Home
Posted By: kaboku68 Scope Rant- Fixed Powers - 03/09/23
With all of the new technology why aren't scope companies making a compact or medium size fixed power or a 3X9 variable that doesn't suck. I know that SWFA is making SS3X9s as fast as they can but it seems that everybody wants to be a wannabe sniper. The prices of the old Leupold M8s and the Texas Weaver 4X are in my view very high for scopes that are often more than 50 years old. I know that Leupold continues to make fixed powers but they are kind of treated like the left-alone weird cross-eyed chick that keeps scratching her patch at the dance while all of the interest is on the 8-9-10s in the high dollar variables with turrets that seem to look better than how they perform.

Just thoughts on a Thursday.
Posted By: mathman Re: Scope Rant- Fixed Powers - 03/09/23
Originally Posted by kaboku68
With all of the new technology why aren't scope companies making a compact or medium size fixed power or a 3X9 variable that doesn't suck. I know that SWFA is making SS3X9s as fast as they can but it seems that everybody wants to be a wannabe sniper. The prices of the old Leupold M8s and the Texas Weaver 4X are in my view very high for scopes that are often more than 50 years old. I know that Leupold continues to make fixed powers but they are kind of treated like the left-alone weird cross-eyed chick that keeps scratching her patch at the dance while all of the interest is on the 8-9-10s in the high dollar variables with turrets that seem to look better than how they perform.

Just thoughts on a Thursday.

They don't believe that's where the money is.
Posted By: OGB Re: Scope Rant- Fixed Powers - 03/09/23
I assume that by "suck" you mean that the ones being produced don't give you the reticle/dial-up capability that you are after?

Leupold still advertises 3 fixed power scopes but you can have them in one reticle configuration only. I know everyone poo-poo talks them but for a set and forget scope they're a lot for the money. I'm going to be getting a 6X42 for a rifle that is inbound right now.
Posted By: Westman Re: Scope Rant- Fixed Powers - 03/09/23
Personally, I still use and think that the old M8 6X42 is all I need for a lot of hunting I do. Never had one fail, but no doubt, someone has....
Posted By: SupFoo Re: Scope Rant- Fixed Powers - 03/09/23
Originally Posted by kaboku68
With all of the new technology why aren't scope companies making a compact or medium size fixed power or a 3X9 variable that doesn't suck. it seems that everybody wants to be a wannabe sniper.

Fixed it for you.

But I like your thinking.
We few, we brave, band of brothers...that consider a crosshair, a small objective diameter, a long action mountable tube...sufficient to the task at hand, are an endangered species. I, for one, have several working rifles with scopes dating back to a half century....still sufficient to the task. I'm 77, and thinking back on my hunting journey, I'm trying to think of a time when a scope caused tag soup on the menu, nothing comes to mind. I might go so far as to wonder how much meat could have been cleanly taken with irons...at least half. I will leave the Hubbel's to the snipers.
Posted By: kaboku68 Re: Scope Rant- Fixed Powers - 03/09/23
I really like and treasure those fixed power scopes with a thin crosshair and a 2 moa target dot. I don't think a lot of folks know that you can get a submoa group with such a set up.
Posted By: moosemike Re: Scope Rant- Fixed Powers - 03/09/23
I'm all about fixed powers. Especially 2.5 and 4's. I'd love to see more choices
Why not set a variable on the power you want and leave it alone?

It's not like today's variables are as unreliable as they were 50 years ago.
Posted By: rainshot Re: Scope Rant- Fixed Powers - 03/09/23
Jack O'Connor hunted for years with fixed power scopes. That was when variables weren't as reliable as today. Most people are buying variables, or they would be offering more fixed power scopes. You can still get them. Everything is higher these days.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Scope Rant- Fixed Powers - 03/09/23
medium size fixed power or a 3X9

A 3X9 would be a fixed power scope. A fixed power 3X scope with a 9mm front objective. The make a lot of 3-9X variables. The trend I'm seeing is scopes in the 2-10X range. I've not personally used one. I can see the potential for a lot of versatility with both lower power magnification and a little more on the top end. But I'm sure there are negatives. I just don't know what they are.

I have no use for a fixed power scope. 50-75 years ago the argument could be made that fixed power scopes were more reliable. Not sure that is still the case. What I'd like to see is a 1-6X or similar scope with a 30mm straight tube without a busy reticle that weighed under 16 oz.

I am quite pleased with the 3-9X40 Meopta scopes that were made with Ziess and Cabelas badges on them. I have one branded Zeiss. I have 4 more with Cabela's badges on them. Those are as much scope as I need and will out last me.
Tactical is what sells today. An M8 Leupold is among my favorites, but I already own more of them than I’ll likely ever use. I am no longer their target audience.

I’d like to see Chevy reproduce the 72 pickup again too, but it ain’t gonna happen.
Posted By: mauserfan Re: Scope Rant- Fixed Powers - 03/09/23
Something that no one talks about is the ability to range a known target with a 4x Duplex reticle Leupold.
Posted By: longshot3 Re: Scope Rant- Fixed Powers - 03/09/23
I've seen more than a handful of guys that buy very nice scopes with turrets, and then never use them, and don't know how to dial. I've been told by a few younger guys, that my 10x SWFA just doesn't have enough "power" for shots out to 500 yards. I've won a dollar or two from them. Lol. It's all about the looks, and brand recognition to lots...
Posted By: mathman Re: Scope Rant- Fixed Powers - 03/09/23
Originally Posted by longshot3
I've seen more than a handful of guys that buy very nice scopes with turrets, and then never use them, and don't know how to dial. I've been told by a few younger guys, that my 10x SWFA just doesn't have enough "power" for shots out to 500 yards. I've won a dollar or two from them. Lol. It's all about the looks, and brand recognition to lots...

I've educated a few about 4x at 300 yards.
Originally Posted by mauserfan
Something that no one talks about is the ability to range a known target with a 4x Duplex reticle Leupold.
Or leaving a variable on 4x and doing the same.
Glossy scopes with no twisty knobs = boring
Just use iron sights. Fixed at 1 power. Cheap too, extremely reliable.
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: Scope Rant- Fixed Powers - 03/09/23
Originally Posted by OGB
I assume that by "suck" you mean that the ones being produced don't give you the reticle/dial-up capability that you are after?

Leupold still advertises 3 fixed power scopes but you can have them in one reticle configuration only. I know everyone poo-poo talks them but for a set and forget scope they're a lot for the money. I'm going to be getting a 6X42 for a rifle that is inbound right now.

Can you elaborate on how you settled on leopold's fx 6x42?....
Posted By: VernAK Re: Scope Rant- Fixed Powers - 03/09/23
Originally Posted by SCgman1
Originally Posted by OGB

I've got a half dozen on various rifles because they work for me and my hunting conditions. They have been very reliable and the weight is very manageable.
Most have the Long Range Duplex reticle and that works just fine for what I do. The FOV is fine for me. I don't feel handicapped for closer shots.

I'd like to find another 6x42 with LR Duplex.
Do your 6x42s have finger click adjustment or the friction adjustments?
Do your 6x42s have finger click adjustment or the friction adjustments?
I’ve never owned a clicking Leupold. I assume by your question that they are available?
Yes, my recent purchase of a leupy 6x42 fx3 uses clicks......
Yes, my recent purchase of a leupy 6x42 fx3 uses clicks......
LOL! I haven’t bought a scope in a loooong time. I used to pick up every m8 I could find on eBay that was less than a hundred bucks.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Scope Rant- Fixed Powers - 03/09/23
Convince makers that there’s a profit in making fixed powers, and you’ll get ‘em.

Convince them, not me please. I have some, and use them where I see a benefit. Just picked up a nice Burris 6x Mini here for $200. I doubt anyone will consider that snag an indicator of a big market.
This my first leupold since the early 90s.....my only other leupold had 1/2 moa friction adjustment.....only had to zero it once......good for 20 years till i sold it.
Posted By: MTGunner Re: Scope Rant- Fixed Powers - 03/09/23
3-9 are good enough for those that still believe they need to get as close as one can possibly do so. I have been looking for a Burris compact or Burris compact magnum, U.S. manufactured, I like the posilock feature also. Would consider a 4.5-14 Burris.
Guess I just like to get close enough to see the critters eyes. Then…one and done. MTG
Posted By: Eric308 Re: Scope Rant- Fixed Powers - 03/09/23
I purchased two M8 4x matte in 1998 for I believe $248, which wasn't cheap, but I wish I'd bought more. One resides on a HR 980 Ultra Slug that despite numerous rounds and a fall from a tree stand has never lost zero. The other sits on a Ruger M77 MKII Stainless/Zytel Skeleton .308 that my Dad shot his only Elk with. That combo I suspect will still be ticking when cockroaches inherit the Earth.

I also bought several of the Weaver Classic fixed 4x and 6x when Natchez was closing them out, including the 6x that sits on my CZ 527 .223 Carbine, and it goes well with that rifle.

I've got an unmounted Weaver 4.75x40mm Grand Slam which is a great scope!
I've never shot an animal at 500+ yds because I've never seen one I couldn't get closer to.
That said, I do use a 4x12 variable. My eyes aren't what they used to be and the 12x on longer shots clears things up.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Scope Rant- Fixed Powers - 03/09/23
Originally Posted by Westman
Personally, I still use and think that the old M8 6X42 is all I need for a lot of hunting I do. Never had one fail, but no doubt, someone has....
The 6X has been a good hunting setup for me on several hunting rifles over the years. I like it a lot. There was (maybe still is) a firearms writer that held strongly to the 6X as an overall best selection rather than the variables. I think the name is Jon Sundra and I first noted his writing that praised the 7mm cartridges.
I like fixed power and most are 2.5X. 2 Leupolds and a half dozen El Paso Weavers. Also have an El Paso Weaver sitting atop a '51 vintage M70 that dwells in the low power realm, something around 1.5-4.5X if memory serves. They all work very well. The ones that tickle my fancy are 2-3' long fixed power telescopes on some of my BP target guns.

This is not a topic that will get me all spooled up 'cause I'm not in Kansas anymore.
Posted By: roverboy Re: Scope Rant- Fixed Powers - 03/09/23
I've owned a bunch of scopes over the years, and had almost no problems out of fixed powers. I can't say that for variables.
Posted By: DaveinWV Re: Scope Rant- Fixed Powers - 03/10/23
I have a Leupold Big Bore 3x with a heavy duplex. It has the best resolution of all of my scopes. I have 3 M8 4x28mm, a FX II 4x33mm, and a FX II 6x36mm. I have 4 variables too. I like the fixed scopes more.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Scope Rant- Fixed Powers - 03/10/23
Originally Posted by mauserfan

I know at least one of those dreaded "gun writers" who's published plenty of information on that subject since the 1980s.
Posted By: 10at6 Re: Scope Rant- Fixed Powers - 03/10/23
Not a 4x, but I had good dope on my 6x Leupold. Pretty simple and effective.
Posted By: DryPowder Re: Scope Rant- Fixed Powers - 03/10/23
I've got a couple of 6X's in inventory. I should breakdown and buy a S&B 6X PMii.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: Scope Rant- Fixed Powers - 03/10/23
Originally Posted by DryPowder
I've got a couple of 6X's in inventory. I should breakdown and buy a S&B 6X PMii.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Very nice.....
Posted By: TRexF16 Re: Scope Rant- Fixed Powers - 03/10/23
Originally Posted by MTGunner
3-9 are good enough for those that still believe they need to get as close as one can possibly do so. ...
Guess I just like to get close enough to see the critters eyes. Then…one and done. MTG
I agree with your sentiment on stalking close, BUT...
At 9x a critter at 900 yards looks like it is at 100 yards, a range at which anyone with eyes ought to be able to easily hit the vitals with iron sights. Any myths to the contrary reflect a generation of brainwashing. I ran a Leupold 4x Compact on my .257 Roberts for a decade and routinely killed out to 400 yards and never lost an animal. A 9x would easily double that capability.

Mi Dos Centavos,
Rex
Nice 4x40 with lock ring ocular like the older Nikon Monarchs would be nice.

Not a fan of fast focus ocular scopes and their beer can appearance.

SWFA make of version of their 6x42 into a 4x42 with lower profile turrets would be cool.

Honestly I use variable power scopes.
Keep em on 3x for shooting.
Closet I can get to decent magnification and a good FOV.
Zoom em up to get a look at a deer coming thru the woods.
I would use a 4x40 if one with a lock ring ocular was being made and ditch the variable power scopes.
Posted By: Jeffrey Re: Scope Rant- Fixed Powers - 03/10/23
I could argue that there are downfalls to variable power scopes and turrets.
Ever seen some ding dong with a high power variable hunting in cover with their scope dialed up? Just a couple months ago I was out with a buddy who had his scope set on 12x. My rifle had a Leupold FX-II 4x. We had a sounder of pigs meander right onto our position (we were still hunting) and they caught us out in an opening with no cover. They closed the distance to about 15 yards when the first spooked. I shot two in quick succession. My buddy never got a shot off because he couldn’t find them. I know, easy answer, always leave your variable power scope at its lowest setting and dial up as needed. Well, my buddy forgot. Anybody ever forget to do something before? I have.

Which leads to my next point. Anybody ever go hunting and see someone shoot and miss their target yet feel good about the shot? Only to discover they had their turrets set for a distance other than what the target was at? I’ve seen it. That crap happens when you play sniper on the weekends a few times out of the year.

Simplicity can save people from making silly mistakes. Some good practice with a good, low fixed power scope is all one really needs for 99% hunting conditions, barring something like poor eyesight such as RC mentioned.

I understand the marketing and business aspect of selling what is “in”, but I wouldn’t throw the baby out with the bath water. Fixed power scopes will always have a place on my rifles.
Posted By: Jeffrey Re: Scope Rant- Fixed Powers - 03/10/23
Originally Posted by TRexF16
3-9 are good enough for those that still believe they need to get as close as one can possibly do so. ...
At 9x a critter at 900 yards looks like it is at 100 yards, a range at which anyone with eyes ought to be able to easily hit the vitals with iron sights. Any myths to the contrary reflect a generation of brainwashing. I ran a Leupold 4x Compact on my .257 Roberts for a decade and routinely killed out to 400 yards and never lost an animal. A 9x would easily double that capability.

Mi Dos Centavos,
Rex

Yeah….. But higher magnification doesn’t equate to better shooting capability.
Posted By: TRexF16 Re: Scope Rant- Fixed Powers - 03/10/23
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Originally Posted by TRexF16

Mi Dos Centavos,
Rex

Yeah….. But higher magnification doesn’t equate to better shooting capability.
Yes, of course not, and excellent point by you. BUT, shooting skill is not the point of the discussion, unless I missed something. The point was what magnification is needed for one to exploit his shooting skills. As you mentioned, increased magnification does not increase shooting skill.
But, assuming shooting skill and doping ability is adequate, my point was just that 9x ought to be enough, since it does, inarguably, make a critter at 900 yards appear as large as he would at 100 yards with irons.
That's all,
Rex
Lots of good scopes in the used market
I hear you about the Wanda be snipers
I sent back a nice little compact 2x7 Burris
Had somthing doll oat IH around in it
White a letter please repair I don’t want a new scope if it not repairable please send it back I repaired. Simple right
This was on a sweet nice wood ADL in 222 rem
They sent back a 4.5x 14 hosious mat black thing with huge knobs I couldn’t put that on that 222
I gave the scope away in discuss and silt the rifle.
They claim that all the build now.
Made in China to boot.
I’ll use a Japan scope but usa for me thanks
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Scope Rant- Fixed Powers - 03/10/23
Originally Posted by moosemike
I'm all about fixed powers. Especially 2.5 and 4's. I'd love to see more choices

My primary hunting rifle wears a FX-II in 4x. I've never seen the need to jack that up and the zero has stayed put for 10+ years, 180s are 2.5" high @ 100, and 200s are dead-on.
Posted By: OGB Re: Scope Rant- Fixed Powers - 03/10/23
Originally Posted by OGB

Sure,
Simplicity, been using a variety of variables for years to include dial ups. Nothing against them just want one that is point and shoot.
Want to try it in 6x as it seems like plenty for shots out past my limit on game yet not so much that I can't get on a deer at 50yds.
Weight, the intended recipient is 8lbs naked.
It's not going on a "swamp rifle". I have rifles for that.
It is going on an old MK V in 270WBY and it just seems appropriate.
The goal is to zero high steppin 130s at 300yds making it very easy to "hold" out to 400.
I plan on having fun with it.
Posted By: Dioni Re: Scope Rant- Fixed Powers - 03/10/23
Swfa is supposedly coming out with a new line of scopes with more of a hunting focus some time in the next year
Shooters: I buy 3x9 scopes because that’s what they mostly make.

Scope makers: We make a lot of 3x9 scopes because that’s what guys scope their rifles with.
Posted By: las Re: Scope Rant- Fixed Powers - 03/10/23
I've a number of variously powered variables, mostly Leupolds. I'd trade every one of them even up for 6X40ish,good fixed scopes , including Tasco WC. My fav is a 6X40 fixed (gasp) WC Tasco. It's been with me for 30 years or so, still going strong. Right now it's on a (more gasp!) Remington 770 in '06. MOA + /- groups. My biggest bull caribou ever was 2 years ago, with this rig, at about 360 yards. Both tifle and scope were adequate for the task.

I've also a fine-crosshair Leupold 3X fiixed I should put on something. Probably the currently scopeless .243. So I can use both. It came on the '94 my oldest brother had for 25 years after my folks died and he , as executer of the will, gloomed it. I got it back when he died, tookmthe scope off and re-installed the aperature sight.

The longest shot I ever made was with an old steel-tube Weaver 3X9, set on (whoops!) 3X. I saw where the first round kicked up snow on the hillside below the cow caribou. Kentucky windage put the 2nd round through both shoulder blade. I'd forgotten it was set on 3X for shooting several caribou at 20 yards or so a couple hours before, as they bolted out the top of a ravine.

I don't know the (pre-rangefinder) range, but the 25-06 was zeroed 5 1/2 inches high at 100 yards, I I was holding 2nd shot just over her up-right head and ears. A fur piece, anyway. smile

I should get that now loose crosshair fixed again , I guess...dunno if I still can

.But yeah- pretty much what ironbender said. I hate anything labeled "tactical", and 3X9 scopes are creeping up on it... not that I'll quit using them.
I find I have my variable scopes set to 7x almost all the time where I hunt. Most of my scopes are 2.5-10 or 3.5-10. So it isnt a crazy thought I could get by just fine with a fixed 6x. Since I have never had an issue with a scope due to it being variable I have never given a fixed power much thought. My rifle spend a lot of time getting bounced around on a atv on rough logging roads so I have been really surprised I haven’t
Had more issues over the decades based on all these failures I read about. I use them for hunting only and not that many rounds run through them so maybe recoil is harder on them than being beat to death on an atv.
Question to ponder: Is a fixed 6x brighter than a 3-9x?
Posted By: Crash_Pad Re: Scope Rant- Fixed Powers - 03/10/23
Doug at Camera Land met the call for a "good fixed power 6." He found it was just a call. Not enough serious shooters were serious enough to buy them. Leupold stopped offering 1/2 minute dot 24x silhouette scopes . Then stopped offering custom shop changes too. There's too many tacticool scopes out there. But plenty room for 10 more every year. Reality, mate. She's a harsh mistress.
Posted By: TheBigSky Re: Scope Rant- Fixed Powers - 03/10/23
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Notwithstanding glass quality, etc., the answer would lie in the size of the objective lens of each and on what power the variable was set so as to determine the exit pupil.
Posted By: EdM Re: Scope Rant- Fixed Powers - 03/10/23
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
White a letter please repair I don’t want a new scope if it not repairable please send it back I repaired. Simple right
They sent back a 4.5x 14 hosious mat black thing with huge knobs I couldn’t put that on that 222
Made in China to boot.

Huh?
Posted By: tyman11B Re: Scope Rant- Fixed Powers - 03/10/23
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
Made in China to boot.
Did you just have a stroke right before typing that?
Posted By: dan_oz Re: Scope Rant- Fixed Powers - 03/11/23
Originally Posted by Triggernosis

It will have fewer lenses, so all else being equal it ought to be. All else being equal it should also be lighter and, having fewer moving parts, there's less to go wrong.
Posted By: WhiteFawn Re: Scope Rant- Fixed Powers - 03/11/23
It’s true enough that a fixed 4x is plenty good enough for aiming at critters and my 2.5x-8x is set on 4x most of the time.
What 4x doesn’t do is help me see which of a few deer weaving through brush is the one I want to shoot at or whether there is a suitable path for the bullet to travel through.
I have often been thankful for the easy advance of the power change ring to help me make that decision.
That being said, I wish there were still sights available like my 45 year old B&L Balvar that fit low to the rifle and were as reliable as this one. It’s not as bright as the new high tech glass but I haven’t had to take the adjustment caps off for years and then it was to adjust for a different bullet.
© 24hourcampfire