Portugal though. They Visited the Gold Coast along with Ghana where the blacks were warehoused before being shipped out to the Americas.

However, it was black tribes who conquered other blacks and sold them to the Euroā€™s. Slavery was ubiquitous throughout Africa and the Middle East, and about everywhere else going back to OT times.

Simple facts that that arenā€™t known, told, or taught, ignored, or seemingly remembered by contemporary race baiters.
Posted By: EIB0879 Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/06/23
Yup. Even passed them down in their wills.
Posted By: RJY66 Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/06/23
My Dad's people got off the boat in South Carolina in the mid 1700's. Like Bristoe was saying if you follow all the branches of the tree since then there are some slave holders there. Its almost inevitable given the time and location.

Also some of my ancestors fought for the Americans in the second revolution.

I guess I owe bigly rapeanations in the eyes of some.
I think some countries had slaves after the US?
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
No. Immigrant farmers to Iowa on my fatherā€™s side from Friesland (northern Holland). Same on my motherā€™s side but from southern Holland with some German and French in the background. Both came over in the very early 1900ā€™s.

The Dutch were big in the slave trade though in the 1600ā€™s along with the folks from Portugal though. They Visited the Gold Coast along with Ghana where the blacks were warehoused before being shipped out to the Americas.

However, it was black tribes who conquered other blacks and sold them to the Euroā€™s. Slavery was ubiquitous throughout Africa and the Middle East, and about everywhere else going back to OT times.

Simple facts that that arenā€™t known, told, or taught, ignored, or seemingly remembered by contemporary race baiters.

Excellent post!
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/06/23
Apparently my ancestors used to sail south, plunder and burn churches, breed local women, steal cattle and take slaves home, Irish, Scots, English.... seems like a great business model. I have had the urge to do these things as well, but my balls are much smaller.
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/06/23
No
Posted By: Otter Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/07/23
Paternal grandparents -
Grandpa's line - came over from Germany, his mother was the family's first-born in this country - 1880 it was.
Grandma's line - came here from Denmark - she was part of the family's first generation born in this country.

Maternal grandparents -
Grandma's line - came here from Denmark - she was part of the family's first generation born in this country.
Grandpa's line - came here from Ireland - 6x great grandfather landed in VA about 1700. By 1775 many of the family had headed West into KY, TN, IL and MO.

Not aware that any of my relatives ever owned any slaves. Can't say that for certain, but none of them had much money.
Posted By: lostleader Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/07/23
Nope
My English and Scotch Irish ancestors that escaped Flintlocke's kin's depredations were here (probably as indentured servants) before 1640. Yankees that stayed out of the 1860s kerfuffle.

The Scandahoovian branch got here in the 1880s once it was civilized. No slaves there either.
Posted By: EdM Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/07/23
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I don't know how anybody could really know. By the time you get back to your 6th grate grandparents you've got 128 people feeding into your family tree. 64 couples that you're directly descended from.

As noted previously, my parents were (barely) first gen Americans. We did not have slaves.
Posted By: Ben_Lurkin Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/07/23
No, but a great-great something like that was a Captain in the Union Army. Whereā€™s my reparations for freeing those sorry sobs?
Posted By: MAC Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/07/23
Not that I know of. 2 members of my family died at Gettysburg
Posted By: carrollco Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/07/23
Poor. rednecks. Plenty of redheads with red hot tempers who received free boat rides to the America and settled in the Appalachians. The Brits banned the droning bagpipes so we made do with fiddles, banjos, guitars and dulcimers, and continued singing the old ballards of the homeland. Wifeā€™s people were wealthy and can trace her maternal genealogy way back to knights and East Dutch India sea captains. They owned a plantation and had slaves. Lost everything after the War of Northern Aggression; couldnā€™t pay the taxes on the land during Reconstruction and one was a was a quarter Choctaw and moved to OK. He was a lawyer and a one armed Captain in the CSA. The Feds failed to pay the Choctaws for their lands after the Trail of Tears and removal. He represented them in DC and wrote the Stanley Code ( set of laws used in tribal courts). His daughter established the first Choctaw newspaper in the Indian Territories. Traced my parental side back to grandfather who fought and was wounded 2X in CSA. Was also a POW 2X. As far as we know, he never was ā€œreconstructedā€
and took an oath to the Union. The first time he was wounded he was sent to Camp Douglas (Chicago) a hellhole as bad as Andersonville. The ones who win the war; write the history. It was never about slavery but states rights. Lincoln never intended to give the slaves the franchise or right to vote. He did get a CDA pension late in life - $21.00 I believe annually. Hell my motherā€™s father died when she was two and her mother was forced to sharecrop to feed her 5 kids. Get sick and tired of blacks acting like they were the only ones to sharecrop and suffer poverty.
Posted By: Hastings Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/07/23
Ain't that the truth. I once figured how many grandfathers Jesus would have in the 28 generations from King David to his father Joseph. It was many millions. So I'm guessing every Hebrew in Israel at the time of Jesus' birth was descended from David. There had to be a lot of double dipping going on since there weren't anywhere close to that many men in ancient Israel.

I'm also guessing that just about all the descendants of the Scottish Presbyterians populating the SE of the USA are cousins.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/07/23
Originally Posted by LBP
Own slaves? Mine did.

Naah, 80% Irish from the poor Southwest of Ireland, the ones we know about escaped the famine by crewing merchant ships, didnā€™t start arriving here 1890ā€™s thru 1920ā€™s.

I do think the Irish slavery thing is a bunch of hooey.
Posted By: JoeBob Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/07/23
Damn right we had slaves. We were people of property.
Posted By: Gunnison1 Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/07/23
Native American on one side and Dutch on the other side and absolutely positively no slaves were ever owned by this family. None in the woodpile either.
Posted By: RUM7 Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/07/23
Nope. Hid Jews in their windmills but no slaves.
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/07/23
Nope they did their own work.

It was a hard slow process but one side went into the flower Business in N.O. and the others side did the sharecropper thing.
Posted By: Brazos Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/07/23
Ya go back far enough, my ancestors WERE slaves! To the vikings and Romans.
I want my reparations!
Posted By: KragLarsen Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/07/23
The Norse side of the family may have owned some Irishmen/women pre-Christianity. The other side was from Prussia in the 1840s- one member fought in the Iron Brigade and one in the Union Navy on the Mississippi, so no slaves on this continent.

It should be appreciated that Iceland has high proportion of modelesque woman because the Vikings from the west coast of Norway were selective when they picked out their "brides" from the British Isles for populating the island.
Posted By: blanket Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/07/23
No, no black slaves
Posted By: kennyd Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/07/23
What i can trace goes to Virginia and minor slave holders; another branch toh to philadelphia 1760 apparently indebtured. Iowa, ohio. Missouri, indiana Illinois. Betnoone else can claim ancestors from tge westward migration my stock is english. French, Belgian, jew,
Wifes dad claimed cherokee, who mixed. The curly hair,, on that side fit the woodpile story. Missouri blood.
We are redneck Americans and proud of it
Posted By: TCK Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/07/23
No slave owners in my DIRECT lineage.
My ancestor arrived in America in 1632
Settled in the original "bible belt" New England area.
I am 11th generation born on American soil.
We are now to 14 generation born on American soil.
I believe the Arabians did it before the Americans.
Posted By: Nollij Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/07/23
Not likely, but hell if I know.
Posted By: Gojoe Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/07/23
Not likely, we only got shoes three generations ago. Before that, to hear tell my people walked to school up hill both ways in knee deep snow, bare foot, year round. When the ice got bad, they would steal barbed wire from the fence line to wrap their feet for traction.
Posted By: blindshooter Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/07/23
Originally Posted by renegade50
I doubt it...

DGAF either way....

Tired of paying taxes for the world's most expensive voting pets here in the good Ole USA.

If ya think about it...

If you pay taxes..

You are their slave....

This^^^^

Tax slaves.

What would be possible with all of your/our earnings?
Posted By: JoeBob Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/07/23
Originally Posted by carrollco
Poor. rednecks. Plenty of redheads with red hot tempers who received free boat rides to the America and settled in the Appalachians. The Brits banned the droning bagpipes so we made do with fiddles, banjos, guitars and dulcimers, and continued singing the old ballards of the homeland. Wifeā€™s people were wealthy and can trace her maternal genealogy way back to knights and East Dutch India sea captains. They owned a plantation and had slaves. Lost everything after the War of Northern Aggression; couldnā€™t pay the taxes on the land during Reconstruction and one was a was a quarter Choctaw and moved to OK. He was a lawyer and a one armed Captain in the CSA. The Feds failed to pay the Choctaws for their lands after the Trail of Tears and removal. He represented them in DC and wrote the Stanley Code ( set of laws used in tribal courts). His daughter established the first Choctaw newspaper in the Indian Territories. Traced my parental side back to grandfather who fought and was wounded 2X in CSA. Was also a POW 2X. As far as we know, he never was ā€œreconstructedā€
and took an oath to the Union. The first time he was wounded he was sent to Camp Douglas (Chicago) a hellhole as bad as Andersonville. The ones who win the war; write the history. It was never about slavery but states rights. Lincoln never intended to give the slaves the franchise or right to vote. He did get a CDA pension late in life - $21.00 I believe annually. Hell my motherā€™s father died when she was two and her mother was forced to sharecrop to feed her 5 kids. Get sick and tired of blacks acting like they were the only ones to sharecrop and suffer poverty.

What unit was the one who got sent to Camp Douglas?
Posted By: rost495 Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/07/23
Originally Posted by junglemafia
I believe that everyone alive has had ancestors who had slaves, or have been slaves. We are a product of thousands of successful ancestry.
This. Can't prove it. Know they didn't in the slavery that has panties in a wad. But I'd bet somewhere along the line all of our family owned slaves and were slaves at some point.
Posted By: Traveler52 Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/07/23
Near as I can find no slaves. Family on both sides go back to 1600's on us soil
Posted By: acy Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/07/23

Yep. And let's go back another thousand years beyond that. I doubt that there is a person alive today that doesn't have a slave and a slave owner in their ancestry. If you, personally, have never owned a slave, then you aren't responsible for paying reparations to slaves. If you, personally, have never been a slave, then you aren't entitled to reparations for slavery.
Posted By: Sako76 Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/07/23
Nope! Both sets of grandparents (one from Ireland and 1 from Scotland) came over in the 1920's, just in time for the Great Depression!
Posted By: BubbaG Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/07/23
Yes. I had descendants in the revolutionary war who were given a land grant in Alabama for their service. They turned the land into a plantation were they had slaves. According the census, they had 24 slaves at one time. My great great grandfather was too old to fight in the civil war and my great grandfather was too young.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/07/23
I do not believe so.
Posted By: Steve Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/07/23
I'm sure some did. Also sure some were slaves. Just like the majority of humans if you go back far enough.
Posted By: carrollco Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/07/23
Joe Bob: He joined up in Lowndes Co at the age of 21. If I remember correctly, it may have been Company D. He was at Fort Donelson when wounded in the leg and became a POW. Upon release, he went right back to his unit and took to killing more Yankees. I canā€™t imagine lining up abreast and marching into grapeshot and cannon fire. Often wondered what the ā€œRebel Yellā€ sounded like. Iā€™ve heard Shelby Foote describe it as sorta like a fox hunters yelp. He is buried at Bethsaida Cemetery down the road from Pleasant Ridge Cemetery in Holmes Co near Owen Wells. Has a CSA marker and is at the back left hand corner. Wife and I intend to make road trip to revisit the grave site and get GPS coordinates. Itā€™s out east of Lexington.
Posted By: KragLarsen Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/08/23
I always heard it was more like a rabbit squeal. Funny that it is considered honorable to violate parole that saved his life . . . I would have loved to been with Sherman on his march through Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina. Amazing thing is Sherman's army only suffered 1,300 casualties on that entire glorious campaign. Lee's army suffered more than 5 times that in less than hour in Pickett's "charge". Hard not to equate the Stars & Bars to the Swastika. My family was part of the GOP since before the Civil War and they still are staunch Republicans. A distant cousin was Republican governor.
Posted By: JoeBob Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/08/23
Originally Posted by KragLarsen
I always heard it was more like a rabbit squeal. Funny that it is considered honorable to violate parole that saved his life . . . I would have loved to been with Sherman on his march through Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina. Amazing thing is Sherman's army only suffered 1,300 casualties on that entire glorious campaign. Lee's army suffered more than 5 times that in less than hour in Pickett's "charge". Hard not to equate the Stars & Bars to the Swastika. My family was part of the GOP since before the Civil War and they still are staunch Republicans. A distant cousin was Republican governor.

You canā€™t be dishonorable in lying to cocksmoking Yankee scum. Iā€™d be glad to give you an address if you felt the need to reenact Shermanā€™s March since you missed it the first time around.
Posted By: SargeMO Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/08/23
I ain't ever owned any and you couldn't run fast enough to give me one.
Posted By: blanket Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/08/23
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I do not believe so.
Thought you was Eskimo so your a ruskie
Originally Posted by SargeMO
I ain't ever owned any and you couldn't run fast enough to give me one.
This but ten
Posted By: Craigster Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/08/23
My great great Grandfather was a Union Army Veteran. So I seriously doubt there were/are any slaves in the woodpile.
Posted By: Squirrelnut Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/08/23
Yes. 5th great-grandfathers in both Virginia and North Carolina.
Posted By: Crash_Pad Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/08/23
Originally Posted by carrollco
Joe Bob: He joined up in Lowndes Co at the age of 21. If I remember correctly, it may have been Company D. He was at Fort Donelson when wounded in the leg and became a POW. Upon release, he went right back to his unit and took to killing more Yankees. I canā€™t imagine lining up abreast and marching into grapeshot and cannon fire. Often wondered what the ā€œRebel Yellā€ sounded like. Iā€™ve heard Shelby Foote describe it as sorta like a fox hunters yelp. He is buried at Bethsaida Cemetery down the road from Pleasant Ridge Cemetery in Holmes Co near Owen Wells. Has a CSA marker and is at the back left hand corner. Wife and I intend to make road trip to revisit the grave site and get GPS coordinates. Itā€™s out east of Lexington.

There's You Tubes of old reb soldiers doing it. Doesn't sound that scary, but associated with the ferociousness of the Confederate attack might have conditioned the Yankees for what was coming.
So you owe them money, not me
Posted By: Crash_Pad Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/08/23

And you brag about such a disgraceful heritage? Slaughtering innocent civilians and destroying their means of survival? Shame on you! Sherman would have hung for what he did if the right ones had prevailed. That's the sad part.
Posted By: Hotrod_Lincoln Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/08/23
There's a reason "damyankee" was, is, and always will be one word. Closing the hunting season in 1865 was a really bad mistake. Gotta bury 'em- - - -the buzzards won't eat their stinking carcasses!
Posted By: Whelenman Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/08/23
Both my grandpas and grandmas came on the boat across!!!
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/08/23

What side did Chicago, Detroit, Baltimore, and Gary Indiana fight on?

Whatever it was, they lost.
Posted By: Muffin Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/08/23

It's likely I have a pistol and the holster that was 'there'...........

GGGrandpa...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

His sidearm, one of two.....

Also have this, but i don't believe it ever saw 'duty'.....

Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/08/23
The wife and I each have a bit of Native American in our blood. So I am sure the answer to the OP is yes for both of us.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/08/23
My parents were the last ancestors of mine to own slaves. My children have it much easier than my siblings and I. šŸ˜€
Posted By: 673 Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/08/23
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
The wife and I each have a bit of Native American in our blood. So I am sure the answer to the OP is yes for both of us.
Yup.
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
My parents were the last ancestors of mine to own slaves. My children have it much easier than my siblings and I. šŸ˜€
My younger sister was still crying about being raised as a slave when she died at age 63.

But she always was a whiny bitch. I called it "earning my keep".
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/08/23
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
My younger sister was still crying about being raised as a slave when she died at age 63.

But she always was a whiny bitch. I called it "earning my keep".

I had a wonderful childhood and I deeply love my parents, they were/are the best a kid could hope for.

I had chores and responsibilities and Iā€™m better because of it. I had the luxury of growing up surrounded by love, safety and security so I promise you that my comments were strictly humorous and in no way a reflection on my childhood. šŸ˜€
Posted By: LBP Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/08/23
Is this a serious post? That sob destroyed my ancestors property while the men were away fighting. Sherman was a war criminal in every sense of the word.
Posted By: Mike_S Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/08/23
Iā€™m second generation on dads side, third on moms. My ancestors got here after the festivities of 1861-65. Have Armenian relatives who were oppressed by the Turks in the years leading up to the First World War. Canā€™t even get Turkey to acknowledge the genocide they committed.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/08/23
I'd have to ask my ancestors. But they're all dead.
Posted By: dukxdog Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/08/23
No, but they fought to free them.
Posted By: SargeMO Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/08/23
Danish, English & Injun mix here. So pretty much all of them.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/08/23
LBP: Nope.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
The world would like to forget that slavery predates Columbus by millennia. And that it was practiced by every race in the world, against every other race, and often against their own.

There are none alive today who did not have both slaves and slave owners as part of their ancestry. Somewhere in the last 2000 generations, both are there.
Posted By: Houston_2 Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/08/23
Originally Posted by LBP
Own slaves? Mine did.

Yep.

Still do.
Posted By: carrollco Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/08/23
KragLarsenYou are a DamnYankee SOB. Sherman left a 50 mile width swarth from Jackson MS to Atlanta GA waging war against civilians and destroying their livestock, property and food. If anyone is due reparations, itā€™s the southern whites. Many of our ancestors starved or had shortened lifespans because of this. FORGET?HELL NO! The north has always tried to force their will upon the South. Why didnā€™t yā€™all do forced integration and busing up north. The damn Kennedys never had their kids in public schools. The Civil War was always about states right to succeed from the Union. The issue was never settled and is still simmering today.
Posted By: Son_of_the_Gael Re: Did Your Ancestors - 03/08/23
Nope, too dang poor.
© 24hourcampfire