Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by TRexF16
Originally Posted by MTGunner
3-9 are good enough for those that still believe they need to get as close as one can possibly do so. ...
Guess I just like to get close enough to see the critters eyes. Then…one and done. MTG
I agree with your sentiment on stalking close, BUT...
At 9x a critter at 900 yards looks like it is at 100 yards, a range at which anyone with eyes ought to be able to easily hit the vitals with iron sights. Any myths to the contrary reflect a generation of brainwashing. I ran a Leupold 4x Compact on my .257 Roberts for a decade and routinely killed out to 400 yards and never lost an animal. A 9x would easily double that capability.

Mi Dos Centavos,
Rex

Yeah….. But higher magnification doesn’t equate to better shooting capability.

GB4

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Originally Posted by TRexF16
Originally Posted by MTGunner
3-9 are good enough for those that still believe they need to get as close as one can possibly do so. ...
Guess I just like to get close enough to see the critters eyes. Then…one and done. MTG
I agree with your sentiment on stalking close, BUT...
At 9x a critter at 900 yards looks like it is at 100 yards, a range at which anyone with eyes ought to be able to easily hit the vitals with iron sights. Any myths to the contrary reflect a generation of brainwashing. I ran a Leupold 4x Compact on my .257 Roberts for a decade and routinely killed out to 400 yards and never lost an animal. A 9x would easily double that capability.

Mi Dos Centavos,
Rex

Yeah….. But higher magnification doesn’t equate to better shooting capability.
Yes, of course not, and excellent point by you. BUT, shooting skill is not the point of the discussion, unless I missed something. The point was what magnification is needed for one to exploit his shooting skills. As you mentioned, increased magnification does not increase shooting skill.
But, assuming shooting skill and doping ability is adequate, my point was just that 9x ought to be enough, since it does, inarguably, make a critter at 900 yards appear as large as he would at 100 yards with irons.
That's all,
Rex

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Lots of good scopes in the used market
I hear you about the Wanda be snipers
I sent back a nice little compact 2x7 Burris
Had somthing doll oat IH around in it
White a letter please repair I don’t want a new scope if it not repairable please send it back I repaired. Simple right
This was on a sweet nice wood ADL in 222 rem
They sent back a 4.5x 14 hosious mat black thing with huge knobs I couldn’t put that on that 222
I gave the scope away in discuss and silt the rifle.
They claim that all the build now.
Made in China to boot.
I’ll use a Japan scope but usa for me thanks

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by moosemike
I'm all about fixed powers. Especially 2.5 and 4's. I'd love to see more choices

My primary hunting rifle wears a FX-II in 4x. I've never seen the need to jack that up and the zero has stayed put for 10+ years, 180s are 2.5" high @ 100, and 200s are dead-on.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by SCgman1
Originally Posted by OGB
I assume that by "suck" you mean that the ones being produced don't give you the reticle/dial-up capability that you are after?

Leupold still advertises 3 fixed power scopes but you can have them in one reticle configuration only. I know everyone poo-poo talks them but for a set and forget scope they're a lot for the money. I'm going to be getting a 6X42 for a rifle that is inbound right now.

Can you elaborate on how you settled on leopold's fx 6x42?....

Sure,
Simplicity, been using a variety of variables for years to include dial ups. Nothing against them just want one that is point and shoot.
Want to try it in 6x as it seems like plenty for shots out past my limit on game yet not so much that I can't get on a deer at 50yds.
Weight, the intended recipient is 8lbs naked.
It's not going on a "swamp rifle". I have rifles for that.
It is going on an old MK V in 270WBY and it just seems appropriate.
The goal is to zero high steppin 130s at 300yds making it very easy to "hold" out to 400.
I plan on having fun with it.

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
IC B2

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Swfa is supposedly coming out with a new line of scopes with more of a hunting focus some time in the next year

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Shooters: I buy 3x9 scopes because that’s what they mostly make.

Scope makers: We make a lot of 3x9 scopes because that’s what guys scope their rifles with.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I've a number of variously powered variables, mostly Leupolds. I'd trade every one of them even up for 6X40ish,good fixed scopes , including Tasco WC. My fav is a 6X40 fixed (gasp) WC Tasco. It's been with me for 30 years or so, still going strong. Right now it's on a (more gasp!) Remington 770 in '06. MOA + /- groups. My biggest bull caribou ever was 2 years ago, with this rig, at about 360 yards. Both tifle and scope were adequate for the task.

I've also a fine-crosshair Leupold 3X fiixed I should put on something. Probably the currently scopeless .243. So I can use both. It came on the '94 my oldest brother had for 25 years after my folks died and he , as executer of the will, gloomed it. I got it back when he died, tookmthe scope off and re-installed the aperature sight.

The longest shot I ever made was with an old steel-tube Weaver 3X9, set on (whoops!) 3X. I saw where the first round kicked up snow on the hillside below the cow caribou. Kentucky windage put the 2nd round through both shoulder blade. I'd forgotten it was set on 3X for shooting several caribou at 20 yards or so a couple hours before, as they bolted out the top of a ravine.

I don't know the (pre-rangefinder) range, but the 25-06 was zeroed 5 1/2 inches high at 100 yards, I I was holding 2nd shot just over her up-right head and ears. A fur piece, anyway. smile

I should get that now loose crosshair fixed again , I guess...dunno if I still can

.But yeah- pretty much what ironbender said. I hate anything labeled "tactical", and 3X9 scopes are creeping up on it... not that I'll quit using them.

Last edited by las; 03/10/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I find I have my variable scopes set to 7x almost all the time where I hunt. Most of my scopes are 2.5-10 or 3.5-10. So it isnt a crazy thought I could get by just fine with a fixed 6x. Since I have never had an issue with a scope due to it being variable I have never given a fixed power much thought. My rifle spend a lot of time getting bounced around on a atv on rough logging roads so I have been really surprised I haven’t
Had more issues over the decades based on all these failures I read about. I use them for hunting only and not that many rounds run through them so maybe recoil is harder on them than being beat to death on an atv.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Question to ponder: Is a fixed 6x brighter than a 3-9x?

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Doug at Camera Land met the call for a "good fixed power 6." He found it was just a call. Not enough serious shooters were serious enough to buy them. Leupold stopped offering 1/2 minute dot 24x silhouette scopes . Then stopped offering custom shop changes too. There's too many tacticool scopes out there. But plenty room for 10 more every year. Reality, mate. She's a harsh mistress.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Notwithstanding glass quality, etc., the answer would lie in the size of the objective lens of each and on what power the variable was set so as to determine the exit pupil.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
White a letter please repair I don’t want a new scope if it not repairable please send it back I repaired. Simple right
They sent back a 4.5x 14 hosious mat black thing with huge knobs I couldn’t put that on that 222
Made in China to boot.

Huh?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
Made in China to boot.
Did you just have a stroke right before typing that?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Triggernosis

It will have fewer lenses, so all else being equal it ought to be. All else being equal it should also be lighter and, having fewer moving parts, there's less to go wrong.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
It’s true enough that a fixed 4x is plenty good enough for aiming at critters and my 2.5x-8x is set on 4x most of the time.
What 4x doesn’t do is help me see which of a few deer weaving through brush is the one I want to shoot at or whether there is a suitable path for the bullet to travel through.
I have often been thankful for the easy advance of the power change ring to help me make that decision.
That being said, I wish there were still sights available like my 45 year old B&L Balvar that fit low to the rifle and were as reliable as this one. It’s not as bright as the new high tech glass but I haven’t had to take the adjustment caps off for years and then it was to adjust for a different bullet.

Last edited by WhiteFawn; 03/10/23. Reason: Spelling
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (160user, 007FJ, 1234, 1Longbow, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 59 invisible), 2,219 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,919
Posts18,479,696
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.