Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by carrollco
Poor. rednecks. Plenty of redheads with red hot tempers who received free boat rides to the America and settled in the Appalachians. The Brits banned the droning bagpipes so we made do with fiddles, banjos, guitars and dulcimers, and continued singing the old ballards of the homeland. Wife’s people were wealthy and can trace her maternal genealogy way back to knights and East Dutch India sea captains. They owned a plantation and had slaves. Lost everything after the War of Northern Aggression; couldn’t pay the taxes on the land during Reconstruction and one was a was a quarter Choctaw and moved to OK. He was a lawyer and a one armed Captain in the CSA. The Feds failed to pay the Choctaws for their lands after the Trail of Tears and removal. He represented them in DC and wrote the Stanley Code ( set of laws used in tribal courts). His daughter established the first Choctaw newspaper in the Indian Territories. Traced my parental side back to grandfather who fought and was wounded 2X in CSA. Was also a POW 2X. As far as we know, he never was “reconstructed”
and took an oath to the Union. The first time he was wounded he was sent to Camp Douglas (Chicago) a hellhole as bad as Andersonville. The ones who win the war; write the history. It was never about slavery but states rights. Lincoln never intended to give the slaves the franchise or right to vote. He did get a CDA pension late in life - $21.00 I believe annually. Hell my mother’s father died when she was two and her mother was forced to sharecrop to feed her 5 kids. Get sick and tired of blacks acting like they were the only ones to sharecrop and suffer poverty.

What unit was the one who got sent to Camp Douglas?

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by junglemafia
I believe that everyone alive has had ancestors who had slaves, or have been slaves. We are a product of thousands of successful ancestry.
This. Can't prove it. Know they didn't in the slavery that has panties in a wad. But I'd bet somewhere along the line all of our family owned slaves and were slaves at some point.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Near as I can find no slaves. Family on both sides go back to 1600's on us soil

Gun Owners of America
Escapee's RV Club
Elks
Moose
A
acy Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I don't know how anybody could really know. By the time you get back to your 6th grate grandparents you've got 128 people feeding into your family tree. 64 couples that you're directly descended from.

Yep. And let's go back another thousand years beyond that. I doubt that there is a person alive today that doesn't have a slave and a slave owner in their ancestry. If you, personally, have never owned a slave, then you aren't responsible for paying reparations to slaves. If you, personally, have never been a slave, then you aren't entitled to reparations for slavery.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Nope! Both sets of grandparents (one from Ireland and 1 from Scotland) came over in the 1920's, just in time for the Great Depression!

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Yes. I had descendants in the revolutionary war who were given a land grant in Alabama for their service. They turned the land into a plantation were they had slaves. According the census, they had 24 slaves at one time. My great great grandfather was too old to fight in the civil war and my great grandfather was too young.

Last edited by BubbaG; 03/07/23.

2 Kings 2:23-24
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
I do not believe so.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm sure some did. Also sure some were slaves. Just like the majority of humans if you go back far enough.

Carpe' Scrotum
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Joe Bob: He joined up in Lowndes Co at the age of 21. If I remember correctly, it may have been Company D. He was at Fort Donelson when wounded in the leg and became a POW. Upon release, he went right back to his unit and took to killing more Yankees. I can’t imagine lining up abreast and marching into grapeshot and cannon fire. Often wondered what the “Rebel Yell” sounded like. I’ve heard Shelby Foote describe it as sorta like a fox hunters yelp. He is buried at Bethsaida Cemetery down the road from Pleasant Ridge Cemetery in Holmes Co near Owen Wells. Has a CSA marker and is at the back left hand corner. Wife and I intend to make road trip to revisit the grave site and get GPS coordinates. It’s out east of Lexington.

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
I always heard it was more like a rabbit squeal. Funny that it is considered honorable to violate parole that saved his life . . . I would have loved to been with Sherman on his march through Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina. Amazing thing is Sherman's army only suffered 1,300 casualties on that entire glorious campaign. Lee's army suffered more than 5 times that in less than hour in Pickett's "charge". Hard not to equate the Stars & Bars to the Swastika. My family was part of the GOP since before the Civil War and they still are staunch Republicans. A distant cousin was Republican governor.

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by KragLarsen
I always heard it was more like a rabbit squeal. Funny that it is considered honorable to violate parole that saved his life . . . I would have loved to been with Sherman on his march through Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina. Amazing thing is Sherman's army only suffered 1,300 casualties on that entire glorious campaign. Lee's army suffered more than 5 times that in less than hour in Pickett's "charge". Hard not to equate the Stars & Bars to the Swastika. My family was part of the GOP since before the Civil War and they still are staunch Republicans. A distant cousin was Republican governor.

You can’t be dishonorable in lying to cocksmoking Yankee scum. I’d be glad to give you an address if you felt the need to reenact Sherman’s March since you missed it the first time around.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I ain't ever owned any and you couldn't run fast enough to give me one.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I do not believe so.
Thought you was Eskimo so your a ruskie

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by SargeMO
I ain't ever owned any and you couldn't run fast enough to give me one.
This but ten

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
My great great Grandfather was a Union Army Veteran. So I seriously doubt there were/are any slaves in the woodpile.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes. 5th great-grandfathers in both Virginia and North Carolina.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by carrollco
Joe Bob: He joined up in Lowndes Co at the age of 21. If I remember correctly, it may have been Company D. He was at Fort Donelson when wounded in the leg and became a POW. Upon release, he went right back to his unit and took to killing more Yankees. I can’t imagine lining up abreast and marching into grapeshot and cannon fire. Often wondered what the “Rebel Yell” sounded like. I’ve heard Shelby Foote describe it as sorta like a fox hunters yelp. He is buried at Bethsaida Cemetery down the road from Pleasant Ridge Cemetery in Holmes Co near Owen Wells. Has a CSA marker and is at the back left hand corner. Wife and I intend to make road trip to revisit the grave site and get GPS coordinates. It’s out east of Lexington.

There's You Tubes of old reb soldiers doing it. Doesn't sound that scary, but associated with the ferociousness of the Confederate attack might have conditioned the Yankees for what was coming.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
So you owe them money, not me

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by KragLarsen

And you brag about such a disgraceful heritage? Slaughtering innocent civilians and destroying their means of survival? Shame on you! Sherman would have hung for what he did if the right ones had prevailed. That's the sad part.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
There's a reason "damyankee" was, is, and always will be one word. Closing the hunting season in 1865 was a really bad mistake. Gotta bury 'em- - - -the buzzards won't eat their stinking carcasses!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

102 members (badwolf, 257 mag, 35, BABore, 11 invisible), 1,440 guests, and 923 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,066
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.